Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA discussion thread

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Have we enough yellabellies here to sustain one of these?

Not much left to discuss on the county scene barring the 21s. Club championships starting to heat up now with one round of hurling groups left and two of football.

Football weekend up next with Kilanerin v Castletown as pick of the bunch. Kilanerin need the win more after getting a lifeline with the win over Horeswood. Hard to look past Castletown though as they are carrying far more experience and Kilanerin are in the very early stages of re-building. However with Matty back on board Kilanerin are always dangerous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good man. About time someone set this up. Hope there's plenty of lurkers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Yea sher why not? Up Wexford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the groups in hurling seem pretty much decided anyway, the only remaining issue as far as I can see is if it will be Adamstown or the Martins to play the Harriers in relegation final. And the last 4th place spot in group B is still up for grabs.

the football is a lot more open, with all teams in contention to get through or relegated. Adamstown look doomed in both the hurling and football.

Thoughts on a new football manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

We get to a quarter final in the hurling and a specific thread on boards.... Things are starting to look up..

Would seem fethard are in the relegation play off big shock there... Were comfortable beaten by the fintans last night... think they were missing the two foleys and lost turbirt to a black card..

New football manager for me Kevin Kehoe but there is serious talk of an ex player duo managment doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Hegarty and Leigh O'Brien by any chance?

• Advertisement

Fethard have a better head to head against Kilanerin though unless Kilanerin keep up the improvement in form.
    Kilanerin have a local derby and the Sarsfields, their bogey team left. Its far from decided in that group yet.

Fethard have a better head to head against Kilanerin though unless Kilanerin keep up the improvement in form.
    Kilanerin have a local derby and the Sarsfields, their bogey team left. Its far from decided in that group yet.

is there no semi finals in the football too this year? just straight into relegation final? didnt realise that was the case.

Ya 5th in a group is safe, but out of the championship. 6th go straight to the relegation final

Don't know why or how I totally forgot about killanerian .... Needless to say the fintans upset the apple cart in that group

U-21 Hurlers out on the 23rd. Would fancy our chances against galway. You would be expecting then to face Clare in final (although we should all know not to get ahead of ourselves).
    Camogie girls are on first in thurles which should be a decent triple header..

Ya the Fintans have been the big surprise. I am equally surprised by Fethards dip in form. From finalists last year and a great start to the group to being beaten yeice on the trot by teams they should be able to beat with minimum fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

County Board Chairman could be president of GAA

Just in from Castletown v Kilanerin. 2-13 to 0-12 to Castletown. Tbh they moved up 2 gears in the 3rd quarter aftet being level 5 points each @ half time. James Holmes did a lot of damage running at Kilanerin as did Pierce Maxwell from corner back. Matty was dangerous for Kilanerin once he moved inside but was out the field until too late. They were too reliant on Niall Hughes as a ball winner in the middle third which is unfair on a chap still a minor.
    Hard to judge Castletown but Kilanerin definitely in transition and look like they will be for a couple of years.

subpar wrote: »
    County Board Chairman could be president of GAA

Where is this coming from? In fairness he is a really good speaker and has been very transparent about the predicament we are in.

I seem to be talking to myself here!!!
    Anybody at the Horeswood Sars game yesterday? Horeswood pulled off a result that I didn't see coming after the ease with which Kilanerin beat them last day out.

Wasnt at Lethram but seems the sars struggled ... For me it will be castletown and martins for the title.. from what i have seen these are the stand out teams.

I have to say gizmo that despite the Martins glitch at the weekend I think they do look the strongest. Castletown looked good for about 15 minutes against Kilanerin and blew them away. I just have a sneaking feeling for St Annes for the title this year. If their dual efforts don't take too much out of the footballers.

I have to say gizmo that despite the Martins glitch at the weekend I think they do look the strongest. Castletown looked good for about 15 minutes against Kilanerin and blew them away. I just have a sneaking feeling for St Annes for the title this year. If their dual efforts don't take too much out of the footballers.

think we are on the same wave length i think the dual effort will be a bridge to far for the anne's tbh but there should be 4 top notch qf and have to say games i have seen the standard has been decent to good.

So saturday we have two teams out have tbh fancy the camogie girls and the u-21s to win. Camogie girls seem to have the bite back and will be hard to stop. Our U-21s are a savage team best i have seen in awhile and have options from the bench. Galway as always will have a strong underage team but lack of competitve games will haunt them.

yeah I think the Martins should give a good go of retaining the football. they should beat Adamstown with ease in the hurling which will finish their hurling season for the year, so should be able to give it a good crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Hello This is my first post ;

I have dual interests but hurling is my first love.

One thing that strikes me about about posters on the various forums (Wexford) is that there is very little interest out side the senior grades, given that there are 48 clubs and 12 senior clubs in senior in each grade that leaves 75% of clubs games not being covered.

The U21's

Well I am not so sure Galway will lack match practice given that they fielded a good few U21's against Cork in intermediate and they also played the Tipp senior training panel in recent matches. Wexford on the other hand have not played a match of any description since the Leinster final. They have not done much in terms of contested training work either due to the heavy club programme of recent weeks .

County Chairman For President.

I don't think so as he has no ambitions in that direction and has spoken his mind on a number of issues and stepped on too many toes at national level to garner the necessary votes and play the game that is needed to reach presidential office.

Senior Hurling Oulart
    Inter Hurling Askamore
    Inter A ( jaysus ?? Will take a chance on Fethard or Ballyfad or Monageer anyone of these 3.
    Jun Hurl St James

Senior Fball Martins
    Inter Fball St James (10th time lucky ?)
    Inter A Fball St Josephs
    Jun Fball Cushinstown

Co Inter Hurling Team

Well done on wining a rare Leinster Title but looking at the age profile of the team it did nothing for the development of new players and the only three who are young enough to make an imact for the seniors are Jamie Reck , Emmett Kent (Lovely hurler but his injuries seem to have impacted his pace) or Niall Breen

bruschi wrote: »
    yeah I think the Martins should give a good go of retaining the football. they should beat Adamstown with ease in the hurling which will finish their hurling season for the year, so should be able to give it a good crack.

Actually yeah, the martins being done hurling will be abig help. They have a good few dual players as well that are crucial to their football push.

• Advertisement

The Slobs wrote: »
    Hello This is my first post ;

I have dual interests but hurling is my first love.

One thing that strikes me about about posters on the various forums (Wexford) is that there is very little interest out side the senior grades, given that there are 48 clubs and 12 senior clubs in senior in each grade that leaves 75% of clubs games not being covered.

The U21's

Well I am not so sure Galway will lack match practice given that they fielded a good few U21's against Cork in intermediate and they also played the Tipp senior training panel in recent matches. Wexford on the other hand have not played a match of any description since the Leinster final. They have not done much in terms of contested training work either due to the heavy club programme of recent weeks .

County Chairman For President.

I don't think so as he has no ambitions in that direction and has spoken his mind on a number of issues and stepped on too many toes at national level to garner the necessary votes and play the game that is needed to reach presidential office.

Senior Hurling Oulart
    Inter Hurling Askamore
    Inter A ( jaysus ?? Will take a chance on Fethard or Ballyfad or Monageer anyone of these 3.
    Jun Hurl St James

Senior Fball Martins
    Inter Fball St James (10th time lucky ?)
    Inter A Fball St Josephs
    Jun Fball Cushinstown

Co Inter Hurling Team

Well done on wining a rare Leinster Title but looking at the age profile of the team it did nothing for the development of new players and the only three who are young enough to make an imact for the seniors are Jamie Reck , Emmett Kent (Lovely hurler but his injuries seem to have impacted his pace) or Niall Breen

Hey there TS. Really glad I started this thread now that we are gaining contributors.

On your predictions:
    Oulart, hard to disagree but it seems their time is coming to! be beaten, but who can do it? Ferns don't seem as strong as last year. St Annes may be the best hope but just look a little short, especially with dual comitments considered.
    Intermediate: I have seen Askamore twice. Really strong half back line and Nolan and Tomkins in the middle look outstanding this year. After this they are a little weaker with questions in my head at full back and in their whole full forward line. They will meet HWH in the quarters most likely and with this being a local derby and Colm Farrell and Aidan Nolan possibly able to tame the Askamore midfield this could be the game to trip them up. If they win this I don't see them being stopped.
    Intermediate A: Kilanerin going poor in the big ball leads me to think Ballyfad will win this as they have loads of hurling just never played enough of it. Also Willie Carleys pedigree is being shown with the crash Craanford are suffering since he left them.

Most Intermediate teams have fault lines in them some where and Askamore are no different given they have tailed in underage recently. (Although they have some younger teams on the go and always seem to operate in bursts)

I am not seeing the challenge to Oulart quite yet and experience and tradition will carry a long way with some clubs aka Oulart and Rathnure. May be hunger will push Ferns

I understand the u21 team is unchanged from the Leinster Final apart from the return of Garrett Foley from suspension.

Interesting to see that the Galway club games have being suspended for the last few weeks and are not scheduled again till mid September . I would not like to be a club player in that county.

Most Intermediate teams have fault lines in them some where and Askamore are no different given they have tailed in underage recently. (Although they have some younger teams on the go and always seem to operate in bursts)

I am not seeing the challenge to Oulart quite yet and experience and tradition will carry a long way with some clubs aka Oulart and Rathnure. May be hunger will push Ferns

I understand the u21 team is unchanged from the Leinster Final apart from the return of Garrett Foley from suspension.

Interesting to see that the Galway club games have being suspended for the last few weeks and are not scheduled again till mid September . I would not like to be a club player in that county.

Hey The slobs. Great to have another poster.

Regarding my statment with galway personally i find challenge games can be hard to gauge performance as there will never be same intensity with players fear of injury and the likes. I didnt know they had lads playing intermidiate against cork. Do you know how many started that game or played???

As for the divisions below senior - regarding hurling i havent really been paying attention as like you i am a dual supporter but football (for my sins) is my first love. So i wouldnt be adding anything informative to the discussion on that i am afraid may start heading to a few matches.. who would be the stand out teams in the divisions ???

regarding St.James they really are an oddity they should have realistically been promoted long before now with there squad but there is clearly something lacking in them. Bunclody and Rosslare have good teams. Was at the Ferns Rosslare game recently and have to say young Rossiter was great and i have never seen David Murphy have a worse game. they would be my promotion tips for this year

Re U21's I believe that any Galway U21 not involved with the seniors were included .

Picking the winners of Intermediate to Junior is akin to doing the lottery apart from Buffers Alley last year.

Intermediate Football is perhaps the most competitive grade in the county . David Murphy is heavily involved in coaching the Josephs for the past few years and they appear to be going well again this year inter A after blowing Crossabeg Ballymurn out of the water in last years Junior final. May be Murphy sees his role more in coaching than playing in the future and might be one to take on a minor or U21 County Panel

Camogie girls out of jail. A marquee forward in any code is a wonderful asset, and Una Leacy is certainly one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

U21 AI Hurling semi Wexford 1-21 Galway 1-19 final score :D

Well done lads! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

U21 AI Hurling semi Wexford 1-21 Galway 1-19 final score :D

Well done lads! :cool:

Congrats to Wexford, great win. Hope ye go on and win it now

U21
    Dug that one out in the last ten minutes .

Wexford really wanted that one more and it showed with some of the tackling and blocking which started in the forwards and spread through out the team and it really rattled Galway in that final period.

Many of the Wexford team were hammered as minors by Galway two years ago in an All Ireland qtr final, and to have turned that result around has being very positive for the development of hurling in the county.

Well done to all on a great victory which also contains plenty of lessons to be learned for the next match.

The final will have us firmly in our underdog position as Clare seek to complete a three in a row for a team which contains some really outstanding player's.

1965 was a long time ago and can we dare to dream.

U21
    Dug that one out in the last ten minutes .

Wexford really wanted that one more and it showed with some of the tackling and blocking which started in the forwards and spread through out the team and it really rattled Galway in that final period.

Many of the Wexford team were hammered as minors by Galway two years ago in an All Ireland qtr final, and to have turned that result around has being very positive for the development of hurling in the county.

Well done to all on a great victory which also contains plenty of lessons to be learned for the next match.

The final will have us firmly in our underdog position as Clare seek to complete a three in a row for a team which contains some really outstanding player's.

1965 was a long time ago and can we dare to dream.

A couple of points to add to this also.

Jj Doyle is surely doing his credentials no harm. A lot of people said he would be found out away from camogie. Well done to him. He is not aftaid to go to unfashionable clubs to find hurlers. Ballyfad, Crossabeg and St.Pats last year to name a few.

Also if I am correct 9 ofthat starting team are underage next year.

The forward movement is also really good on this team and with the seniors. I never before remember being excited by our forwards so all looks way better than a couple of years ago in the county.

• Advertisement

A couple of points to add to this also.

Jj Doyle is surely doing his credentials no harm. A lot of people said he would be found out away from camogie. Well done to him. He is not aftaid to go to unfashionable clubs to find hurlers. Ballyfad, Crossabeg and St.Pats last year to name a few.

Also if I am correct 9 ofthat starting team are underage next year.

The forward movement is also really good on this team and with the seniors. I never before remember being excited by our forwards so all looks way better than a couple of years ago in the county.

I'd agree that JJ is a great manager and is doing very well, but I also think you are overblowing his ability to go to 'unfashionable clubs'. I assume you are talking about Devitt and Padraig Foely for the Ballyfad and C'beg players, both being major players the whole way up during underage and Devitt is on the senior panel. Hardly Jj plucking them out from thin air. Who is the St Pats player? But again, Camolin are a decent hurling side and not outside the realms of where players could be found.

That isnt to detract from him though, but no need to make an absolute messiah out of him just yet, dont forget how last years AI semi final went.

I dont think we'll win the final, or even be close as this Clare side is truly exceptional, but its still a good sign to be progressing and developing.

Advertisement