Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car accident, road with no grip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

raher1 wrote: »
    15 rim

Just putting it in perspective, I pay around 100 per tyre for 16". It's one area that I won't scrimp on. Paying that bit extra for decent quality tyres is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Just putting it in perspective, I pay around 100 per tyre for 16". It's one area that I won't scrimp on. Paying that bit extra for decent quality tyres is well worth it.
    the tyres were recommended to me, i am not a tyre expert

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the tyres were recommended to me, i am not a tyre expert

It wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to learn a little

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

my tyre guy said they were the best, i m not a tyre expert

They'll just promote what's cheapest. That's what most people want. Try and promote an expensive tyre and the average joe will think they're being ripped off and leave. Unless you go in and specifically ask for a premium tyre, you will get told everything to promote the cheaper tyre, "I have them on my car" "just as good as the premiums".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He should be your ex tyre guy.

I'm no tyre expert either but it's pretty obvious that the brand you've mentioned would be cheap and nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Perhaps you should do Dan advanced driving course, pushing the brakes as hard as you can isn't always the best response , sometimes it's best to pump them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps they are going in to next years F1 season as official tyre supplier in place of known brands like Goodyear, Bridgestone etc. From experience if you have not heard of the tyre before you don't want to be buying them.

Perhaps they are going in to next years F1 season as official tyre supplier in place of known brands like Goodyear, Bridgestone etc. From experience if you have not heard of the tyre before you don't want to be buying them.

i respected your mans opinion as he has years of experience, looks like he has dropped hes standards. sad to read he sold me crap tyres. moving to another guy even if it costs me a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

i respected your mans opinion as he has years of experience, looks like he has dropped hes standards. sad to read he sold me crap tyres. moving to another guy even if it costs me a bit more.

I think they are on higher margins with the cheaper brands, family members have gone to tyre sellers and had the same experience as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Alun wrote: »
    What make were your brand new tyres? Were they by any chance recommended to you by the tyre shop as "what all the taxi drivers use" so they must be good? If so they were probably cheap Chinese tyres commonly known as "ditchfinders" which magically lose all semblance of grip as soon as one drop of water hits the road.

Apologies if not the case, but it crops up a lot on the Motors forum these days.

what a ridiculous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

If you are going to blame the road, you'll probably need to have a read of this

I'd also have a read of this

I don't go for the cheap option on tires myself, I've found it to be a very false economy, I've had a few vehicles through work that have put cheap sh1tty tires on, and they are lethal after even a small spray of rain.

Braking distance in the wet is definitely something people underestimate all of the time. I've had the ABS kick in a few times where people have pulled into my headway and then put the brakes on hard, usually at lower speeds (50 and 60kmh zones) luckily, otherwise there would have been a prang for sure.

It's a pain in the ar$e that so many motorists look at the gap between you and the car in front, and think "I can fit in there" rather than it occuring to them that that space is my reaction and braking time if the car in front decides to slam on. I wish I had something more obvious than my finger and a horn to let them know what I think of their "judgement".

I suspect that those "ditchfinders" also have difficulty with the perfectly smooth sub-surface of unfinished roads as well as they rely on the rough stone in the road for grip.

what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

what are you talking about?

Give it a rest troll pants.

Your posts about budget tyres are just to get a reaction and everyone has had enough at this stage.

Never heard of Nordexx tyres and I've heard of most at this stage, and refused to fit a huge amount of unknown brands to our cars due to safety concerns having experienced a good few sub par, cheap tyres.

Because someone has a differing opinion to you and some others on here, I must be trolling?

how very narrow minded and silly

It seems that op's driving was at fault and the tyres were irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Headline should have read, "Car Accident, Tyres with no Grip" instead of Road

Because someone has a differing opinion to you and some others on here, I must be trolling?

i dont think so. the car should stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

They sure we're the best, the best profit margin for the fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You do realise that tyres play a huge part in stopping right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

i dont think so. the car should stop

It did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

cjpm wrote: »
    That court case was about a school bus that crashed in Meath on a section of road that was being fixed up IIRC

Regarding that case, it was found that the abs had been disconnected, nothing to do with the road as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

I love how everyone is claiming there are certain tyres with 'no grip'. Let's put this myth to bed.

The reality is all tyres sold today must have an e-mark on them which states the tyre meets minimum EU standards in relation to speed rating, treat depth etc...

Give that most cars on our road are either new or go through the NCT every 1/2 years, it's pretty unlikely you'll find tyres with 'no grip'.

If you're driving in a fashion where you regularly 'need' grip to ensure your safety (i.e. speeding around corners, not leaving safe distances to car in front etc...), you need to question your ability as a driver before you start blaming the car or it's tyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I love how everyone is claiming there are certain tyres with 'no grip'. Let's put this myth to bed.

The reality is all tyres sold today must have an e-mark on them which states the tyre meets minimum EU standards in relation to speed rating, treat depth etc...

Give that most cars on our road are either new or go through the NCT every 1/2 years, it's pretty unlikely you'll find tyres with 'no grip'.

If you're driving in a fashion where you regularly 'need' grip to ensure your safety (i.e. speeding around corners, not leaving safe distances to car in front etc...), you need to question your ability as a driver before you start blaming the car or it's tyres...

and you "put this myth to bed" by just ranting on. Lovely

There are differences in tyres - otherwise they'd all be the same

The labels measure wet grip using a ranking system that ranges from

( best performance ) A
    > G ( worst performance )

Vehicles with tyres from Class A stop in the shortest distance from 50mph,

whilst tyres from Class B take an additional 3-6 metres.

This trend continues for the subsequent values and results in an increase in braking distance of over 18 metres from a vehicle in Class A to Class F.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Your-Vehicles-Tyres-/Choosing-a-Tyre/

lbSTnUk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

As someone who works in the area of approval of motor vehicle and parts for sale in Europe (including tyres) I can tell you that there is a huge range in performance of tyres that meet the requirements of regulation 30 (passenger cars) and 54 (commercial vehicles). The "cheap" manufacturers view the limits of those regulations as their "target for performance" and are just trying to make tyres as cheaply as possible that they can get e-marked and flog. The premium manufacturers do their best to develop tyres with the best grip achievable (yet for obvious reasons still within a particular budget). The limits allowed in those regulations are quite antiquated compared to what current tyre technology can actually achieve so yes, there is a huge difference in stopping performance between "good" tyres and "bad" tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

There could be a chance (an outside chance at that) of the council being responsible and/or contractor if there was poor repair of the road which caused the accident. They wouldn't be usually liable for ordinary damage caused by wear and tear potholes etc.Similarly there is a possible angle for a claim where poor workmanship causes excess water to gather on a section of road which causes thick ice to form. An engineer would need to be engaged to perform a skid resistance test I'd imagine, take measurements etc. Check out mis/mal/non
    feasance.

Also.....In Lewis v Cork County Council, Murphy J. held that “where a local authority engages in repairs….those repairs must be effective…..but to conduct or carry out a repair which is temporary and then not to follow up that repair to ensure that the danger did not re-emerge, must be taken as negligence by a local authority”

These resistance tests can be done on floors and footpaths id be surprised if it cant be done for roads. At the very least the material could be examined from sight. The op isnt clear if it was a repair job.
    Obviously your tyres would need to be examined too. If you genuinely believe the road caused this accident you should report the incident to the Council.
    Actually now that I think about it I've actually come across something broadly similar to the op.

*not to be taken as legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't forget too, that the specific tyre compound will have a huge affect on braking performance depending on the time of year. the same tyres that are great in summer, can be atrocious in colder conditions in the winter, even if there is no snow/rain/ice on the road.

the first car i bought in ireland (a knackered old fiesta) had terrible tyres on it that almost got me killed the first time i drove it in the rain. to tell the truth, i'd never given it much thought until then, it was a half decent car (for me, at the time), it had tread on the tyres and it had recently passed it's NCT with those tyres on it so i assumed it was all good.

however, one cold december day, driving slowly up a hill with a slight bend in it (behind a panel van and two other cars), all driving well within the speed limit, the back end (bearing in mind it was a front wheel drive car) just slid out on me and left me facing the other way on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend. if someone had been coming the other way, i could have been in a pretty severe accident.

that was the day i discovered that there is such a thing as (very) crappy asian tyres that should never be used on a car. since then i've always paid for decent tyres, as they are the thing that connects you to the road and you don't want that to be something that lets you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't forget too, that the specific tyre compound will have a huge affect on braking performance depending on the time of year. the same tyres that are great in summer, can be atrocious in colder conditions in the winter, even if there is no snow/rain/ice on the road.

the first car i bought in ireland (a knackered old fiesta) had terrible tyres on it that almost got me killed the first time i drove it in the rain. to tell the truth, i'd never given it much thought until then, it was a half decent car (for me, at the time), it had tread on the tyres and it had recently passed it's NCT with those tyres on it so i assumed it was all good.

however, one cold december day, driving slowly up a hill with a slight bend in it (behind a panel van and two other cars), all driving well within the speed limit, the back end (bearing in mind it was a front wheel drive car) just slid out on me and left me facing the other way on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend. if someone had been coming the other way, i could have been in a pretty severe accident.

that was the day i discovered that there is such a thing as (very) crappy asian tyres that should never be used on a car. since then i've always paid for decent tyres, as they are the thing that connects you to the road and you don't want that to be something that lets you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd love to do a proper survey of the "all tyres for sale in EU are perfectly adequate on damp roads" types. I have a sneaking suspicion that while believing that, they would never accept that a dacia sandero is just as good as a golf or a 1series. Or that a sonata is just the same as 5 series.

a poor tradesman blames his tools

op should have been taking more care with his driving and the crash would not have happened

if it were his tyres, sue the brand and take them out of circulation but thats never going to happen as its nothing got to do with the tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

All credit to Colin mccrae for winning all those rallies in a micra, wha?

Traction is sooooo overrated ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

op should have been taking more care with his driving and the crash would not have happened

if it were his tyres, sue the brand and take them out of circulation but thats never going to happen as its nothing got to do with the tyres

Ara jaysus.
    So you're saying any crash where you are not able to stop automatically means that the driver is at fault?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement