Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbathing, Swimming Naked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Exactly. And anyone who thinks it's in any way sexual should spend 5 minutes watching the over 75's beach volleyball match. Any thoughts like that will be well cured by then.

Something that's alwats amused me: "its full of old ugly people" and "id have an erection all the time" in the same argument...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I headed over to the guy and told him that wearing a towel in the sauna was weird and was making the other users feel uncomfortable. He muttered an apology in a strong Munster accent and skuttled out of their very quickly, glasping the towel around his midsection as he did so.

Bizarre behaviour.

Commenting on other peoples attire in a sauna is bizzare behaviour. Especially since it was clear you were inviting him into a freaky deaky Deutsche sex party when he just wanted 5 mins to sweat it out after his swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Something that's alwats amused me: "its full of old ugly people" and "id have an erection all the time" in the same argument...

Older people tend to have more free time & the older you get maybe you're more comfortable in your own skin & give less of a sh1t what others think
    My dad is over 75, has a few health issues, if I asked him if he'd prefer to be playing nude volleyball on a sunny beach with his peers or doing what he's doing, ID say he'd go for the nude volleyball & if I'm playing nude volleyball at 75, I can think of worse scenarios lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The 2 are mutually exclusive :D

Commenting on other peoples attire in a sauna is bizzare behaviour. Especially since it was clear you were inviting him into a freaky deaky Deutsche sex party when he just wanted 5 mins to sweat it out after his swim.

If you walk into a German sauna with a towel you will be challenged. It would be the equivalent of walking around naked in the gym in Ireland.
    Remember one story of a girl who went naked into the sauna and got a bollocking for not covering up at the bar :D
    Germans will always let you know if you're doing something wrong, it's just like that over there. It's why there are no queue jumpers. because he would be told by everyone in the queue "Hey! Hinten anstellen!"

I find that people in Ireland jump queues, throw litter on the ground, park in disabled spaces and do a million other cnutish things because no one ever says anything, so you are free to do what you like. And if anyone challenges you, you can either laugh it off and walk away or pump yourself up and try to intimidate the other person. Try that in Deutschland, you will be challenged, try to be aggressive, you will get decked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I haven’t been nude swimming in years, but it is a lovely feeling. Very sensual.

On general nudity, my cousin used to get the neighbours knocking on the door complaining about my uncle doing his ironing in the back garden in his nip, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It should be live and let live really. Wherever you are. The posters making comments about ugly people and erections etc are the ones who have never had a naturist experience. It's nothing bizarre or weird in reality. To be ashamed of a particular part of your body and not the rest is the bizarre thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Older people tend to have more free time & the older you get maybe you're more comfortable in your own skin & give less of a sh1t what others thinkl

I wouldnt automatically equate people who don't want to go nude as someone who is uncomfortable in their own skin. I would feel conscious myself going nude in public but it's not because of insecurities but I just don't feel that I would feel the sense of freedom that others feel they get from it.

I just feel personally that being naked is a more intimate thing, perhaps I'm just a more private person (not that others feel that when they go nude) and I don't find clothing makes me feel constricted. Plus there are far too many pretty bikinis and swimsuits that I don't want to let go to waste. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

. To be ashamed of a particular part of your body and not the rest is the bizarre thing.

This, it makes no sense if you think about it logically,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

To be honest: once you have swum in the nude even once, for ever after swimming with clothing on will feel like a bizarre intrusion.
    I frequently swim in the natural, in Ireland, every chance I get.
    Yes, there's a place at Dalkey; In fact there is a beach in every county which is used by local naturists, you just need to ask around discreetly. Lakes, too: there's often a naturist location.
    Inland, the canals are the place, in summer - remote and private, and lovely clean warm water. [you might need to station a sentry, but I've never had a problem]
    -- it is important not to be conspicuous or shock passers-by, or you may attract unwanted attention; from cops, or the prudish, or creepy voyeurs: so keep it all nice and quiet, ok? It isn't officially legal, but as long as you make no fuss, there's no bother
    Textile gongoozlers are the menace of naturism.
    No, its not all gay males and its not about sex: it is just so glorious to feel the fesh air and sunshine on your skin, and the water rippling past. Everyone should do it.

Happy naturist swimming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm a big fan of nude sunbathing and swimming. In NZ I used to visit the local nudist beach quite often. Sometimes saw people I knew there and it was no big deal. When I lived in the Med I used to always sunbathe and swim naked in the backyard.

I don't get to do it as much here in Dublin due to weather unfortunately. The OH knows that when she's booking a sun holiday for us that there needs to be a nudist area at the resort or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

katemarch wrote:
    To be honest: once you have swum in the nude even once, for ever after swimming with clothing on will feel like a bizarre intrusion. I frequently swim in the natural, in Ireland, every chance I get. Yes, there's a place at Dalkey; In fact there is a beach in every county which is used by local naturists, you just need to ask around discreetly. Lakes, too: there's often a naturist location. Inland, the canals are the place, in summer - remote and private, and lovely clean warm water. [you might need to station a sentry, but I've never had a problem] -- it is important not to be conspicuous or shock passers-by, or you may attract unwanted attention; from cops, or the prudish, or creepy voyeurs: so keep it all nice and quiet, ok? It isn't officially legal, but as long as you make no fuss, there's no bother Textile gongoozlers are the menace of naturism. No, its not all gay males and its not about sex: it is just so glorious to feel the fesh air and sunshine on your skin, and the water rippling past. Everyone should do it.

Absolutely. Mutual respect from all is important. I really think being naked in nature is a very healthy thing for body and mind. Normalising it a bit more would be good for society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Where do we stand on streakers?

armaghlad wrote: »
    Where do we stand on streakers?

The bum. With golfshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Wibbs wrote: »
    Personally I'd not be a fan. Fair enough if someone wants to go nudist. Work away, but just not around me, ta very much.

Do you carry a sign with "No nudists around me" on beaches, lakes, in saunas and so on, just in case people might go nude in your vicinity? :D

Have been swimming in the nude in warmer climes, never in Ireland, loved it. It's cold enough with a swimsuit here, never mind nude.

No back garden now but have sunbathed nude in the past. Couldn't care less what the neighbours think if they saw me, not their business.

I don't use saunas here, only a few times with a bikini (silly rule stated they must be worn!) but have done more in Germany and Sweden and I enjoyed the experience. The one in Stuttgart was amazing and there were 'women only' days for anyone who didn't want mixed gender sauna and they also had some mixed gender areas with swimsuit required for anyone who didn't want to go nude so it's not like 'everyone must be nude!!'

The first time I did it nude was in Sweden and I was a little apprehensive (would guys stare??) but it wasn't like that at all and once you see one cock and sweaty testicles beside you, you don't blink an eyelid to seeing any more. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Will you be judged on the nudist beach if you wear Crocs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

It's on a slight tangent but what is it with Irish people and using a sauna? In continental Northern Europe the sauna is part and parcel of a holistic view of health and well-being. It's sociable as well. It's also an activity that is carried out in the nude.

Not so for Patrick and Petula Prude from Ireland. A towel wrapped around the waist like there's something to hide.

I was at a conference last year with 3 colleagues of mine. We were using the sauna in the health suite of the hotel we were staying in and catching up on what we thought of the speeches, discussions and breakout groups during the 1st day of the gathering.

In walks this peevish looking man with a large towel wrapped around him. He shuffles off into a corner; his eyes giving us the occasional fleeting glimpse. You could tell that he was probably from Ireland or the UK. Chicken legs, hairy back, beer belly, towel wrapped around his waist like a deviant.

The whole thing made my colleague, Stefani, feel very uncomfortable and she used a wonderful German saying to indicate that she thought he was 'interfering' with himself. Why else would he wear a towel in a sauna?

I headed over to the guy and told him that wearing a towel in the sauna was weird and was making the other users feel uncomfortable. He muttered an apology in a strong Munster accent and skuttled out of their very quickly, glasping the towel around his midsection as he did so.

Bizarre behaviour.

Didn't believe it until you said Munster :)

If you walk into a German sauna with a towel you will be challenged. It would be the equivalent of walking around naked in the gym in Ireland.

I assume you meant swimwear?

Towels are compulsory (you do know they sit on hot wooden benches, right?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You'll be judged everywhere if you wear Crocs.

Nah - stuff like flip-flops, sunglasses and hats that are essential sun-protenction are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

maudgonner wrote: »
    You'll be judged everywhere if you wear Crocs.

What about crocodile willy warmers? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-average-joe-willy-warmer-characters/slideshow?fullscreen=1&start=28835683

I assume you meant swimwear?

Towels are compulsory (you do know they sit on hot wooden benches, right?!).

Sorry, meant wearing one, as in wrapped around you. But OK, maybe more swimwear, yes. Don't go in there wearing a banana hammock or budgie smuggler. ;)

Sorry, meant wearing one, as in wrapped around you. But OK, maybe more swimwear, yes. Don't go in there wearing a banana hammock or budgie smuggler. ;)

Oh they're fine with it wrapped around. Makes no difference really. It;s the swimwear the'll object too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's exclusively for gay men. Plenty of resorts are. I suppose many gay guys feel more comfortable there. Hanging out with other gay men and checking out each other's bodies. A lot of the lads who hang out at the pool end up back in each others rooms later for you know what.

While I can understand and appreciate why this is so, isn't it discrimination?

Never been to a sauna in Germany but according to a recent Vaughan movie, it is so. Other countries I have been to clothing was very much a requirement in the sauna

and no, my wife married me, she must see me naked, its her cross to bear for children. the rest of society doesnt deserve such pain. She does however go topless and thats fine, little weird when we are at the beach with my parents but such is life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm very heartened and pleased by the responses on this thread. Apparently quite a few Boardsies have enjoyed nudist activities and have an open mind.

I was expecting a lot more prudish, judgemental, negative responses.

Nude swimming is the only way IMO!:)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm very heartened and pleased by the responses on this thread. Apparently quite a few Boardsies have enjoyed nudist activities and have an open mind.

I was expecting a lot more prudish, judgemental, negative responses.

Nude swimming is the only way IMO!:)

I think it's one of those things people enjoy, but probably not talk to their friends about. Or even want their friends finding out about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Oh they're fine with it wrapped around. Makes no difference really. It;s the swimwear the'll object too.

I'm sorry, I forgot how to German. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Nude swimming in Ireland .... Aye right you are OP. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

No problem in particular with nudity. Not on a family beach obviously thought doubt my kids would be too worried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

timthumbni wrote: »
    Nude swimming in Ireland .... Aye right you are OP. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

No problem in particular with nudity. Not on a family beach obviously thought doubt my kids would be too worried.

Believe it or not, it does take place and more often than you might imagine. It's a disgrace that there no officially designated nudist swimming/sunbathing places but if you are discreet the authorities turn a blind eye.

Advertisement