Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

• 21-04-2016 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭

Ninety today God love her,not looking bad whatever she's on.
    Happy birthday day The Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

*grabs popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Happy Birthday Ma'am.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frogscotch

Who's going to send her a telegram in 10 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

"Work" for Royals is going to grand dinners and having expensive holidays, getting waited on 24 hours a day. Not hard to see how they tend to live to a ripe old age.

An English Republic can't come soon enough (the realist in me knows it'll probably never come).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Frogscotch wrote: »

I could see her stand down over next year or so so Charles would be sending it .

She's some lady , saw a bit of a documentary of her before she was queen and a car herself and the king were in had broken down and she got out and rolled her sleeves up and fixed it . very old footage granted .

Happy birthday Queen Elizabeth.

**** I forgot to send card , I'll get straight onto moonpig

• Registered Users Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Aww Queen...Thinking about it, its a Miracle really isn't it.
    It's a kind a magic (magic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yet, there was no thread yesterday for Hitler Day. It would have been Adolf's 127th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

An English Republic can't come soon enough (the realist in me knows it'll probably never come).

They had one once, but we Irish resisted it royally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Christ, not another thread about Panti Bliss :rolleyes:

Frogscotch wrote: »

She's some lady , saw a bit of a documentary of her before she was queen and a car herself and the king were in had broken down and she got out and rolled her sleeves up and fixed it . very old footage granted .
    She was a mechanic in the British Army IIRC.

As someone else said, it's not hard to live to 90 years of age when you have everything looked after by the most expensive people money can buy. She's had to deal with plenty of big stresses in her life, but all of the small ones are taken care of by her staff. And it's the small stresses that kill you, not the big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Happy Birthday.
    She waved to me at Epsom very year, and I waved back. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You'd be wrecked giving her 90 bumps.

beertons wrote: »
    You'd be wrecked giving her 90 bumps.

I doubt she's that heavy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

"Work" for Royals is going to grand dinners and having expensive holidays, getting waited on 24 hours a day. Not hard to see how they tend to live to a ripe old age.

She's probably been working harder than most octogenarians.

I could see her stand down over next year or so so Charles would be sending it .

Happy birthday Queen Elizabeth.

**** I forgot to send card , I'll get straight onto moonpig

There's more recent footage of her parachuting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yet, there was no thread yesterday for Hitler Day. It would have been Adolf's 127th birthday.

Well, he's already with the angels so you can't exactly send him a card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

She's probably been working harder than most octogenarians.

I don't see much work involved in her life, or the rest of the hanger on spongers. If the "work" was paid on an hour by hour basis she'd need to sign on to cover her corgi food bill.

Old people go on holiday, just most use Saga or the like, their holidays don't come courtesy of tax payers.

I don't see much work involved in her life, or the rest of the hanger on spongers. If the "work" was paid on an hour by hour basis she'd need to sign on to cover her corgi food bill.
    To be fair, if you asked me whether I'd prefer my life or hers, I'd pick mine. And I think most people would be the same.

No, she doesn't do a lot of work really. But at the same time I imagine she hasn't had a single day where she just said "**** it", got out of bed and spent six hours wandering between the couch and the kitchen before even thinking about getting dressed or having a shower.

How many times do you think she's sat in front of the telly with no pants on, a roaring fire, a dirty chinese in front of her and a vegged out watching sh1te TV.

I mention she's had no small stresses in her life. But she probably has very few of the small pleasures either. She still has to get dressed in her finery just to go see her grandchildren and great grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I doubt the uk economy could afford to pay the Queen on an hourly rate for the job she does, an endless round of travelling to 3 or 4 venues every day to meet a load of obsequious strangers, having to feign interest in their new factory/ bandstand/ basket weaving community centre and ask them questions before hearing yet another school choir murder a medley of beige classics. Trying to ensure her husband doesn't say something offensive again as they wander down some dreary high street accepting bunches of flowers from snot nosed children before getting back in the car to do the same again 30 miles down the road. And then at the end of the day she can't kick her shoes off and put on her sweat pants she has to get dolled up and meet some visiting dignitaries and exchange polite small talk so that they will trade with her country.

**** job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nobody's drunk yet , not a chance of any outrage.
    No to foreign games etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Old people go on holiday, just most use Saga or the like, their holidays don't come courtesy of tax payers.

A dinner isn't necessarily time off if you have to make a speech. Speaking is work in fact. It has to be prepared for.

And all those engagements are work. Sure she travels but so do businessmen.

I'd get rid of royalty but they do work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well I firmy believe that those in free social housing living off the state's teat should have to contribute some form of comunity service until the find a real job....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

The original Lizard Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

conorhal wrote: »
    Well I firmy believe that those in free social housing living off the state's teat should have to contribute some form of comunity service until the find a real job....

I believe she was offered a 3-bed semi in Hounslow but she turned it down. Said there wasn't enough room in the garden for a trampoline, so she held out for better and eventually got offered Buck Palace.

It's scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I work in London and there's a larger-than-life size (unless she is 6'2) cardboard Queen in the lunchroom today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

BBDBB wrote: »
    I doubt the uk economy could afford to pay the Queen on an hourly rate for the job she does

Well the "Soverign Grant" is 40 million. There are 8760 hours in a year, so that's about 4.5 grand an hour (including sleepytime). Get someone off Jobbridge to do it. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I work in London and there's a larger-than-life size (unless she is 6'2) cardboard Queen in the lunchroom today.

Thats crying out for a cock&balls to be drawn on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The whole concept of a monarchy in this day and age is ridiculous and outdated; similarly forking out millions of actual working people's money to fund a shower of parasites is a joke considering the austerity the rest of the country is being subjected to.

The Royal Family embodies the worst of British society to be honest; undemocratic, militaristic and hereditary privilege.