Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    "13 March 2016 19:02

Today
    Dry and rather cold tonight with clear periods, especially in the south and east, elsewhere will stay rather cloudy. Lowest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees, coldest where skies clear and a slight or sharp grass frost may develop then. Some fog forming also, especially early in the night.

Tomorrow

Dry again tomorrow, generally bright, with sunny spells developing. There will be a light or moderate easterly breeze which will keep it cool in eastern and southern areas with temperatures of about 9 or 10 degrees, milder elsewhere with temperatures of 12 or 13 degrees in the afternoon.

Outlook

Tuesday to Friday: High pressure will continue to remain fixed in the North Sea, extending a ridge across Ireland. The weather will stay settled in easterly winds, which will be mostly moderate in strength. Highest temperatures during the day will be generally in the range 10 to 12 /13 degrees, and will peak on Wednesday around 14 or 15 degrees over Connacht and west Munster. However eastern coastal counties of Leinster and south-Munster will be a few degrees colder due to the onshore wind.

Next Weekend: Little change."

Thats the Met Eireann forecast, looks promising, especially for my location. Never have I seen such a short forecast from RTE.

Well the weather is very benign and much the same throughout which I adore here, so don't expect long forecasts!

so it looks like an extended dry spell which I think will come as good news to almost everybody. Models continue to toy with the idea of a colder spell once this high either drifts far enough west or just collapses to leave a vacuum to be exploited by what is slowly developing far to the north and northeast, a large pool of very cold air that could take a run at Scandinavia in about a week from now, then in a second wave could show up over Britain and Ireland -- some maps out recently would suggest temperatures not far above freezing by day and well below freezing at night if this were to materialize (and after the bland pattern most of this winter once we got past the record warmth of December, a colder turn makes sense as blocking seems to be on the increase).

If this were a month ago, someone would no doubt have highlighted this piece of his forecast already. I doubt if it anything that cold will come to pass, however, a cold start to April is likely the way things are headed

I'm expecting a cold April - month overall and maybe even exceptionally cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm expecting a cold April - month overall and maybe even exceptionally cold.

It would be interesting if it was a record breaking month. What is the lowest mean temperature for April ever recorded?

It would be interesting if it was a record breaking month. What is the lowest mean temperature for April ever recorded?

I don't know but I'm guessing the most recent coldest April was either 1986 or 1989.

I have seen these records broken in recent times (2000 - 2016 in my definition) at Grange

*Wettest May on record (2015)
    *Wettest March on record (2008)
    *Wettest April on record (2012)
    *Sunniest March on record (2003)
    *Sunniest May on record (2000)
    *Sunniest April on record (2015)
    *Warmest May on record (2008)
    *Warmest March on record (2012)
    *Warmest April on record (2011)
    *Coldest March on record (2013)

The two records I haven't seen in recent times are my coldest April and coldest May...... in which 1989 still holds the record to this day for April and 1996 still holds the record to this day for May.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

How cold did the temperature go during those cold April's ?

How cold did the temperature go during those cold April's ?

Mean deviations (differences) of average

1986: -2.4c below the LTA (no warmer than an average March)
    1989: -1.5c below the LTA

And after researching, it looks like April 1986 is Ireland's official coldest April on record. It included the coldest Easter on record (Easter Monday) before being broken on Easter Sunday in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

image.jpg.65bfe54f1c707f7ab77bdad6ebfcba7b.jpg

I wonder this that lead to a very cold April in 1901. Speaking of April, one of the most severe snow events in Ireland happened in April 1917.

"An even more severe snow storm struck on the 1st April 1917. Many places were cut off for several days. Snow lay to an estimated depth of 1.3 m with drifts of 3.0 m. In 1917 falls in Ireland, at least in the south and west, were the heaviest since February, 1892, and probably the heaviest in the whole 50 years (back to 1876)."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Thanks,I think I remember snow in April during the early 80's
    Lasted a few days....

Ah yes those smoggy crispy frosty Autumnal and Winter evenings in urban areas during the 80's,lasting into early Spring....

A distant memory but memorable all the same.

Thanks,I think I remember snow in April during the early 80's
    Lasted a few days....

Ah yes those smoggy crispy frosty Autumnal and Winter evenings in urban areas during the 80's,lasting into early Spring....

A distant memory but memorable all the same.

If you say early 80s, then you might be thinking of 1983. Only April 1983, 86 and 89 were particularly cold during the 80s. Mad fact here is that each are separated by 3 years :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Oh wait....

April 1983, 86 and 89 were all cold.
    April 1993, 96 and 99 were all mild.
    April 2003, 06 and 09 were all mild.
    April 2013 was cold and 2016 is expected to be cold.

^ I sense a pattern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I don't know but I'm guessing the most recent coldest April was either 1986 or 1989.

It would be hard to beat April 1975.

It would be hard to beat April 1975.

What was the mean deviation of average temperature for that April?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Satellite cloud cover looks like it's blue Sky's all round this morning,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Temperatures won't go much above 9C here all week, but still feeling very spring like in the sun...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stunning day here (in Dublin 16). Clear blue skies. 10.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Taking inspiration from Rooy in the winter thread almost a month ago...

Today almost the inverse of yesterday!

Today

VyGwK6k.jpg

yesterday

pslbH9K.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Clear blue skies from dawn to dusk, top temp of 13.1C , cooling down rapid now, 6.5C atm.

Large long line of gorse fire to be seen on the mountains tonight near Tralee ( about 14 km from here ). It was the fear that the fires would be lit during the dry spell ( even though it is past the closing date of 1st March for fires ) as it has been too wet up untill now. Hopefully wont effect too many nesting birds or other forms of wildlife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

What was the mean deviation of average temperature for that April?

Dunno.

Just going from memory ;)

It looks like low pressure might start to push into the east of the UK in the middle of next week but it still looks like Ireland will still remain dry for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Absolutely loving this spell of settled weather. So nice not to be constantly slapped around by the wind and the cold.

I washed my car on Saturday and its now covered in a fine layer of dust. Given the large high pressure system we're currently in stretches well into southern Europen, any chance this would be the Saharan dust we got a coating of several years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny
    Dry and sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's chilly enough here in West Cork. Overcast with a cold breeze. It's making me quite miserable, the only good point is that the ground is drying a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm out of the country this week. Just wondering with the low double digit figure temperatures are there people walking about in shorts and t-shirts yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This is probably our summer like what happened last year :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I'm out of the country this week. Just wondering with the low double digit figure temperatures are there people walking about in shorts and t-shirts yet?
    There is but mostly lads out working, there's an unreal amount of painting going on!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From 30K feet....looked like a fine day in Belmullet/on the Belmullet Peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Yep I was and I got a bit of sun burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yep I was and I got a bit of sun burn.

Really?

What are you like in July?!?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Really?

What are you like in July?!?

I got sunburned on April 9th last year :D

Advertisement