Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

1246710

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    joujoujou wrote: »
    Not so suddenly, and of course not surprisingly either. ;)

    Agree there ^


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl


    I think the weather has been steadily worsening the last 15-20 years. I was in southern Spain a few weeks ago and felt so energized and upbeat by the sun. Came back here and felt instant sluggishness and difficult to be motivated. Seriously considering the move to a warmer climate. Our weather is the pits.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    FalconGirl wrote: »
    I think the weather has been steadily worsening the last 15-20 years. I was in southern Spain a few weeks ago and felt so energized and upbeat by the sun. Came back here and felt instant sluggishness and difficult to be motivated. Seriously considering the move to a warmer climate. Our weather is the pits.

    I disagree. We're being put in a state where significant cold snow events are rarer like how we were before 2008-2010 came! The period 1997-2007 was very snowless here. The only snowfalls I recorded were December 2000, February, March and December 2001, Christmas Day 2004, March 2006, February and March 2007.

    The reason why I loved the snowfall of late November 2010 wasn't just the fact that it was snowfall :p, it was also because it brought very sunny conditions - the 27th and 28th November 2010 were whole sunny days here. So how did it snow with no clouds in the sky? :confused::pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Armabelle check out these sunny months in Ireland and you can spot the "whole sunny days".


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    More months


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    More months for you to look at


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Last ones for you to look at. I hope I have answered your question fully this time!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar


    Sur isn't the OP lucky he is living in Dublin with more dry days than most parts of the country. If the OP lived in Cork City they would need a good pair of wellies and a boat. They don't call it "Rain City" for nothing!


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3


    According to my weatherstation in 2015 we had 266 rain days and 99 dry days, very similar to the crap results at Knock airport.

    You did better than Markee Castle, which recorded just 68 days with less than 0.05 mm (trace) amounts during 2015. Put into percentage terms, this represented just 18.6% of annual days. Knock had even grimmer results, with morbid 62 dry days, or just 17% of year total. Contrast this with the Dublin region, which saw between 38-40% of its days in 2015 being totally dry.

    New Moon



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You did better than Markee Castle, which recorded just 68 days with less than 0.05 mm (trace) amounts during 2015. Put into percentage terms, this represented just 18.6% of annual days. Knock had even grimmer results, with morbid 62 dry days, or just 17% of year total. Contrast this with the Dublin region, which saw between 38-40% of its days in 2015 being totally dry.

    2015 was a crap year though for dry weather! Plus those dry days were recorded in April, June, September and October!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Fiskar wrote: »
    Sur isn't the OP lucky he is living in Dublin with more dry days than most parts of the country. If the OP lived in Cork City they would need a good pair of wellies and a boat. They don't call it "Rain City" for nothing!

    The mad thing though this is that we have gotten HIGHER maximum daily falls than Cork in the past. These dates come to mind

    11 June 1963
    25 August 1986
    11 June 1993
    5/6 November 2000
    20 October 2002
    14 November 2002
    24 October 2011




  • Yes but it was way back nineteen-dickety-two.We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem! Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

    :p

    The summers of 2006, 2013 and 2014 stick out in my mind a featuring lots of brilliant sunny weather, day after day, 2006 having something like 20 days of sunshine in June if I remember correctly! 2012 was very bad I think. I have feint memories of brown grass and idyllically sunny weather, blue skies, in the summer of 1995, but I was very young and it could be an invented memory, but I remember either 1996 or 1997 being very wet and me being annoyed as a child that the summer in Ireland wasn't like the way it was on cartoons based in America :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    :p

    The summers of 2006, 2013 and 2014 stick out in my mind a featuring lots of brilliant sunny weather, day after day, 2006 having something like 20 days of sunshine in June if I remember correctly! 2012 was very bad I think. I have feint memories of brown grass and idyllically sunny weather, blue skies, in the summer of 1995, but I was very young and it could be an invented memory, but I remember either 1996 or 1997 being very wet and me being annoyed as a child that the summer in Ireland wasn't like the way it was on cartoons based in America :D

    It was 1997 that was "very wet" but August 1996 was quite wet whilst the other two months of Summer 1996 were dry especially June which was the driest since 1975. No it's not an invented memory, it's a true fact about 1995. August 1995 was the sunniest, driest and hottest August on record in Ireland. It was also one of the sunniest, driest and hottest months on record in Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Plus those dry days were recorded in April, June, September and October!

    Which just illustrates how crap the rest of the year was in the W & NW.

    New Moon



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles


    Come to the Sunny-South-East ..........you won't be disappointed


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    FalconGirl wrote: »
    I think the weather has been steadily worsening the last 15-20 years. I was in southern Spain a few weeks ago and felt so energized and upbeat by the sun. Came back here and felt instant sluggishness and difficult to be motivated. Seriously considering the move to a warmer climate. Our weather is the pits.

    where did you go in spain? we lived in Malaga for 2 years before moving here. Definitely agree about what you said about the sun though. Makes sense since the sun gives life to all living things


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    seamus wrote: »
    The funny thing is you don't realise when you're having a good run of weather until you're nearly out of it. But if it's been raining for two days, it feels like two weeks.

    It really doesn't rain all that much on the east coast. I cycle to work every day so I'd be more conscious of the weather than a lot of others. There was a period early last Autumn, September to October, where it didn't really rain at all for a good 6 weeks. I never got rained on nor saw wet ground on my travels.

    After that then it pissed pretty solidly for about 4 weeks and we got 4 or 5 five storms in a row. But that was quite exceptional even for Ireland.

    And you probably won't believe me, but the March just gone was way drier than usual, around half the average rainfall for March.

    Like I say, you don't notice it until it's already gone.

    In terms of sunshine, you will see a lot more sunny days come early June. August and September are usually the best months for it.

    It's not only rain or no rain though. The problem in Ireland is the low cloud cover. This stops the vital sunshine getting through and this is what brings me down personally.

    looking forward to June then :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Last ones for you to look at. I hope I have answered your question fully this time!


    What are the numbers on the left of the charts? Hours?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    Come to the Sunny-South-East ..........you won't be disappointed

    post 68 doesn't really show much of a difference in the south east compared to the rest of the east coast... or am I seeing it wrong?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    More months for you to look at


    Do you have more of these? Could I see an entire summers sunshine for a particular year or two?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    armabelle wrote: »
    What are the numbers on the left of the charts? Hours?

    Yes they are


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    armabelle wrote: »
    Do you have more of these? Could I see an entire summers sunshine for a particular year or two?

    I don't have full summers but I can make one or two easily!


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    However, the graph can only consist of one station if it's a full season because others wouldn't fit in. So what station do you want me to do?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    Here's my station's sunshine in Autumn 2010 and Spring 2011.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't have full summers but I can make one or two easily!

    it would be interesting to see how much sunshine there was in a recent spring and summer in those locations because whenever I ask people they have different answers based on their own perception which can vary quite a lot. Merely selecting certain months makes me wonder if they were simply "rarer" months in term of sunshine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    However, the graph can only consist of one station if it's a full season because others wouldn't fit in. So what station do you want me to do?

    dublin?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    armabelle wrote: »
    dublin?

    Here ya go


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here ya go

    that is great.. and it does look sunny in 95... but perhaps that was a strangely sunny summer? I guess the only way to know would be to compare it with preceding or succeeding years


  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here ya go
    That was some August!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen


    sumtings wrote: »
    That was some August!

    Read about it here

    http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1995-Aug.pdf


Advertisement