Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

2005 was the last prolonged spell of good weather.
    Sunshine for nearly 3 months,it was the year huge shoals of mackerel came inshore and everyone was out fishing.
    Ray Bans and Oakley were very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The weather NOTHING to do with the high suicide rate in this country. Perhaps mentioning that we living under a corrupt, self-serving establishment might be closer to the mark. Perhaps it would be more apt to mention a culture where alcohol excess is endorsed and celebrated, despite the fact that it destroys more lives, directly and indirectly, than smoking actually does. Or maybe the high suicide rate in the country is due to societal pressures, to live up to standards that cannot ever be achieved in reality. Or maybe it is down to the unspoken rules to conform to a cultural norm that refuses to stretch its bounds outside the limits of soul destroying mediocrity.

The suggest that the high suicide rate is down the Irish climate is both naive and misleading.

I have yet to find a country - and have lived in and visited many - whos residents did not feel like they lived under corrupt establishments.

Also, suicide rates are mentioned here a lot like it is the worse thing

Irelands weather is responsible for bad health in general. Vitamin D deficiency which leads to premature balding in men, premature ageing in general, MS, cancer, age-related mental decline, schizophrenia, and cardiovascular diseases among others.

some actually say that there is a reason why the roman empire never reached Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

haha, yeak I can imagine the sunglass market in Ireland must have been booming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm forever bemused by people who move to Ireland without a clue about the climate. What were you expecting?

one sunny day a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

95 is the best I remember. Peoples lawns were brown.
    Contrast was probably (I think) 2008 when it rained every day in Dublin for something like 60 days. And just to make it more miserable, the next year wasn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

I always put on Brucie when I m feeling low, this one if its the weather causing it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCxqhu9cio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Cienciano wrote: »
    95 is the best I remember. Peoples lawns were brown.
    Contrast was probably (I think) 2008 when it rained every day in Dublin for something like 60 days. And just to make it more miserable, the next year wasn't much better.

It was 2007. The reason I remember was because rihanna's song 'umbrella' was just released on the radio and people were texting radio stations asking them to stop playing it as it rained every single day after that song was released! I also remember buying an around-the-world air ticket at that time and getting the hell out of here for a few months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Could I ask where the OP is from, for a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

armabelle wrote: »
    one sunny day a week

That's not how weather works I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

There's no such thing as bad weather, only a bad choice of clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

hardCopy wrote: »
    There's no such thing as bad weather, only a bad choice of clothing.

I'm not a fan of the constat grey but dry days, much prefer a showery day with bits of blue sky cause I have the right clothes for the rain and access to the rainfall radar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

once we get 1 sunny day and 20C people will declare it a heatwave!.

In general we rarely get above 23C. Last summer some places struggled to get past 18C.

I love sunshine, but I hate heat. 15-18C and sunny is my ideal weather, above 20C and I start whinging.

I had to live in California for 18 months, absolutely hated the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2005 was the last prolonged spell of good weather.
    Sunshine for nearly 3 months,it was the year huge shoals of mackerel came inshore and everyone was out fishing.

I have no clue what you're talking bout haha. 2005 was an extremely dry year here at Grange but it was also very dull - the sixth dullest in my records with only January, May, September and November sunnier than normal. 2010 was the year for me with sunshine, over 1800 hours!

January - the second sunniest on record
    February - well nothing remarkable, just sunny
    March - the fifth sunniest on record
    April - the fourth sunniest on record
    May - the third sunniest on record
    June - the second sunniest on record
    July - the one dull month of 2010, but wasn't remarkably dull (here). In fact it ended up near normal!
    August - the fourth sunniest on record
    September - the third sunniest on record
    October - the sunniest on record
    November - the sunniest on record
    December - the sunniest on record

As you can see, 11 months were sunnier than normal and 3 of them broke the record for their sunniest respective month. I would do anything to have a year like 2010 again! Very sunny, cold, snowy and very dry (my driest year on record).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

the sad part is that I don't know if you are joking or not

Oh I never joke about weather!!! Met Éireann's summaries / bulletins are the proof - though I remember the days off the top of my head!

More examples I remembered

March 11 2014
    April 15 2014
    June 17 2014
    July 1 2014
    September 10 2014
    March 13 2015
    April 7-9 2015
    April 21-23 2015
    September 8 2015
    October 1 2015
    November 1 2015
    February 23 2016
    March 14 2016

That's not how weather works I'm afraid!

Or, that is not how Irish weather works. In most parts of the world you do get one sunny day a week don't you?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh I never joke about weather!!! Met Éireann's summaries / bulletins are the proof - though I remember the days off the top of my head!

More examples I remembered

March 11 2014
    April 15 2014
    June 17 2014
    July 1 2014
    September 10 2014
    March 13 2015
    April 7-9 2015
    April 21-23 2015
    September 8 2015
    October 1 2015
    November 1 2015
    February 23 2016
    March 14 2016

In march there was not one "sunny" day in Dublin... not one!

by the way, are you serious about this list...where did you get this info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

doolox wrote: »
    I did the Leaving Cert in the Summer of '76 and it was a scorcher. Long June days in the 30's and stuck inside all day writing rubbish about Shakespeare, irregular verbs and other rubbish to keep the civil service happy.......

I also recall 1984 as being a good one but 1986 was very wet. Also 1995 was good but 1996 or 97 was also very wet.

The solution is more and longer state exams. They seem to have a positive effect on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Absolutely hate the Irish weather. Dull wet dull cold wet dull, rarely any decent extremes. Impossible to organise anything outdoors more than a few days out even then a risk. Forecasts nearly a waste of time (not having a go at M.E ). Love the country but God its weather can be depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

regi3457 wrote: »
    I have yet to find a country - and have lived in and visited many - whos residents did not feel like they lived under corrupt establishments

Feeling and being are two entirely different concepts. Head on over the the IIEA and see for yourself just how well paid our establishment is compared to other European countries in proportion to population and hours worked.
    Also, suicide rates are mentioned here a lot like it is the worse thing

What? Suicide is a very real and serious problem in this country - especially in rural Ireland. The question is, why would this be. There is clearly something inherently wrong in Irish society that spurs on such extreme measures by people. To dismiss this as not being a big social concern is absolutely absurd
    Irelands weather is responsible for bad health in general. Vitamin D deficiency which leads to premature balding in men, premature ageing in general, MS, cancer, age-related mental decline, schizophrenia, and cardiovascular diseases among others.

Really? you state this as if it this was some sort of fact; when in fact it is nothing but pseudo-science that you pulled right out of your backside.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I know the weather in Ireland is bad but I didn't know it was going to be so bad and being new here (arrived in Jan) I have not seen one whole sunny day except for once about 6 weeks ago when it was cold as hell and it was only one day. Does it get better ever?

Yes the country is full of wind, showers and the occasional beautiful day when the sun is splitting the stones. Be sure when your visiting anywhere in the country you bring an umbrella and rain coat and leggings. A scarf to keep the wind at bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Absolutely hate the Irish weather. Dull wet dull cold wet dull, rarely any decent extremes. Impossible to organise anything outdoors more than a few days out even then a risk. Forecasts nearly a waste of time (not having a go at M.E ). Love the country but God its weather can be depressing.

Some people love our weather but if your a fan of dry days, warm, sunny summers as well as proper thunderstorms and cold winters with snowy spells then it would be hard to find somewhere worse than Ireland.

Warm sunny days, thunderstorms and snow events are rarer than hens teeth in Ireland.

Or, that is not how Irish weather works. In most parts of the world you do get one sunny day a week don't you?

Nope! Weather doesn't operate on some kind of sunshine quota system!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Really? you state this as if it this was some sort of fact; when in fact it is nothing but pseudo-science that you pulled right out of your backside.

I sense you are upset but what regi3457 said is really is true.

Nope! Weather doesn't operate on some kind of sunshine quota system!

yes sure but in most places you could almost certainly expect one day or more of solid sunshine except for the odd week here and there is all I am saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I sense you are upset but it really is true.

I am aware that Vitamin D deficiency, can, in association with other factors, contribute to certain physical symptoms such as osteoporosis and the likes, but I think claims that the lack of Vit D leads to Schizophrenia and other serious mental complaints are dubious at best. Schizophrenia is a largely inherited trait; whereas depression is more often than not a response to external social factors. Baldness? not buying that one at all. This sounds like a commercial gimmick by pharmaceutical companies to sell their products.

Sunshine in Ireland is not as rare as is made out in popular culture in my opinion and I would go so far as to suggest that Vit D deficiency in this country is more down to bad diet than the lack of sunshine. Living in one of the duller parts of the country myself, I can safely say that days with unbroken sunshine on a year by year basis are not that uncommon. Not that frequent either but then we don't live in Mediterranean climate.

Chart from Met Eireann showing average annual sunshine totals over the island of Ireland:

sun01.gif

New Moon

yes sure but in most places you could almost certainly expect one day or more of solid sunshine except for the odd week here and there is all I am saying

And you can in Ireland during the summer too. And there are some parts of the world with significantly worse weather, and some with significantly better. But Irelands weather is and always has been pretty much the same, you can look up the climate averages on Wikipedia, its not a national secret! I always thought most foreign people generally believed Ireland to be a country with very wet weather.

And you can in Ireland during the summer too. And there are some parts of the world with significantly worse weather, and some with significantly better. But Irelands weather is and always has been pretty much the same, you can look up the climate averages on Wikipedia, its not a national secret! I always thought most foreign people generally believed Ireland to be a country with very wet weather.

Ok well that is what I am hoping for in summer. Actually am hoping for more than one day of sunshine a week :)

I did believe that Ireland was a country with generally wet weather but I didn't expect to have 2 days of whole sunshine in nearly 3 and a half months. Wikipedia shows rainfall and general temperatures and doesn't really tell you what my experiences have been thus far. Also, very wet weather for me is weather where you only get one or two days of sunshine a week. 1 or two days of whole sunshine in 3 - 4 months is a whole other level.

Out of interest, in which other important world cities is the weather this bad, or worse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Yes, full sunny days in Ireland are not uncommon.

• Advertisement

Yes, full sunny days in Ireland are not uncommon.

then either it has been a very uncommon year or these "sunny" days happen in may onwards.

Advertisement