Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Options
  • 24-02-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭

The last thread was nearing the 10k post limit so here's part 2.

The same rules as the last thread apply here. People seem to have strong opinions either way when it comes to McGregor and threads here tend to get a bit heated from time to time. Please keep it civil and discuss all things Conor in a mature way.
    Any name-calling, trolling, baiting, or being a general ass-hat will earn you a ban from the thread and possibly the forum.
    If you have an issue with a post, please use the report post function. Any off topic posts will be deleted.
    Any "Do you even train Bro?" or "I'm an mma fan longer than you" type posts are not permitted either. They only make you look like a fool and as a result, everyone hates you. Yes everyone.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight-gif-2.gif

First post rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I heard that Dos Anjos is out of UFC 196 and Conor is now set to fight Nate Diaz at welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Holly and Miesha will hardly get a word in later today

I expect Conor to throw in a dig about nick to aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

That_Guy wrote: »
    I heard that Dos Anjos is out of UFC 196 and Conor is now set to fight Nate Diaz at welterweight.

Well, I heard that Diaz is out of UFC 196 and Conor is now set to fight Luke Rockhold at middleweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nobody deserves a straight rematch regardless of how great they were. Edgar has no right to call out McGregor when he lost to the man that McGregor beat IMO.

Just wanna pick up these points from your post, you can say nobody deserves a straight rematch regardless, but in some cases it has to happen, in others, like in the Rousey one, she was destroyed, completely outclassed and humbled, yet Dana said straight after, "Of course there is gonna be a rematch" citing that she had been champ so long, so dominant and the rest, so if he is going to have those rules for one he should follow them for others. As I said previously, the whole situation with Aldo makes it tough to make a good case for immediate rematch really, such a long build up, so little pay off, I think he should have to fight Frankie to get at Conor again

Frankie on the other hand has every right to call out McGregor, he has beaten everybody put in front of him since, he has done everything the company asked and demanded for him to be given another shot and again after his last win we have Dana publicly committing to "Frankie gets what he wants"

He deserves the next shot at the title, it sucks that he has to wait a while for it, but hey, that's life.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

As I said before ''You dont always get what you deserve''

UFC only want big money fights,Conor pulls a certain amount of ppv himself but when they give him a good foil everybody gets rich,Frankie is too nice and respectful offers no personality,same with RDA the ufc would've loved Cowboy to beat him he offers Conor nothing but the Belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gamebred wrote: »

UFC only want big money fights,Conor pulls a certain amount of ppv himself but when they give him a good foil everybody gets rich,Frankie is too nice and respectful offers no personality,same with RDA the ufc would've loved Cowboy to beat him he offers Conor nothing but the Belt.

Agree 100% with the first part :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Odds of 1/7 that 'What times the fight starting at?' will be the most posted question in the thread.

CERRONE_DIAZ.gif

Nate took Cowboys soul in that mentally ruined him,

Really hope he doesnt swing for Conor and ruin the fight at the press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Really hope he doesnt swing for Conor and ruin the fight at the press conference.

I'd hope he ain't that stupid, cost himself a lot of money if he did

• Advertisement

I'd hope he ain't that stupid, cost himself a lot of money if he did

Nothing would surprise me with the Diaz Bros although im expecting low key enough press conference,Im a Nick Diaz Fanboy I remember saying to my mate when the Anderson fight started surely he wont **** talk to Silva here,

Well you know what happened next.

Utter nonsense. Whatever about the UFC wanting big fights, of course they do. They're a promoter trying to make the most money.

Dos Anjos has been excellent in the UFC. Saying he offers nothing is pretty ignorant. He is a brilliant fighter in my opinion and I've enjoyed watching him over the years.

Just because he doesn't talk thrash like Conor doesn't make him any less of a fighter and to do so is stupid imo.

Same applies for Frankie too. He is one of my favourite fighters ever. His fights are never dull that's for sure. Just because he's well spoken and not upsetting the apple cart at any turn doesn't make him any less of a fighter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm not someone who said Conor should vacate for not defending for 2 months (FFS) so don't lump me in there, who said that?

My only point is that Aldo has not been an inactive fighter, McGregor is practically a hyper active fighter, he could do it but I can't see him fighting at 145 again, he should have defended against Frankie, he probably should defend against Aldo really but hard to make enough of a case given what happened.

Again, I am not calling for McGregor to be stripped of the belt already, I am pointing out the inaccuracy of trying to paint Aldo as inactive, it has been shown many times now but still needs to be repeated apparently.

If McGregor knows himself he isn't going to go to 145 again he will vacate once he wins the LW belt, I'm sure of that. Makes no sense for them to limit their options as of yet though. Keep all avenues open, a WW title shot would not be beyond him with how his physique is developing, he is a natural LW to me right now, and always has been in the UFC at least but as he gets a bit older he is showing he will be capable of moving up also.

He has been extremely clever with his career thus far, the cutting to FW was extremely tough on him, we know that, but it gave him huge advantages in that division, in LW I still think he gonna be a problem match up for most, when it comes to WW he could face problems but while the dream is still alive to hold (potentially) 3 different weight class belts at once I can't see him giving up any belt.

I'd imagine the image of a strap on each shoulder and one around his waist is something very appealing to Conor, as it would any fighter, and by going to a weight limit below himself and taking that, potentially taking the belt where he would be most natural, and then trying to extend himself a little more to take a belt from a higher weight class? That is GOAT territory right there and though he would obviously relinquish the FW belt after he achieved it I can see that being a target for him.

You jumped in on my response to another poster who claimed that Conor should defend at FW next or vacate his title. I used your input to bring it back to my original point rather than going down a well worn Aldo discussion. Maybe try to read the post people are responding to.

I didn’t paint Aldo as inactive; I simply stated the fact that the average gap between his last 5 defenses is 9.5 months. People can say that’s active or inactive but either way it highlights the double standard of posters who have no issue with champions taking large gaps between defenses only to now have an issue with McGregor just because he’s taking other fights instead of having a holiday (not claiming you are one of these people).

Utter nonsense. Whatever about the UFC wanting big fights, of course they do. They're a promoter trying to make the most money.

Dos Anjos has been excellent in the UFC. Saying he offers nothing is pretty ignorant. He is a brilliant fighter in my opinion and I've enjoyed watching him over the years.

Just because he doesn't talk thrash like Conor doesn't make him any less of a fighter and to do so is stupid imo.

Same applies for Frankie too. He is one of my favourite fighters ever. His fights are never dull that's for sure. Just because he's well spoken and not upsetting the apple cart at any turn doesn't make him any less of a fighter either.

Point went way over your head,the pair of them are free tv fighters and bring no ppv pull,that is a FACT my friend,no reflection on their skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Ze86N21ro

Press conference in 40 minutes, should be interesting.

Point went way over your head,the pair of them are free tv fighters and bring no ppv pull,that is a FACT my friend,no reflection on their skill.

What do you mean 'FACT'?

Frankie's numbers may not be huge compared to recent PPV's but he's still got decent numbers behind him from previous years.
    UFC 112 – v. Penn – 500K PPV Buys
    UFC 118 – v. Penn II – 535K PPV Buys
    UFC 125 – v. Maynard II – 260K PPV Buys
    UFC 136 – v. Maynard III – 225K PPV Buys
    UFC 144 – v. Henderson – 325K PPV Buys
    UFC 150 – v. Henderson II – 190K PPV Buys

While I like Dos Anjos, I think people would tune in more to a McGregor/Edgar fight. It's the more intriguing fight style wise for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What do you mean 'FACT'?

Frankie's numbers may not be huge compared to recent PPV's but he's still got decent numbers behind him from previous years.

While I like Dos Anjos, I think people would tune in more to a McGregor/Edgar fight. It's the more intriguing fight style wise for me anyway.

Those aren't great numbers apart from BJ fights where arguably it was BJ who was the draw. His point is valid.

Frankies last 4 fights what ppv event were they on please?

Dos Anjos is the ulitmate free tv champion too they he been on one ppv in about 5 years and it done garbage numbers

its not even debatable neither have any sort of support neither has any personality and neither pull the numbers in,it has nothing to do with you liking their style of fighting or being a fan of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

amber2 wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Ze86N21ro

Press conference in 40 minutes, should be interesting.

Good christ, the comments section beside that is literally the most foul mouthed dregs of society crap I've ever spent a few seconds looking at.

Anyhooo looking forward to the presser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Jayop wrote: »
    Good christ, the comments section beside that is literally the most foul mouthed dregs of society crap I've ever spent a few seconds looking at.

Anyhooo looking forward to the presser.

Oh they are a special breed in that chat lol

• Advertisement

Frankies last 4 fights what ppv event were they on please?

Dos Anjos is the ulitmate free tv champion too they he been on one ppv in about 5 years and it done garbage numbers

its not even debatable neither have any sort of support neither has any personality and neither pull the numbers in,it has nothing to do with you liking their style of fighting or being a fan of them.

Fair enough. I still maintain that Frankie has pulling power but you clearly don't.

dos Anjos has been on 5 PPV's in the last 5 years. Granted he only headlined one of them and became champion.

I'd argue that he too would have pulling power. You don't think so. No point in continuing an argument that neither of us are going to concede to.

I look forward to this press conference starting 4 hours late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

evo2000 wrote: »
    Oh they are a special breed in that chat lol

Any comments section on YouTube are a special breed. If you want to see a tonne of pointless arguments just go to YouTube comments.....or this thread come to think of it 😉

Anyone with an Xbox/Playstation can watch the stream through the YouTube app on the UFC channel. Handy shtuff.

Fair enough. I still maintain that Frankie has pulling power but you clearly don't.

dos Anjos has been on 5 PPV's in the last 5 years. Granted he only headlined one of them and became champion.

I'd argue that he too would have pulling power. You don't think so. No point in continuing an argument that neither of us are going to concede to.

I look forward to this press conference starting 4 hours late.

RDA has headlined 1 ppv,it also had overeem,hendricks,cejudo and joanna on the card and it done 310k buys that is truly shocking,

The casual fans will buy into Conor Diaz and probably triple that number with a garbage card,bar the womens fight which is ok rest isnt up to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Hard to predict what exactly is gonna go down at this press conference,you could have an idea what was coming in previous ones but this is gonna be surprising whatever goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

How long do the press conferences usually last?

How long do the press conferences usually last?

40 mins or so I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Diaz will come flying out the traps but he will be put down in the 2nd I reckon. Make no mistake though, this is a dangerous fight for McGregor but if he gets through it, then it will stand to him big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Diaz gonna be late for the presser,can see them both trying to make each other wait,presser wont start till midnight.

• Advertisement

El Chapo jr late again? no surprise there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement