Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards aware of the reputation it has across the web?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boards can sometimes be a bit stifled. That said you can have an opposing position to the widely accepted one, so long as you don't go nuts with it. Hell, I have on a few subjects and the poor naive souls made me a moderator. Though I suspect I got in under the wire by mistake and a few wonder to this day what fcukery is this? :pac: And that's grand too. You need a balance. *Dav is currently musing just how much of a balance is actually required*:D

As was pointed out, too often the opposing camps tend to go full rogue too soon and in the wrong forums. I saw that when I modded the Ladies lounge. So you'd have guys with opinions(™) barging in and generally making a fuss and even if they were making a valid point, it was hardly the time or the place. The clue is in the effin forum title guys. It would be like blundering into the cycling forum and kicking off with "bikes are for ****, cars are so much better", or vice versa suggesting "cars are killing the planet you fat unfit bastards, cycle". PETA vegans who knit their own muesli posting in the hunting/fishing forums kinda thing.

Me, I do like the layout here. I love the clutter(and TBH preferred it when it was more cluttered) and those nooks and crannies you could find and explore and read stuff about stuff you'd never usually read and learn about. Though I draw a very deep like at My Little Pony.

I think - and it's just my ramblings here - Boards was "better" before when it was more of a rambling random community to play about in. I think it would be a mistake to lose that.

Caveat: I'm old so nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There are private forums on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Boards is getting older and people are slowly leaving becuase they have families and responsibilities now.
    Look at boards now, trying to inject some jazz with a new interface.

The younger generation won't go on boards, becuase you can't really do much on boards. I don't care about Irish water or any of that ****e.
    Talk scutter about soccer? Will probably end up banned, if you say something mean about a player, can't even post a picture or a video of a game for fear of boards being scared they have to take it down.

I would be long gone off boards if it wasn't for the private forums, and even then, it's one rule for some forums depending who is in it and another for others.

I know reddit gets a bad name around here but it's far more enjoyable than boards. Even if it is a bit American.
    PARlance wrote: »

I was just gonna post that :p

Btw: are most of those forums mentioned, owned by same owner as boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yes, but they're shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yeah. There is a handful of chatty social forums.
    Grand if you get on with who is in there.

If your hot and female and single, you will get the ride off young bucks like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There are a fair number of private forums. It's not so much that they are owned by Boards, but rather the Boards platform is used to host the forums. Entry to the private forums is usually by invitation, although there are some exceptions like Ranting & Raving where you can PM the mods for access. They were often initially created for a group of like-minded individuals to discuss specific shared interests or friends. Tbh I can't remember the last time one was created, they're a bit of a relic from Boards past and many are just lying idle and unused as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

The ironing is delicious.

Enjoy your tasty ironing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yes, but they're shíte

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Thejournal.ie. Buzzfeed.com

We're a beacon of intellectual excellence and polite discourse compared to those radioactive abominations of soulless schmucks.

Seriously. Who cares what the outrage of the week mob think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If your hot and female and single, you will get the ride off young bucks like myself.

Are they visible to us plebs or are they private private?

• Advertisement

Are they visible to us plebs or are they private private?

They're only visible to those who have been given specific access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Boards is the North Korea of the internet.

And the master is kim Jong un

It's true. We only allow a specific number of Dav approved haircuts on the site. Failure to comply will result in a siteban.

Or be like a 3/10 and happen to have a vagina, eh, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Facekicker was the only user I ever liked. And he gave me a kick in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Mention Boards.ie on TheJournal, Reddit, Politics.ie or any other discussion forum and you'll be met with groans of over-zealous moderation and the smothering of debate with political correctness.

Surely the owners of Boards are aware of this. Do they want to change this view or are they stubbornly determined to continue along the same path? If their page views are increasing then I guess they have no incentive to change. The only thing is I'm pretty sure the site's readership has plummeted compared with 6 or 7 years ago. Anyone else encountered this opinion when they mention Boards?

Politics.ie can't talk about any other site. That site is more or less dominated by a few of the more active moderators who are pretty extreme cultural marxists & SJWs. They tend to start their own threads regularly, always on topics about racism, refugees 'white privilege', 'safe spaces' and transgender/gender fluid issues. One of them claims to be a professor in some department in either Trinity or UCD, which is not surprising seeing as how those institutions are responsible for rotting the minds of millenials & generation Y.

Being moderators the rest of the site members can't even put them on ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

For all the morning that's done, you're all still here. Bar the OP, he's banned :pac:

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    For all the morning that's done, you're all still here. Bar the OP, he's banned :pac:

Would you like to ban me from after hours for a day?

I know you always wanted to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Meh

• Advertisement

Mouldy stop talking shíte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:mad:
    I was a member of the Lock Inn once. By mistake. Full of cavorting nakedness and drugs it was, but they spotted me and out I went.
    Zaph wrote: »
    They're only visible to those who have been given specific access to them.
    And perverts like him. It puts the lotion on its skin… And the extra head on its shoulders, or it gets the hose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Would be a cold day in hell before I awknowledged I was on boards in work.

It's blocked where I work!

Wibbs wrote: »
    I was a member of the Lock Inn once. By mistake. Full of cavorting nakedness and drugs it was, but they spotted me and out I went.

And perverts like him. It puts the lotion on its skin… And the extra head on its shoulders, or it gets the hose.

You're not allowed give away it's name!!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does boards care? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Boards is not that bad.

I still use the WAP layout so I'm not sure what all these changes that people talk about are.

Maybe I'll see them one day.

the_syco wrote: »
    Does boards care? I doubt it.

They are watching you right now syco.

That strange feeling you get when you wake abruptly in the middle of the night? That's boards. Having a wander down a quiet road and being startled by a sudden sound? Boards again.
    In the pub having a few pints and out of nowhere the hairs on the back of your neck are standing up. You see where I'm going with this?

They are watching you right now syco.

That strange feeling you get when you wake abruptly in the middle of the night? That's boards. Having a wander down a quiet road and being startled by a sudden sound? Boards again.
    In the pub having a few pints and out of nowhere the hairs on the back of your neck are standing up. You see where I'm going with this?

Being on boards kind of sounds like having AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

boards is a bit like beyonce. lively and colourful, dogged by criticism and controversy frequently, yet carries on unfazed. boards is what it is. you know what you're getting. and it wont change for anyone, for better or worse. so you better put a ring on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Most of the people who give out about boards tend to be people who got banned and play down what they said. For example:

They say: I was banned for having a different opinion.
    What they actually said: You stupid ****, I hope you get raped.

What really confuses me is the people who complain about mods banning everyone they disagree with as they post on boards. Their very existence as a poster proves it wrong. If I'm unhappy with moderation on a website I don't use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement