Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Had my first rewatch last night since i saw it at the previews! Still love it just as much, same plot flaws blahdy blah still prominent but as I said after my first viewing... i do not care if this is a rehash it is awesome and love seeing all the old characters again and love the fact they have humanised the cast injecting humour into the performances. The scene where the two storm trooper do a u-turn upon hearing Kylo Ren smash up the place having a fit still cracked me up (id forgotten that bit)

Yep ! and it worked, who ever thought humour would work in a star wars movie !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's always been some humour in Star Wars films. It's always been fairly subtle though and that's the best way to keep it. I'm taking about the real releases now, not this piss poor Lucas special eds.

That was one of the things that really bugged me about the new one. The buffoonery of Finn was waaaay too much sometimes. Eye rolling at certain points. :rolleyes:

However, that stormtrooper scene was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's always been some humour in Star Wars films. It's always been fairly subtle though and that's the best way to keep it. I'm taking about the real releases now, not this piss poor Lucas special eds.

Yea, there definitely has been some great lines in the original star wars... usually by Han..

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh everything s perfectly all right now. We re fine. We re all fine here now, thank you. (Winces.) Uh, how are you?

Keep your distance, Chewie, but don t, y know, look like you re keeping your distance. (??.)
    I don t know. Fly casual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You could use a good kiss!!

That whole dynamic with Han and leia in empire has some hysterical moments. Plus the intro to yoda is quite funny. Was watching a doco about it the other night and kirshner and most of the crew were freaked out about yoda. The whole film was riding on yoda. They were terrified it was gonna look ridiculous and not work on screen. Look how well it worked though. He's brilliant.

Actually yeah, thinking about the originals there were some funny moments ..

I've been thinking more of the prequels - who could forget the hilarity of Jar Jar Binks...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Giving out about the amount of time Rey had with Han is the equivalent of giving out about Luke's amount of time with Obi Wan. And generally plot holes are in all the movies so I don't think episode VII should be seen as being weak because of it.

Yea, there definitely has been some great lines in the original star wars... usually by Han..

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh everything s perfectly all right now. We re fine. We re all fine here now, thank you. (Winces.) Uh, how are you?

Keep your distance, Chewie, but don t, y know, look like you re keeping your distance. (??.)
    I don t know. Fly casual.

Yeh, Solo and Chewie's interaction was a great setup. Thing is though, you could buy into their schtick as it wasn't overbaked. The audience can't understand what Chewie was saying, so the punchline only jokes had to be perfectly delivered by Ford, otherwise it would come off as silly. Their "relationship" also felt like it had some history to it as well. Han Solo and Chewbacca looked like they had been through a few moments together.

The problem with the new films is that none of the new characters feel in any way "real" (in the sense that you could fully buy into their characters), apart from Kylo Ren to a certain degree. Rey is far too good at everything she touches, Poe is just there and Finn is a stupid buffoon as soon as he takes off his helmet, because for some reason producers feel the need to shove comic relief down the audience's throat, whether they want it or not.

Maybe with the next film under the trilogy's belt, we'll see more to their character emerge. Who knows.

david75 wrote: »
    You could use a good kiss!!

That whole dynamic with Han and leia in empire has some hysterical moments. Plus the intro to yoda is quite funny. Was watching a doco about it the other night and kirshner and most of the crew were freaked out about yoda. The whole film was riding on yoda. They were terrified it was gonna look ridiculous and not work on screen. Look how well it worked though. He's brilliant.

I still find the muppet very convincing, much more so than the awful CGI mess that stank up the prequels. Although he certainly wasn't alone in that venture.

The "backwards" talking got a bit much too. It was fine in the OT, but in the prequels it was over done and got old real quick.

The producers of Star Wars have a lot to thank Frank Oz for. In weaker hands that muppet would have looked ridiculous.

Yoda is the star of that film..so easily could have went wrong but Oz brought magic to it..

Well, I never saw Yoda as the star of the show, tbh, but the film centres on Luke and him for a good 30 minutes or so. So, if he didn't work, that would have meant recasting at the very least.

If the muppet didn't work, they probably would have just got a guy in to do the scenes with Hammil. The nature of Yoda was a mystery until Luke got to Dagobah. He could have been another old lad like Ben.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

Looking forward to see what happens in episode 8 regards rey training to become a jedi and finding out more about her past.

Well, I never saw Yoda as the star of the show, tbh, but the film centres on Luke and him for a good 30 minutes or so. So, if he didn't work, that would have meant recasting at the very least.

If the muppet didn't work, they probably would have just got a guy in to do the scenes with Hammil. The nature of Yoda was a mystery until Luke got to Dagobah. He could have been another old lad like Ben.

reading the Thrawn trilogy at the moment and Luke returns to Dagobah hoping to find artefacts Yoda may have left behind..it's a good book.

I've only read a couple of the expanded universe novels, 'Splinter in the Mind's Eye' and one of the Timothy Zann books (probably a Thrawn one) I can't remember a single thing about either of them. It wasn't ever a thing that got me if you know what I mean.

Disney have thrown all of it out the window now though, which is good in a lot of ways as a good portion of that stuff was absolutely dire.

I think there's a story about this lad...

latest?cb=20080404200713

...and he's supposed to be "strong with the force." He blows himself up when he gets picked over R2-D2 on Tatooine, because he knows that R2 is destined for better things.

Jesus christ... :rolleyes:

.... which is good in a lot of ways as a good portion of that stuff was absolutely dire.

I think there's a story about this lad...

latest?cb=20080404200713

...and he's supposed to be "strong with the force." He blows himself up when he gets picked over R2-D2 on Tatooine, because he knows that R2 is destined for better things.

Jesus christ... :rolleyes:

:D:D !!! I found that a lot funnier than I should have !

anyway , I saw this the other day too .. made me chuckle :

bd3876f9c46cf2e36fdfc2213278f8ee.jpg

theres a clip out there called something like 'the lies of obi wan' its a great watch..shows that first convo with Luke and cuts back to what actually happens..

bd3876f9c46cf2e36fdfc2213278f8ee.jpg

Gas.

There's just so many things wrong with the timeline caused by those prequels. Serously, I just cannot include them in any Star Wars canon. For me Star Wars has to begin with Star Wars, or else it doesn't make any bloody sense.

Gas.

There's just so many things wrong with the timeline caused by those prequels. Serously, I just cannot include them in any Star Wars canon. For me Star Wars has to begin with Star Wars, or else it doesn't make any bloody sense.

People give out about the prequels, but they have their moments.

Some moments and they actually do have a few ideas in there.

But they are terrible, terrible films. The first two are just unwatchable, they're so stupid and the third only finds it balls in the last reel.

That trilogy should have been a dark as fook and merely concentrated on Kenobi and Anakin. We didn't need Qui gon Jin, the kid, miracle births, midichlorians, Jar Jar, dying of a broken heart, boba fett or any other of the thousand miss steps that George took.

The prequels could have worked, all the ingrdients were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Giving out about the amount of time Rey had with Han is the equivalent of giving out about Luke's amount of time with Obi Wan. And generally plot holes are in all the movies so I don't think episode VII should be seen as being weak because of it.
    Not quite. Who knows how long it took for Luke and Ben to get to Mos Eisley? Who knows how long that hyperspace jump took to Alderaan? At least there is the impression that some non screen time has passed.

Whereas with Han, Rey and Finn its: hi there, arrgh! monsters!, into the Falcon! howya Maz, Arrgh! Stormtroopers! they got Rey! it's the Resistance, hi everyone at Resistance base, fly to planet weapon place, hi Rey, oh no I've been killed.

Lucasfilm just launched the star wars show channel on youtube..first episode has that deleted scene of Mazs place...its gonna be a weekly thing.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/the-star-wars-show-1-debuts-deleted-the-force-awakens-footage-and-more/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Some moments and they actually do have a few ideas in there.

But they are terrible, terrible films. The first two are just unwatchable, they're so stupid and the third only finds it balls in the last reel.

That trilogy should have been a dark as fook and merely concentrated on Kenobi and Anakin. We didn't need Qui gon Jin, the kid, miracle births, midichlorians, Jar Jar, dying of a broken heart, boba fett or any other of the thousand miss steps that George took.

The prequels could have worked, all the ingrdients were there.

Whadya mean we didnt need Qui Gon? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Gas.

I wouldn't say that poster is a hole in fairness. It's exactly what you would say under the circumstances if you were Obi Wan

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Whadya mean we didnt need Qui Gon? :(

Completely surplus to requirements. He's a decent character and Neeson is probably the best thing in the film. But, he's just not needed.

The trilogy should simply focus on Skywalker and Kenobi, ending with Anakin with fully comitted to the Sith by his late 30's and the beginning of the Empire.

Showing him as a boy, who is essentially Space Jesus was fukin stupid to say the least. Not to mention the sheer idiocy of what the boy actually did in 'The Phantom Menace'.

Mind numbing stuff.

Speaking of the boy, I heard the other day that the actor who played him is in jail?

I wouldn't say that poster is a hole in fairness. It's exactly what you would say under the circumstances if you were Obi Wan

No really. He could simply have said that it was his fathers lightsaber and that Luke might as well own it now. No need to mention anything about him wanting his son, who he didn't even know existed, to have it.

It's just exemplary of the problems with retconning a series that's already established itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Speaking of the boy, I heard the other day that the actor who played him is in jail?

An institution for people with mental health problems, actually. He suffered some sort of a mental break down recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My kids have seen Star Wars IV to VII but I will not let them watch the 3 prequels because they are utter rubbish and will ruin their Star Wars buzz :D

This years 'Father of the Year' award goes to...

My kids have seen Star Wars IV to VII but I will not let them watch the 3 prequels because they are utter rubbish and will ruin their Star Wars buzz :D

If they love start wars, both animated series the clone wars and star wars rebels are both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

david75 wrote: »
    Lucasfilm just launched the star wars show channel on youtube..first episode has that deleted scene of Mazs place...its gonna be a weekly thing.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/the-star-wars-show-1-debuts-deleted-the-force-awakens-footage-and-more/

That's not a deleted scene, that's just footage from in her boozer. When I read this I thought I missed something from watching it. When I hear of deleted scene from Maz's place I think of the Stormtroopers breaking in and her using force powers to lift debris and take them on.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    An institution for people with mental health problems, actually. He suffered some sort of a mental break down recently.

That's really sad, this industry can really **** up child actors

Advertisement