Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite stand up comedian ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Crumpets wrote: »
    I'm trying to like him but every 'eeeeeehhhh' bit after Dara O'Briain line irks me too much

I think he's the most unfunny comedian ever. He sounds like an auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Love Jim Jeffries at the moment. Extremely sarcastic and blunt about a lot of things. He does a bit on US gun control to a U.S. Audience and I thought he did a terrific job....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not stand up but David Mitchell cracks me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Dylan moran. Funny witty. Love him

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Love Billy Connollys early stuff - more where he's playing music and narrating. His take on Jesus being from Glasgow and the last supper is epic. Really like Mickey Flannigans storytelling style as well. Peter Kaye was brilliant when he first broke onto the scene but his material has barely changed in a decade (similar to Des Bishop).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Love Billy Connollys early stuff - more where he's playing music and narrating. His take on Jesus being from Glasgow and the last supper is epic. Really like Mickey Flannigans storytelling style as well. Peter Kaye was brilliant when he first broke onto the scene but his material has barely changed in a decade (similar to Des Bishop).

Garlic bread!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Love Jim Jeffries at the moment.

Oops! Forgot about Jim. Would have to put him in with the other 12 of my top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tinpib

Stewart Lee.

His demolition of Russell Howard cycling for charity..

Any link for that? I think Howard is hopeless so interested to hear what Stewie said.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Always loved Stewart Lee, when I was a kid I used to watch TMWRNJ religiously (since it was on a Sunday morning).

Went to see Jerry Seinfeld when he was in Dublin a few years ago and while I'm sure he's boring to many he's a good craftsman and Seinfeld is probably my favourite TV show ever.

I've never liked any Irish stand up. They mostly just shout things.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Has to be George Carlin

Have a look on YouTube at his routine about religion and God it's hilarious and absolutely spot on. "He loves you.....but he NEEDS Money!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Bill Hicks is great. Doug Stanhope is also worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

More sit down than stand up (and you've all mentioned some excellent ones, home grown and not)
    But Dave Allen. He was ahead of his time, cheeky, sacreligious, clever. Hard to find repeats of his routines and sketch shows, hard not to laugh.

tinpib wrote: »
    Any link for that? I think Howard is hopeless so interested to hear what Stewie said.

No, have searched a few times.

He notes that Howard raised 44k in a few days cycling for kids in Africa. But then notes that Howard made 4 mill that year through comedy. So by giving up work and going cycling, he was making much less for them. The piece ends with him as a child in Africa asking "why are we starving" and a mother saying something like "cos of Russell Howard". It was pretty crushing during a longer piece about Mock the Week targeting people like Susan Boyle. It was a a demolition of that whole right on charidy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Daniel Kitson
    None of his material beyond 2006 is particularly easy to find online (there's a good 10 or so completely different shows to find if you look though), but even his earlier stuff is pretty damn good.

Here's an article about him http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/aug/05/daniel-kitson-god-small-things
    Here's a legally available show of his https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/album/the-stand-august-2005

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Bo Burnham

Bill Burr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

dem Russell comedians are fairly annoying. Watching their stand up is like sucking watery diarrhea through a dusty funnel.

Johnny Vegas is funny, but at times a little outrageous. In one show, he went out to the audience and kissed a guys wife in front of him !

Johnny Vegas is funny, but at times a little outrageous. In one show, he went out to the audience and kissed a guys wife in front of him !
    The problem with Johnny Vegas is that his on stage character doesn't really work as well when he's a famous celebrity type.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious were a very good watch. Of the more recent times Kevin Bridges is the one that stands out imo

The problem with Johnny Vegas is that his on stage character doesn't really work as well when he's a famous celebrity type.

That's exactly it ! Some comedians are just not suited to the mainstream circuit really, Stewart Lee is another example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

How anyone thinks Des Bishop is funny is beyond me - Billy connelly is about as funny as isis in my opinion.

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Briain
    Kevin Bridges
    Jimeoin
    Chris rock
    Kevin Hart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Forgot to add Bill Hicks, Tommy Tiernan and Bill Burr to my list, all really good but Burr, in particular, is brilliant!

Did Bill Hicks change his name to Alex Jones the conspiracy theory guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Pretzill wrote: »
    More sit down than stand up (and you've all mentioned some excellent ones, home grown and not)
    But Dave Allen. He was ahead of his time, cheeky, sacreligious, clever. Hard to find repeats of his routines and sketch shows, hard not to laugh.

After 5 pages in I was wondering if anyone had even heard of him. It was only a few weeks ago that I watched a lot of his stuff on youtube and still found it funny after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

And still nobody has mentioned. ..

Steve Coogan.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    After 5 pages in I was wondering if anyone had even heard of him. It was only a few weeks ago that I watched a lot of his stuff on youtube and still found it funny after all these years.
    Stewart Lee's been a huge advocate for him in the past decade or so, bringing him up in interviews all the time.

Pretty sure his contracts with the BBC banned them from repeating his shows because he felt that it would just result in him blocking some younger talent from being able to get a spot on television. So that's a lot of why he isn't remembered as well as he perhaps should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Bill Burr, Stanhope and Louie CK are miles ahead at the moment.

Some of Frankie Boyles political stuff is decent as well actually. Stewart Lee is good if you're into that kind of humour

Generally though, UK and Irish comedians have been fucking muck the last few years. They're all coming up through unfunny panel shows because there's not really much of a platform

Anyone who thinks Russel Howard or Andy Parsons are funny have obviously been lobotomised, just awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

My opinion, for what its worth. To me the legends of stand up are Pryor, Garlin , Connolly, Dave Allen and Joan Rivers. The best of the rest and more current i suppose are Bridges, Flanagan, Jeffries and CK Louis.
    My personal favourite of all time is Chris Rock.
    Most overated for me are Peter Kay and above all Bill Hicks, a George Carlin rip off who was nowhere near as clever or as funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

ardinn wrote: »
    How anyone thinks Des Bishop is funny is beyond me - Billy connelly is about as funny as isis in my opinion.

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Briain
    Kevin Bridges
    Jimeoin
    Chris rock
    Kevin Hart

I don't usually like critisizing comedians because of all forms of entertainments I think it's probably the most polarising one. What one person hates, another loves. While we can generally up to a point agree on what's a great song or a great film it is impossible find a comedian that everyone likes.

But I have to agree on Des Bishop, not one bit funny and I don't get how anyone could find him funny either. It's the same joke every single time, he has spent over 10 years now trying to knock humour out of the culutral differences between Ireland and the US. That's his entire act, nothing else. Just comparing what we do here with what he was used to at home. Obviously a bit of this stuff in a show is fine but he has literally built his whole career on it.

And then when that ran a bit low for him he went to China for a while so he could make jokes about the differences between them and us.

As for comedians I like, I like a lot of them to be honest but the two that stand out most are Kevin Bridges and Dara O'Briain. Both class.

Never get the Kevin Bridges popularity.

Any time I've seen him, usually on shows like Would I Lie to You, there is nothing that subtle, lots of the usual "Scotland, home of deep fried Mars Bars" stuff, followed by a big grin as he seems as surprised (as I am) to hear this shtick appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Advertisement