Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

I think it's tough on Guiney but he had to go. Lads must be disciplined if they want to compete against the likes of Kilkenny. Hopefully it galvanises the squad although it's a big blow losing Guiney who although inconsistent can be a match winner(Clare replay) on his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The only rule is that there are no rules, except for all of those unwritten ones.

That seems to be the attitude held by Wexford manager Liam Dunne, who has dropped forward Jack Guiney from his panel to face Kilkenny after the youngster apparently enjoyed a night out in the aftermath of the Model County's Leinster quarter-final win over Westmeath.

Guiney has excelled for Wexford in the last few years but Dunne questioned his commitment in an interview with South East Radio.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/one-of-wexfords-most-talented-players-has-been-dropped-from-the-panel-to-face-kilkenny/29110

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Wexford Team

1.Mark Fanning
    2.Liam Ryan
    3. Matt O Hanlon
    4. Eoin Moore
    5. Andrew Shore
    6.Lee Chin
    7.Ciaran Kenny
    8. David Redmond
    9. Dee O Keefe
    10. Shane Thomkins
    11. Dathi Waters
    12.Ian Byrne
    13. Paul Morris
    14. Conor Mc Donald
    15. Liam Mc Govern

This apart from Thomkins for Guiney is Dunne preferred first choice team

The backs are last years unit pretty much in tact. In reality 29 year old Waters is the only newcomer up front .

After the Walsh Cup , League and the pre championship friendlies no new younger talent has being identified as being enough to play championship.

Thomkins is mature young in the Coady preferred age bracket and has waited with patience for his opportunity the past two years.

Fanning is always going to be the goalie and last years rookie Liam Ryan remains the only newcomer to the defence over the past three years.

League runs by Eoin Conroy and Padraig Foley have not advanced their case for inclusion, and others of the younger group Andrew Kenny or impressive U21 performer Jack O'Connor were not in the match day panel V Westmeath

at times the manager has used Midfielders Redmond or O Keefe as defenders
    Harry kehoe is the midfield option most likely or Garreth Sinnott

The forward options on the bench are the Podge Doran although never certain of the managers confidence and the veteran Rory Jacob and the only younger player Kevin Foley who has made broken into the championship team this year.

Many had expected Aidan Nolan to get some game time after injury ruled him out of the league and the fact he did not make the match day squad last time out was strange

The match day squad will be named after training tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Strong looking team. Would be worried about Daithi though don't think he has the hurling to compete at this level hope I'm proved wrong Sunday. Delighted for Tomkins deserves his chance. Small bit worried about Ciaran Kenny at wing back, has struggled with injury over the past few months and has lost a bit of pace. Think Andrew Kenny is a much better option here . Full back line nd full forward line look very strong. Morris McDonald and McGovern could cause havoc if given right service. Can't wait for the game now hope we go out and throw the kitchen sink at Kilkenny. The support is coming back too, majority of people I've being talking to about the game are travelling it should be a great occasion!

From a Wexford point of view the hurling results for the year todate has being consistent in that it reflects that we are a number nine ranked team

Starting with the Walsh cup, a trimming from Laois away at the start of the year was followed by a poor scrappy league apart from two bright first halves v Limerick and Cork(games are a seventy minutes affair) sides who appear to be struggling against the top teams as well. First league game won by a point to a relegated Antrim side at home,

To day was worse that anything that passed in last ten years and that's saying something regarding our former rivals Kilkenny.

This was a record defeat to Kilkenny in the championship .

The form line says that Wexford are in trouble and after four years under Liam Dunne Wexford are still a second tier team and not likely to trouble munster opposition in the comning qualifiers series
    The Slobs is online now Report Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

They have gone nowhere in 12 months,Dunne and Co for the exit

Wexford U21 Team V Offaly June 24th

1. Oliver O Leary - Buffers Alley
    2. Simon Donohoe - Shels
    3. Liam Ryan - Rapps
    4. Eoin Conroy - Gorey
    5. Jim White- Oylegate
    6. Padraig Foley -Crossabeg
    7. Jack O Connor- Martins
    8. Gavin Bailey - Ferns
    9. Conor Devitt - Ballyfad
    10.Andrew Kenny- Buffers Alley
    11. Kevin Foley - Rapps
    12. James Cash - Shels
    13. Peter Sutton - Oulart
    14. Conor Mc Donald - Gorey
    15. Shane Murphy - St James

Good week for Wexford Football

David Power and his selectors also look after the counties Juniors and with the two panels training together and with a huge emphasis on youth and that includes several 17 years olds thursday night saw a payback on this with the Leinster Junior Football title.

Saturday saw Wexford DIV 4 side for 2016 beat the Down 2016 div 1 side against all known form to date in 2015.

he Wexford senior hurling team for the 4th of July clash with Cork has been announced by manager Liam Dunne.

Paudie Foley makes his championship debut while Aidan Nolan, also from last years U21 team starts for the first time.

1 (GK) MARK FANNING GLYNN BARNTOWN
    2 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    3 MATTHEW O’HANLON Capt. ST JAMES
    4 EOIN MOORE OULART THE BALLAGH
    5 ANDREW SHORE DAVIDSTOWN COURTNACUDDY
    6 LEE CHIN FAYTHE HARRIERS
    7 PAUDIE FOLEY CROSSABEG BALLYMURN
    8 DAVID REDMOND OULART THE BALLAGH
    9 AIDAN NOLAN HALF WAY HOUSE – BUNCLODY
    10 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE ST ANNES
    11 KEVIN FOLEY RAPPAREES
    12 IAN BYRNE FERNS ST AIDANS
    13 PAUL MORRIS FERNS ST AIDANS
    14 CONOR MCDONALD NAOMH EANNA
    15 LIAM Og McGOVERN ST ANNES
    16 (GK) NIALL BREEN TARA ROCKS
    17 JACK O’CONNOR ST MARTINS
    18 ANDREW KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    19 CIARAN KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    20 WILLIE DEVEREUX ST MARTINS
    21 DAITHI WATERS ST MARTINS
    22 RORY JACOB OULART THE BALLAGH
    23 SHANE TOMKINS ASKAMORE KILRUSH
    24 HARRY KEHOE CLOUGHBAWN
    25 EANNA MARTIN SARSFIELDS (CORK)
    26 GARRETT SINNOTT OULART THE BALLAGH

68deville wrote: »
    They have gone nowhere in 12 months,Dunne and Co for the exit

With the front door and back door gone , its time to let the management team out the side-door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

With the front door and back door gone , its time to let the management team out the side-door

I do agree with this, but to add a little perspective.
    Whe Dunne came in we were an absolute shambles, maybe after this year you could argue we still are.
    But,
    1: the team did not look fit when Dunne and co took them over
    2: He has blooded a lot of players who will be mainstays for a few years
    3: I don't believe that he has ignored any hurler worth a look within the county over his term.
    4: The hurlers he had to work with just were not good enough and he is possibly unlucky to be at the end of his tenure as a more talented generation are emerging

Having said all of that above he did appear tactically naive over the last two games compared to the established managers he faced off against. I do think it is time for a new manager and a new voice but when Liam took over the run that we had last year would not have been possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I agree with most of above. Dunne certainly has the right attitude and has brought a bit of the old fight back to the team. I still think he can be a part of the setup but he needs help from a strong tactician. It was obvious to all and sundry on Saturday that the system employed was not working and changes were required, all of the Cork scores and possession were coming from the one place and our sweeper left his brush in the dressing room.

Also, Liam og a shadow of last years man - anyone else with thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Congrats to Wexford last night. Only one team in it from the beginning. Great crowd in Wexford park, great atmosphere and some collection of youngsters on the pitch at half time (who let Marty on?). Hope ye go all the way not least to spare our blushes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    I agree with most of above. Dunne certainly has the right attitude and has brought a bit of the old fight back to the team. I still think he can be a part of the setup but he needs help from a strong tactician. It was obvious to all and sundry on Saturday that the system employed was not working and changes were required, all of the Cork scores and possession were coming from the one place and our sweeper left his brush in the dressing room.

Also, Liam og a shadow of last years man - anyone else with thoughts on this?

other than Ian Byrne, I dont think any player can say they were better this year than last. After watching the 21s last night and their tactics and general teamwork and cohesion, there is a huge gulf in the 21s and senior, which to me spells the end for Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Nice to see Kilkenny being handed their arses on a plate for once! Well done Wexford!

Wexford Park was magical last night.

Every Gaa child in the county was on the pitch at half time

Great to see some many loyal Wexford supporters there despite the hammerings of the past few weeks

Well done to the team and management in particular who to a man performed right up to their potential .

In particular Conor Mc Donald who has had an indifferent senior season but we are reminded that he is only twenty and is one of the nest u21's in the country a joy to see in full flight. Kevin Foley covered so much ground and sniped scores and created chances.

Liam Ryan cant be beated under a high ball and broke up every attack.

Connor Devitt back to form again and supported by the battling lion hearted Gavin Bailey.

Jack O Connor continues to have a great U21 campaign as does Andrew Kenny. Captain Conroy covered so well for Jippo charges out . Oleary in goal is one great man to smouder a shot with his body and how he is only no 2 in the Alley I dont understand.

The Shels men Donohoe recovered his start and Cash was very involved in everything in attack had both had great games, and good luck to Simon on Saturday.
    With the baby of the team Dunbar very impressive again supported by the ever cool Sutton

We have a mountain range (All must be 6-4/6.5) on the half back line with White who had his best game to date along side O Connor and P. Foley

To Paudie Foley after saturday and in particular on another site, contributors had questioned his touch and pace . One of the best players around to give the long ball and that set up Mc Donalds goal. The former underage sprint champion (Competed with Kilkennys Diarmuid Coady) got back to hook the first attempt at Kikenny's opening goal, no lack of pace there and a great fielder of the high ball.

How long have a Wexford team waited to do that to Kilkenny . 39 years I guess.

11893794_10153197976659141_3341283017829012694_o.jpg

Cloughbawn are going well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was at their game with Martin's. Fully deserved their win, and their ploy of a two man full forward line with MJ Furlong out the field as the third midfielder paid dividends. Five (deserved) straight red cards in the second half though.Both teams should be seriously disappointed with their ill-discipline, considering they were both guaranteed a quarter final berth anyway.

Cloughbawn will fancy their chances against Faythe Harriers in the last eight though, even with the two men suspended. Martin's and Shels should be a humdinger, but again the loss of Murphy and Daithi is going to a huge blow for Martin's.

Yet another despondent day in the office for us fans. A far far worse defeat than last year in every sense of the word. Same old failings that has plagued Wexford for years that everyone bar the management seem to recognise.

Why oh why did we keep pucking ball down on that dominant Limerick half-back line? How did Sutton last as long as he did, particularly when we were calling out for someone to spark some life up front? Many people crying out for Jack O'Connor to be given a chance on the senior team when I have rarely been impressed by him whenever I've seen him either for club or county.

Our high wide count appears to be not just a problem at senior level.

I will say one thing though, JJ does have a few tools already in place to become the next senior manager:
    1) Failure to vary the puckouts even though we were cleaned out from the get-go
    2) Clearing the bench, but still retaining his favourites on the pitch for the whole match
    3) No variancy to our forward play (or no decent ball into Mac) and no plan B if Mac is being contained

So, so disappointing

Yet another despondent day in the office for us fans. A far far worse defeat than last year in every sense of the word. Same old failings that has plagued Wexford for years that everyone bar the management seem to recognise.

Why oh why did we keep pucking ball down on that dominant Limerick half-back line? How did Sutton last as long as he did, particularly when we were calling out for someone to spark some life up front? Many people crying out for Jack O'Connor to be given a chance on the senior team when I have rarely been impressed by him whenever I've seen him either for club or county.

Our high wide count appears to be not just a problem at senior level.

I will say one thing though, JJ does have a few tools already in place to become the next senior manager:
    1) Failure to vary the puckouts even though we were cleaned out from the get-go
    2) Clearing the bench, but still retaining his favourites on the pitch for the whole match
    3) No variancy to our forward play (or no decent ball into Mac) and no plan B if Mac is being contained

So, so disappointing

Harsh on JJ. When he varied the puck out in the second half and went short the defenders ended up pucking it long anyhow due to the Limerick work rate.
    Was there anybody on the bench that looked like they would improve the situation? When he was so badly let down by Liam Ryan, Eoin Conroy, Jack O Connor, Conor Devitt and Kevin Foley who are five senior starters/panellists what was he to do?
    Really, outside of Mac and Andrew Kenny he hasn't got the forwards. Kevin Foley needs space and loose ball to thrive and this was never coming tonight or won't at senior level either. Cash and Sutton are game and try but once they leave 21 their county careers will be over imo. Cathal Dunbar looks a prospect but was minor last year and was probably a year too soon for him.
    Hard to blame JJ in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I will concede that so many players didn't show up on the day (never seen Liam Ryan hurl as bad as an example) but surely he could have been more proactive in maybe trying Foley inside with Dunbar and moving Mac out to give Foley the space he loves, and maybe dropping Devitt back as an extra defending (very good at reading the game). Rather than abide to the usual Wexford manager style of calling them ashore as soon as things go sour.

It just seems there seems to be the same failings at both levels.

I will concede that so many players didn't show up on the day (never seen Liam Ryan hurl as bad as an example) but surely he could have been more proactive in maybe trying Foley inside with Dunbar and moving Mac out to give Foley the space he loves, and maybe dropping Devitt back as an extra defending (very good at reading the game). Rather than abide to the usual Wexford manager style of calling them ashore as soon as things go sour.

It just seems there seems to be the same failings at both levels.

I just have no faith in Kevin Foley tbh. He may be a poacher but that is not enough nowadays. Forexample Ger Aylward is a poacher too but has a huge appetite for work too. Think you are being harsh on JJ still. Forwards are still a huge problem in the county be it at underage or senior, club or county, we always struggle to produce them.

Full steam ahead now on the club scene with the football next weekend.
    At senior I would expect the Martins to beat Adamstown possibly freeing up Adamstown to win the Intermediate hurling again.
    St Annes should have too much for St James I think. Again I fancy the James to go on and win Intermediate A hurling if they get beaten here as expected.
    Fethard vs Castletown. Fethard had a terrible year last season but are not as bad as that and Castletown are in a period of transition. I would expect Castletown to shade it but this should be the hardest to call of the qf stage imo.
    Shels vs Starlights. I would expect Shels to win.

Intermediate.
    I would expect Kilanerin to account for Taghmon despite them bringing Jason Ryan on board. They have a load of talented young players but may be a little under developed yet. They will be serious contenders over the next year or two.
    Rosslare vs Bunclody. Close one to call but despite Rosslare having more big names such as David Murphy, the two Rossiters and Lee Devereux I feel that Bunclody are better balanced and will come through.
    Relegation final at this grade will see Craanford go down imo. Thay are leking goals like a sieve and this will cost them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The only thing regrettable from our viewpoint was that it was Wexford we beat, ye had a fantastic crowd there & the goal nearly lifted the roof, despite still being a good few points down at that stage.

We've both known a lot of suffering, but there's clearly plenty of hurling passion in Wexford and ye're day will come.

The only thing regrettable from our viewpoint was that it was Wexford we beat, ye had a fantastic crowd there & the goal nearly lifted the roof, despite still being a good few points down at that stage.

We've both known a lot of suffering, but there's clearly plenty of hurling passion in Wexford and ye're day will come.

I am gutted at the manner of the loss but delighted to see Limerick winning an All Ireland. I lived there for a few years and attended a good few local championship games as well and have to say that the Limerick supporters are real salt of the earth. I hope yepush on now and get more from this group than the last group of successful 21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I was disappointed with Wexford tbh, maybe your team last year was really the one that needed to win? I always expected us to win, but I expected a close game and a cracking final but it never really happened- I think it would be fair to say that Wexford didn't match our lads in any area of the pitch really. Tactically, defensively, work rate, accuracy in shooting; it was disappointing.

Conor McDonald scored a fine goal and a lovely sideline but he did almost nothing from play. Wasn't really helped by those around him or the poor ball he was getting but when a big player doesn't perform well, it's a big blow. I thought Andrew Kenny was lively at wing-forward, caused us a few problems but bar him, your forwards didn't do enough at all, including McDonald. Midfield were cleaned out completely, first two players taken off, I think. I was fairly impressed with the centre-back, Foley, but Morrissey still scored 0-4 points. Most of those came because Nash had the run on O'Connor and set Morrissey up for about 3, Foley again wasn't helped by those around him.

Liam Ryan was way off the pace, was he injured? Seemed to be lacking urgency, same with the puckouts.

I'd be very disappointed if I was from Wexford because the team are surely better than that. I've seen enough Limerick teams flop in crucial matches to know what it's like but that doesn't ease it when you see it again. Based on that performance though, I wouldn't be calling for Doyle to be senior manager; you'd wonder did they watch any Limerick games this year. Anyone could have told you that the Limerick half-back line were utterly dominant in the air and that the work rate of the three lads in midfield was exceptional. Neither of those things were ever a contest, and there was never any plan to try and avoid those things happening.

Obviously I'm delighted we won, but I'm disappointed for Wexford at the same time. You've had lots of provincial success at underage level, haven't got an All-Ireland but you clearly have some talented players. I'd be hoping that Wexford can at least win a Leinster title in the next few years- obviously it's tough with Kilkenny and Galway there but it's something to aim for and having been a dominant force at U-21 level there, surely you'll get some reward soon.

Senior Football
    Adamstown v St. Martins
    - Adamstown will be their particularly dogged selves, but with Breen suspended (unless it got over-turned) and Furlong injured, can't see them having anyone to keep Lyng in check. Barden and Hickey can kick a score,but may find the going tough against the champions of two years ago. Martin's tend to get a bit tetchy when things are tight and physical on the pitch, and their discipline will be in the spotlight after their three red cards in the final group game of the hurling. But they should still win pulling up.

St. Annes v St. James - My tie of the round. Red will be a huge loss to the champions, his versatility being a valuable weapon in their armoury. James' have a serious spine to their team with Graham Molloy, O'Hanlon and Boccy bringing size, strength and inter-county experience to the middle third. Should have the legs here to at least break even with Stafford-Fogarty. Anne's half-back line is their most influential sector, and if James can curb their probing, and KOG can menace up front, they have a great chance. Draw, with Anne's to prevail after extra time.

Fethard v Castletown - A sluggish year so far from Castletown, but a confidence-inducing performance last day out will have them buzzing again. Fethard were always going to play second fiddle in a group containing Anne's and Shels, and did everything that was expected of them in qualifying. Will take confidence into the game after beating Saturday's opponent's at the same stage in 2013, but Castletown will no doubt have the street-smarts to negotiate the blanket defence. Seem to be operating off a full deck for the first time this year too. Castletown to shade it.

Shelmaliers v Starlights - Starlights' defence has been in stellar form all year, and Shels haven't only shown brief glimpses of their potential. Only saw them in the flesh once this year (vs Anne's) and they didn't look overly special. Heard they were playing a practice match in the hurling on Sunday too. For Starlights, alot will depend on whether Liam Ryan and Kevin Foley can lift themselves after Saturday night's debacle. But their younger fellas should love the wide open space of Wexford Park. Nonetheless, fancy Shels to maintain their good recent quarter-final record.

Intermediate
    Kilanerin v Taghmon -Unless Jason Ryan has found a magic formula in creating a championship-winning team in the space of a fortnight, can only see Kilarnerin winning fairly handy. Are like men possessed on their quest for an automatic return to the senior.

Marys Rosslare v Bunclody - Haven't been overly impressed by Rosslare, and while HWH were inconsistent in the group stages, still feel they'll do enough to win. Darren Kehoe is on fire all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

I was expecting to be beaten by limerick by 8 or so points but the sad fact is we were dead after 20 minutes.. JJ has to take some of the blame but for me the most shocking aspect was the game intelligence of our players between the 35-42 minutes we tried short puckouts to which i will assume was to avoid the dominant limerick half back line... from those short puck outs all four were recieved just outside the 21 yard line then we proceeded to hit the ball from there straight on top of there half back line..

my major concern is when was the last time a Wexford senior team got beaten by 5 or 6 points it always seems to be by double digits ?? and this beating for the u-21s will not do the psyche of those players any good.

But when all is said and done no team goes out to be beaten like that ... and those players have given us a lot of good times over the last three years

Anybody see the youtube vid of the row in the Martins vs Cloughbawn game? Five sending offs for a bout of handbags at ten paces imo. The only two who should have went were Cloughbawns no 5 for the initial pull and St Martins no 10 iirc for interfeeing with the helmet of a Cloughbawn player.
    Between the ref and the linesman I think it was a complete over reaction. Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Grueller wrote: »
    Anybody see the youtube vid of the row in the Martins vs Cloughbawn game? Five sending offs for a bout of handbags at ten paces imo. The only two who should have went were Cloughbawns no 5 for the initial pull and St Martins no 10 iirc for interfeeing with the helmet of a Cloughbawn player.
    Between the ref and the linesman I think it was a complete over reaction. Any opinions?

It was 4 sent off, and it was hard to argue with any of them. The no 5 as you say, and it was No 2 for the Martins who ripped his helmet off then. The No 4 for Cloughbawn pulled across a Martins players head, and it all kicked off after Daithi Waters reacted to the initial wild pull, which is natural to do, but he did instigate the row. There were others who were lucky they werent sent off too, as there was other sending off offences as well. To be honest, I dont think it was an over reaction, it was stupidity on the players part, and they have to start copping on and stop blaming refs for these things.

Advertisement