Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

bruschi wrote: »
    It was 4 sent off, and it was hard to argue with any of them. The no 5 as you say, and it was No 2 for the Martins who ripped his helmet off then. The No 4 for Cloughbawn pulled across a Martins players head, and it all kicked off after Daithi Waters reacted to the initial wild pull, which is natural to do, but he did instigate the row. There were others who were lucky they werent sent off too, as there was other sending off offences as well. To be honest, I dont think it was an over reaction, it was stupidity on the players part, and they have to start copping on and stop blaming refs for these things.

I just thought two sending offs would have been enough. I wasn't ar the game but heard from a neutral who was that the linesman was the man who forced the issue on the sending offs. I saw the youtube and think that really it wasn't much of a row at all. Like I said, 2 off would have been plenty. The linesman in question reffed a game earlier in the year and sent off six as well. He sent off two for very little I believe in a round four intermediate hurling championship game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Grueller wrote: »
    I just thought two sending offs would have been enough. I wasn't ar the game but heard from a neutral who was that the linesman was the man who forced the issue on the sending offs. I saw the youtube and think that really it wasn't much of a row at all. Like I said, 2 off would have been plenty. The linesman in question reffed a game earlier in the year and sent off six as well. He sent off two for very little I believe in a round four intermediate hurling championship game.

no need to speak in riddles. It was Brendan Martin, and I'd agree with all you think of him. But in this instance, could you see any of those sent off getting off? I couldnt, because they all committed red card offences. It was utterly pointless for so many to jump in like that, and it's time players and teams accepted responsibility for their actions, rather than blaming refs every time.

bruschi wrote: »
    no need to speak in riddles. It was Brendan Martin, and I'd agree with all you think of him. But in this instance, could you see any of those sent off getting off? I couldnt, because they all committed red card offences. It was utterly pointless for so many to jump in like that, and it's time players and teams accepted responsibility for their actions, rather than blaming refs every time.

Sorry Bruschi I didn't know that I can name individuals like that or not on this site. I generally agree with your point about players accepting responsibility but there wasnt even a dig thrown bar the helmet incident and the initial pull. I have no problem with referees showing reds when necessary but I just thought that they were a bit quick out in this case. Btw I have absolutely no connection to either club I am from as far away from both as I could be geographically.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

big shock today with Ramsgrange beating the Annes. Castletown had a 1 point win over Fethard, Martins hammered Adamstown and Shels beat the Starlights after extra time. Not sure if a draw has been made yet for the semis, but Martins and Shels would be my pick from those.

Draw still to be made afaik. Can't see the Martins being beaten from here on out.
    Duffry gone from being intermediate finalists last season to being relegated this. That is them down to inter A in both codes. Shows how competitive intermediate is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rathnure hold onto senior status with a one point victory over Shamrocks Final score 1-15 to 2-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Castletown seem to be getting a run. Will fear none of the teams left in the draw

Castletown seem to be getting a run. Will fear none of the teams left in the draw

You are biased though;-)
    I think they would account for the Shels and The James to be fair. If they can avoid the Martins in the semis they should make the final and then it is only 60 minutes amd one winner from two teams. Martins should be favourites followed by Castletown imo. Draw is tomorrow night afaik.

In intermediate I cannot see Bunclody or Bannow troubling Kilanerin or Glynn. The winner should come from these two with Glynn as slight favourites as they may have a man to negate Mattie some bit in Tierney while maybe having an edge around the middle. Willie Carley is also a serious man to set up a team to negate opposition as shown by the hidings Craanford have been getting since he left.

Agree with all of the above sentiments, and a lot depends on the Shels-Martins hurling quarter final at the weekend.The winners of that will have one eye on possibly doing the double, and may take the eye off the ball in football unintentionally. But it is certainly a wide-open draw in the senior football, and neither team will rightly fear anyone.

Glynn have been my silent pick to win Intermediate all year, but again their hurling exploits may affect them. But they seem to have as equally a well-balanced team as Kilarnerin, and while they don't boast the likes of Matty in their ranks, may have a better spread of forwards to the job up front if they manage to contain Matty. Will be very surprised if someone other than them two win the championship

Castletown vs Martins and Shels vs James the semi final draw.

Castletown and Martins must be sick of the sight of each other at this stage.

• Advertisement

Castletown vs Martins and Shels vs James the semi final draw.

Castletown and Martins must be sick of the sight of each other at this stage.

I would reckon that it will be a shels vs St Martins final. These two also meet next weekend in the hurling quarter finals.

The Intermediate semi finals have thrown up a big pairing too in the meeting of Kilanerin and Glynn. I genuinely cannot call this. I have had a feeling for Glynn all year but with Mattie hitting top form and grabbing a hat trick at the weekend I am tempted to change horse mid stream. Tempted I say. I think Glynn will sneak a lowish scoring game. In the other semi I think Bunclody will account for Bannow but there will not be a lot in it. Bunclody are prone to conceding scores and Niall Harney and Ben Brosnan could do real damage here. Bunclody by about 3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

0-Oct Top Oil Inter. A Hurling Cship Semi Final **JERSEYS** FETHARD v MONAGEER BVOGUE Wexford Park 2.30
    10-Oct Tom Doyle Supplies Senior Football Cship Semi Final Repaly ** Extra Time ** SHELMALIERS v ST. JAMES Wexford Park 4.00
    10-Oct The Courtyard Ferns Int. Hurling Cship Semi Final NAOMH ÉANNA v ASKAMORE Monamolin 3.00
    10-Oct The Courtyard Ferns Int. Hurling Cship Semi Final HWH BUNCLODY v CROSSABEG BMURN Monamolin 4.30
    10-Oct Junior B Hurling Semi Final ST. ANNES v DUFFRY ROVERS Taghmon 2.00
    10-Oct EEW Junior A Hurling Semi Final ST. MARTINS v BALLYHOGUE Taghmon 3.30
    10-Oct U21 Hurling Roinn I Semi-Final ADAMSTOWN v CRAANFORD Bree 2.00
    10-Oct U21 Hurling Roinn I Semi-Final OYLEGATE GLENBRIEN v FORTH & BARGY GAELS Bree 3.30
    11-Oct Pettitts Senior Hurling Chsip Semi Final OULART-THE BALLAGH v FAYTHE HARRIERS Wexford Park 1.30
    11-Oct Pettitts Senior Hurling Chsip Semi Final ST. MARTINS v GLYNN BARNTOWN Wexford Park 3.00
    16-Oct Lodgewood Eng Inter Football Cship Final GLYNN BARNTOWN v BANNOW BALLYMITTY Bellefield 8.00
    17/18 Oct Tom Doyle Supplies Senior Football Cship Final ST. MARTINS v ST. JAMES/SHELMALIERS PROV
    17/18 Oct Joyces Expert Inter A Football Cship Final ST. JOSEPHS v CROSSABEG BMURN PROV
    17/18 Oct The Courtyard Ferns Int. Hurling Cship Final NAOMH ÉANNA/ASKAMORE v HWH BUNCLODY/CBEG-B/MURN PROV
    17/18 Oct Top Oil Inter. A Hurling Cship Semi Final ST. JAMES v BALLYFAD PROV
    17/18 Oct Junior B Hurling Final ST. ANNES/DUFFRY ROVERS v ADAMSTOWN PROV
    17/18 Oct
    17/18 Oct Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior A Football Final OYLEGATE GBRIEN v ST. ANNES PROV
    17/18 Oct EEW Junior A Hurling Final BALLYHOGUE/ST. MARTINS v DAVIDSTOWN CCUDDY PROV
    17/18 Oct U21 Hurling Roinn I Final ADAMSTOWN/CRAANFORD v OYLEGATE/FORTH & BARGY GAELS PROV
    7 Shares

I see the Intermediate football final fixed for a Friday night under lights. Is this a first for a game of this stature in the county?
    There are pros and cons to this.
    It may suit a lot of neutrals as the timing of the game will not clash with much else even considering family and work commitments.
    I think it is also preferrable to a Saturday game due to a lot of people who may want to attend having work commitments of a Saturday.

The cons are all against the players imo. With a lot of guys in college and working in Dublin etc having the game on a work evening may be awkward for team preparation etc.

Hard to see Glynn being beaten here too to be honest.

I think the reason the mach is on Friday is that the winners will be involved in Leinster Club action on the Sunday.

I see the Intermediate football final fixed for a Friday night under lights. Is this a first for a game of this stature in the county?
    There are pros and cons to this.
    It may suit a lot of neutrals as the timing of the game will not clash with much else even considering family and work commitments.
    I think it is also preferrable to a Saturday game due to a lot of people who may want to attend having work commitments of a Saturday.

The cons are all against the players imo. With a lot of guys in college and working in Dublin etc having the game on a work evening may be awkward for team preparation etc.

Hard to see Glynn being beaten here too to be honest.

The winners of Fridays nights match will be involved in Leinster club action on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Things going from bad to worse under Liam Dunne, another shambles of a performance at hone against Offaly. :mad:

Any prospects of doing anything with the crop of lads from the U21's over the last few years are long gone if Dunne & the present management setup is left in place! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Could not believe what I was seeing in the park yesterday. Im sad to say it was one of the most soul-less performance from a Wexford team Ive ever witnessed. Its probably a bit unfair, but there did not seem to be one bit of fight or pride in any of those lads. Offaly deserved their win on effort alone.

It appears all is not well within the senior hurling camp. Although if the rumours of a player unrest are true, then you have to take pity on Dunne. Surely, surely, after four years under his tutelage, the panel knew what they were getting, and had they held any concerns about hitting a glass-ceiling in terms of progression, then they should have voiced their concerns when the year ended in such a damp squib last year. Waiting after an indifferent run of results, in the week leading up to a league quarter-final, and with the championship suddenly only around the corner, looks bad from all concerned, and feels like shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

Then again, it's widely known that the clubs failed to support Dunne's reappointment in the first place, so the fact the County Board went ahead and renewed his tenure anyway, means the blame lies solely at their door.

He was a divisive personality while over Oulart too apparently. His media handling smacks of someone who would be hard to get along with over a period of time.
    The one thing I will always say though is very few players who are getting games ever get disillusioned. It is usually those who want games or get dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭big_drive

Does anyone here know if Lash Go Leor hurley makers still operate?

Got a couple from them a few years ago and they were quite good but not sure if they're still in business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Yeah they're still going strong. Club got sticks off them last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiredout

Anyone at any recent club hurling games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

More desperate stuff from the Wexford senior hurlers under Liam Dunne FFS!

Getting beaten by double scores again, we are going backwards every year since John Myers was manager IMO:mad:

Winning underage, club & provincial titles but the senior side are finished for many years to come it seems. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

More desperate stuff from the Wexford senior hurlers under Liam Dunne FFS!

Getting beaten by double scores again, we are going backwards every year since John Myers was manager IMO:mad:

Winning underage, club & provincial titles but the senior side are finished for many years to come it seems. :mad:

Footballers weren't much better. I actually felt bad for Daithi Waters. The efforts of some of his teammates was shocking. The number 10 for example. I've never seen such dishonesty in terms of effort from an inter county player. He stood still for 65 minutes and for the other 5 he jogged like it was an effort.

I remember growing up and looking over the border to Carlow and Wicklow and thinking that it must be terrible to be from a county like theirs in GAA terms. No good at either code and nothing to cheer about, players who seemed to be happy to get a county jersey and be seen as the county man in their local parish without ever seeming to have the desire to push on and try win with the county.
    This evening I know how they felt. The footballers I think seem to be an honest bunch and seem to put in a shift under difficult circumstances with players opting for hurling and always being seen as the poor relation in the county.
    The hurlers seem to be a different kettle of fish altogether. We have had a crop of supposedly talented under 21s that have been hyped up as a renaissance within the county. They won leinster titles and fair play for that, but they were shown up badly lacking two years of the three by Antrim and Limerick. They were respectable against Clare but only respectable. I just think that they lack substance. Nice hurlers but happy to be that. No dog of war among them at all. Daithi Waters was discarded quickly but I would feel sure that the Dublin half backs would have felt like they were in a battle had he been in among them for 70 minutes. No drive or desire at all.
    I may as well be from Carlow or Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I remember growing up and looking over the border to Carlow and Wicklow and thinking that it must be terrible to be from a county like theirs in GAA terms. No good at either code and nothing to cheer about, players who seemed to be happy to get a county jersey and be seen as the county man in their local parish without ever seeming to have the desire to push on and try win with the county.
    This evening I know how they felt. The footballers I think seem to be an honest bunch and seem to put in a shift under difficult circumstances with players opting for hurling and always being seen as the poor relation in the county.
    The hurlers seem to be a different kettle of fish altogether. We have had a crop of supposedly talented under 21s that have been hyped up as a renaissance within the county. They won leinster titles and fair play for that, but they were shown up badly lacking two years of the three by Antrim and Limerick. They were respectable against Clare but only respectable. I just think that they lack substance. Nice hurlers but happy to be that. No dog of war among them at all. Daithi Waters was discarded quickly but I would feel sure that the Dublin half backs would have felt like they were in a battle had he been in among them for 70 minutes. No drive or desire at all.
    I may as well be from Carlow or Wicklow.

The success at U21 grade is Leinster has been excellent over the last three years. But some of these U21's players will need to come through, and step up to the mark at senior level. Today's performance was one of the worst of any Wexford side, with regard to hunger and passion in a very long time. It's as if they didn't want to be there. Terrible game to watch.

It's going to be a long hard road through the qualifiers. JJ Doyle might be a better replacement to Dunne in the future me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Conas wrote: »
    The success at U21 grade is Leinster has been excellent over the last three years. But some of these U21's players will need to come through, and step up to the mark at senior level. Today's performance was one of the worst of any Wexford side, with regard to hunger and passion in a very long time. It's as if they didn't want to be there. Terrible game to watch.

It's going to be a long hard road through the qualifiers. JJ Doyle might be a better replacement to Dunne in the future me thinks.

JJ doyle me arse, had a gud crop for last 4 years and did **** all need a clean sweep now, liam Dunne id say hardly passed his inter cert for godsake we need somebody who can see what's goin on. We can't even do a half decent short puckout and Fitzy the keeper coach? Another lad who can't keep a 9 ta 5? Why? Too solid thick stupid that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Diarmuid devereux has a lot to blame, he pushed for dunne to be appointed
    Again,now he is a bean counter and the centre off excellence in ferns was his priority so it no suprise at the result really

I was just thinking on the hurlers last night. I attend a lot of club matches and I am fairly sure that Dunne has the vast majority of the best players in the county on that panel in terms of talent and ball players. It is a desire issue with that team because they are not that bad. Who do you blame for the lack of leadership? Personally I think it must be management and it looks to me that the players are not playing for them. If this is the case and they have lost the dressing room they should go immediately as they would have absolutely no future.
    Its ironic really, given that I heard a rumour during the week that Danny Sutcliffe had left the Dublin panel due to Cunningham losing the Dublin dressing room, yet they beat us by double scores. Sad indictment in my view.
    Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

68deville wrote: »
    JJ doyle me arse, had a gud crop for last 4 years and did **** all need a clean sweep now, liam Dunne id say hardly passed his inter cert for godsake we need somebody who can see what's goin on. We can't even do a half decent short puckout and Fitzy the keeper coach? Another lad who can't keep a 9 ta 5? Why? Too solid thick stupid that's why

He has won three Leinster titles in a row, to say he achieved f-all is very harsh. Fair enough they were shown up badly against Limerick in last years final, but the Munster teams are very strong at that grade. Clare dominated for three years in a row.

Advertisement