Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone got their bell lane order yet? Was expecting/hoping it would come today for the weekend but doesn't look likely now :(

Tasted the Bolivian single origin, decent enough, light enough roast, been drinking it from the aeropress. (Well not straight from the aeropress, brewed there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

adrian522 wrote: »
    Tasted the Bolivian single origin, decent enough, light enough roast, been drinking it from the aeropress. (Well not straight from the aeropress, brewed there!)

Still haven't got mine - it must have got lost somewhere along the way :( Will hopefully track it down!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sent by Courier so hard to see how it would get lost!

Just got my Bell Lane order. Contacted them yesterday to enquire about it and it turns out due to the busy-ness with the Feb offer my order had slipped through the cracks :( This was disappointing as it left me short of coffee for the weekend, however they dispatched it the same day I contacted them and it arrived a day later so full marks to their customer service for sorting the problem anyway!

Looking forward to giving it a whirl at the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I just bought a kilo of the European Espresso from Ponaire, excited about trying it!

Do any of you use flasks to keep hot water with you? I have an Ikea one that was doing a good job until I left brewed coffee in it for 2-3 days by accident and it's never lost a funny taste of stagnant water. I wonder would a glass one be better at all?

• Advertisement

I used to use a flask to make coffee to take to work but it was never hot enough after a few hours so I gave up on that.

J_E wrote: »
    I just bought a kilo of the European Espresso from Ponaire, excited about trying it!

Do any of you use flasks to keep hot water with you? I have an Ikea one that was doing a good job until I left brewed coffee in it for 2-3 days by accident and it's never lost a funny taste of stagnant water. I wonder would a glass one be better at all?

That's really good - one of my favourites! Enjoy :)

That's really good - one of my favourites! Enjoy :)
    Great to hear! How could you go wrong at €19 a kilo with free delivery and a glowing testimonial!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

how long would a kg bag stay decent for?

i'd probably go through about 20g coffee on a week day as I'd be in college most of the day, could bump that up to 30-40 on a weekend if I was feeling adventurous too. would it still be good 6 weeks in?

strelok wrote: »
    how long would a kg bag stay decent for?

i'd probably go through about 20g coffee on a week day as I'd be in college most of the day, could bump that up to 30-40 on a weekend if I was feeling adventurous too. would it still be good 6 weeks in?
    I think the general consensus is that you'll get the best coffee up to a month after the roast date. Then it just begins to dull a bit. It's mostly important for espresso, you'll lose the crema and it becomes harder to pull a balanced shot. However, it's interesting to read about aged coffee, which seems to acquire its own flavour in the right conditions! If you're going through 20-30g a day you'll probably have the bag nearly done in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I used to use a flask to make coffee to take to work but it was never hot enough after a few hours so I gave up on that.

The zojirushi flasks are amazing. Coffeeangel started selling them recently.

Unfortunately I had to bin mine as the removable drinking spout picked up the cafiza notes when cleaning it! Still I got around 12mths use out of it.

Recently bought the 1 litre below on Amazon and I'll brew 800ml on the chemex at 7am and it'll still be perfect at 3pm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008F7O3EY

I think that's the main issue with the hot flasks... If the gasket or spout picks up an odour, it's pretty much ruined :(

Wow, the beans arrived from Ponaire the day after I ordered - roasted to order too! I've never had beans so fresh, really delicious coffee :)

Giving the Bell Lane Dragonfly a go this morning - nice, though normally go for something a little stronger. Getting a milk chocolate feel with the hazelnut coming through at the end. Very drinkable :)

Just made my first cold brew, 40g to 500ml water, 11 clicks on the mini-mill (medium to coarse), left for 12 hours. It's like drinking dark chocolate, the flavours are incredible!

Think I'm switching more into just using the Aeropress at the moment over pulling espressos! Right now I'm stuck with a bean-to-cup machine. I can control the grind as I'm using the bypass doser but the tamp is automatic so the shots pulled can sometimes be inconsistent, and I've become super picky about sour/bitter shots, I'll just chuck them straight into the sink. Wasted a whole load of beans as I unscrewed my Mini Mill to clean it and ended up losing the 'special setting', so had to dial it in again! At least with the Aeropress you can't really have a bad cup if you keep everything consistent.

Currently using something along the lines of this recipe, although I reduce the amount of water a bit as that's enough for 2 cups' worth. A bit of steamed milk on top and it's great. It definitely has a more balanced taste the whole way through than the espresso lattes I make which start off sharp but lose their edge near the end.

Any nice beans people are trying at the moment? Cafes around Dublin worth checking recently?

Opened my Bell Lane House Blend last weekend and loving it. Much prefer it to the Dragonfly personally, a bit heavier and richer. Will probably reorder in the near future though the postage does put me off a bit, and I want to try out Rave first I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just cleaned out my gaggia mdf for the first time in a while. Need to do it more often. Considered taking before and after pictures but was too embarrassed when I saw the mess that it had become. It was definately affecting flavours which is why I eventually bothered my backside to take it apart.

Good guide here for anyone considering this. Grindz etc are good but a proper full manual clean is the business.

http://youtu.be/50lkQiAd6pk

Now I can mill into the €40 worth of coffee that arrived during the week from coffee mojo!!

I've just been putting Grindz through my Vario of late rather than cleaning it manually. Must do that at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've only ever cleaned the grinder with Cafiza granules in the year or so I've had it. Does a manual clean make a big difference on top of this?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've only ever cleaned the grinder with Cafiza granules in the year or so I've had it. Does a manual clean make a big difference on top of this?

You mean the grindz yes? , I think it has a yellow label.

Only asking as I have cafiza (with the red label) which is essentially salt as far as I can make out which is used for backflushing machines with a solenoid valve that gets clogged with crap.

Im no expert but I'd recommend manually cleaning both grinder and espresso machine.

Starting with the grinder, I have a gaggia mdf and the link I left to open it and clean it really is child's play and believe me I'm no handyman. The **** that you find if not done on a semi regular basis that grindz just will not clear is not nice to see.
    This should be done on top of the regular cleaning with the likes of grindz though.

Then the machine, I have a gaggia classic.
    The backflushing is again easy as pie as is descaling. Really not a lot to either of them. As far as I'm aware if your machine doesn't have a solenoid valve (some of the newer gaggia classics don't) you don't want to backflush it as it can damage the machine... I could be wrong there so will stand corrected if necessary :-)

You can manual clean it further by removing your group head, shower screen etc ... Just to get that little bit further into the oils and crap that collects over time.

So eh yes I'd definately say a manual clean makes all the difference.

Just my two cents there though.

More on here with waaaaay more knowledge than myself and have been more than helpful down the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

donnacha wrote: »
    Recently bought the 1 litre below on Amazon and I'll brew 800ml on the chemex at 7am and it'll still be perfect at 3pm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008F7O3EY

That's incredible!

That's incredible!
    The vacuum flasks are brilliant nowadays, stuff can still be boiling after half a day. The only problem I have found with keeping coffee in it though is you have to be careful to wash it all out after. I left coffee in mine and it ruined the rubber gasket, never got rid of that smell no matter what I did.

Not specifically coffee related so this thread probably suits.

What descaler do ye all use?

Looking for a citric based descaler like the official gaggia stuff but was really hoping to not have to pay the €15-€20 price tag it commands.

Any suggestions?

Ideally in an actually shop but open to online if necessary or cheaper.

I'll be using it in my Gaggia Classic.

Thanks.

A local store to me sells a DeLonghi eco-friendly descaler, although it's €11 for 2 uses, not the best value. There are places online that sell the solution in a litre bottle online but you have to wait of course.

I use dezcal, got it off ebay cheap enough. Not sure where you'd get it in Dublin though. Coffeeangel have some descalers on their site which I'm sure would also work well.

EDIT: Actually got the Dezcal off amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urnex-Dezcal-Descaler-Powder-sachets/dp/B00RVPP994?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I use dezcal, got it off ebay cheap enough. Not sure where you'd get it in Dublin though. Coffeeangel have some descalers on their site which I'm sure would also work well.

EDIT: Actually got the Dezcal off amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urnex-Dezcal-Descaler-Powder-sachets/dp/B00RVPP994?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I'lol give coffeeangel a try. Didn't think of them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Looking for a citric based descaler like the official gaggia stuff but was really hoping to not have to pay the €15-€20 price tag it commands.

Any suggestions?
    ALDI are selling a citric acid descaler this week in packs of 5 sachets. It's a powder, so there's a little bit more faffing about, but not too much for those really intent on getting value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm considering buying the delonghi ec820b and just wondering if that's a good choice? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The best coffee I have had is insomnia in custom house quay.

I can't get one to suit my tast elsewhere. Even there two o their shops down the road aren't as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Not specifically coffee related so this thread probably suits.

What descaler do ye all use?

Any suggestions?

Ideally in an actually shop but open to online if necessary or cheaper.

I'll be using it in my Gaggia Classic.

Thanks.
    Currys descaler
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/ecozone-coffee-machine-cleaner-and-descaler-500-ml/325154/396.3.5

Advertisement