Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I know you're all waiting for the latest installment in this saga :)

Events centre launch is not election stunt, says Simon Coveney
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/events-centre-launch-is-not-election-stunt-says-simon-coveney-381003.html

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

They must've got Enda on a 2 for the price of 1 deal, he's doing the sod turning for the capital as well on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

calnand wrote: »
    They must've got Enda on a 2 for the price of 1 deal, he's doing the sod turning for the capital as well on Friday.

I'm surprised he's not turning the sod on the new Cork Limerick motorway as well.

The difference between the two couldn't be more stark. Capitol = real; Event Centre = not real.

I hear he's also launching Cork Prison tomorrow. Lots to do!

• Advertisement

Building to commence in 3-4 weeks. Open in 26 months according to this morning's statements.
    In fairness, this looks like a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

election in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Im back to being on the fence after this mornings event. BAM, Live Nation and the government all outlying their plans, they'd hardly all have to gawl to BS the entire city would they? Live Nation said there will be upto 200 event a year, BAM have moved onsite and ready to go, I'm bordering optimistic. I just hope it works out, it would be fantastic for a small city like Cork to have such a development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CHealy wrote: »
    Im back to being on the fence after this mornings event. BAM, Live Nation and the government all outlying their plans, they'd hardly all have to gawl to BS the entire city would they? Live Nation said there will be upto 200 event a year, BAM have moved onsite and ready to go, I'm bordering optimistic. I just hope it works out, it would be fantastic for a small city like Cork to have such a development.
    Agreed, Cork may be a small city but would love to see some stats on it's growth in recent years - there's been alot of development, particularly in the last two years and something like this should propel the city further.

Fingers crossed but I won't go holding my breath just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Agreed, Cork may be a small city but would love to see some stats on it's growth in recent years - there's been alot of development, particularly in the last two years and something like this should propel the city further.

Fingers crossed but I won't go holding my breath just yet

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    election in 2 weeks

I know, I know, but this morning's show of force is hardly JUST an election stunt. I think this project is (very belatedly) making progress. I could be wrong, but I'm a lot happier after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Anyone got pics of bam onsite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Thats only confirmation that they have left some Cabins there for pictures.
    advertising

Dbu wrote: »
    Thats only confirmation that they have left some Cabins there for pictures.
    advertising

Im only posting what Alan Healy Tweeted, and he's usually bang on when it comes to news in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

It's a case of boy who cried wolf at this stage. Can only hope it starts soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭ofcork

There is also a bam sign gone up outside the capitol are they going doing 2 places at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Yes they are, and I've heard the old tax offices are going to be demolished this year as well, so that's another project of theirs.

Yes they are, and I've heard the old tax offices are going to be demolished this year as well, so that's another project of theirs.

Really really really hope this is happening. A cynical thought entered my head could BAM use the beamish site as site offices for the presumingly space restricted Capital site .....I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Really really really hope this is happening. A cynical thought entered my head could BAM use the beamish site as site offices for the presumingly space restricted Capital site .....I hope not

I doubt it. That would be a logistical nightmare in itself, too far away from the Capitol for easy access. Even when they were working on One Albert Quay, they had their site offices just across the road in front of the Sextant. Call me a chronic optimist, but to me, it looks like this is finally going ahead.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

thomil wrote: »
    I doubt it. That would be a logistical nightmare in itself, too far away from the Capitol for easy access. Even when they were working on One Albert Quay, they had their site offices just across the road in front of the Sextant. Call me a chronic optimist, but to me, it looks like this is finally going ahead.

Time will tell on this one. Hopefully the next events centre threads will be about the traffic chaos at the neil young concert.

Were Live nation represented at the sod turning "Keep the recovery going event"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

whats the plan for the tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Were Live nation represented at the sod turning "Keep the recovery going event"

Yes.They hope to be having gigs in summer 2018 they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

whats the plan for the tax office

Office block and 180 bed hotel.Thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057348776

Any activity on site here since the sod turning event ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Any activity on site here since the sod turning event ??

nah nothing until the next election is called

Sods are still scattered across the site. They didn't even bother cleaning up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

If BAM don't get working on this between now and the re-election(Supposing it's a Hung Dáil) then I really can't see Simon getting through the next time. He surely couldn't stutter his way through another election..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

I just passed there today, they're definitely working on the site. Looks like they're preparing to tear down the modern warehouse to the right of the counting house. There was also some work being done on the counting house itself, apparently cabling of some sort. Small steps, but more activity than I've ever seen before on that site. I'll try to upload images later today.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement