Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards aware of the reputation it has across the web?

Options
  • 25-04-2016 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Mention Boards.ie on TheJournal, Reddit, Politics.ie or any other discussion forum and you'll be met with groans of over-zealous moderation and the smothering of debate with political correctness.

Surely the owners of Boards are aware of this. Do they want to change this view or are they stubbornly determined to continue along the same path? If their page views are increasing then I guess they have no incentive to change. The only thing is I'm pretty sure the site's readership has plummeted compared with 6 or 7 years ago. Anyone else encountered this opinion when they mention Boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the overriding opinion alright.

Mention Boards.ie on TheJournal, Reddit, Politics.ie or any other discussion forum and you'll be met with groans of over-zealous moderation and the smothering of debate with political correctness.

Surely the owners of Boards are aware of this. Do they want to change this view or are they stubbornly determined to continue along the same path? If their page views are increasing then I guess they have no incentive to change. The only thing is I'm pretty sure the site's readership has plummeted compared with 6 or 7 years ago. Anyone else encountered this opinion when they mention Boards?

It is heavily modded...but that's part and parcel of the site. Thems the rules and they're well signalled. It has an appeals process, not sure there is much more they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Boards hasn't been the same since Denis O'Brien bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ya Boards is aware, but the tone in response to this issue being pointed out, tends to be largely dismissive and trying to downplay it.

If you get snared in the 'appeals' process, it can be a bit of a "computer says no" nightmare really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"Open" a new forum and see how you get on, you'd never know might be the next big thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I like boards.

On Reddit a thread is very stop/start, no fluid conversation.
    Also if you make a comment that other redditors don't like you get downvoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's probably for the best that we keep all of the self-righteous corralled in one corner of the internet, facilitates free speech elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

On Reddit a thread is very stop/start, no fluid conversation.
    Also if you make a comment that other redditors don't like you get downvoted.

On Boards if you make a comment others don't like you get banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

This site is best viewed on a PC so you get PC on your PC.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boards is known as sjw central. Certain opinions in threads will lead to a ban or locked thread. This one will probably be locked soon.
    As long as you know the story and use other message boards, you'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Must not lock thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Boards hasn't been the same since Denis O'Brien bought it.

Careful Now, that comment could get you sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

From what I can gather it was apparently becoming clannish,so they clamped down heavily on the rules a few years ago and got rid of most of the interesting characters.
    Maybe it is more inclusive,but less appealing imo.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Boards is known as sjw central. Certain opinions in threads will lead to a ban or locked thread. This one will probably be locked soon.
    As long as you know the story and use other message boards, you'll be grand

Rubbish boards is fair and balanced.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

On Boards if you make a comment others don't like you get banned.

No you don't. In 99% of cases, you get banned for behaving like a dick. A quick glance through the Prison forum is proof of that.

If right-wing people are more likely to get banned, it's because (shock-horror!) they're more likely to behave in a certain way...

Edit: Just noticed you've been banned. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The rather stupid court case over Oxegen 2006 opened a few eyes a number of years ago and moderation has always been quite strict since then. Nature of the beast that is Irish Libel law I guess. But if you break it down really, if your a contentious wanker you get booted after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If they insist on pushing ahead with this "new site" idea I don't think it'll be much of an issue TBH.

I get a lot out of Boards.. stuff I didn't know, quick answers to questions and some interesting topics.. but the standards across the site vary hugely.

The rather stupid court case over Oxegen 2006 opened a few eyes a number of years ago and moderation has always been quite strict since then. Nature of the beast that is Irish Libel law I guess. But if you break it down really, if your a contentious wanker you get booted after a while.

Unless your a Liberal PC left wing wanker and then your safe as houses.
    And that does not just go for boards but society in general these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tombi! wrote: »
    Must not lock thread.

Your wages will be docked if you don't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

omahaid wrote: »
    It's probably for the best that we keep all of the self-righteous corralled in one corner of the internet, facilitates free speech elsewhere.

The ironing is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Oh thank Vegan Fudge for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If they insist on pushing ahead with this "new site" idea I don't think it'll be much of an issue TBH.

I get a lot out of Boards.. stuff I didn't know, quick answers to questions and some interesting topics.. but the standards across the site vary hugely.
    The standards varying across the site is a pretty big problem - you can log out of Boards, see something interesting on the front page from a random subforum - and then end up with a warning or infraction for breaking a minutiae part of that sub-forums rules, which you'd never expect to have run-ins for elsewhere on the site - and the standards can differ hugely, even between individual mods of the same forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good grief. The opinions of the knuckle draggers and trolls that inhabit the Journal is not something one should worry about. OMG NO FREE SPEECH HERE ... as for the lunatics on politics.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Have you ever perused the political cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yeeah, I don't know anything about politics.ie, but the Journal and Reddit could also have some things said about their reputations too :P

Pretty much any big site will get slagged off on other sites. I wouldn't exactly call what I read on Reddit about Boards (or vice versa) gospel truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Irish reddit can feel like a refugee camp for all the head-cases, MRA's and closet racists that got banned from boards.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Have you ever perused the political cafe?

Yes it is one of the better run areas of boards.

There is a section of boards that has a very bad reputation can think what part it is again.:confused:;)

I Iove Boards. It's my FAVRIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I am kinda amused that the OP is Banned apparently.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    I am kinda amused that the OP is Banned apparently.

Just goes to prove his point I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement