Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park wins. Car ban on Bachelors Walk reversed. Bikes on Benburb st too.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

trellheim wrote: »
    but doesn't that create a conflict and a big one with lots of buses having to turn right onto the bachelors walk vs southbound Capel St traffic ? its already a huge wait on Capel St already , frequently back to the cinemas on Parnell St .

Reverse the direction of traffic on the lower section of Capel st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Apologies if this has been covered but what are the plans for north to south buses that use Dolier Street/College Green currently.

16, 46a, 145 to name but a few??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered but what are the plans for north to south buses that use Dolier Street/College Green currently.

16, 46a, 145 to name but a few??

This will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Major-changes-proposed-to-routes-using-College-Green-bus-corridor/

Dublin Bus have put their own submission on the plans on their website which raises some of the concerns expressed here:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-submission-to-the-College-Green-Public-Consultation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lxflyer wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have put their own submission on the plans on their website which raises some of the concerns expressed here:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-submission-to-the-College-Green-Public-Consultation/

Well, technically this thread is just about the Quays/Liffey Cycle Path plans, not College Green, but it's hard to take them all separately really.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well, technically this thread is just about the Quays/Liffey Cycle Path plans, not College Green, but it's hard to take them all separately really.

That's precisely the point!

The point of this thread was an article the publication of the updated City Centre Traffic Study.

It's impossible to look at any of these schemes in isolation - they need to be looked at as a whole.

Most of the issues arising on the Quays arise from the diversion of buses from College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Which is why it's maddening that DCC are backing away from their Quays plans when they're still (publicly) full steam ahead on the College Green Plaza. Knowing DCC they'll half-scrap everything, and leave us with a half-arsed mish mash that helps no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's precisely the point!

The point of this thread was an article the publication of the updated City Centre Traffic Study.

It's impossible to look at any of these schemes in isolation - they need to be looked at as a whole.

Most of the issues arising on the Quays arise from the diversion of buses from College Green.

Yes of course it is supposed to be a "total" project. But at the last minute cars were suddenly back on Bachelor's Walk having been banned in the original plan, and bikes were diverted to Benburb Street.

The only happy thought I have at the moment, is that buses are not being funnelled down Benburb Street. Mad idea that. But now gone so that's progress at least.

As for the rest of it, as someone else said, a mish mash of this and that may be the end result.

I just dunno anymore. I suppose it will have to be built and they will come or something! At least when it's done we will be able to see whether it works or not. Probably too late then.

Anyway, the fact that something is being done is positive. Whether the end result works or not, remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

Good point made in DB submission that the quays and Parliament St now become a real critical failure point - one breakdown/accident will really snarl stuff up

the study goes on to point out as we are saying here that doing this in isolation is silly - it needs to be a whole city centre approach for all modes, the plaza cannot be a standalone thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MJohnston wrote: »

We can safely say the thread covers anything related to the city centre transport study... But maybe we could do with anew thread looking at the document and comparing it to the two drafts?

monument wrote: »
    We can safely say the thread covers anything related to the city centre transport study... But maybe we could do with anew thread looking at the document and comparing it to the two drafts?

I do think we need to pull all this together in one place - as a process it's already way too disjointed (as you observed before).

Thanks again for putting the document up!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Any comments?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0520/789903-dublin-traffic/

Bachelors walk is a disaster at the moment. Don't know how this decision will improve things.

But am glad that the cycle route and not buses will go on Benburb Street.

Taxis to be allowed on College Green too.

The chance for a major change has been lost. Car parks and taxis win.

Great news. Looks like a move in the right direction. DCC on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Roadhawk wrote: »

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Roadhawk wrote:

Yeah more of the gridlock we had on the quays this morning woohoo!

Because I have nothing better to do than sit in traffic for 10+ minutes

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah more of the gridlock we had on the quays this morning woohoo!

Because I have nothing better to do than sit in traffic for 10+ minutes

Well my own understanding of the article in the OP is that if the dual cycle-track was implemented that motorist traffic would have been reduced to one lane so how would this cause more gridlock?

What mode of transport do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Well my own understanding of the article in the OP is that if the dual cycle-track was implemented that motorist traffic would have been reduced to one lane so how would this cause more gridlock?

What mode of transport do you use?

Pvt car/motor traffic will be reduced to one lane regardless, as there will be 2 bus lanes on both north and south quays to facilitate the additional buses that the quays will be expected to take

But its not ideal as the space will be shared with cyclists - the additional number of crossing buses along Ormond , the requirement for motor access to Jervis St to be maintained going in, and Liffey St coming out means those vehicles will now have to traverse two bus lanes ( doesn't happen on Pearse St inbound double lane as Trinity hasn't got a lot of traffic turning in ) . Jervis takes a LOT of traffic very quickly and frequently backs up a little for seconds at a time - even with a box junction there this will be hard to manage effectively. ( private motorists turning in must now deconflict two bus lanes and a bike lane - which to me screams huge risk factor ) .

Ive never seen a double bus lane anywhere i have been and i consider myself to be well traveled. I guess it would look like this?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN5KuVr_k75onxEXjcAp_Kt-eGJQyyy5TR7JVWwlft8wuA48NtNw

It looks like it would be a complete mess if they go ahead with it.

If the cycle track is to follow the Luas lines on Benburb St do you really think cyclist will follow the track or just use the "double bus lane"?

Well you've clearly not explored Dublin by bus much!

Just go to Pearse Street and you will see one.

Inside lane is to allow buses call at bus stops. Outside lane allows buses pass by buses at stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

It looks like it would be a complete mess if they go ahead with it.

If the cycle track is to follow the Luas lines on Benburb St do you really think cyclist will follow the track or just use the "double bus lane"?

Cyclists are not the issue, anything that encourages people to move from car to public transport/walking or cycling should be applauded.

The problem is the number of buses that are being rerouted due to College Green Plaza and that the Parliament Street - Bachelors Walk route will not be able to take them(and this is before the changes to allow a single car lane on Bachelors Walk to facilitate a left turn to O'Connell St)

Well you've clearly not explored Dublin by bus much!

Just go to Pearse Street and you will see one.

Inside lane is to allow buses call at bus stops. Outside lane allows buses pass by buses at stops.

Oh yeah i just google mapped it.
    Pretty nifty. I probably never noticed that because there are another 2 lanes for cars. Surprised i never noticed that before as i would be in and out of Pearse Garda station on a regular basis.:o

Oh yeah i just google mapped it.
    Pretty nifty. I probably never noticed that because there are another 2 lanes for cars. Surprised i never noticed that before as i would be in and out of Pearse Garda station on a regular basis.:o

It's there since last year when the LUAS works closed Nassau St westbound and all the buses were rerouted via Westland Row and Pearse St.

Cyclists are not the issue, anything that encourages people to move from car to public transport/walking or cycling should be applauded.

The problem is the number of buses that are being rerouted due to College Green Plaza and that the Parliament Street - Bachelors Walk route will not be able to take them(and this is before the changes to allow a single car lane on Bachelors Walk to facilitate a left turn to O'Connell St)

I wasnt implying that cyclists were the issue. I was suggesting that cyclists should share the double bus lane instead of incurring an extra cost of a cycle track of the beat and track?

Bachelors walk is pretty congested as is. I dont agree with the single lane to turn left, seems pointless. In my view there should be no turn left onto O'Connell St. divert traffic up and around by custom house.

In my view there should be no turn left onto O'Connell St. divert traffic up and around by custom house.
    You don't own a car park then I take it. :)

But seriously . Was'n there supposed to be a cycle lane or did I miss one ? I know there isn't one on Ormond quay but wasn't it supposed to be added.

trellheim wrote: »
    You don't own a car park then I take it. :)

But seriously . Was'n there supposed to be a cycle lane or did I miss one ? I know there isn't one on Ormond quay but wasn't it supposed to be added.

I am primarily a motorist ill have you know. ;)

Well the bus lane on Ormond Quay is a shared lane for cyclists. Do you mean a segregated lane for cyclists only?

There is supposed to now be a segregated two way cycle lane along the North Quays between O'Connell Bridge and Church Street in addition to a double bus lane where there are bus stops and a single traffic lane.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans!!

There is supposed to now be a segregated two way cycle lane along the North Quays between O'Connell Bridge and Church Street in addition to a double bus lane where there are bus stops and a single traffic lane.

Yes I think this was supposed to be the case which is why I was talking about it above - one of the things Monument had put round for the benburb cycle lane had this as well.

the only possible sane way I can see of this is making the boardwalk a cycle lane ! Otherwise it will be bloody mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans!!

Me too, currently we have 3 lanes on Bachelor's walk with some very tight spaces for pedestirans, They are proposing 2 bus lanes, a general lane and a double bike lane= 1 traffic lane.

2+1+1=4 lanes on our current 3 lanes, can't wait to see what the Hudinis at DCC put out, no doubt the liffey cycle route will be gone.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Me too, currently we have 3 lanes on Bachelor's walk with some very tight spaces for pedestirans, They are proposing 2 bus lanes, a general lane and a double bike lane= 1 traffic lane.

2+1+1=4 lanes on our current 3 lanes, can't wait to see what the Hudinis at DCC put out, no doubt the liffey cycle route will be gone.

I would be very surprised if it goes completely. if anything it could be re-routed. Im sure the current cycle re-route through Benburb St could be extented past Church St on Chancery St - Marys Abbey - Abbey St - Etc basically follow the Luas lines?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement