Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite stand up comedian ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

timthumbni wrote: »
    That's a fair point I suppose. Even if Boyle did apologise I still wouldn't believe him. I like the being true to himself take on it though. Can we all use that excuse no matter what we say then??? Boyle was a scumbag for what he said. There is no getting around that.

No I'm not saying that. There is a difference however between hate speech being delivered by a racist (for example) and something said by a professional comedian in jest. Whether people find the latter funny is subjective, whereas the former is what it is, hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I'm not sure however that it is your place to be offended by what he said. It wasn't addressed at your child after all.

That is a pretty rubbish argument to be honest.

timthumbni wrote: »
    That is a pretty rubbish argument to be honest.

It wasn't the core of my argument.

FWIW, I didn't think that was his finest moment either, but I don't get the hate for him based on that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

John Bishop. If I see him on the TV I'll stop channel hopping and watch and have a giggle.

No I'm not saying that. There is a difference however between hate speech being delivered by a racist (for example) and something said by a professional comedian in jest. Whether people find the latter funny is subjective, whereas the former is what it is, hate speech.

Listen, whenever a grown man purposely makes fun of a mentally disabled child then he has crossed the line. Not just in general but naming the kid. You might find that sort of so called comedy edgy and funny. I find it disgusting.

Sort of like hate speech, only against specifically a wee boy. So funny... But he's a "professional" comedian. So that's ok then...

• Advertisement

It wasn't the core of my argument.

FWIW, I didn't think that was his finest moment either, but I don't get the hate for him based on that comment.

Actually I will end my input here. You aren't frankie Boyle and it isn't a big part of my life. My favourite is still Ronnie Corbett so up yours frankie Boyle. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I saw Boyle's most recent tour on Netflix (had a ticket for Dub and didn't go)

Wasn't very impressed, mostly 'Tories are Paedoes' and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'm not a fan of Boyle's ........... not because of his Harvey jokes (I don't believe there are limits in comedy personally) but because he is guilty of the worst crime any comic can be guilty of .......... he has never made me laugh! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I enjoyed this video of Jimmy Carr interviewing Frankie Boyle; it goes some way towards explaining their different styles. It appears that standup comes more naturally to Jimmy, while Frankie is more of a writer and isn't as keen on the public performance side of it. He deals with this by getting confrontational, and this comes out in tour names such as the "I Would Happily Punch Every One of You in the Face" tour of 2010.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

I like one liners, Stewart Francis and Milton Jones aren't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Michael McIntyre

Yeah roight. I jest. How the Hades did he become highest grossing whatever.

So many good, so many varieties over the years, hard to pick, Billy Connolly, Richard Pryor, Dylan Moran, Dave Allen, Ben Elton, etc.
    Tire easily of the ott manic type delivery that lacks substance, but for masters of manic slapstick hard to beat a bit of Bottom live. Rik and Adrian in their heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

munster87 wrote: »
    I like one liners, Stewart Francis and Milton Jones aren't bad.

Stewart Francis great alright.

Curently on tour, I would love to see Reeves and Mortimer!

Also, Steve Coogan has been mentioned, doesn't do much stand up these days but for me, I think he's an absolute genius. I mean, he was playing Partridge in his 20's and he just got the whole desperate middle aged man bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Kevin Mc Aleer is the best I've seen live yet. Real drags tears of laughter from you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Unfortunately Norm Macdonald doesn't do many specials but any appearances on talk shows or podcasts are usually great.

Andy Kindler especially his State of the industry Speeches are my current fav.

wil wrote: »
    Michael McIntyre

Yeah roight. I jest. How the Hades did he become highest grossing whatever.

So many good, so many varieties over the years, hard to pick, Billy Connolly, Richard Pryor, Dylan Moran, Dave Allen, Ben Elton, etc.
    Tire easily of the ott manic type delivery that lacks substance, but for masters of manic slapstick hard to beat a bit of Bottom live. Rik and Adrian in their heyday.

I don't get the Michael McIntyre thing at all. I don't find him remotely funny. I can't for the life of me understand the level of his fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Bill Burr
    The only reason I can think of why one wouldn't say bill burr is that one hasn't heard of bill burr
    One should watch Bill Burr
    And Louis CK and Dylan Moran too I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bill Hicks
    Billy Connolly
    Bill Bailey
    Jackie Healy-Rae
    Joan Burton
    Gerry Adams
    Mick Wallace
    Enda Kenny
    Micheal Martin
    Eamon Ryan
    Richard Boyd Barrett
    Paul Murphy

In no particular order

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

George Carlin, I loved the way that as he got older he got even more brutally honest (probably didn't need to worry about being boycotted).

Also Bill Burr, only stumbled on to him the past year or so but he's a funny boyo, reminds me a lot of George Carlin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mitch Hedberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Thanks.

Some very funny stuff there.
    Cheers!

There's absolutely loads of his stuff out there; by my count there's at least 16 full completely different sets ranging between 60-120 minutes each, which is nuts for a 38 year old.
    He keeps saying that he intends to make all of his older shows available online in some manner or another for f*ck all legally too and I gather it's laziness that's mostly preventing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Jack Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Few of the main ones:

Jim Jefferies
    Bill Burr
    Doug Stanhope
    George Carlin
    Tom Segura
    Kevin Bridges
    Steve Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Lee Mack

Full on rapid fire and manic

boobar wrote: »
    Lee Mack

I don't know how I forgot Mack. I've seen him live 5 times now and each show has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

David Sedaris
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    ... I tend to like my stand up old school and a bit crude.

Ooops, strike what I just said, you probably won't like him. In addition he's not really a stand up, more of an author and orator so I guess I'm really far off the mark here.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

boobar wrote: »
    Lee Mack

I've never been to see him live but I'd say he'd be good. He's very quick-witted on Would I Lie To You. That sitcom of his is terrible, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I loved George Carlin.
    Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But...He loves you.

He loves you...and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!

I mostly see comedy now in short bursts on youtube and the like, rather than full shows - they're too long and it all gets repetitive.

Frankie Boyle makes me laugh, and then I feel embarrassed for laughing. But I laugh anyway.

I've never been to see him live but I'd say he'd be good. He's very quick-witted on Would I Lie To You. That sitcom of his is terrible, though.

He writes both....WILTY is as heavily scripted as NGO, it just works better pending to be off the cuff. Plus NGO is a more family oriented show that's actually filmed before a studio audience as a sit com so there's more constraints on how far the envelope can be pushed I guess.

Live he's very, very good. He's not as out there as say a Frankie Boyle type comedian, but he's a master of his brand of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I don't get the Michael McIntyre thing at all. I don't find him remotely funny. I can't for the life of me understand the level of his fame.

There's probably a thesis to be written there which would also take in Mrs Brown's Boys and all that You Got (Absolutely No) Talent dross. Lowest common denominator just appeals to the masses for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Standup is very subjective. Probably the most subjective art. I would say probably 90% of comedians I don't find funny, I think this is because most of them are selling you some BS story that never happened. I need to be able to believe them, even if they are spinning me a complete yarn, which I am sure they are doing most of the time.

I like:
    Bill Hicks - but that's a weird one, as I don't find him incredibly funny, more just spot on with everything he's saying where I'm just agreeing with him.
    Reggie D Hunter - Great storyteller, very funny, very likeable and laid back. I got a genuine vibe from his standup, where I could actually believe what he was saying.
    Jim Jeffries - absolutely spot on, no BS from him, funny guy. One of my favourites.
    Andrew Dice Clay - a bit dated now, but his old shows where he filled arenas are still hilarious. None of the political correctness you get these days.
    Dylan Moran - dry as a bone and hilarious because of it.
    Joey Diaz - great comedian and storyteller, though I must confess I enjoy his podcasts more when he is just talking to people, drops some absolute gems that have me howling in work just in general conversation.
    Richard Pryor - an all time great.
    Chris Rock - a pioneer.
    Dave Chapelle - a pioneer just like Rock.
    Jimmy Carr - saw him live and he surprised me how funny he was, very quick-witted.

I like Bill Burr ok, but I have never found the appeal of Louis CK yet.

People who are as funny as cancer:
    Russell Howard, Michael Mcintyre, Amy Schumer - lowest common denominator crap and she steals jokes apparently.

Advertisement