Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards aware of the reputation it has across the web?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Robsweezie wrote: »
    boards is a bit like beyonce. lively and colourful, dogged by criticism and controversy frequently, yet carries on unfazed. boards is what it is. you know what you're getting. and it wont change for anyone, for better or worse. so you better put a ring on it.

It changed for a lot of people this week and caused quite a stir

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mao Zedong Joseph Stalin Fidel Castro over 100 million dead between them but sure they did not allow any nasty right wing opinion bless their souls.;)

Wait, wait... You have Castro with Mao and Stalin?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mention Boards.ie on TheJournal, Reddit, Politics.ie or any other discussion forum and you'll be met with groans of over-zealous moderation and the smothering of debate with political correctness.

Surely the owners of Boards are aware of this. Do they want to change this view or are they stubbornly determined to continue along the same path? If their page views are increasing then I guess they have no incentive to change. The only thing is I'm pretty sure the site's readership has plummeted compared with 6 or 7 years ago. Anyone else encountered this opinion when they mention Boards?

tl/drt Don't be a dick.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks to my occasional cathartic visits to The Prison forum, I've come to the conclusion that most of The Banned deserve it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

The site is definitely slowing down.

I personally feel the site is far too over-modded and there is a clique between the mods and admins. The disdain that most mods treat posters with is hardly conductive to having a vibrant site. It has become a real 'toe the party line' sort of place where mods have free reign and are desperate to get in witty retorts as they ban posters from threads or prevent them from posting their opinions in threads.

I think boards needs a serious overhaul. It's starting to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Robsweezie wrote: »
    boards is a bit like beyonce. lively and colourful, dogged by criticism and controversy frequently, yet carries on unfazed. boards is what it is. you know what you're getting. and it wont change for anyone, for better or worse. so you better put a ring on it.

It don't need no man, mmmm hhhmmm.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    For all the morning that's done, you're all still here. Bar the OP, he's banned :pac:

I sometimes do morning... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like boards. I wouldn't read it or post to it as often as I do if I felt otherwise :) But yeah... I do have to admit it's got it's problems. You can get an infraction for anything on here. It's annoying.

But dare I be so blunt... I laugh at the idea of mods on boards.ie - all they are, are users with certain privileges and people are bias to their own opinion. Can't tarnish everyone with the same brush but lets be honest tho about some.

Until you have been permabanned from Boards, you can't really claim to be a:

Sicko

Psycho

Racist

Total internet Cnut

Shill

Sock-puppet

Baddo

Dick

7rl

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy your own.

I, for one, welcome our preventers of total sh!te-talking on this isolated corner of the wwworld

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Boards Ireland was a better forum, short lived. RIP. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The overzealous moderation and shrill right-on groupthink are all part of the charm. The way in which female posters get lavished with thanks and praise by lonely muscular wristed male posts, like seagulls mauling a dirty nappy on Dollymount strand, is pretty creepy but again part of the charm.

The overzealous moderation and shrill right-on groupthink are all part of the charm. The way in which female posters get lavished with thanks and praise by lonely muscular wristed male posts, like seagulls mauling a dirty nappy on Dollymount strand, is pretty creepy but again part of the charm.

On Boards, no-one knows your greyed-out avatar means you are a dog.

Are you?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:eek: Jesus the imagery in that. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

RayM wrote: »
    A tiny number of people broke away from a large anti-fascist protest and chased a tiny number of fascists into a pound shop. Earth-shattering stuff.

....funny though, very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't get this mindset at all. If you apply the same principles/theory to real life stuff, it's like saying oh lord this bar is an absolute kip, the bouncers are over zealous and on a complete and utter powertrip, everyone has to dress the same to get in, they're very strict on only serving drink to over 25s and it's ridiculously expensive.

All this might be true, but there's plenty of other places to go where you may be a little more comfortable or less outraged at the very least. If there are other forums that are less strict and PC, why wouldn't you just use that instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I stay despite of the flaws because I like the legacy format of the site (for now) and the witt and humour of some of the contributors.
    I've been using the site for 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

One of the worst things about boards is the widespread self-righteousness. On reddit, if someone posts a thread (for example) in r/relationships or r/personalfinance they get largely great advice.

On boards there's a huge mob mentality of being a condescending prick to someone who posts about an issue they have. You see it across the site - PI, RI, accommodation and wedding forums (two of the worst, makes them entertaining to read in a voyeuristic way), work and jobs, etc. People love turning on the OP and kicking them while they're down.

There's also a massive "them vs us" mentality between mods and regular users in a lot of forums which is very off-putting. The strict modding restricts great discussion a lot of the time. It also restricts general silliness that used to bring a lot of lightheartedness to forums such as AH.

I'm still here mainly because of private forums where I do 95% of my posting, and I still think it can be a great resource for advice/information. But it's gone way downhill (IMO) from the site it was 6/7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I don't get this mindset at all. If you apply the same principles/theory to real life stuff, it's like saying oh lord this bar is an absolute kip, the bouncers are over zealous and on a complete and utter powertrip, everyone has to dress the same to get in, they're very strict on only serving drink to over 25s and it's ridiculously expensive.

All this might be true, but there's plenty of other places to go where you may be a little more comfortable or less outraged at the very least. If there are other forums that are less strict and PC, why wouldn't you just use that instead?

You can't really compare a pub to a forum. I can have various forums open in various tabs in my browser and choose to not contribute to any or all of them. I can't be in various pubs simultaneously

omahaid wrote: »
    You can't really compare a pub to a forum. I can have various forums open in various tabs in my browser and choose to not contribute to any or all of them. I can't be in various pubs simultaneously

Of course you can. You don't like something, don't frequent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

I find alot of threads lately (particularly about personal relationships) is greeted with the response of "Sorry OP but if you're asking Boards then you're already in trouble" or something similar to that. Isn't the whole point to engage in conversation as well as asking people for advice? The condescending nature of the responses can be tiresome but there are still people here that give decent advice based on their personal experiences. Unfortunately there are alot of responses that are removed my mods in conspiracy theory threads which I find slightly ironic. How offensive/inappropriate can the comment be? It's conspiracy theory! It's supposed to be completely off the wall whacky! Disappointing sometimes.,..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Of course you can. You don't like something, don't frequent it.

I'm not frequenting it.

To use your pub analogy - this thread is like the pub where " the bouncers are over zealous and on a complete and utter powertrip, everyone has to dress the same to get in, they're very strict on only serving drink to over 25s and it's ridiculously expensive" asking "why don't you frequent this pub?"

And you can come and read a forum without contributing. Which is what I do with boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

No you don't. In 99% of cases, you get banned for behaving like a dick. A quick glance through the Prison forum is proof of that.

If right-wing people are more likely to get banned, it's because (shock-horror!) they're more likely to behave in a certain way...

Edit: Just noticed you've been banned. LOL.

I've seen people being banned for trolling when in effect they have just been responding to false allegations. And I've seen people banned for making tongue in cheek comments. Neither were acting like dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Yes but isn't part of the appeal the Irishness/local element of Boards? There are lots of other forums but you won't get a local viewpoint and therefore cultural differences exist e.g. asking an American forum about diet/relationship advice compared to Boards and the answers will differ significantly..... It's too easy to say go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

PC is one thing but boards operates in the realm of Ireland's borderline insane defamation laws which really restrict everything. It's a weird little country when it comes to the massive payouts made for these things.

They're obviously a system designed to prevent criticism of those with power and money

I'm not frequenting it.

To use your pub analogy - this thread is like the pub where " the bouncers are over zealous and on a complete and utter powertrip, everyone has to dress the same to get in, they're very strict on only serving drink to over 25s and it's ridiculously expensive" asking "why don't you frequent this pub?"

And you can come and read a forum without contributing. Which is what I do with boards.ie

Is this post a figment of my imagination

I'm not frequenting it.

That makes me feel bad for you. It's like you standing outside the pub looking in at everyone else :(

Mao Zedong Joseph Stalin Fidel Castro over 100 million dead between them but sure they did not allow any nasty right wing opinion bless their souls.;)

Who did Fidel Castro massacre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People that constantly gripe about their free speech being restricted very rarely have anything constructive, useful or interesting to say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Wibbs wrote: »
    I was a member of the Lock Inn once. By mistake. Full of cavorting nakedness and drugs it was, but they spotted me and out I went

I have no idea what you're talking about

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement

A tiny number of people broke away from a large anti-fascist protest and chased a tiny number of fascists into a pound shop. Earth-shattering stuff.

Don't let the opportunity to blow something out of proportion slip through one's fingers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement