Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Replaced my cigarette lighter fuse today, testing bulbs by sticking them in the lighter socket isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I've not done much to our cars recently as they don't have anything wrong with them!! Apart from replacing a worn gearbox mount on my Wife's '05 Focus. Took about 6 mins from start to finish last Sat. I have to say the Focus is easy to work on, not like the A4 I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

13567105_1300134506664263_3109333584214431149_n.jpg?oh=e3f8d7b9d1b3f0ad67147f8e0785f8a0&oe=57F79302

Sooo... it is impossible to get a front exhaust for a 4cyl E30 in Cork.

Interesting... very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My boge repair on my exhaust bracket failed. Only noticed it whilst was getting tires. I know someone that will repair it though so that's something for next week.

• Advertisement

nothing too difficult today, but a bit time consuming (removing the wheel, fiddling with it, putting it back together...)

I hit a really bad pothole last weekend here in Cork (Bishopstown) and this was the result:

20160626_143403.jpg

One susp. top mount was 12 euro which is not that bad, so I bought two (just in case, but will probably replace the other too). If something like this happens next time, I will stop, call the guards to have it documented and then have the car towed and repaired. Then I would send the bill to Cork city city council.

like seriously, roada are really bad (still). I don't really remember them being good ffs.

20160702_155348.jpg

20160702_155402.jpg

20160702_155522.jpg

20160702_162225.jpg

20160702_162316.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

So jealous! E30s are just pure seeeex :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Let it be known, comfort access on E65 7 series is pure muck. This handle is only 2 years old and it's failed already. Everyone complains about them, a ridiculous design. The internal cables fray, corrode and inevitably short, preventing the system from working.

Handle apart:

a1_zpsf7k9suib.jpg~original

The break in the red cable:

a2_zpsyprkdcpp.jpg~original

Start soldering:

a3_zps4usrgyef.jpg~original

Job done:

a4_zpsczqu2nju.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Stress. The new golf needs a lot of work. Mechanic said chain is rattling, clutch slave, front pads and disks, bonnet cable.... Was onto the person I got it off he's either going to pay towards parts if we agree a price or else I'll be giving the car back to him. What a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

rizzee wrote: »
    Stress. The new golf needs a lot of work. Mechanic said chain is rattling, clutch slave, front pads and disks, bonnet cable.... Was onto the person I got it off he's either going to pay towards parts if we agree a price or else I'll be giving the car back to him. What a pity

God you're very lucky there if they are going to contribute!!! I would be telling you to fvck off if it was me!

Hope you get it sorted out with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    God you're very lucky there if they are going to contribute!!! I would be telling you to fvck off if it was me!

Hope you get it sorted out with them

Cars gone back to previous owner and I'm getting all my money back next week. That car was unlucky number 13!!

The search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Went to the garage today, got the ACC 15 AMP fuse replaced. I now have a radio, clock and the very unrealistic trip computer working again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Today I took my car to the garage?
    :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Today I took my car to the garage?
    :)

:D

I know, I know, I know didn't want to take credit for something I didn't do... :o

It was only €1 anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Stripped the two drivers seats from my Yaris and replacement them with leather seats (not a big job) donor seats came from a Saab.

Hoping to up grade the steering wheel to the newer style next.

Leatherseat_zpsur6bou4w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Muckie wrote: »
    Stripped the two drivers seats from my Yaris and replacement them with leather seats (not a big job) donor seats came from a Saab.

Hoping to up grade the steering wheel to the newer style next.

was there any modifying involved or was it straight forward? Im asking because you gave me an idea for my partners car :)

Honestly less work than i thought, or maybe i was lucky.

Tools need were a torx set for the Saab seats screws.

Glue gun and large flat screw driver as well as Philips screwdrivers.

Took about 3 hours per seat swap.

Take your time stripping the Saab seats, good few retaining spring and clips.

Yaris seat real easy.

Saab bottom seat is almost a perfect fit for the Yaris, even clipping underneath.
    (few touches with the glue gun help)

Bit of patience for the top part swap, some retaining springs can also be re-used.
    (head rest from the Yaris have to be re-used, unfortunately Saab ones wont fit)

Feels better too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's a great job fair play to you. Do all the electrics work on the seat, does it toast :D.

That's class muckie. What model of sabb are these from? Would love to this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Quick overdue change today, Upper Coolant Hose, original was still in 14 years/140k miles later.

IMG_20160707_204944_zpsof8nq1vy.jpg

IMG_20160707_205139_zpso6hvfwjl.jpg

And of course a well overdue wash with her buddy:

IMG_20160707_202808_zpsn2mkxefe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Is the back of the 5 series still on the standard suspension :confused::confused: Looks very high compared to the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Is the back of the 5 series still on the standard suspension :confused::confused: Looks very high compared to the front!

Yeah it is, rear coilovers are a bit of a pain to install and currently in the process of moving to a new unit so will hopefully be getting them in soon, have the front refresh ready to go in too, ABS module hopefully getting done in the next two weeks, rear tyres and a MAF after that I'd say.

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's a great job fair play to you. Do all the electrics work on the seat, does it toast :D.

No no working electrics im afraid...tis still an auld Yaris seats in Saab clothing :P

job seeker wrote: »
    That's class muckie. What model of sabb are these from? Would love to this myself.

Got these off a very nice chap in Adverts.

Far as i can tell there from a 00 model Saab 93.

Only slight issue they need a bit off extra padding from the old seat cushions still.
    (job for the weekend, so dont throw away the old seats just yet if you do this)

Bit of trial and error, think McGyver would be proud :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Yeah it is, rear coilovers are a bit of a pain to install and currently in the process of moving to a new unit so will hopefully be getting them in soon, have the front refresh ready to go in too, ABS module hopefully getting done in the next two weeks, rear tyres and a MAF after that I'd say.

Less diffin lawwwwd

Muckie wrote: »
    Got these off a very nice chap in Adverts.

Far as i can tell there from a 00 model Saab 93.

Only slight issue they need a bit off extra padding from the old seat cushions still.
    (job for the weekend, so dont throw away the old seats just yet if you do this)

Bit of trial and error, think McGyver would be proud :P

Would there be a guide any where online or how did you know his would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Small update regarding this --> [post]99930395[/post]

Last weekend's job posted today. The task: allow access to fuel pump assy from the top. :(

01hole2small_phm.jpg

Cut:

02hole_OK_phm.jpg

Some random rubbish from a shed good enough to become The Nut Removing/Replacing Special Tool. :D

03_SST_phm.jpg

Cover back on. Duck tape, be grand. :cool:

04begrand_phm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Got a load done with Fancy Pigeon on the Roadater last night.
    New alternator and belt in, aircon compressor, pulleys and pipe work out, cabin is now completely clear and stripped out, heater matrix was taken out and bypasses using salvaged parts (maybe for the time being or maybe for good, depending on how it holds out) and a coolant change.

Next Friday we hope to get the dashboard and stearing wheel back in the car, bolt down the seats which I'll take inside to clean during the week and it'll be time to spin it around the block! :D

Still needs 4 tyres, pads and disks to be sure of them and I'll give it another oil change and a pair of rolly Windows, after that it's tax and insurance time.
    Progress is a beautiful thing!

2eevert.jpg

Copper pipe from the heater matrix cut out using a borrowed junior hacksaw, made flat and deburred using the garden wall and the end of a pick, slotted in between the pieces of silicone hose and bam, heater matrix bypassed!

Did the basics this weekend - oil, oil filter and air filter on the micra. Oil filter is always a bit messy when unscrewing from underneath.

Spotted a tear in the cv boot though, that's the plan either for tomorrow or sometime before NCT on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Done timing belt on 1995 Volvo 850 t5r yesterday morning. Old belt looked terrible
    IMAG0837_zpsvi8syz6r.jpg
    IMAG0838_zpsmgnosnhe.jpg
    IMAG0839_zpsiek3pjw4.jpg
    Also changed the plugs and adjusted handbrake while I was at it. Grand mornings work. She's running like a beaut now

Advertisement