Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I had to take a photo of her as she piled them into the boot.

Post it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Post it here!

Depends if she is good looking or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not sure if this counts as stingy, more like penny squeezing; my sister is a bit of a hoarder.

When I was helping her move house, I did whatever she said, no questions asked.... up until I was packing a bunch of sticks into her boot. A loose pile of sticks there was in her back garden. They could be used as firewood she said. At this point I had to ask her if she had always been bat**** insane or did it come on recently. I had to take a photo of her as she piled them into the boot.

Pics, or it never happened!:pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    Pics, or it never happened!:pac:

If those are my two choices, I made the whole thing up

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

I know a lad who would peel an orange in his pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Graces7 wrote: »
    vitamin supplements

Are a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Worked with a bloke who'd fill a hot water bottle with the instant hot water tap at work. Don't know if it was stingy or just strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Joo0 wrote: »
    Worked with a bloke who'd fill a hot water bottle with the instant hot water tap at work. Don't know if it was stingy or just strange.

Was the boss too stingy to turn on the heating?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Large gif. 47MB

One ticket please.
    http://asset-f.soupcdn.com/asset/15838/7531_f7d8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its such unappealing and unattractive trait in anyone.

I remember my father (generally a decent and good man) pulling a stingy move on my sister of all people. I'm in my 40's now and he's long dead but it always stuck with me. (i'd say I was younger than 10 at the time).

Maybe why thats why I hate meanness and while I never had a whole lot of money wouldn't be seen dead being tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Are a con.

Prove it! and at aldi prices? E1.49 for 120...Agree the expensive one are totally a con...when a diet is as restricted through illness as mine is....

Heckler wrote: »
    Its such unappealing and unattractive trait in anyone.

I remember my father (generally a decent and good man) pulling a stingy move on my sister of all people. I'm in my 40's now and he's long dead but it always stuck with me. (i'd say I was younger than 10 at the time).

Maybe why thats why I hate meanness and while I never had a whole lot of money wouldn't be seen dead being tight.

Depend on your defimition of " tight" and apart from the stealing from the breakfast buffet I have seen little "tightness" here; the Turkish salt was probably accidental .. I find sugar packets around my bag that have just been excess when someone has got coffee for me. I delight in saving money. But we call it being frugal not tight. I would have taken the wood too! Firewood is a terrible waste of good money. "Stingy" is often in the eyes of the beholder or recipient is it not? Having a delightfully frugal week here as did so well at the reduced counters on Tuesday and am washing by hand as I get free hot water atop the range and that saves using the machine , which is dead anyways. Ate yesterday for less than a euro the whole day..Good food too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Prove it! and at aldi prices? E1.49 for 120...Agree the expensive one are totally a con...when a diet is as restricted through illness as mine is....

When your doctor says you're not getting enough of x because of your diet, fine, take a supplement for it. For normally healthy people, multi-vitamin supplements mostly pass through your body without being absorbed.

Back to the stinge:
    When I was younger, I used to see an old guy (fairly well dressed) pick up cigarette butts around the bus stop on my way home from school. He'd take the small bit of tobacco out of the butt to fill his pipe.

When your doctor says you're not getting enough of x because of your diet, fine, take a supplement for it. For normally healthy people, multi-vitamin supplements mostly pass through your body without being absorbed.

Back to the stinge:
    When I was younger, I used to see an old guy (fairly well dressed) pick up cigarette butts around the bus stop on my way home from school. He'd take the small bit of tobacco out of the butt to fill his pipe.

Well OK, but that is an opinion not proof...And of course I have perforce due to illness a very limited diet. Easier that fusing just to take a supplement and at a cent a day,,,and certainly would not ask a dr; just common sense......... OH YUKK!! Just read your second para...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Well OK, but that is an opinion not proof...And of course I have perforce due to illness a very limited diet. Easier that fusing just to take a supplement and at a cent a day,,,and certainly would not ask a dr; just common sense......... OH YUKK!! Just read your second para...

Science confirms it

"The findings were also clear – there were no differences between the groups for any outcome at any evaluation, starting with the first cognitive assessment right through to the final assessment about a decade later."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Science confirms it

"The findings were also clear – there were no differences between the groups for any outcome at any evaluation, starting with the first cognitive assessment right through to the final assessment about a decade later."

Hardly an open and closed story though, even using that article. There are very good reasons for some people to take vitamin supplements. One of the opening sentences in there is

Not all vitamin and mineral supplementation is useless. They can be used appropriately, when our decisions are informed by scientific evidence:

seagull wrote: »
    Hardly an open and closed story though, even using that article. There are very good reasons for some people to take vitamin supplements. One of the opening sentences in there is

Not all vitamin and mineral supplementation is useless. They can be used appropriately, when our decisions are informed by scientific evidence:

Which entirely supports my previous statement. Now that we've cleared that up, let's move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The crux is 'when our decisions are informed by scientific evidence' not a self diagnosis. Also, There are vitamins and there are vitamins. People need to know which ones they actually require. Most of the cheap products have been shown to be quite useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

The crux is 'when our decisions are informed by scientific evidence' not a self diagnosis. Also, There are vitamins and there are vitamins. People need to know which ones they actually require. Most of the cheap products have been shown to be quite useless.

Ahhhhh give it a rest! Back to the stinge!!!!

And they are a safeguard when food intake is limited for any reason,, simple common sense and why seek any other reason? Diagnosis? What a fuss re a simple thing...Opps; forgot to take inexpensive German made excellent vitamin pill. thanks for the reminder..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Ok folks, enough about bloody vitamins. Go to the health sciences forum to discuss it(remember to follow their charter).

Now back to the stinge please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

Most of the vitamin supplements provide waaaay over your daily requirements and you literally piss the excess away, true story!

Edit: posted before I came to the mod post, sorry!

I've known lads that would buy the cheapest, nastiest beer to bring to house parties because 1: "get more cans for my money"
    2:"nobody will ask for 1/rob them" despite openingly admitting it tasted like stale piss.

Fcuk that, life's to short to drink ****€ beer... (and of course way later when everyone was pissed and the drink was running low and these lads still had a heap of cans, they WOULD of course get asked/robbed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    I've known lads that would buy the cheapest, nastiest beer to bring to house parties because 1: "get more cans for my money"
    2:"nobody will ask for 1/rob them" despite openingly admitting it tasted like stale piss.

Fcuk that, life's to short to drink ****€ beer... (and of course way later when everyone was pissed and the drink was running low and these lads still had a heap of cans, they WOULD of course get asked/robbed)

I am guilty of #1. Lidl's Excelsior, 79c a can I think? But tastes nice and as you said, gets ya drunk for less :D I also drink their Captain Morgan's knock off Captain Cook's, mixed with their cheap cola, which is NOT as good as Coca Cola but is the closest supermarket version to it that I've found, and I've been looking :D

Ok I am a stinge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Knew a guy once who told me he calculates the calories when buying food at a fast food place, not to make sure he's limiting his calorie intake but to ensure he was getting the most energy for his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When i was in university a friend of mine went shopping with her boyfriend, and he actually took out his calculator (actual calculator) in the middle of the shop to see which product was better value (cheaper per weight/volume, etc).

She was mortified to be seen with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Whyohwhy? wrote: »

I knew people like that in college. I know nobody is rolling in it when you're a student, but I'd rather spend the extra 2 quid to drink a beer I enjoy drinking. Some of the people I knew were proud of their tightness. Cheap crap for cans and some tesco cola for a mixer. All to save about two or three quid. Dicks.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I knew people like that in college. I know nobody is rolling in it when you're a student, but I'd rather spend the extra 2 quid to drink a beer I enjoy drinking. Some of the people I knew were proud of their tightness. Cheap crap for cans and some tesco cola for a mixer. All to save about two or three quid. Dicks.

I like tesco cola! Like all tesco everyday range!

NufcNavan wrote: »

Exactly, that said in the wee hours of a session, I'll drink pretty much anything. Malibu and 7 up, vodka and cream soda... Not recommended whatsoever. Absolutely vile. Only thing I will not touch though is cider, I'll go on the water or the before I'd touch that muck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Maybe not the absolute stingiest thing, but last year I went for dinner with a friend who was moving back to her home country the following day. When it came to paying the bill, there was a service charge of 10% because there were 6 of us and we'd booked the table on a busy night. Two of her friends, a couple, were the last to add their share and just as we were leaving, the waitress came back and said the bill was about a fiver short.
    Guy: "Yeah, that's cause of the service charge. Is it mandatory?"
    Waitress: "Well it's..."
    Guy: "Yeah, we're not paying it"
    And he and his gf walked out.

It was only later when I was talking to another friend that we realised that at least two of us had paid a bit extra (rounded up £18 to £20 or whatever), so not only had the couple not paid the service charge, they had not paid the full amount for their share of the meal either. Assholes. They suggested I meet up with them after my friend left and I was tragically very busy that week :pac:

Advertisement