Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eight years ago, my life changed because of drugs. My story.

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fair play for opening up about it. I never did acid, but did a lot of others. A friend of a friend was a fiend for it. Took a bad one with a gang one night, has a funny speech impediment now and can't feed himself. All that were with him that night can't believe what happened, it could have happened to any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

What other drugs are there???

Christ's love but you're not invited.

*you are though*

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PancakeJOE

He took LSD ffs. It's not remotely addictive.

OP needs a good doctor and a therapist or psychiatrist if necessary, not AA's unique brand of quackery and pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo.

True,

'Research shows that most LSD users voluntarily discontinue or decrease use over time. So medical professionals don’t believe it’s possible to become addicted to acid. There is little information on the frequent, repeated use of the drug because such use is extremely rare. No withdrawal effects have been noted upon cessation of LSD dosing. However, tolerance to LSD can eventually develop, leading to riskier behaviors and higher doses.'

He took acid for 3 years with other drugs he obviously would of gained psychological dependency on these drugs. ie 'i really really really like it and want more' just because hes not physically addicted doesnt mean the drugs are not a problem some people destroy their lives being addicted to sex or gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Thank you for sharing your story. I have just put my children to bed and I read this, I am thinking to myself, how the hell I am going to watch them when they are older.

I remember years ago listening to Gerry Ryan and the drugged up housewifes of Ireland. There were so many women who called in or left messages who were addicted to medication given by doctors or over the counter. There was one women, sounded like a normal women with a family who could not get through her day without 24 neurofen. She was one of many. I wonder is it any different now in Ireland ?

It is worth pointing out, even if its unlikely to be popular, that generalisations such as 'my life changed because of drugs' and 'the head shop stuff was nuts' are not conducive to an intelligent debate or the formulation of informed and effective public policy.
    It needs to be said because stories like the OP's and some from others on this thread are regularly, and sadly effectively, trotted out to justify prohibition and Government negligence in this regard. These stories are consequence of such a policy and not a reason to embrace it further.

Erm, what's far less helpful to intelligent debate are assumptions.

I said the head shop stuff was nuts, from my experience. But I was and am completely against prohibition and the decision to shut then, as if they were somehow at the root of society's problems. It was a decision fuelled by hysteria on Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The head shop stuff was absolutely ridiculous. Mephedrone absolutely ravaged alot of people I know. Still aren't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You spent three years on acid and you blame your personality change on one night on a legal high?
    The effects of common drugs are well known. The effects of combinations of drugs are less well known, in particular for less common drugs. The effects of combinations of drugs on particular individuals can be difficult to predict.

For example, the effects of alcohol are well known, but there is huge variation in the effect of alcohol on each individual - some people are happy drunks while other are angry drunks. The effects of pain killers are well known amongst medical professionals, while lay people are inclined to abuse them. Mixing alcohol with pain killers is a dangerous combination, as the alcohol will occupy the brain receptors that the pain killers would otherwise use. Potentially the effect of the pain killers is lost when people take the alcohol and kick in again as the alcohol wears off, resulting in highs and lows that can result in erratic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Thinly veiled I can't handle my acid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A grim story - I'm very sorry OP - thanks for sharing :( Its good to remember again to be scared of things from time to time - especially as a (bored) adult when so much is accessible.

There is a frightening series of documentaries on opuate addictions & MDMA addictions on documentaryheaven.com - it would frighten the underwear off you. There is a particularly grim series of Ads doing rhe rounds on youtube - meth - not even once - its not acid but everyone involved says once you start unless you are the one in ten thousand you will be destroyed by it - God knows what are in most of these drugs - people are playing russian roulette with their brainfunction. At least you are still here & functioning & coherent - can you hold down a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Your own choice, your own fault.

No sympathy here.

Lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I've abused drugs for years,I've seen friends lose their minds after doing E's and were never right after it,others are still at it with no noticeable effects,however the drug that knocked me for six was alcohol,I'm actually afraid of the power of the bottle after my last stint.

I took drugs for years every weekend without fail, Mainly E's and speed along with lots of booze. Then i decided to give up the drugs and go back to they way i drank before i started the drugs. It was a farce. My drinking had gone crazy and in reality was being tempered a little by the drugs. I had to give everything up a couple of years after. Drink when it gets hold of you is a brute.

If someone gave me an E now it wouldn't be a big deal or a line of speed or a smoke of weed. But if someone give me a drink i would fear for my life. I just don't know where it would take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

That's pretty full on. How's things now?[/QUOTE]

I don't take drugs anymore and definitely don't need them to release serotonin. I do have a couple of bold spots though and marks on my skin where the pigment went... have to keep them out of the sun.
    A good reminder not to mess up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Letree wrote: »
    I took drugs for years every weekend without fail, Mainly E's and speed along with lots of booze. Then i decided to give up the drugs and go back to they way i drank before i started the drugs. It was a farce. My drinking had gone crazy and in reality was being tempered a little by the drugs. I had to give everything up a couple of years after. Drink when it gets hold of you is a brute.

If someone gave me an E now it wouldn't be a big deal or a line of speed or a smoke of weed. But if someone give me a drink i would fear for my life. I just don't know where it would take me.

“First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.”

......and that's normally the way it plays out.I still go too bars occasionally and sit and look at people downing alcohol and think these people really don't know,until if they are unfortunate enough to cross that invisible line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

OP, sorry to hear. I know how ****ty it is.

I'd a similar experience over 20 years ago. Luckily I went back to normal after about a year.

Kids, if you're gonna do drugs educate yourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

A similar story as to my brother. He was travelling europe and ended up in london 2 days after he took a double-dip hoffmans acid tab, that messed him up for quite some time thereafter, started hearing voices as well and wasn't himself for a few years. He's back to his normal self now though, but that was a close call for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

He took LSD ffs. It's not remotely addictive.

OP needs a good doctor and a therapist or psychiatrist if necessary, not AA's unique brand of quackery and pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo.

While I don't think it's the solution for the OP, AA has kept me sober for two years, one day at a time. Aside from not taking a drink, going to the meetings and following the programme has allowed me to learn a lot about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

tl;dr version: op took drugs, didn't end up well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Hope your head comes right OP.

I had some of the funniest times in my life on acid as a youngster.
    I also had a few odd eperiences aswell.
    Got my nose broken in a fight while tripping and ended up in hospital.The foreign doctor was trying to straighten my crooked nose while I was in convulsions of laughter at the head on him.
    Fcukin smarted when I came down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I really hope you begin to feel yourself again OP :(

Yeah acid can be great, but I found once you've had a really bad trip there's no going back. I'd had a few dodgy ones but one in particular ended my dabbling for good.

I was a young wan at the time when I took one on holidays in Rome. The night started out alright, but when we went to the nightclub area there was awful hostility towards myself and my boyfriend and our group of friends because the locals thought we were British. We even had a bouncer advise us not to enter a nightclub because of it. We did anyway, because we thought ah twill be grand like, but it wasn't.

Anyway, we didn't hang around too long there because it was not a good idea and on our way to get a taxi back to our hotel we saw a young man getting an awful hiding (I mean really upsetting to watch anyway but made worse by acid). One of the men involved stuck something sharp into my thigh as we were passing the fight and what started as good night for me quickly turned awful.

Whatever it was it left a mark on my leg and when I checked it back at the hotel I became convinced I was stabbed with a needle. I worked myself into such a state that I ended up in an A&E completely distraught but still laughing away (that's acid for you). The doctor, who just happened to be the spit of Egon from Ghostbusters just to make things more surreal, eventually calmed me down and sent me on my way with a letter to get an injection the next day at an AIDS clinic in the centre of Rome.

Acid is one hell of a drug really and definitely not one to be taken regularly. The even stranger thing about a strong tab is you can never be sure what actually happened and what was tripping :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

OP, sorry to hear. I know how ****ty it is.

I'd a similar experience over 20 years ago. Luckily I went back to normal after about a year.

Kids, if you're gonna do drugs educate yourselves!

Maybe if people stopped feeling sorry for people who do drugs there might be a stigma attached for doing them?

Why should OP, who is an adult, who partakes in an illegal activity and suffers the consequences that he knew were possible before he did it receive sympathy?

I have 0 respect for people who do drugs.

This thread is full of people saying "Sorry to hear OP" and all this crap.

Sure why not do drugs? If it goes well then you've had a great buzz and if it goes bad then you're just a poor victim..Makes me sick tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Maybe if people stopped feeling sorry for people who do drugs there might be a stigma attached for doing them?

Why should OP, who is an adult, who partakes in an illegal activity and suffers the consequences that he knew were possible before he did it receive sympathy?

I'd say you're the life of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

PancakeJOE wrote: »
    OP your personality will never return the same way,You fried it,This part of your life is about building a new persona,Full of anxiety and veiled confidence the options are join AA and spend you life personal life comfortable with similar people in the same position terribly boring and almost devout choice,Go back on drugs or bite the bullet and start a new,Any time you begin to build up new friendships explain that you were an addict otherwise you will feel like you are hiding a dirty secret and im sure a dirty past as id be amazed if you managed to survive years on drugs without making terrible choices along the way.

Best of luck.

This is the funniest post i have ever read on Boards.

I don't understand how anyone can be so pious.

If you drink, you partake of a harmful mind-altering drug. It happens to be legal, not because it is safe, but for historic cultural reasons, and because it brings in a ****load in taxes. Your choice of drug is no better than any other just because it's legal.

I presume you've never done anything illegal in your life?

The OP isn't looking for sympathy, he's made that clear. Yes, he was an adult - a 19 year old. People make bad decisions at all ages, but I think being so judgemental of someone for something that happened eight years ago is totally unhelpful...

I'd say you're the life of the party.

I forgot it was impossible to have fun without illegal substances that wrecks families all over the country.

I don't understand how anyone can be so pious.

If you drink, you partake of a harmful mind-altering drug. It happens to be legal, not because it is safe, but for historic cultural reasons, and because it brings in a ****load in taxes. Your choice of drug is no better than any other just because it's legal.

I presume you've never done anything illegal in your life?

The OP isn't looking for sympathy, he's made that clear. Yes, he was an adult - a 19 year old. People make bad decisions at all ages, but I think being so judgemental of someone for something that happened eight years ago is totally unhelpful...

Nothing illegal that has the potential to kill me, and has the potential to put strain on my family or friends no. Or anything that fuels the killing of innocent people on our streets no.

Do you feel sorry for a murder who in a moment of rage killed someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was in a young wan at the time when I took one on holidays in Rome......

Oh matron!

Nothing illegal that has the potential to kill me, and has the potential to put strain on my family or friends no. Or anything that fuels the killing of innocent people on our streets no.

I don't think those two situations are remotely comparable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I feel like I've missed out. I've no experience of anything fun mentioned in this thread. I was always big into the party scene but never really touched anything back then, no E, no acid, no speed.

To be fair to the op, I think he was giving a warning and not saying that his experience should be mimicked.

I wouldn't be inclined to disagree with you overall. Why risk it like?

I do know of people, as I'm sure you do, who've murdered a member or for that matter their entire family, while under the influence of prescribed medication from their GP.

I also, as I'm sure you do too, know folks who've murdered due to their fragile mental condition at the time.

Airing on the side of caution is most definitely the best advice when it comes to taking anything really, but in reality it's just not going to happen like that now is it?

• Advertisement

I feel like I've missed out. I've no experience of anything fun mentioned in this thread. I was always big into the party scene but never really touched anything back then, no E, no acid, no speed.

Ah you haven't really ;)

Advertisement