Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The officer who spoke back to Catherine said 'you have to take what they say with a pinch of salt' because the victim was a prostitute. It was a dismissive, 'feck off, don't waste our time' attitude. I'd call a refusal to listen a lack of empathy, regardless of procedures. I'm sure this is not an uncommon belief, which is part of why this scene was included.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Lisha wrote: »
    I downloaded Netflix especially to see happy valley and I can't find it on it.

It's on the US version and a few others. Not on the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It's on the US version and a few others. Not on the Irish one.

Thanks...... (I feel spectacularly thick now :; )

When that smug little prick John was driving along all joyous I really wanted him to get hit by a giant truck !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Catherine: "(referring to Scaletrix) You'll play with it!"
    Ryan: "I shan't!"

How old is Ryan?!? :D

• Advertisement

Heart breaking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That opening scene...maybe Catherine saved her vomit for when she paid for the Scaletrix. :pac: Catherine and Ryan are as bad as each other, at times. It's a credit to the young fella playing him that he's not an annoying little bollix. Not sure how much Anne will feature next week, or if she'll unravel further...

John, seriously dick move going around and arguing with your wife that way in front of the kids.

Charging Sean on largely circumstantial evidence definitely felt a bit thin, but in a way, the thinness transferred to other elements in the episode, not being critical, just so many little connections that dangle by a thread.

In Psycholand, Frances appeared to be preparing some sort of device(?) on behalf of the local branch of Halifax Al Qaeda. At least Daniel is there to counter her BS. :mad:

Daryl's "I've done things...", perhaps one of the more intimate and chilling confessions on our screens in quite a while. :( No music with the end credits too.

Neil :rolleyes: Catherine's take down of him was quality, including the dog pee line. :D

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to drive a Skoda and sleep in the conservatory. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then does Daryl's mum tell the police some story or will she top herself? Has she in fact killed herself tonight, remember while we saw her pointing the gun in one direction we didn't see the moment. Only heard it outside.

Basq wrote: »
    Catherine: "(referring to Scaletrix) You'll play with it!"
    Ryan: "I shan't!"

How old is Ryan?!? :D

That was a real Gandalf: You shall not pass! moment. :pac:

So then does Daryl's mum tell the police some story or will she top herself? Has she in fact killed herself tonight, remember while we saw her pointing the gun in one direction we didn't see the moment. Only heard it outside.

No, I reckon she's definitely killed the son. She knows she can't cover up for him but she couldn't stand to see him go to prison. Pretty heartbreaking choice there. Whether or not she's killed herself too though, we shall see.

Poor little Ryan :( Funny he's smart enough to ask the questions about him mum and dad but because he wants to know his dad he's not asking questions about why the teacher is so interested. The address on his envelope was so sad too, poor mite.

I have a horrible feeling that Neil is going to come under suspicion for Vicky's murder once they realise it's not the same person as killed the other women.

Anne and Daniel... do I smell a romance?

I didn't really know if a second series was necessary but now that it's nearly over I almost want there to be a third series, maybe just of all the nice people being happy... no?

• Advertisement

Do you ever notice how long some of the scenes are on this show?

Something I hated about Downton Abbey was how quickly they got through scenes. Nobody ever said anything other than what was required to move the story along. When I noticed it on Downton I started noticing it on other shows too. It seems to stand out on Happy Valley that they take time with characters and their conversations. The scene with Daniel and Anne tonight, for example, must have been at least 2-3 minutes, if not more. I know that doesn't sound very long but compare it to some other shows and see how scene length compares. The longer scenes really draw you in. Maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

One thing thats unreaistic is hill billys like Daryl and his ma would never live in a farmhouse like that ,that would have been built as a farmhouse with maybe three labourers cottages attached later converted into one big house worth maybe a million euros just for the house, farm land extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Fantastic episode but once again Shirley Henderson was atrocious. How the hell did she ever get any acting job. That accent she has does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

gazzer wrote: »
    Fantastic episode but once again Shirley Henderson was atrocious. How the hell did she ever get any acting job. That accent she has does my head in.
    Holy jesus she's 50 years old. :eek: Wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lisha wrote: »
    When that smug little prick John was driving along all joyous I really wanted him to get hit by a giant truck !

I think that this show is very over-rated.

I guess that it gets more hype as it's on a popular channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought John sweeping through the front door to confront his wife was a highlight of the entire series so far, sure he's a killer but the way he took control was also killer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That Toyshop is cleaning up on the Scalextric sets. You could get 3 sets on Amazon for £149.99

And you wouldn't leave a trail of pesky CCTV coverage behind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

glasso wrote: »
    I guess that it gets more hype as it's on a popular channel.
    Y'know it's possible we all really like it because we think it's excellent and we couldn't care less where it aired?

ixoy wrote: »
    Y'know it's possible we all really like it because we think it's excellent and we couldn't care less where it aired?

grand - people are allowed to like and disiike different tv shows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Can someone pm me the gist of last series mainly what happened to Anne and Catherines daughter, how she died and what he did to the child. How come the child was with Tommy etc. [Catherine said to child when losing the head over the present that he set fire to him or something??].
    I probably won't get to watch it at this stage and once this series is over I'm unlikely to go back (not enough hours in my evening for all the tv I want to watch!)

Aimeee wrote: »
    Can someone pm me the gist of last series mainly what happened to Anne and Catherines daughter, how she died and what he did to the child. How come the child was with Tommy etc. [Catherine said to child when losing the head over the present that he set fire to him or something??].
    I probably won't get to watch it at this stage and once this series is over I'm unlikely to go back (not enough hours in my evening for all the tv I want to watch!)

On it....

I sent a big long PM there but it's not showing up in my sent messages ... did it send?

Thanks a million TickleMeElmo. That's fantastic. Going to have a good read of that now. Cup of tea needed for it so I can enjoy. Thanks so much for going to all that trouble. I might be back with questions. ðŸ˜႒

Thanks a million TickleMeElmo. That's fantastic. Going to have a good read of that now. Cup of tea needed for it so I can enjoy. Thanks so much for going to all that trouble. I might be back with questions. ðŸ˜႒

If you ever get the time it is really worth watching. Even if you know what happens it's a fantastic bit of television.

If you ever get the time it is really worth watching. Even if you know what happens it's a fantastic bit of television.

Ok that's excellent synopsis TickleMeElmo. Thanks again. Was there any significance of the police officer who got hit by car? Also was DowntonAbbey guy & family in last series at all? Sorry I'm so bad at recalling names, most annoying!
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for a repeat showing on all the channels as usually they eventually come round again. I would love to see it. James Norton is pretty good actor, great strong features too. Saw him in War&Peace.
    Sarah Lancashire is a superb actress imo.
    Nothing happy happens in Happy Valley it seems!

Ok that's excellent synopsis TickleMeElmo. Thanks again. Was there any significance of the police officer who got hit by car? Also was DowntonAbbey guy & family in last series at all? Sorry I'm so bad at recalling names, most annoying!

The police officer was just one of Catherine's officers. Her and Catherine had a row about something before she died and Catherine felt bad about it after but other than that no. She's one of the murders Tommy is in prison for.

Downton Abbey guy wasn't in it last year, neither was any of the murder investigation team. I think I forgot to mention too that Catherine used to be on the murder team or was a detective, not in uniform anyway. I think she went off the rails a bit and when she went back to work it was in uniform.

Poor Alison

Ya won't be singing now John ya priick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ouch.

Advertisement