Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm raging I'm working tomorrow night!! I'm really looking forward to happy valley.

I don't have sky so I can't record it.

I don't have a laptop just iPhone and wireless internet.

What is the easiest and legal way to see this. I use the 4 app to catch up on c4/e4 programs. Is there a bbc equivalent?

I've tried googling but with limited success.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm raging I'm working tomorrow night!! I'm really looking forward to happy valley.

I don't have sky so I can't record it.

I don't have a laptop just iPhone and wireless internet.

What is the easiest and legal way to see this. I use the 4 app to catch up on c4/e4 programs. Is there a bbc equivalent?

I've tried googling but with limited success.

BBC iPlayer, but it's Geoblocked, have to be in the UK to watch it.

Do you not have a TV service of any kind? I thought they all recorded at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good to see the excellent Shirley Henderson is in the second series.

Basq wrote: »
    Good to see the excellent Shirley Henderson is in the second series.

I can't stand her! Her voice is like nails on a blackboard.

Katherine Kelly (former Corrie), Hayley from Corrie and Mosely from Downton are all in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

BBC iPlayer, but it's Geoblocked, have to be in the UK to watch it.

Do you not have a TV service of any kind? I thought they all recorded at this stage.

I figured it was geo blocked
    I've the channels using free to air. It can record to a stick but I won't be there and I've never figured out the recording any way.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

One assumes Tommy Lee Royce will appear in visions, flashbacks or dreams which can be just as terrifying as having them in person (see Mick in This is England series).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I forget exactly how the first series ended. Looking forward to the new episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Really enjoyed that episode, a few interesting storylines, and good to see the one out if Intermission without the Ronnie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Now, that was a seriously impressive return. Credits where it's due. Firstly, the sheep situation :pac: was some levity before the main event kicked off. Catherine kicks serious arse in a uniform. That's a given.

They retained some existing elements and launched a bunch of new threads without it seeming scattered. The Gallaghers, Anne now
    a PCSO. Her father who sacked the bloke, potential future heart attack for him, methinks.
    That detective/CID bloke - seriously what a feckin eejit and his manipulative headcase. Rain Woman at the end...

A child character asking about alcoholism - good to hear that.

Oh, and the whole
    detective being drugged/waking up naked
    I was preparing myself for them to punch the viewer in the face, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I have never seen this show before until tonight, so I haven't a clue about the other series and trying to figure out who is who,and its not bad.Seems to be a few of former corrie actors in it but sure what harm.

.....and Charlie Murphy of Rebellion and love/hate too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Great first episode!

• jimmyw wrote: »
    I have never seen this show before until tonight, so I haven't a clue about the other series and trying to figure out who is who,and its not bad.Seems to be a few of former corrie actors in it but sure what harm.

.....and Charlie Murphy of Rebellion and love/hate too.

She was in The Last Kingdom too,which finished its run in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I loved last nights ep. Loads of little threads dangling around. I wonder if
    the inspector who is being blackmailed will kill his ex mistress and try pin it on the somebody else

Only downside was bloody Shirley Henderson. How the hell does she get acting roles? Her voice is so bloody annoying.

gazzer wrote: »
    I loved last nights ep. Loads of little threads dangling around. I wonder if
    the inspector who is being blackmailed will kill his ex mistress and try pin it on the somebody else

Not sure about that. He seems a bit weak - not the writing for the character or his size, but pushed around easily, though it's obviously an extreme situation and early days yet...

gazzer wrote: »
    Only downside was bloody Shirley Henderson. How the hell does she get acting roles? Her voice is so bloody annoying.

I bloody hate her and it almost seems like very lazy casting given the kind of weirdo she's playing. I assume she's one of these people who writes to creeps in jail and becomes obsessed. Would have been a more interesting choice to go with someone less obviously... weird, for want of a better word.

That aside a very strong return, I thought. Last series it took a while for the different threads to come together so I'm sure the sheep and the jilted lover and all of that will become better tied into the story as the episodes go by.

Good to see Charlie Murphy's character is still there. Think she had more lines in this one episode than she did in all of last series :)

p.s. Is it okay to still think James Norton is dreamy even when playing a vile scroat like Tommy Lee Royce? Yes? Yes, it's fine.

Excellent stuff.. was convinced that was Matthew Lewis as the lad that
    Nevison sacked
    . Looked up IMDB and it is him.. some change since his Harry Potter days:

20matthewlewis0501B.jpg

Hoping for a bit more than a
    blackmail storyline coming out of that side story
    but we do have out fair share of female psychos with her and Shirley Henderson's character (she does nuts well to be fair!).

Nice (somewhat) light opening with the sheep too.. all-in-all, excellent stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anybody know if last night's episode will be repeated on BBC before next week's second episode? I missed it last night and I don't want to wait until it's screened again by RTE.

Does anybody know if last night's episode will be repeated on BBC before next week's second episode? I missed it last night and I don't want to wait until it's screened again by RTE.
    BBC don't tend to repeat unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

no repeat, was looking into it last night for a mate that missed it, next showing is ep2 next Tue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just caught up with it - blimey that was cheerful. Stars with t'sheep slaying and goes downhill from there! If I were t'northerner I'd be right t'pee-d off about t'way my t'life was being t'portrayed :D

• Advertisement

Just caught up with it - blimey that was cheerful. Stars with t'sheep slaying and goes downhill from there! If I were t'northerner I'd be right t'pee-d off about t'way my t'life was being t'portrayed :D

I've heard a few times that it's pretty accurate of the area it's set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sadly that's probably the case - the old industrial mill towns are a monument to the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This really is an excellent TV show! Started watching based on this thread, and got through the first season in one sitting. Great stuff!

• Just caught up with it - blimey that was cheerful. Stars with t'sheep slaying and goes downhill from there! If I were t'northerner I'd be right t'pee-d off about t'way my t'life was being t'portrayed :D

Aye,and fixin' fence int top field and all!

Jeepers!

That was tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]"I've heard a few times that it's pretty accurate of the area it's set"[/font]
    yep I live in Halifax and its spot on, unfortunately.

My take on the second episode, if that's alright with the Gestapo. :pac:

Spot on again. The writing simply leaves breadcrumbs, no clobbering the viewer over the head explaining everything. They are skirting a very fine line here, it could easily become ridiculous, but no, it's the chaos of relationships and you can see the wheels turning in their head. It's all suitably messed up.

Taser to the balls, table for one!

I mentioned it during the first series but I have to say it again, the writing of the female characters here is maybe the best I've ever seen. I don't think that's overselling it.

Catherine is so f**king selfish and annoying at times and yet she's also incredibly brave and kind and smart and a million other things. Realistic is the word. I absolutely love it. All of the female characters are great and it doesn't come at the expense of the male characters either. So many writers fall into that trap when trying to write "strong women", make her a ball buster and make the men around her incompetent/sexist etc.

Sally Wainwright is just so bloody good.

Jeepers!

That was tense.

God yeah. The atmosphere of the scene of those couple of seconds as she walked into the church. You know it was unlikely she'd do anything, but you couldn't be certain...

• Advertisement

My take on the second episode, if that's alright with the Gestapo. :pac:

Thought that whole scene was amazing. It started out quite funny and then she fell out the door :D but then it turned into a very sad and almost heartbreaking scene with Catherine kneeling in the street begging her to come home.

Advertisement