Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunbathing, Swimming Naked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Believe it or not, it does take place and more often than you might imagine. It's a disgrace that there no officially designated nudist swimming/sunbathing places but if you are discreet the authorities turn a blind eye.

Where would anyone gay, straight or in between ever "sunbathe" in Ireland though anyway?

I haven't saw that kind of sun for 20 years. You are more likely to get windburnt than sunburnt over here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And don't forget, survival time in the North Atlantic is about 20 minutes, so you have to be out before that before serious hypothermia sets in. Of course coming out of the freezing ocean into an overcast, drizzly day with a 12 degree gale-force breeze, you probably wouldn't survive for much longer either.
    So on a typical Irish summer's day, it would be get undressed in the car, run into the Sea, out of that in 10-15 (depending on your tolerance level for serious pain), enjoy the breeze for another 10 and off to the local A&E to be treated for life threatening hypothermia.
    Yes you can be a nudist in Ireland, but it's seriously perilous to your health and not for long stretches at a time.
    Well, of course the weather can be different, so you could have been a nudist in 1994, 2006 and I think there were a few weeks about 3 years ago.
    Any other time you're better off with a wetsuit going into the water and some sturdy, warm clothing that better include a fleece and a North Face jacket. It is difficult if you live on a wind and weather beaten rock in the middle of the North Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Its too cold even to do a bit of streaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Honestly, cross my heart: in a warm week of July or August, the canals in the midlands get near to lukewarm. Little fish and water-lilies. Lovely! I swim au naturel every year. Inch Strand in Kerry is another well-known spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

With the average Irish summer being 12 degrees, rain and a gale that will cut you in two, I prefer a tight fitting hat, fleece, wind and rainproof jacket, jeans and sturdy shoes.
    Going nude is just an invitation to pneumonia here.

What with snowing today, you never know with the irish weather?

Also this springs to mind, if you'll pardon the pun:o

Yeah I was once nude in a Jacuzzi in Prague with 4 beautiful women. We were chatting away and having a great time. I was in heaven until a load of fat middle aged men jumped in. It kind of ruined the fantasy.

:(

Also Jacuzzi's are handy in those situations, when other bubbles are disguised by real one's;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I haven’t been nude swimming in years, but it is a lovely feeling. Very sensual.

here is the difference, to you its sensual, to me, its normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

katemarch wrote: »
    Honestly, cross my heart: in a warm week of July or August, the canals in the midlands get near to lukewarm. Little fish and water-lilies. Lovely! I swim au naturel every year. Inch Strand in Kerry is another well-known spot.

Kate I shudder a little every time I hear of people doing anything in canals.

If these are man-made canals the water sits there until someone opens a lock. Into that water goes lots of stuff, including rats pee.

Rats Pee = Weils disease (which is some nasty sh1t)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I know! I wish I had the [figurative] balls to strip off and lounge around a beach or swim.

I get uncomfortable in communal changing rooms at the gym, its ridiculous. I wouldn't care about anyone else, I suppose those people who have an issue must get that same illogical pang of discomfort when they see someone naked I as do getting naked in the gym changing room.

I'm male and have no problem being naked in the changing room with other men. I do go to somewhere and swim naked but I'm happier if there are only other men there. If I was 22 and looked amazing it would be different, my wife has got used to my body and doesn't object but I'd rather be clothed with other women

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sorry, meant wearing one, as in wrapped around you. But OK, maybe more swimwear, yes. Don't go in there wearing a banana hammock or budgie smuggler. ;)

I hate saunas for all the uncertainty. In one you're expected to be in the nip, the next it's just a towel, another one is women only...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

McGaggs wrote: »
    I hate saunas for all the uncertainty. In one you're expected to be in the nip, the next it's just a towel, another one is women only...

Agree with you there, it's ridiculous, was on a spa break with the missus in Ireland a few months ago, was in the sauna with a towel around my waist, nothing under it, I just open up the towel keeping an eye on the door, lady a bit older approached and came in so I just covered up, another younger couple in their twenties came in, she was wearing a swimsuit & unbelievably he was wearing shorts that streatched below his knees, didn't know whether to laugh or cry

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    . Not on a family beach obviously thought doubt my kids would be too worried.

Just wondering why it would bother you but not your kids?

Kate I shudder a little every time I hear of people doing anything in canals.

If these are man-made canals the water sits there until someone opens a lock. Into that water goes lots of stuff, including rats pee.

Rats Pee = Weils disease (which is some nasty sh1t)

Yes, you have a point about the theoretical possibility of Weil's Disease. Anyplace rats are found; ie, everywhere.
    On the other hand, it doesn't do to get too apprehensive.
    Rivers through cities I would not touch. But me and literally scores of kids have swum in those clean canals, miles from human habitation, over decades, and come to no harm, even with occasional cuts to the feet from the shells of Swan Mussels.
    (I wear old runners for canal swimming. With my favourite costume of Nil, it is an unconventional ensemble) (not when kids are there)

On the evening of a warm summer day, you can swim into the sunset along silver water, pushing ripples forward from your hands, looking into reeds and bulrushes, hearing every "plop" of fish jumping; cuckoos, thrushes. It is glorious, awesome. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Cayden Gifted Font

I live in the Midlands, in a town with a canal. Not for any money would I get into it. Junkies down the canal line throwing needles into it and all, people throwing rubbish into it, rats peeing. And the fact I can't swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

JupiterKid wrote: »

So would you swim and sunbathe in your birthday suit? Do you sleep in the nip?

Jeez... the innocence of it all...

I wonder if he showers naked as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I don't sunbathe as I'm melanin deficient but I do love nudey swimming. It's good for the soul. I don't have a problem with going nude or topless in the right setting either but I have to be really careful because of my skin. Nightswimming in a warm sea is one of the best feelings there is.
    kupus wrote: »
    here is the difference, to you its sensual, to me, its normal.

I also find it a very physically sensual experience. Nothing sexual, it just makes my skin and body feel amazing. If it didn't feel so good I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Something can be normal and sensual. All experiences are sensual at some level.
    Sexuality is just a specific area of sensuality and has nothing to do with naturism for about 95% of those who practice it; on the beaches, in the canals or wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Agree with you there, it's ridiculous, was on a spa break with the missus in Ireland a few months ago, was in the sauna with a towel around my waist, nothing under it, I just open up the towel keeping an eye on the door, lady a bit older approached and came in so I just covered up, another younger couple in their twenties came in, she was wearing a swimsuit & unbelievably he was wearing shorts that streatched below his knees, didn't know whether to laugh or cry

What difference in the world does it make to you what he was wearing in the Sauna? Were you only there for a peek and a possible fiddle?

Kids generally dont give a flying ****, its only that we have through our lives become accustumed to nudity being an oddity.

esforum wrote: »
    What difference in the world does it make to you what he was wearing in the Sauna? Were you only there for a peek and a possible fiddle?

It makes no difference to me, it's just ridiculous, peek & fiddle, how old are you, 12?

Kids generally dont give a flying ****, its only that we have through our lives become accustumed to nudity being an oddity.

Exactly, maybe the kids have it right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I dont think its sensual at all. but on the otherhand the first time I went and I was looking around like a womble wondering what would people think of this pasty assed well hung stud. :pac: I didnt have to worry. No body even cast a glance at me.

I did worry about getting an erection though. But nothing like walking on small sharp pebbles to get that idea out of the main brain as your effing and blinding your way into the water. People started to look then. :D

once you take the sensual and sex stuff out that you maybe thinking of nude beaches... its just people doing what they would do in any other beach in the world.....including barbecuing without any aprons. :eek:

I actually am not sure how to answer that one. Good question.

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    I actually am not sure how to answer that one. Good question.

When I was a kid, on the odd nice sunny day, it wouldn't have been unusual for one of those small inflatable swimming pools to be filled with water & my cousins and I would have had great fun in it, with no clothes, for super excitement, the hose pipe or garden sprinklers would have been turned on, I've done it with my own kids, nieces & nephews also, all aged 3,4,5ish, I wouldn't think that was too unusual, maybe it is. Something happens then, it's all cover yourself up etc, I've been guilty of it myself

Years ago we were on holiday in Majorca, family resort, I'm an early riser so 7am I'd be on the balcony overlooking the pool & Med, having a coffee. There was a German lady & her teenage daughter swimming, seriously swimming, length after length, they got out & two my surprise, swimsuits came off, they dried themselves, got dressed & headed off, the same teenage girl during the day would get out of the pool, whip off the wet bikini & put on a dry one in a matter of seconds

The same summer we were on the beach in Ballybunion, sunny day but breezy, Irish teenage girl was having huge difficulty getting out of her swim suit because she couldn't get undressed, hold the towel covering her & it was flapping in the breeze, she was shrieking with embarrassment & her sister & mother were laughing hysterically & eventually stood up to hold the towel around her so she could get dressed, half the beach was looking at her in amusement, suppose it's another small example of cultural attitudes towards nudity

When I was a kid, on the odd nice sunny day, it wouldn't have been unusual for one of those small inflatable swimming pools to be filled with water & my cousins and I would have had great fun in it, with no clothes, for super excitement, the hose pipe or garden sprinklers would have been turned on, I've done it with my own kids, nieces & nephews also, all aged 3,4,5ish, I wouldn't think that was too unusual, maybe it is. Something happens then, it's all cover yourself up etc, I've been guilty of it myself

Years ago we were on holiday in Majorca, family resort, I'm an early riser so 7am I'd be on the balcony overlooking the pool & Med, having a coffee. There was a German lady & her teenage daughter swimming, seriously swimming, length after length, they got out & two my surprise, swimsuits came off, they dried themselves, got dressed & headed off, the same teenage girl during the day would get out of the pool, whip off the wet bikini & put on a dry one in a matter of seconds

The same summer we were on the beach in Ballybunion, sunny day but breezy, Irish teenage girl was having huge difficulty getting out of her swim suit because she couldn't get undressed, hold the towel covering her & it was flapping in the breeze, she was shrieking with embarrassment & her sister & mother were laughing hysterically & eventually stood up to hold the towel around her so she could get dressed, half the beach was looking at her in amusement, suppose it's another small example of cultural attitudes towards nudity

Ahhh. The old Irish beach towel shuffle. We have all been there. Getting plastered in public and making a tube of yourself.. No problem. But just make sure no one sees a glimpse of your white bum cheek on the beach. That wouldn't do at all.

I try not to be prudish but sometimes I fall short myself.

@kupus
    its just people doing what they would do in any other beach in the world.....including barbecuing without any aprons.

Can't recommend this. Tried it. Now use apron. #spatter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I did worry about getting an erection though. But nothing like walking on small sharp pebbles to get that idea out of the main brain as your effing and blinding your way into the water. People started to look then. :D

Haha I can just imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

When I was at a summer French college years ago, there were communal showers. Now, the French women and continental girls there were absolutely grand with being naked in front of each other but the Irish girls insisted on wearing their swimsuits. The teachers absolutely couldn't understand what was up with us and briefly tried to forbid it but gave up when they realised we weren't taking the piss, we were just honestly that mortified to be naked in front of each other.

Always been that way myself. I'm pretty expert at the totally-covered-getting-changed thing. I know it's silly, I'm quite pro-nakedness, I honestly think that we're waaay too focussed on nakedness as being a sexual thing and inappropriate rather than natural. Yet, it's ingrained into me so hard that for years I'd wrap a towel around myself until I was in the shower and then hang it over the railing once I was in the shower rather than walk around the (empty!) bathroom naked. Actually, I still do that on occasion, but that's more due to cold than shyness.

Are we getting to a stage when the seashore beckons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

nope its actually frowned upon.
    Im a regular to a fkk beach, and its great. NO KIDS. no shouting no screaming. no puke, ****, diapers, trikes, plastic sancastles etc. Just nice and calm. People walking around, swimming around drinking around eating around in a natural environment.

If you havent tried an adult only break, I can highly recommend it.

I am not gay but if I was wondering around a beach naked I would get an instant boner.
    The excitement of walking around with nothing on how could you avoid it?

I am not gay but if I was wondering around a beach naked I would get an instant boner.
    The excitement of walking around with nothing on how could you avoid it?

If you do just turn over on your tummy until it subsides🀒

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

Paulownia wrote: »
    If you do just turn over on your tummy until it subsides🀒

I would be stuck there for half the day.:D

• Advertisement

I would be stuck there for half the day.:D

You only think that, you will get used to being naked very fast

Advertisement