Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite stand up comedian ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's probably a thesis to be written there which would also take in Mrs Brown's Boys and all that You Got (Absolutely No) Talent dross. Lowest common denominator just appeals to the masses for some reason.

Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

weemcd wrote: »
    Amy Schumer - lowest common denominator crap and she steals jokes apparently.

This is not intended as sexist, but if she was a man, she'd be playing to 6 people in a bar and 5 of them would be watching football while the other did a crossword.

Sarah Silverman and Joan Rivers are/were very funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jason Manford is my current favourite.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I really like Richard Herring, the comedian Stewart Lee wishes he was (I also love Stewart Lee)

If anyone watches the latest Comedy vehicle, there was a piece where Stewart Lee spent at least 10 minutes smacking his lips and chomping and not saying anything else.

This is funny when you imagine hundreds or thousands of people flicking over to BBC2 without any idea what is going on or who Stewart Lee is, and being annoyed/confused/disgusted at the depths to which the BBC quality control has sunk.

i don't watch 'Goggle box' but I'd probably watch it to see how they reacted to this routine.

If you don't think Stewart Lee is funny, then the joke is on you.

Charlie Brooker isn't a stand-up but everything he says makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When Denis Leary was on form, he was easily up there. He had a rant about "coffee-flavoured coffee" that rules:

(Yes, I know Leary lifted some bits from Bill Hicks - just as Bill Hicks borrowed bits from Lenny Bruce and George Carlin. Where Leary really shat the bed was in letting the "Jim Fixx" routine get on to one of his albums. His original work such as No Cure For Cancer was better.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I really like Richard Herring, the comedian Stewart Lee wishes he was (I also love Stewart Lee)

If anyone watches the latest Comedy vehicle, there was a piece where Stewart Lee spent at least 10 minutes smacking his lips and chomping and not saying anything else.

Think that was his take on Rod Liddle, with bits of food stuck to his jacket...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Don't know if he's been mentioned but quite like Ross Noble. Only ever seen him on panel shows like WILTY or HIGNFY and generally makes me laugh.

Also trying to remember the name of a guy who was around 15-20 years ago, only did a few gigs, developed a cult following and then basically disappeared. Might have been Scottish I think, did kind of surreal comedy and used lots of props which he'd basically fling all over the stage. Not much to go on, but might flick a switch in somebody's memory bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Don't know if he's been mentioned but quite like Ross Noble. Only ever seen him on panel shows like WILTY or HIGNFY and generally makes me laugh.

Also trying to remember the name of a guy who was around 15-20 years ago, only did a few gigs, developed a cult following and then basically disappeared. Might have been Scottish I think, did kind of surreal comedy and used lots of props which he'd basically fling all over the stage. Not much to go on, but might flick a switch in somebody's memory bank?

Jerry Sadowitz? He's put a huge amount of energy into taking down any of his material (he released several comedy albums) which people post online.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Jerry Sadowitz? He's put a huge amount of energy into taking down any of his material (he released several comedy albums) which people post online.

Yes, that's him, thanks. I don't know why he's so uptight about his material but I tend to respect guys who don't hawk themselves relentlessly around every available media channel. Very funny whenever I've seen him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

He's the best comedian I've ever seen live.

He used to do a show on channel 5 called the people versus...where members of the audience would come up and talk about whatever they wanted until jerry got bored/annoyed/full of hate. It was a top show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

eviltwin wrote: »
    Bill Hicks, Frankie Boyle and Chubby Brown. Denis Leary was brilliant too before he gave it up.

No cure for cancer was comic genius.

Been to see very few comedians but

Dara O'Briain - Hilarious
    Josh Widdecombe - Hilarious
    Jimmy Carr - Seen it all before
    Reginald T Hunter - Meh
    Milton Jones - funny but stretched the joke too far
    Gary Delaney - Hilarious
    Double show with Patrick McDonnell and John Colleary - Laughed my arse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Jerry Sadowitz never got on telly after he outed Jimmy Savile.

The pervert scum closed ranks

dresden8 wrote: »

Didn't John Lydon get the same treatment too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I love Jeff Dunham, the ventriloquist fella with the dummies. He's just hilarious!

Said absolutely no human being that ever existed....

dresden8 wrote: »

Actually he appeared on tv a number of times, including the BBC, and even had his own show on Channel 5.

Advertisement