Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever masturbated ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The girlfriends have been doing the same survey too and getting a variance of questions too and different options.

What I am hoping is they will display of a different statistic to the same question. Like where it tells me 80% voted yes and it tells my girlfriends that 80% voted no.

Havent found anything that blatant yet. But in general this survey is as suspect as it gets :)

What I did notice is that on both my attempts, it was the same questions that gave me the statistics after I had answered. Even though the questions came in a different order.

smash wrote: »
    What I did notice is that on both my attempts, it was the same questions that gave me the statistics after I had answered. Even though the questions came in a different order.

So whats your feeling? Is this a test of how answers can be influenced? Or is it a survey that want a particular result?

The latter is more underhand and conspiracy theory of course.

My feeling is the former. I noticed how I was asked the same question three times. Once with a HUGE 50 50 choice. Once with a 5 way choice. And once with a 5 way choice but one of the answers was repeated twice in different but simlar colors.

It really feels to me like this is a survey testing peoples susceptibility to suggestion within surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

smash wrote:
    I made this mistake first time too. It's actually not the end of the survey. There's a button to answer more questions under the cloud.

Nope, I saw that and completed the entire survey in one go.

My point is that the infographic tAHc is referring to only displays after you've answered the question it's relevant to (a one word summation of Gen Y) so it can't influence your answer to that question in the way he seems to be inferring.

The questions in the second part of the survey that follows are also unlikely to be influenced by the infographic, imo, as they're far more about lifestyle than poltics/social issues.

So whats your feeling? Is this a test of how answers can be influenced? Or is it a survey that want a particular result?

The latter is more underhand and conspiracy theory of course.

My feeling is the former. I noticed how I was asked the same question three times. Once with a HUGE 50 50 choice. Once with a 5 way choice. And once with a 5 way choice but one of the answers was repeated twice in different but simlar colors.

It really feels to me like this is a survey testing peoples susceptibility to suggestion within surveys.

It feels like a psychology test if I'm honest. Colour theory is playing too big a part, as is the positioning of answers and placement of statistics.

Still though, better than the census :D

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But that was only displayed after you'd answered the quesion so it wasn't going to influence your response.

Unless you go further. Which I did. And then I found I was periodically asked the same questions again.

I am only guessing - as I suspect you have picked up on - but my feeling is there is a test of influence going on at some level here. This feels less like a survey in and of it self - so much as a survery of internal influence within a survey.

Which - coincidentally enough - is something I have called for a few times in my posts on boards. So I might be undermining my own goals by even pointing this out. Damn my honesty :)

But I have genuinely wanted for a long time a really good study that tests internal influences within studies. Few - if any - have been done. But a really good one would have an internal vocal skeptic too - so I hope I am that :)

• Advertisement

Unless you go further. Which I did. And then I found I was periodically asked the same questions again.

I am only guessing - as I suspect you have picked up on - but my feeling is there is a test of influence going on at some level here. This feels less like a survey in and of it self - so much as a survery of internal influence within a survey.

Which - coincidentally enough - is something I have called for a few times in my posts on boards. So I might be undermining my own goals by even pointing this out. Damn my honesty :)

But I have genuinely wanted for a long time a really good study that tests internal influences within studies. Few - if any - have been done. But a really good one would have an internal vocal skeptic too - so I hope I am that :)

Note "In essence, it is an evolution of Génération Quoi, a large-scale survey conducted in France in 2013 to draw the portrait of the current generation of 18-34 year olds.

Yet the age slider allows you to go well above this, and be very specific too, not just '35 and over'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I noticed the colour thing as well, pale yellow for "bad" answers, which apparently includes not having kids

It showed me a statistic that 48% of people in their mid 30's in Ireland don't believe in divorce. I don't believe that for a second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It showed me a statistic that 48% of people in their mid 30's in Ireland don't believe in divorce. I don't believe that for a second!

48% of those who took the survey. These on-line polls are never representative, but going by how high the response rate was to some other questions that one amazes me.

Jayop wrote: »
    48% of those who took the survey. These on-line polls are never representative, but going by how high the response rate was to some other questions that one amazes me.

Yes, of those who took the survey. I also found it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority believed that Europe was the future and a high percentage would have classified themselves as European over Irish.

• Advertisement

Yes, of those who took the survey. I also found it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority believed that Europe was the future and a high percentage would have classified themselves as European over Irish.

EEEEk I might have been one of those. Partially because of how the question was actually phrased though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Anyone else notice the ticker tape at the top with words from the infographic?

Also, the buttons on some of the questions with only two answers were significantly different sizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

No I've never jerked off.

I've just got decades of spunk backed up in my stretched overinflated beanbag and a red hot trembling perma boner that's set to go off like an overheating boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Akrasia wrote: »
    I once went 10 whole years without sex or masturbating and it didn't even bother me.

Then I turned 11

Ha, reminds me of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You must have been a really ugly child to say nobody would have sex with you. :D

~Frantic search for a cute photo from my childhood to prove you wrong~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm almost blind, that'll tell ya.

Jesus, you're supposed to point it away from your eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

''Here are the words most often used to describe your generation...''

''fuucked''

Advertisement