Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Big game for Wexford Sunday, strong team named, Liam og missing though. This will be a good indicator where the hurlers are this year. A win and promotion is in our sites , a loss and it's another year in 1B, which isn't the end of the world either as it's quite competitive for Wexford as maybe we not ready yet, then on the other side players need exposure to 1a to improve them as a team. Waterford look to be cruising this year also and definitely capable of moving up to 1a also so plenty to play for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

1 MARK FANNING GLYNN BARNTOWN
    2 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    3 MATTHEW O’HANLON ST JAMES
    4 CIARAN KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    5 PADRAIG FOLEY CROSSABEG/BALLYMURN
    6 LEE CHIN FAYTHE HARRIERS
    7 ANDREW SHORE DAVIDSTOWN COURTNACUDDY
    8 DAVID REDMOND OULART THE BALLAGH
    9 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE ST ANNES
    10 JACK GUINEY RATHNURE
    11 DAITHI WATERS ST MARTINS
    12 IAN BYRNE FERNS ST AIDANS
    13 PAUL MORRIS FERNS ST AIDANS
    14 CONOR MCDONALD NAOMH EANNA
    15 PODGE DORAN OYLEGATE/GLENBRIEN
    16 NIALL BREEN TARA ROCKS
    17 HARRY KEHOE CLOUGHBAWN
    8 TOMAS WATERS ST MARTINS
    19 EOIN CONROY NAOMH EANNA
    20 CONOR DEVITT BALLYFAD
    21 JOE KELLY SHELMALIERS
    22 EANNA MARTIN SARSFIELDS CORK
    23 WILLIE DEVEREUX ST MARTINS
    24 RICHIE KEHOE FAYTHE HARRIERS

Any views on our chances for sunday

Liam Og has being our best forward this year and will be a huge loss.

The returning Morris and mc Donald is a plus and will address mcGoverns loss .

a chance for Podge to prove his worth as he is no longer a novice and also a chance to see if Dathi has what it takes after a mixed bag from the last two games

Midfield will get a real testing against one of hurlings best partnerships.

The half back line is interesting given Shores lack of match practice and how rookie foley who has being very sound to date and how he will stand up against a quality forward in Hannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭qwert55

I wouldn't be surprised if Wexford sneaked this one but if they meet later in the Championship it would probably be a different story,
    I have a feeling Waterford will top the group and qualify for 1A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

The Slobs wrote: »
    I always marveled at how Good Council get the Kilkenny Lads to play football.

It must be one of the greatest Dual colleges in Ireland serviced by the south wexford football heartland clubs combined with the Kilkenny and Carlow hurling clubs.

Good win for the counsel yesterday, and some impressive performances around the field. Joe Sutton, Ian Carty, Darragh Lyons to name but 3. All minor this year, so hopefully they will get some training in with the county set up before the westmeath game.

The set up they have there is like a professional academy. 2 double sessions of PE a week, and training after school too. Often happens that the majority of panels become dual, as it helps with training numbers and times. Always have had kilkenny players on football too, and key positions too. The AI team in 99 had Keith Madagan centre back and Mick Phelan corner forward. Not too many hurlers from Carlow anymore, not as much as previously anyway.

Good win for minor hurlers too over Dublin. Great to see them go up there and win well.

Today will be tough in both games. A win in both would be great and it would set the hurlers up for a great shot at promotion and the footballers a chance to stay up. I think we could lose both tho, for the hurlers it wouldn't be so bad, but it'd be a disaster for footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,030 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A frustrating afternoon encapsulated by Wexford's continued lack of composure in the shooting stakes and being devoid of a genuine Plan B . Wexford's best hurling occurred with quick low ball into Ogie and Morris, and it's no coincidence that as soon as Hickey was moved onto Ogie, that Limerick began to assert their authority. He totally nullified McGovern there on in, and it left Wexford trying hopeful long balls into the full forward line for the entire second half (only two of which resulting in a score). Any hurling enthusiast with even half a brain knows that Richie McCarthy is arguably the best full back in the modern game under a high ball, and he revelled in Wexford's pedestrian tactics in the second half, and was my man of the match overall. Jack Guiney continues to be the most frustrating hurler to watch in Ireland , and while fair enough he picked out a couple of nice passes that yielded dividends for us (the pass for Ogie's first in particular) such is is propensity to fire wide from silly attempts from play. It's all well and good him being consistent against the likes of Antrim and Offaly, but it's against Limerick and the other top 6 counties when it counts.

Wexford held a four point lead entering the final ten minutes but never looked like winning so long as they persisted with that route one into Guiney and then Conor Mc. I mean, Lee Chin is regarded as one of the most athletic midfielders in the game right now, and Dee O'Keeffe has garnered praise from Wexford fans for his energy too. Why not allow them run through the middle, and spray a few short hand passes around if only to keep possession? In contrast, Limerick had no qualms about throwing it around, and only gave the ball in when there was a man open in space. Squandered far less possession and shot less wides. Definitely further down the road than Wexford.

Personnel wise, In my own opinion I thought the two Waters' were poor. Daithi for all his honest work isn't the final piece in the jigsaw. Mossy got caught time and again, and needed Liam Ryan to bail him out a few times. Eoin Moore started very brightly but faded, and the opposite can be said of Padraig Foley. Redmond, Kehoe and O'Keeffe only played in fits and starts, and I found it odd that Dunne withdrew Morris and Byrne who were at least taking their scores (would have taken off Waters and Guiney personally).

Overall it's the same old story with Wexford, and bearing in mind the players both teams have to come back into contention, I'd fear Wexford will be having a shorter summer than the Treaty men.

• Advertisement

would agree with that summary of events. Before the game, if you said we'd have lost by one and been more than competitive, you'd probably be happy enough, but given the way the game went, it was very much a chance lost. We had them beaten, and conspired to throw it away. Some really naive stuff, which is disappointing. The team is young enough, but they do need to start learning from these mistakes. Moreso Dunne though, and I am still really not convinced he can bring us back to the top level. Tactically, I thought we were poor, whether that was down to poor play, or poor tactics, it's hard to definitively say, but to me it seemed tactical.

As for the footballers, they ground out a very important win. That is a very young and inexperienced team, and was sort of opposite to the hurlers performance in that they finished off the job when they looked gone. Its good to see Power has no issues in playing anyone if they show well, and name and reputation is not the pre requisite for playing.

Was very impressed with Kieran Butler yesterday in what constituted his first League start. Held the centre back position well, swept the central D whenever it was needed and kicked two crucial points. Knew when to attack and when to sit, and was probably the stand out performer for me along with Ben.

One worry is the continued indiscipline, and Furlong seeing a straight red is a massive blow ahead of Sligo next week as he is probably the only back we have who I'd be confident of doing a sufficient man-marking job on David Kelly.

Paddy Byrne was completely off colour today, although one thing I would have to commend David Power for is that he is not afraid to make early changes regardless. Still a bit light in the backs all the same, and it was criminal how we blew such a healthy start to go in trailing by 2-7 to 1-7 at the break, with Limerick's first goal in particular easily avoidable (their second goal was a fine bit of individual play).

Credit to the lads for plugging away and not resorting to route one hit and hope balls when they were behind, as is the wont so often in the game, and there's literally no one else you would rely upon more to land a couple of late long-range frees than Brosnan, who showed incredible work-rate throughout, as did KOG in the first half (great goal).

Credit too to the fans who stayed for the entirety to get the footballers over the line with their vocal support. Made proper use of the 15 euro admisson fee anyway! (unlike those fans from both counties who cut across the pitch towards the exit after the hurling and interrupted Limerick's warm up)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

What did Furlong get the line for? Obviously off the ball stuff. Nobody near me saw the incident. Most were looking down at the town end at the time.

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    What did Furlong get the line for? Obviously off the ball stuff. Nobody near me saw the incident. Most were looking down at the town end at the time.

I can only assume one of the umpires spotted something no one else did. Really down to the bare bones in the full back line now with Breen going off injured too. I fear all our hard work yesterday could be undone in Sligo.

Wexford hurling team expected to be announced tomorrow for the laois match

Its one of the last chances for Dunne to shake the branches of this team regarding team selection .

After sunday there needs to be some changes

• Advertisement

1 NIALL BREEN
    2 LIAM RYAN
    3 TOMAS WATERS
    4 EOIN MOORE
    5 PAUDIE FOLEY
    6 MATTHEW O’HANLON
    7 ANDREW SHORE
    8 DAVID REDMOND
    9 LEE CHIN
    10 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE
    11 DAITHI WATERS
    12 IAN BYRNE
    13 LIAM OG MCGOVERN
    14 CONOR MCDONALD
    15 HARRY KEHOE
    16 MARK FANNING
    17 AIDAN NOLAN
    18 EOIN CONROY
    19 CONOR DEVITT
    20 GARRETT SINNOTT
    21 PODGE DORAN
    22 EANNA MARTIN
    23 WILLIE DEVEREUX
    24 KEVIN FOLEY
    25 RICHIE KEHOE
    26 JOE KELLY

Morris and Guiney Injured ???!!!

What that selection says

More game time for mossy and Dathi to get up to pace

Looking at the Chin midfield option for the future

Kehoe Corner forward ???

1 NIALL BREEN
    2 LIAM RYAN
    3 TOMAS WATERS
    4 EOIN MOORE
    5 PAUDIE FOLEY
    6 MATTHEW O’HANLON
    7 ANDREW SHORE
    8 DAVID REDMOND
    9 LEE CHIN
    10 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE
    11 DAITHI WATERS
    12 IAN BYRNE
    13 LIAM OG MCGOVERN
    14 CONOR MCDONALD
    15 HARRY KEHOE
    16 MARK FANNING
    17 AIDAN NOLAN
    18 EOIN CONROY
    19 CONOR DEVITT
    20 GARRETT SINNOTT
    21 PODGE DORAN
    22 EANNA MARTIN
    23 WILLIE DEVEREUX
    24 KEVIN FOLEY
    25 RICHIE KEHOE
    26 JOE KELLY

Morris and Guiney Injured ???!!!

What that selection says

More game time for mossy and Dathi to get up to pace

Looking at the Chin midfield option for the future

Kehoe Corner forward ???

I'd imagine it'll be a 2 man inside line with Kehoe dropping back. I jusrt hope its not another dummy team and that there is a raft of changes on gameday. I really dont see the logic in that anymore, and Dunne would have to know who he wants played in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Fair play to Offaly. Its going to be some game down in Wexford park now. Exactly what both teams need a pressure game before playing teams in 1a.

There is no form line in this league Div 1B OR 1A for that matter.

better watch ourselves in Laois to morrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Huge result for us , can't believe it really, esp with the way both teams hurled in tullamore a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

didn't beat laois yet

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

didn't beat laois yet

Just did! 5 goals not bad going...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

FYI for match Sunday

68deville wrote: »
    Just did! 5 goals not bad going...

sunday is the big one i think wexford will do it, not to many teams beat wexford at home.

Wexford (HL Division 1B v Waterford)
    – Mark Fanning;
    Liam Ryan,
    Tomas Waters,
    Eoin Moore;
    Paudie Foley,
    Matthew O'Hanlon,
    Andrew Shore;
    David Redmond,
    Lee Chin;
    Diarmuid O'Keeffe,
    Daithi Waters,
    Ian Byrne;
    Harry Kehoe,
    Conor McDonald,
    Liam Og McGovern.
    Subs:
    Niall Breen,
    Eoin Conroy,
    Aidan Nolan,
    Podge Doran,
    Kevin Foley,
    Conor Devitt,
    Eanna Martin,
    Garrett Sinnot,
    Ciaran Kenny,
    Shane Tomkins,
    Jack Guiney.

This team is the one named but rumours of three changes to it.

Time will tell.

No Joe Kelly

• Advertisement

That was really disappointing. The worst thing was, it was never there for the taking really. We never looked likely at any stage of the game to win it. Just didnt perform at all. Poor tactically, poor on the field. A few played ok, but the most of them looked disinterested and some really poor skill executions. Doesnt bode well for the championship to have a game like this there going for us, and we fail to give a decent account of ourselves.

very surprise with that poor display from wexford they look like it was a puck around they were out for, why didn't jack Guiney start ?

A couple of things we may lay to rest:

1- The notion that we are back amongst the "elite" in hurling.

2- the belief that Daithi Waters is a justifiable alternative at centre-forward on an inter-county hurling side.

Both have been cruelly exposed thus far. And it's hard to pin-point where the crux of the blame lies between some questionable managerial selection calls, laughable in-game tactical adjustments and disappointing player form.

we were very poor and tactically naive i thought.

Why the hell couldn't we win dirty balls from the 'rucks'? waterford came out time after time with the balls, it was almost a given that when one formed waterford would come away with the ball. Are we not aggressive enough???

I agree on the Daithi situation with the poster above, he hasn't worked out and we now need to try a plan B at centre forward be Jack, Podge, tomkins, conor Mac.....
    How many people were surprised to see both doran and byrne go off and h/time and still see Daithi on the field? Me and everyone around me were mesmerised by that call...

The short puck outs didn't work either, and when the defender it the ball it only landed were fanning would have put the ball in the first place.

Surely when waterford played with a spare man in defence, which completely cut off all ball in the FF line, we should have tried to work another way around this or even put another forward in there on the spare man??

We had the wind in the 2nd half but just like the Limerick game, we couldn't use it and we out thought and fought... very disappointed today.

It was our best chance to get out of 1B and now next year we will have limerick, KK/Clare, to try and beat to get out of it....

In Fairness to Dunne he had decided to source a ball winner after last years campaign and he identified Dathi as a likely option .

At 28 he had to be given a chance to see if it would work especially against teams like Limerick and Waterford.

Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

We have had a good few younger players come on board the last few years .

I am not sure what is coming behind the recent U21's as all the top counties have a conveyor belt in operation.

In their last league game Coady wheels out a jem like Kevin Kelly . We can only dream at the same level as I dream about winning the lotto.

In Fairness to Dunne he had decided to source a ball winner after last years campaign and he identified Dathi as a likely option .

At 28 he had to be given a chance to see if it would work especially against teams like Limerick and Waterford.

Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

We have had a good few younger players come on board the last few years .

I am not sure what is coming behind the recent U21's as all the top counties have a conveyor belt in operation.

In their last league game Coady wheels out a jem like Kevin Kelly . We can only dream at the same level as I dream about winning the lotto.

My biggest issue with bringing Daithi in is that if Dunne wants a big tall ball winner, then why have all your puck outs short or to the opposite side of him. It's a waste.

Agree on our dearth of talent. We always have a few tidy small players coming thru, but bar Conor Mac, nothing extraordinary for the last while.

I understand where you are coming from The Slobs, but having watched the hurlers since the walsh cups matches this year, it was obvious that some weren't going to cut it, and yet here we are a couple of months down the road and they are still persisted with, it is just mind boggling.
    These guys play loads of challenges behind closed doors so it's not like they have only played 3-4 matches to bring them up the 'level'. They were tried and tried and tried but still play....where as i'd love to see fringe players like J kelly who had a good run with the shels last year get a decent stint to see what he can offer in games like these, plus he can take a score from play which is something we seem to be missing. N Breen did little wrong against laois but yet he doesn't get a second run out?? ( fanning did well too i know)

We have players brought in the like of the 2 foleys who are showing good promise which bodes well, and obviously liam ryan has cracking potential too.

Also on their day we have ball winners, imo Doran,guiney,byrne,Mc Donald, tompkins can all win high ball so i don't buy into the waters offers us ball winner theory...

What really disappointed me in the limerick/loais/waterford matches was the lack of tight marking between the h/b mid h/f lines which yielded easy scores for the opposition, it's like at times that marking your man is side thought.

We'll go to Cork in hope , and hopefully they'll give us a good day out.

To be fair there has being more than McDonald

Chin is top class,

Ryan will be

Guiney has the ability to be ( I hope he realises this and how ever great the talent, hard work is still required )

Mc Donald is highly rated in Wexford but while he has a great hand, is very young he still has a way to go to develope other aspects of his game and as teams become wise to him he can be contained.

breghall wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from The Slobs, but having watched the hurlers since the walsh cups matches this year, it was obvious that some weren't going to cut it, and yet here we are a couple of months down the road and they are still persisted with, it is just mind boggling.
    These guys play loads of challenges behind closed doors so it's not like they have only played 3-4 matches to bring them up the 'level'. They were tried and tried and tried but still play....where as i'd love to see fringe players like J kelly who had a good run with the shels last year get a decent stint to see what he can offer in games like these, plus he can take a score from play which is something we seem to be missing. N Breen did little wrong against laois but yet he doesn't get a second run out?? ( fanning did well too i know)

We have players brought in the like of the 2 foleys who are showing good promise which bodes well, and obviously liam ryan has cracking potential too.

Also on their day we have ball winners, imo Doran,guiney,byrne,Mc Donald, tompkins can all win high ball so i don't buy into the waters offers us ball winner theory...

What really disappointed me in the limerick/loais/waterford matches was the lack of tight marking between the h/b mid h/f lines which yielded easy scores for the opposition, it's like at times that marking your man is side thought.

We'll go to Cork in hope , and hopefully they'll give us a good day out.

Agree with some of what you say

Joe Kelly yes I expected he would have got more time . very skillful and a scorer and always on the move but not a ball winner and not speedy . Did not have a great game v Laois in walsh cup and has not really figured to any great degree apart from 5 minutes v Offally.

The three lines H/B Mid H/F
    You are correct no plan no co-operation no system between these three lines .
    Kilkenny have a simple set up for these areas and we have none.

Not complete agreement however

Dunne has always fancied Fanning and I can see why in that he admires the hard work he brings to his preparation.

As regards Dathi and I say this as one who never saw anything at club level to suggest he could do a job at inter county level given his age. He would have needed to be involved as a 21 year old.

While I don't agree with Dunne I can still understand why he has persisted as internal games are no sub for the real thing ( except in Kilkenny of course)

The league and championship are two different things and last year Liam Ryan did not really figure in the league but was an ever present for the championship so we could very well have a bolter come campionship.

Remember what it was like before the clare game last year.

• Advertisement

To be fair there has being more than McDonald

Chin is top class,

Ryan will be

Guiney has the ability to be ( I hope he realises this and how ever great the talent, hard work is still required )

Mc Donald is highly rated in Wexford but while he has a great hand, is very young he still has a way to go to develope other aspects of his game and as teams become wise to him he can be contained.

yeah but I meant in terms of knowing stars coming up through underage. McDonald was exceptional coming up through the ranks and as a minor, and whilst I agree with there are others who are top quality, none lit up underage where we knew what was coming like McDonald did.

Agree on Guiney. Very much flatters to deceive, and his workrate is non existent. He reminds me of a player who thinks he has made it so the effort drops significantly.

I dont get all the over the top love for Breen either. Other forums are inundated with lads shouting that he should be in, but I havent seen anything to convince me that he is a far better option than Fanning. There is little to separate, so if Dunne is happy with Fanning, then I too see no reason to change it.

Overall though, I think our gameplan is non existant, and our skill levels are still way off the pace. Still far too slow in playing the ball, and the technique of striking is awful with a lot of players, big wide swings instead of snappier short striking.

Advertisement