Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

sweetie wrote: »
    You really should watch s1

When i saw it got Best Drama+Best Actress, i watched it when it came on RTE, certainly riveting stuff.

I did catch the tv review on SundayAM, yer man Cillian (who was in FairCity) failed to mention that Charlie Murphy was in it, even though it showed the trailer, some review, heh :(
    I love how quickly a scene can go from comedy to drama or vice versa and feel perfectly natural. Like Catherine and drunk Claire last week being quite amusing at first to heartbreaking, this week it was Catherine and her friend laughing it up in the restaurant and then falling out a minute later.

I had to pause it I was laughing so much when John came home from cleaning up his murder and the wife was in bed with someone else :eek:
    The lengths he went to to end the affair and keep it quiet and then the wife is banging someone else anyway :D

The dead body make up was pretty graphic, no idea how Bullmore filmed that scene with her head inside a plastic bag inside a body bag. Creepy as fupp.

I reckon it's only a matter of time before the wife is next to go?

6episodes is it?
    Loved the ringing endorsement from the waitress!

The young copper is clearly going to be so clever she'll have to be killed by the DS. That she finished off the bottle of red when stood up by same tells us she'll be a proper copper ;)

What are the chances she'll get kidnapped again to prevent her solving the case & where have i seen Shirley Henderson before, maybe in another creepy character before, as she plays it well :(

I read an interview from Sarah Lancashire gave in a weekend tv mag on to say that "I didn't think S02 was necesary, but Sally Wainwright had a long chat & convinced me to do it"
    Although she finishes off by saying
    that she's adamant she won't be signing up for a third series, as she set out to tell a story & this is certainly the end of the story &" i don't think it has a happy ending & it shouldn't have one either, There are no happy endings..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I love how quickly a scene can go from comedy to drama or vice versa and feel perfectly natural.

What was great about that was it was 2 women arguing without raised voices. Most other shows probably would have gone in the opposite direction.

I don't have any sympathy for John. The relief on his face when the pathologist said it looked like the other murders and what he did to the woman with the bottle. :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

What was great about that was it was 2 women arguing without raised voices. Most other shows probably would have gone in the opposite direction.

I didn't even think of that. If you think of the Bechdel Test thing they use in film to assess the female characters and their roles Happy Valley blows it up. It's so well done though that you don't even notice it until someone points it out, like that scene we're talking about. Sometimes you see things on TV and they feel like a very obvious attempt to make something like that. I've mentioned this before so I won't go on too much, point being that Happy Valley is just really well written and acted to the point where you're not thinking about any of that when you're watching it but if you have a think after, and especially if you compare it to other TV shows, you realise just how good it is.
    I don't have any sympathy for John. The relief on his face when the pathologist said it looked like the other murders and what he did to the woman with the bottle. :eek:

At the start of the episode I thought he was a bit out of sorts because of what he's done but then when he was talking to Anne you realise he's actually more annoyed about his wife than anything. He doesn't really start to show any kind of emotion for what he's done until his boss lady identified the body, and even then it's more because he knows he's probably going to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It's so upsetting watching this.
    I'm upset for so many people . Such sadness in people's lives

How in the name of everything can Frances listen to his insane ramblings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You just know Con O'Neill who plays the boyfriend is going to end up being fingered for the murders unless that was a very big slight of plotting hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Damn, that opening scene, then Catherine...

Nevison is is quite an empathetic character, to be fair. I think him and Catherine are good mirrors each of other. Anne's slipping and going off script. Clare's boyfriend is now around for spag bol, for a second there I was wondering if they were suggesting he was the murderer.

The Scalextric scene was tricky, but I thought they made good use of the soundtrack. It wasn't my favourite scene, nor was the end with Frances and Royce.

Suitcase treatment for John. :P Episode 5 next week will either be the calm before the storm or it'll escalate. I fully expect the finale to be bruising.

"I Googled your Dad" - WTF kind of thing is that to say to 10 year old? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Another brilliant episode last night...what about that boy on the farm Darryl who was bullied by the sheep rustlers? The way he flipped and lost his temper and then the camera stayed on the boot of his car when the police woman went to get the hammer from the front seat...could be a suspect? (btw, isn't the woman who play's his mother the Irish actress Susan Lynch).
    Love the little boy in it, great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Lisha wrote: »
    How in the name of everything can Frances listen to his insane ramblings.
    Surely she's not the full shilling herself either? Quite easy to believe she'd be lead astray by Tommy; he is quite charming too.

I keep waiting for her to ask him "have I got a ronnie?"

Canadel wrote: »
    Surely she's not the full shilling herself either? Quite easy to believe she'd be lead astray by Tommy; he is quite charming too.

I keep waiting for her to ask him "have I got a ronnie?"

It's just so icky to watch and the way she gets so turned on by him is so gross.

She must be a great actress its disturbing to watch

For their own safety women who want to write to these psychos should be assessed and banned from interacting with these prisoners

• Advertisement

It's just so icky to watch and the way she gets so turned on by him is so gross.

For their own safety women who want to write to these psychos should be assessed and banned from interacting with these prisoners
    It's interesting. He's very convincing, and looks a bit like Tom Hardy too which probably helps.

She has serious problems herself to be fair. It's not her safety anyone should be worried about. I am amazed though that it hasn't been discovered by anyone that she is working in the school while simultaneously visiting him in prison. Could Catherine get a list of any visitors that have visited Tommy I wonder? Surely she would have done that after the birthday present debacle if it were possible?

It's interesting. He's very convincing, and looks a bit like Tom Hardy too which probably helps.

She has serious problems herself to be fair. It's not her safety anyone should be worried about. I am amazed though that it hasn't been discovered by anyone that she is working in the school while simultaneously visiting him in prison. Could Catherine get a list of any visitors that have visited Tommy I wonder? Surely she would have done that after the birthday present debacle if it were possible?

She is definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

I thought there was a vague mention last night about checking his visitor lists to try and figure out who left the presents. I'm hoping they will twig her name.

In wondering if this series will discuss how Catherine being too wrapped up in work is causing her relationships to fail. In that she is letting them down.
    Eg not knowing enough about her grandsons teachers, her sister falling off the wagon when Catherine left her alone, her boyfriend having a dodgy past, he sons failed marriage and so on, Anne drinking etc

All in all I fear Catherine is heading for a lonely time of it.
    Nevison possibly being her only ally when it all spirals out of her control again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

How did she get involved with him in the first place?

So it was her that sent the "scalectrix "to the young fella.........

jimmyw wrote: »
    How did she get involved with him in the first place?

So it was her that sent the "scalectrix "to the young fella.........

Apparently some silly women do write to prisoners they don't know like a pen pal thingy.. WTactualF would anyone want to us beyond me.

Yes it was. And to be fair putting the card in from his dad worked perfectly. Niw Ryan things his dad is sorry and loves him. And that his nana and auntie are big meanies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Apparently some silly women do write to prisoners they don't know like a pen pal thingy.. WTactualF would anyone want to us beyond me.

Yes it was. And to be fair putting the card in from his dad worked perfectly. Niw Ryan things his dad is sorry and loves him. And that his nana and auntie are big meanies

Ah yeah I know they do like for prisoners on death row in the states for instance, I didn't see any of the other series, so just wondered.

Ah yeah I know they do like for prisoners on death row in the states for instance, I didn't see any of the other series, so just wondered.

We never saw her until she visited him and has s new job in Ryan's school. There was no explicit explanation given.

If possible I'd really recommend you watch the first series. It is shockingly good TV. Hard to watch at times but compelling, fantasticly written and very well acted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I didn't see any of the other series, so just wondered.
    You're doing yourself a massive disservice. A lot of the raw emotion we see here only really gets context with the first season. You'll understand much better just why everyone feels the way they do. Even better is it's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Frances seems a little hesitant but is easily manipulated over her obsession with Royce so I expect she will do anything, an explosive last couple of episodes I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Is the bbc iplayer the only place to catch up on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yes, no repeats on telly.

• Advertisement

Nevison is is quite an empathetic character, to be fair. I think him and Catherine are good mirrors each of other. Anne's slipping and going off script. Clare's boyfriend is now around for spag bol, for a second there I was wondering if they were suggesting he was the murderer.

I'm not sure what's going on with Claire's boyfriend. I was wondering if he was the murderer but I think maybe it might just be that he knew Vicky and when they confirm that she's not connected to the other killings he may come under suspicion for her murder.

I was wondering too about the lad off the farm. They were in the first episode and then disappeared. I wasn't sure were they just one off characters or would it come up again. Anne being drunk/hungover/not on the ball at the farm may come back to bite her. It did feel like there was something else to be found in the car. Fair bit of rope in the boot anyway.

The kid playing Ryan is excellent. He was quite good last series but he's really good in this one. His face at the end of the scene where Catherine was taking his toy away was heartbreaking. They do seem to have told him what his dad has done, or most of it, but I wonder how much he really understands it? They seem to talk around it rather than discuss it properly with him.

The anniversary of Becky's death is 6 weeks away, I'm wondering will the series end around then? Emotions would be heightened anyway... could be a very dramatic/traumatic ending.

Oh, and what a great choice to have the officers who dealt with the rape at the start be women. I was full sure it would be two men, my own prejudices on show there :) It goes back to what I was saying about how good Sally Wainwright is, she can write really complicated and brilliant female characters without having to throw the men under the bus to do it.

Oh, and what a great choice to have the officers who dealt with the rape at the start be women. I was full sure it would be two men, my own prejudices on show there :) It goes back to what I was saying about how good Sally Wainwright is, she can write really complicated and brilliant female characters without having to throw the men under the bus to do it.

I was struck by that too, that a female officer can lack empathy when it comes to rape. Or, a more experienced officer can push a newbie around and gender's not really the issue. It's very good show from the point view that the characters are strong without seeming like either gender is being slighted or like it's an opinion column from the Guardian.

I was struck by that too, that a female officer can lack empathy when it comes to rape. Or, a more experienced officer can push a newbie around and gender's not really the issue. It's very good show from the point view that the characters are strong without seeming like either gender is being slighted or like it's an opinion column from the Guardian.

I think it was the fact the girl was a prostitute too. An awful lot of people would have zero sympathy for a prostitute being raped by a client. It's the definition of "asking for it" for a lot of people. The fact the more experienced officer was arguing with Catherine that they're always at it, or whatever she said, was pretty poor form too. At least the other one had the sense to apologise and knew she had handled it badly.

I don't think it was a lack of empathy for the prostitute, at least not compared to a person working in a more respected trade or profession, but rather that the girl being a prostitute allowed the officers to take the easy option and avoid following procedure.

It was just a general lack of professionalism more than anything.

I don't think it was a lack of empathy for the prostitute, at least not compared to a person working in a more respected trade or profession, but rather that the girl being a prostitute allowed the officers to take the easy option and avoid following procedure.

It was just a general lack of professionalism more than anything.

That's the same thing.

She was a prostitute therefore they didn't have to treat her the same way they would have treated another 19 year old who was attacked and raped. The other officer even tried to argue the point with Catherine. Can't remember her exact words but it was something to the effect of she's only a prostitute, they're always at it.

That's the same thing.

She was a prostitute therefore they didn't have to treat her the same way they would have treated another 19 year old who was attacked and raped. The other officer even tried to argue the point with Catherine. Can't remember her exact words but it was something to the effect of she's only a prostitute, they're always at it.
    It's not the same. If it were a professional woman who was raped they would have been under pressure to follow procedure knowing the consequences would be greater if it was discovered they didn't. It doesn't mean they would be showing the professional woman any more empathy than the prostitute. The reason they didn't follow procedure with the prostitute is because they thought they could get away with not doing it and in turn make their job easier. Their level of empathy is a constant, but their level of professionalism depended on the type of woman raped.

It's not the same. If it were a professional woman who was raped they would have been under pressure to follow procedure knowing the consequences would be greater if it was discovered they didn't. It doesn't mean they would be showing the professional woman any more empathy than the prostitute. The reason they didn't follow procedure with the prostitute is because they thought they could get away with not doing it and in turn make their job easier. Their level of empathy is a constant, but their level of professionalism depended on the type of woman raped.

If they had any empathy towards the prostitute their professionalism wouldn't have come into it. They would have done the right thing if they cared an ounce about the girl. They dumped her at the hospital, wouldn't bring her friend with them, didn't take her accusation seriously, didn't take statements, didn't get an evidence kit, didn't even wait to see the girl into the hospital. Then they went off and got pizza and had a moan about their food break being late.

Their lack of empathy led to their lack of professionalism. They go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Can i join in please? Another newbie to this excellent series. Would love to watch series1 but cannot find it. The girl who plays Frances is a brilliant actress. She was in Bridget Jones diary years ago (one of Bridget's friends) and i think was a 'family member'in trainspotting (funeral scene they all in pub etc). She's definitely not a well character in this series but neither is Royce.
    Sarah Lancashire is superb. Anybody remember her in the early days as Raquel in Corrie? She's come a long way since then.
    I also got a surprise when i saw the female officers. Was sat there asking myself why did I assume it would be two men.
    There's so much going on with everybody. Who knew Anne had a drink problem? I also think Catherines sisters fella is either guilty of something or the affair with Vicky will come back to haunt him.
    What happened to the photos Vicky took of the policeman? Are we really to believe that they weren't backed up/copied even though she gave them back to him.

Aimeee wrote: »
    Can i join in please? Another newbie to this excellent series. Would love to watch series1 but cannot find it.

If you have access to US Netflix it's on there.

• Advertisement

If you have access to US Netflix it's on there.

I downloaded Netflix especially to see happy valley and I can't find it on it.

Advertisement