Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite stand up comedian ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

No, have searched a few times.

He notes that Howard raised 44k in a few days cycling for kids in Africa. But then notes that Howard made 4 mill that year through comedy. So by giving up work and going cycling, he was making much less for them. The piece ends with him as a child in Africa asking "why are we starving" and a mother saying something like "cos of Russell Howard". It was pretty crushing during a longer piece about Mock the Week targeting people like Susan Boyle. It was a a demolition of that whole right on charidy stuff.

Interesting, cheers.

I turned into an adult and did some googling all by myself and apparently it's from Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle S2E3.

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/slcv2/2015-11-03-my-broken-id-charity/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

But I have to agree on Des Bishop, not one bit funny and I don't get how anyone could find him funny either. It's the same joke every single time, he has spent over 10 years now trying to knock humour out of the culutral differences between Ireland and the US. That's his entire act, nothing else. Just comparing what we do here with what he was used to at home. Obviously a bit of this stuff in a show is fine but he has literally built his whole career on it.

And then when that ran a bit low for him he went to China for a while so he could make jokes about the differences between them and us.

As for comedians I like, I like a lot of them to be honest but the two that stand out most are Kevin Bridges and Dara O'Briain. Both class.

Your post is a little contradictory considering both Kevin Bridges and Dara O'Briain use the cultural differences between Scotland/Ireland and the Uk/rest of the world in their acts.

I find Des Bishop hilarious personally but, like you, I recognise that it's all subjective ......... for example, I'll never understand why people find the likes of Lee Evans funny ........ but they do and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Your post is a little contradictory considering both Kevin Bridges and Dara O'Briain use the cultural differences between Scotland/Ireland and the Uk/rest of the world in their acts.

I find Des Bishop hilarious personally but, like you, I recognise that it's all subjective ......... for example, I'll never understand why people find the likes of Lee Evans funny ........ but they do and that's that.

That actually is a very fair point, they do both use it a lot. Maybe I just find their stuff funnier and it's not that I dislike Des Bishop for his style of comedy but more that I just don't find him funny.

Having said that I don't think Bridges or O'Briain are near as one dimensional as Bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dave Chapelle and Bill Burr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Bill Burr, Patrice O'Neal (RIP) and Louis CK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Amy Schumer

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

That actually is a very fair point, they do both use it a lot. Maybe I just find their stuff funnier and it's not that I dislike Des Bishop for his style of comedy but more that I just don't find him funny.

Having said that I don't think Bridges or O'Briain are near as one dimensional as Bishop

O'Briain certainly has lot more than just the one set of jokes and is at the mercy of audience interaction for a lot of his show. Bishop and Peter Kay are very similar in that their stand up routines were very successful and they almost seem unwilling to risk changing them in the slightest resulting in the same jokes for the last decade. Saying that I still think Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights is one of the great sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wasn't really a fan of Dara O Briain but got free tickets to see him once and he was fantastic. Never stopped once, great audience interaction and absolutely destroyed a heckler that had the rest of us in stitches. Became a fan of his after the show he was that good.

LaVail wrote: »
    Not stand up but David Mitchell cracks me up

The thing I enjoy most about Mitchell is that he seems to be genuinely intelligent. Some of the Whitehall/Howard types, it's just a routine. On shows they can come up with a cute line or two usually starting with "my Mum, right..." Or "my Dad, right..." but Mitchell is way beyond that.

• Advertisement

Daniel Kitson
    None of his material beyond 2006 is particularly easy to find online (there's a good 10 or so completely different shows to find if you look though), but even his earlier stuff is pretty damn good.

Here's an article about him http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/aug/05/daniel-kitson-god-small-things
    Here's a legally available show of his https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/album/the-stand-august-2005

Thanks.

Some very funny stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I cannot stand John Bishop, Ed Byrne, Jason Byrne or Andrew Maxwell. All very poor indeed

Jason Byrne should be thrown into a vat of boiling mayonnaise.

Doug Stanhope is great. Check out his segments on Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's funny when people are giving out about each other's taste in comedy.
    As if there was a right and wrong in humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

biko wrote: »
    It's funny when people are giving out about each other's taste in comedy.
    As if there was a right and wrong in humour.

Well, there are "wrongs" in humour alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

tommy cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If we're taking pure stand up and not tv/sit cons etc., then for me:

Bill Hicks
    Jeff Ross
    Eddie Murphy (in his prime, circa Delirious)
    Bill Burr
    Frankie Boyle (I know he's very divisive but I liked him)

I do like Coogan and Gervais. Gervais is a better stand up IMO, Coogan is a better all rounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Richard Prior.

Richard Prior.

Sheet! Forgot about RP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Frankie Boyle (I know he's very divisive but I liked him)

He is divisive because he is an absolute bell end. When he specifically targeted a disabled wee boy (Katie prices wee fella) then he crossed the line and he deserves every bit of flack that he received for that.

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    He is divisive because he is an absolute bell end. When he specifically targeted a disabled wee boy (Katie prices wee fella) then he crossed the line and he deserves every bit of flack that he received for that.

Are you going to dismiss everything he's ever done based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Are you going to dismiss everything he's ever done based on that?

It's a good start. I thought what he said was pretty loathsome and I have never heard him apologise for it.

I think he's about as funny as a kick in the balls irrespective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was in the Electric Picnic Comedy tent one year & we noticed all the other comedians gathering at the back of the tent. This hadn't happened when anyone else was performing. They had come to watch Tommy Tiernan .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

It's a good start. I thought what he said was pretty loathsome and I have never heard him apologise for it.

He is a very astute social commentator at times. Comedy shouldn't have limits. The joke about Katie Price's kid was hugely distasteful and it did put me off him for a while, but ultimately I don't think it discredits his entire career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He is a very astute social commentator at times. Comedy shouldn't have limits. The joke about Katie Price's kid was hugely distasteful and it did put me off him for a while, but ultimately I don't think it discredits his entire career.

Fair enough. However I do think comedy should have some limits. The joke about Harvey price wasn't just distasteful. It was smarmy bullying jibes at a wee boy who could never hope to defend himself. I'm not that easily offended but boyles' comments stuck with me for a long time.

I can't stand the sight of him to be honest.

If he's not to your taste, that's understandable.

Like a previous poster I don't believe comedy should have boundaries.

I don't look to comedians for rules to live my life by, I just want them to make me laugh. Boyle does that for me.

Then again my sense of humour would be pretty extreme at times.

Re. am apology or otherwise....why should he? Everyone knows it would be fake. Would you like a nice PR type letter of apology read out in front of the cameras with maybe a staged tear thrown in? I'm not sure what the point of it would be. At least he's being true to himself.

I'm not sure however that it is your place to be offended by what he said. It wasn't addressed at your child after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Patww79 wrote: »

I think that this is true for most of the greats because they lose that energy & anger. The great ones have that ability to combine humour with an edginess & unpredictability.

• Advertisement

If he's not to your taste, that's understandable.

Like a previous poster I don't believe comedy should have boundaries.

I don't look to comedians for rules to live my life by, I just want them to make me laugh. Boyle does that for me.

Then again my sense of humour would be pretty extreme at times.

Re. am apology or otherwise....why should he? Everyone knows it would be fake. Would you like a nice PR type letter of apology read out in front of the cameras with maybe a staged tear thrown in? I'm not sure what the point of it would be. At least he's being true to himself.

I'm not sure however that it is your place to be offended by what he said. It wasn't addressed at your child after all.

That's a fair point I suppose. Even if Boyle did apologise I still wouldn't believe him. I like the being true to himself take on it though. Can we all use that excuse no matter what we say then??? Boyle was a scumbag for what he said. There is no getting around that.

Advertisement