Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

14567810»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    No we haven't. A whole sunny day in July = 16 hours of sunshine, there has been no day this month with 16 hours of sunshine at any station. And when we define a whole sunny day in Ireland, we mean not a single cloud anywhere around the country and this is as rare as snowfall, perhaps even rarer.

    Yes I am discovering this but you know, it doesn't have to be completely sunny to be nice. Partly sunny is also nice just so long as it is not completely gloomy


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    armabelle wrote: »
    No we haven't, we had only one Sunday where it was sunny from 11 am through to evening, this was a day I really enjoyed. This was a special day. Can you call it a whole sunny day? No. But it was nice though!

    The only day CLOSE to a whole sunny day in Ireland was the 19th with nearly every station recording at least 10 hours of sunshine, I myself recorded over 14 hours of sunshine - still doesn't qualify as a whole sunny day. And the Sunday that you're probably thinking of was the 17th.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Do you think Monday (August 15th) qualified as a whole sunny day? I don't think so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Do you think Monday (August 15th) qualified as a whole sunny day? I don't think so.

    I would say so sure. It was really lovely. I think it was the only one for a while. Last month there was that one Sunday which was nice but it didn't quite make the whole day.

    It is a bit sad we can't have some more of those in Ireland. One every two weeks would be great for those looking to replenish their vitamin D and get the "Irish" out of their complexions but the reality - if this summer is anything to go by - is that once a month is more or less when you can actually see a sunny day and call it a sunny day


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    armabelle wrote: »
    I would say so sure. It was really lovely. I think it was the only one for a while. Last month there was that one Sunday which was nice but it didn't quite make the whole day.

    It is a bit sad we can't have some more of those in Ireland. One every two weeks would be great for those looking to replenish their vitamin D and get the "Irish" out of their complexions but the reality - if this summer is anything to go by - is that once a month is more or less when you can actually see a sunny day and call it a sunny day

    Well I can give you a bit of optimism which I mentioned in the Summer weather thread before. If this Summer and last Summer were dull, then no doubt that the next will be sunny.

    Also, Summer 2017 will start on a Thursday and normally summers with this calendar are good - 2006, 2000, 1995 and 1989 all had this calendar and they were some of the best summers ever in Ireland (2000 was not though it was quite nice). Last bad Summer with this calendar was way back in 1978. So many could replenish a lot of Vitamin D in Summer 2017 if this pattern continues.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees


    I don't know about "whole" sunny days.

    I think for me the perfect weather is 24 degrees, little puffy clouds and a light breeze.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus


    Spent the last month digging up a garden, trying to get soil to bed down and grass to take root. It's been a battle. Bloody delighted to see that rain yesterday after weeks with practically nothing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    seamus wrote:
    Spent the last month digging up a garden, trying to get soil to bed down and grass to take root. It's been a battle. Bloody delighted to see that rain yesterday after weeks with practically nothing.


    My grass is looking very parched, rain welcome here to


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users


    My grass grow on the swamp. Rain not welcome here to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1


    Jaysus I think we have had one day here in cork (Tues 20 March) of cloudless skies and sunshine since sometime last september 2017. I was buzzing for the day.



    The last two days have been pissing here in cork. Depressing altogether, roll on the summer ffs. Think I read somewhere that it has been the darkest winter in years over northern europe.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Jaysus I think we have had one day here in cork (Tues 20 March) of cloudless skies and sunshine since sometime last september 2017.



    The last two days have been pissing here in cork. Depressing altogether. Think i read somewhere that it has been the darkest winter in years over northern europe.

    For parts of Europe yes. Ireland and the UK were statistically not in that. December was close to average, January was sunny whilst February was very sunny. In fact, in the UK's records back to 1929, it was the second sunniest Winter on record.

    Cork Airport had unbroken sunshine on January 6th and 7th, February 1st, 6th, 13th and 20th. You can see for yourself in Met Éireann's historical data. http://www.met.ie/climate-request/

    But seriously, what the hell was this post of mine back then (no doubt, wow I sound far too cocky)? Summer 2017 had the odd location above average sunshine wise such as Casement Aerodrome but most places were rather dull for the third consecutive Summer. Imagine a fourth consecutive dull one in 2018 - especially with the poor outlooks. :pac:
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well I can give you a bit of optimism which I mentioned in the Summer weather thread before. If this Summer and last Summer were dull, then no doubt that the next will be sunny.

    Also, Summer 2017 will start on a Thursday and normally summers with this calendar are good - 2006, 2000, 1995 and 1989 all had this calendar and they were some of the best summers ever in Ireland (2000 was not though it was quite nice). Last bad Summer with this calendar was way back in 1978. So many could replenish a lot of Vitamin D in Summer 2017 if this pattern continues.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Artane2002


    I had a whole sunny day on Sunday, 25 February this year. Literally not a cloud in the sky all day. March has not been very good for sun at all, but as I said, I'm fine with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    For parts of Europe yes. Ireland and the UK were statistically not in that. December was close to average, January was sunny whilst February was very sunny. In fact, in the UK's records back to 1929, it was the second sunniest Winter on record.

    Cork Airport had unbroken sunshine on January 6th and 7th, February 1st, 6th, 13th and 20th. You can see for yourself in Met reann's historical data. http://www.met.ie/climate-request/

    But seriously, what the hell was this post of mine back then (no doubt, wow I sound far too cocky)? Summer 2017 had the odd location above average sunshine wise such as Casement Aerodrome but most places were rather dull for the third consecutive Summer. Imagine a fourth consecutive dull one in 2018 - especially with the poor outlooks. :pac:


    Excellent! was recently looking for something like this tool to check out the data!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet


    armabelle wrote: »
    I know the weather in Ireland is bad but I didn't know it was going to be so bad and being new here (arrived in Jan) I have not seen one whole sunny day except for once about 6 weeks ago when it was cold as hell and it was only one day. Does it get better ever?

    Yes, yes it does.


  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC


    Yes, yes it does.

    However, you have to wait about 2 and a half years:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick


    Armabelle: Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?
    Irish weather: Hold my beer :cool:


Advertisement