Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She's obsessed with that guttersnipe. I though earlier in the episode the copper was having a bright idea and that he was going to stage a murder rather than idiotically "run off" and then kill her in a fit of rage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

She's obsessed with that guttersnipe. I though earlier in the episode the copper was having a bright idea and that he was going to stage a murder rather than idiotically "run off" and then kill her in a fit of rage.

Alas, I think his bright idea was to pretend to be shacking up with her and get her to give him all copies of the pictures she took, which really wasn't that bright an idea.

Pretty sure he'll still stage it to look like one of the other murders, he did strangle her after all.

Oh sure but that's by accident rather than design.

I like the wee kid I have to say - something bad is going to happen to him of course.

I like the wee kid I have to say - something bad is going to happen to him of course.

He was good last series too, not too Billy Barryish like some kid actors can be. Loved how sharp he was when yer one was asking him about his other granny. Catherine's copper instincts rubbing off on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Well that escalated quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh sure but that's by accident rather than design.

The one thing I'm confident in saying about this series is there's no "of course" about it.

I've just watched the first two episodes tonight, and I have to say that I was kind of dreading a second series on the basis that the first one was such self-contained story - but this is turning into a humdinger, again.

I wish they'd cut down on Catherine's soliloquies, delivered at top speed in t'local accent, as I miss pretty much 100% of them - but other than that, it's a thumbs up from me.

(Had to google him, but does the actor who plays the detective/Molesley ever play a character other than a bumbling fool???)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

(Had to google him, but does the actor who plays the detective/Molesley ever play a character other than a bumbling fool???)

Ha yes, he is always a loser of some sort. Actors sometimes get typecast to a ridiculous degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Very good, but I just couldn't buy such a kooky mumbling oddball getting a job working with school kids. :o

I wish they had cast someone else in that role.:mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Very good, but I just couldn't buy such a kooky mumbling oddball getting a job working with school kids. :o

I wish they had cast someone else in that role.:mad:

I don't know how schools work but would they not have done a police background check on her and would that not have shown up her prison visits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I don't know how schools work but would they not have done a police background check on her and would that not have shown up her prison visits?

A background check wouldn't show up if someone visits someone in prison or not.

• Advertisement

A background check wouldn't show up if someone visits someone in prison or not.

You'd think it would.

Maybe it's a privacy thing but if you're visiting a convicted rapist/murderer on the regular I'm not sure I want you working with my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

You'd think it would.

Maybe it's a privacy thing but if you're visiting a convicted rapist/murderer on the regular I'm not sure I want you working with my kids.

I think if a school found out later an employee was visiting a rapist, that employee would probably come under scrutiny but still not sure they could fire someone without threat of unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You'd think it would.

That's an extreme attitude, bordering on paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It would raise concern at school board level (with the victims living locally) but plenty of people do compassionate prison visits without being nutjobs. You'll find a lot of clergy and social worker types visit inmates whose families have abandoned them or whose families are severely dysfunctional.
    And she does do a great nut.

Canadel wrote: »
    That's an extreme attitude, bordering on paranoia.

I don't think it's extreme. I'm not saying anyone visiting prisoners should be banned from working with kids. I'm just saying you'd think it would be included in a background check and then give them a chance to explain it. Someone visiting a relative who is in jail for burglary isn't the same as someone visiting a stranger who raped someone and murdered a bunch of people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just caught up on episode two. Love this show, it's so consistently good. Tommy Lee gives me the silliest, I saw him in a clip of a programme where he plays a priest and I couldn't take it seriously after this programme. *Shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Missed the first season, what's the connection with Catherine and her sister and Ann (Charley murphys character) are they family? They were all in the hospital together and looked like family? Or just work friends?

Gal44 wrote: »
    Missed the first season, what's the connection with Catherine and her sister and Ann (Charley murphys character) are they family? They were all in the hospital together and looked like family? Or just work friends?
    She was rescued by Catherine after being kidnapped, tortured and raped by Tommy Lee Royce (and gang) and Catherine and the Gallagher family became close. Ann is daughter of Nevison Gallagher (millionaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks!

Gal44 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Also Catherine's sister Claire worked/volunteered with Anne's mother at a sort of drop in centre charity thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

That's true, although I remember him in another excellent BBC Series 'The Lakes' from some years ago where he had a meatier role.

Really enjoying Series 2 of Happy Valley. I was half expecting a disappointment (like Series 2 of Broadchurch) but pleasantly surprised so far.

miamee wrote: »
    Just caught up on episode two. Love this show, it's so consistently good. Tommy Lee gives me the silliest, I saw him in a clip of a programme where he plays a priest and I couldn't take it seriously after this programme. *Shudder*

I saw Grantchester (he plays a lovely vicar who helps the police with their investigations!) after Happy Valley as well. :eek:

Ruu wrote: »
    I saw Grantchester (he plays a lovely vicar who helps the police with their investigations!) after Happy Valley as well. :eek:

He was in War & Peace just recently on BBC playing a very handsome and dreamy Prince. Had a lovely quiff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Gal44 wrote:

You really should watch s1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

sweetie wrote: »
    You really should watch s1

+1

Apart from bringing you up to speed on the characters/relationships, it's a thumping good watch in its own right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Top form episode again in 2.03.

There were two autopsies running parallel here. Firstly, the real one, which in typical BBC fashion was about as un-CSI as you can get. Also, the initial flash of the deceased's decomposed's face at the crime scene. Grim. Secondly, the autopsy of Catherine.

The bits where Catherine and the police admin woman came to blows and the subsequent follow up with the cactus - bloody great.

Anne wearing a detective hat, slight storytelling liberties taken there, perhaps. But I did let out a 'Jesus Christ!' at the erection line owing to its comedy value.

John, brace for impact. Er, Frances channelling her inner Sméagol during that prison visit?

Elvis has left the restaurant. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am interested to find out how they might link the woman's murder to the detective.Surely they wouldn't be on any DNA database?

There may be other ways, but these days DNA helps a great deal to convict or not, of a person suspected of a crime.

"Charlie Murphy"character is going to help solve this case is my guess, she has already put two and two together for the other detective.

The bits where Catherine and the police admin woman came to blows and the subsequent follow up with the cactus - bloody great.

I love how quickly a scene can go from comedy to drama or vice versa and feel perfectly natural. Like Catherine and drunk Claire last week being quite amusing at first to heartbreaking, this week it was Catherine and her friend laughing it up in the restaurant and then falling out a minute later.

I had to pause it I was laughing so much when John came home from cleaning up his murder and the wife was in bed with someone else :eek:
    The lengths he went to to end the affair and keep it quiet and then the wife is banging someone else anyway :D

The dead body make up was pretty graphic, no idea how Bullmore filmed that scene with her head inside a plastic bag inside a body bag. Creepy as fupp.

jimmyw wrote: »
    I am interested to find out how they might link the woman's murder to the detective.Surely they wouldn't be on any DNA database?

I know he burned down her flat but I'm wondering if they'll find a phone or laptop or something belonging to her, or access her emails or whatever and find the pictures of him. It won't prove he killed her but it would link him to her and give him motive.

• Advertisement

Elvis has left the restaurant. :pac:

Loved the ringing endorsement from the waitress!

The young copper is clearly going to be so clever she'll have to be killed by the DS. That she finished off the bottle of red when stood up by same tells us she'll be a proper copper ;)

Advertisement