Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever masturbated ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Lol at the joints with parents question. It just goes to show the difference between families. I could easily smoke a joint with my Dad, he's mad for the joints. Many of my aunts and uncles smoke. My Mother doesn't but she probably did when she was younger. I don't smoke at all though, so never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

smash wrote: »
    Yea a lot of girls are comfortably in talking about their vibrators. I've yet to hear a man ever discuss his fleshlight or whatever else he might have.

I can only imagine that the sale of female sex toys massively outweighs those for males and that's why very few men would talk about their fleshlight. The fact is that the men don't have them because they don't need them and can do the job just as well with what god gave them.

If I had to guess I'd say that more men would own a butt plug than a fleshlight.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've heard ladies urging friends that have become single to buy a vibrator and such. A female colleague told me just last week that she had to fly home and get something she needed for an interview from her nightstand herself instead of asking her mother to bring it "because there were things in there I didn't want my mother seeing".

It's a personal and intimate thing and I think people are just happy enough to treat it as such rather than it being a massive taboo. To generalise, I think men know what's what and are happy to make jokes not talk about it with each other. I don't think we're as repressed as we like to think we are.

I think some people cannot discuss openly that they have sexual urges and that they satisfy these urges. In fact I don't just think it I know it.
    The pleasure we derive from masterbated is one of the most primal experiences a human can have.

Take a look at your language for example. "..a vibrator and such". It's just a vibrator. A wonderful device that comes in many shapes and sizes. Or was there something else as well? If so what? There is no need for "and such".

Also vibrators have their role to play in relationships as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jayop wrote: »
    The fact is that the men don't have them because they don't need them and can do the job just as well with what god gave them.

I doubt that. I'd say a vibrating pussy would be a held of a lot better than your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I doubt that. I'd say a vibrating pussy would be a held of a lot better than your hand.

Not my hand!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

7 attempts at IVF before we had a child, I am proud to call myself a successful wanker!
    :)

I find myself getting more and more paranoid about this survey :) They way it periodically reports to you what other people voted - and the way it periodically repeats questions to you that you answered before - and the way it presents _some_ questions in seriously differing formats - from in your face 50 50 choices - to multiple choices made small - to sometimes the _same_ choices offered in different colors. Something is going on with this survey that is not clear from the survey itself.

My general feeling from the way the questions are formulated - presented - and repeated is this is an exercise in NLP. In that they are not trying to collate answers so much as they are trying to see how answers can be affected by differing presentations - such as if you ask the same question with in your face options - or more dilute multiple choice - or after suggesting a consensus morality of "the other" - and such like that.

I dropped Orinoco and Nozz and a few others a PM to see if they could do the survey too and see if they come to the same conclusions - as they appear to have some knowledge about surveys and statistics and other similar methodologies. But in general I do not think this survey is studying what any of us think it might be studying :) I cant WAIT to hear the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

I prefer sex to masturbation so I haven't masturbated much in years.

My son smoked a joint with me on Sunday night does that count?

I dropped Orinoco and Nozz and a few others a PM to see if they could do the survey too and see if they come to the same conclusions - as they appear to have some knowledge about surveys and statistics and other similar methodologies. But in general I do not think this survey is studying what any of us think it might be studying :) I cant WAIT to hear the results :)

So many questions.

Who are Orinoco and Nozz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I

Take a look at your language for example. "..a vibrator and such". It's just a vibrator. A wonderful device that comes in many shapes and sizes. Or was there something else as well? If so what? There is no need for "and such".

I'm assuming the poster meant that it is not limited to just vibrators.

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    I'm assuming the poster meant that it is not limited to just vibrators.

Indeed.

I'm trained to always look beyond the obvious :)

So many questions.

Who are Orinoco and Nozz?

Orinoco is a user of boards who I saw making comments about how and why the census questions are formulated how they are.

He seemed to display some hands on knowledge about how the way a question is formulated or presented on a form can influence the results of the question. And his comments on why they might want to maintain such a structure.

The Nozz is also a user of boards who has displayed a passing knowledge of how to interpret the results of a scientific study. Such as his comments on the misuse of MSM statistics.

So two _Very_ good sources to validate my conspiracy theory here. If I could add a third person I would resurrect Morbert. Now _that_ is a man who can break down a survey or study.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think some people cannot discuss openly that they have sexual urges and that they satisfy these urges. In fact I don't just think it I know it.

Fair enough :)
    The pleasure we derive from masterbated is one of the most primal experiences a human can have.

Lol! I mean vibrators, dildos, toys and any other object used to thrill and excite in an errr... how shall we say... sexy kind of way

/blushes

:P

I find myself getting more and more paranoid about this survey :) They way it periodically reports to you what other people voted - and the way it periodically repeats questions to you that you answered before -

It also allows you to revert and change your answer.

Orinoco is a user of boards who I saw making comments about how and why the census questions are formulated how they are.

He seemed to display some hands on knowledge about how the way a question is formulated or presented on a form can influence the results of the question. And his comments on why they might want to maintain such a structure.

I am forever curious is all :)

It also allows you to revert and change your answer.

I noticed that too. My internal conspiracy theory feels like this whole survey is a test of how peoples answers to questions can be influenced. Not in any particular direction or with any particular agenda. But just a measure of how and by how much they _can_ be influenced.

Fair enough :)

Lol! I mean vibrators, dildos, toys and any other object used to thrill and excite in an errr... how shall we say... sexy kind of way

/blushes

:P

I was gonna list off examples of what else you could have been referring to but thought I'd just end up looking like some kind of weird pervert :pac:

I am forever curious is all :)

but about what? :) And to what end :)

Heheheh just trying to out do your curiosity there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was gonna list off examples of what else you could have been referring to but thought I'd just end up looking like some kind of weird pervert :pac:

And you wonder why I'm repressed.

I noticed that too. My internal conspiracy theory feels like this whole survey is a test of how peoples answers to questions can be influenced. Not in any particular direction or with any particular agenda. But just a measure of how and by how much they _can_ be influenced.

Mine too. I fail to see the relevance of suggesting what others have answered. Couple that with the fact that the button you select, on mobile at least, holds its active state for the next question so that it stands out to you when you view the next question. There's also the varying colour's used for answers which is psychological. Then there's the prompt to save your progress, which is odd because it's a surveyand not a test or exercise.

• Advertisement

Anal beads
    Anal vibrator
    Burmese Bells
    Butt plug
    Sex swing
    Cock ring
    BDSM equipment, masks etc,
    G spot vibrator
    etc

:p

And you wonder why I'm repressed.

Nah its only weird when i list them on your behalf, you're good :)

Anal beads
    Anal vibrator
    Burmese Bells
    Butt plug
    Sex swing
    Cock ring
    BDSM equipment, masks etc,
    G spot vibrator
    etc

:p

Admit it, you looked in your bedside locker before making that list.

Admit it, you looked in your bedside locker before making that list.

It's a box under my bed.

Mine too. I fail to see the relevance of suggesting what others have answered. Couple that with the fact that the button you select, on mobile at least, holds its active state for the next question so that it stands out to you when you view the next question. There's also the varying colour's used for answers which is psychological. Then there's the prompt to save your progress, which is odd because it's a surveyand not a test or exercise.

The one that gets me the most is the display that places your answers in a spiral cloud display against others. With a negative word in the middle. So at the end of my survey I got a spiral cloud of words with "LOST" placed very big in the middle - with less emotive words placed around it like "TRANSIT" - with the option to "Stop now or answer more questions" in the middle.

I am convinced _strongly_ that the goal of this survey is to test how much peoples answers can be influenced internally within a survey.

If that _is_ what they are doing they have structured this survey very well. If it is not then - this survey is a methodological horror show :)

The one that gets me the most is the display that places your answers in a spiral cloud display against others. With a negative word in the middle. So at the end of my survey I got a spiral cloud of words with "LOST" placed very big in the middle - with less emotive words placed around it like "TRANSIT" - with the option to "Stop now or answer more questions" in the middle.

I am convinced _strongly_ that the goal of this survey is to test how much peoples answers can be influenced internally within a survey.

If that _is_ what they are doing they have structured this survey very well. If it is not then - this survey is a methodological horror show :)

Try it again, using a younger age. I tried it at 21 and got a very different survey where I was also asked to supply a word I feel describes my generatation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

But that was only displayed after you'd answered the quesion so it wasn't going to influence your response.

Also, I'd put money on the display being standard infographic style where the most common words or phrases submitted are bigger than the less cited ones.

Hell, even the keyword guide for my blog does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Funny that the Thread below this one, on my phone, is Stroke Play Competitions!! & yes I have, especially for the last 6 years, no action elsewhere.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But that was only displayed after you'd answered the quesion so it wasn't going to influence your response.

I made this mistake first time too. It's actually not the end of the survey. There's a button to answer more questions under the cloud.

• Advertisement

Try it again, using a younger age. I tried it at 21 and got a very different survey where I was also asked to supply a word I feel describes my generatation.

The girlfriends have been doing the same survey too and getting a variance of questions too and different options.

What I am hoping is they will display of a different statistic to the same question. Like where it tells me 80% voted yes and it tells my girlfriends that 80% voted no.

Havent found anything that blatant yet. But in general this survey is as suspect as it gets :)

Advertisement