Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Congrats to the high school on a great win today, gonna be tough final but great to see a tipp side in the A grade of munster schools football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good win for the Tipp footballers today,going well considering the players who are missing.

tippspur wrote: »
    Good win for the Tipp footballers today,going well considering the players who are missing.

The key to promotion is to beat the teams around us and Clare will be one of those teams. Kildare will prove a more difficult proposition. Up to second which is excellent. Seems to be a dog eat dog league so far with Home advantage being key.

Westmeath up next away
    Offaly at home on 6/3 same day as hurlers play Waterford
    Longford on Paddy's weekend away
    Then Kildare in Semple
    Finally a trip to Sligo on the last day

Realistically if the Commercials players aren't back in a fortnight then your looking at the Kildare game for them to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Westmeath up next away
    Then Kildare in Semple

Realistically if the Commercials players aren't back in a fortnight then your looking at the Kildare game for them to return.

I for one am hoping they won't be back, would be amazing to get a Tipp football team into another All Ireland Final !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Westmeath up next away
    Then Kildare in Semple

Regardless of how they get on in the semi, I wouldn't be playing them in the league, they will need a proper break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

danganabu wrote: »
    Regardless of how they get on in the semi, I wouldn't be playing them in the league, they will need a proper break.

Let the Clonmel Commercials manager and the players make that call.

There could be relegation or promotion issues at stake here.

Most of the players would love to playing Division Two Football next year.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

TippSHvDub– Gleeson; Barrett,Hamill,Cahill; BrMaher,Barry,PadMaher; Breen,DQuinn; DMcCormack,PatMaher,Forde; NMcGrath,Kenny,JMcGrath

Not a bad looking panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

GerB40 wrote: »
    TippSHvDub– Gleeson; Barrett,Hamill,Cahill; BrMaher,Barry,PadMaher; Breen,DQuinn; DMcCormack,PatMaher,Forde; NMcGrath,Kenny,JMcGrath

Not a bad looking panel

I notice that neither Bill Maher or Seamus Kennedy feature, in my opinion the two of them are more natural footballers.

I do realise that Seamus Kennedy will probably line out for Clonmel Commercials on Saturday !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great to see Noel McGrath start

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Great to see Noel McGrath start

+1

I noticed he looks fairly thin since his treatment. It must have really knocked the stuffing out of him as i can imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Strong team from tipp, Dublin usually flying this time of year and good value, should be a good game

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Xenophile wrote: »
    I notice that neither Bill Maher or Seamus Kennedy feature, in my opinion the two of them are more natural footballers.

I do realise that Seamus Kennedy will probably line out for Clonmel Commercials on Saturday !

Probably.....no definately....they wouldnt be in the All Ireland semi without him...has been amazing for them in every game !!!!

Also remember tickets in super valu and centra 10 euro, but 15 euro on the stiles

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Clonmel winning by 1 point at half time

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

2 Points up with 20 minutes to go, clonmel, much the better team. Goal could be crucial

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Draw, shocking decision by the goalkeeper to kick it long when they had to win possession.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some stuff from commercials to even get this far but that will certainly haunt them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus they must be sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Clonmel the better team in normal time but they didn't have the experience to see it out.

• Advertisement

Decent run out tonight in poor conditions. Still don't seem to have a centre forward. Dublin looked waay off. Good to see Noel back, looks to have lost some weight. Dubs will do well to avoid relegation based on tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Firstly, Commercials were in hard luck. They had a foot on Ballybodens throat but didnt have the guile or experience of the likes of Michael Daragh Macauley to press harder. i thought Quinlivan was starved of any decent ball and Clonmel were guilty of some overplaying but gave a great account of themselves overall. Its a pity but i think the experience will stand to them in time. They'll get another crack at it in the future im sure.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Decent run out tonight in poor conditions. Still don't seem to have a centre forward. Dublin looked waay off. Good to see Noel back, looks to have lost some weight. Dubs will do well to avoid relegation based on tonight.

I noticed that about Noel myself in a photo. he reminds me of a lad who has done a weight cut for a fight for all the world :P. Im not sure if his treatment had anything to do with it or if he has made lifestyle changes given his experience. He really put himself about tonight though. A fit Noel last year would have made a hell of a difference.

Tough conditions tonight for both sets of players. Eamon seemed to be content to do enough in the league as was Declan and Tommy before him but it would seem Michael Ryan like Sheedy is taking a more serious approach to the league.

Off to Nowlan park tomorrow,Tipp V KK always gets the juices going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thoughts on that result?
    To lose by 5 considering we led by a score with 3 to go very disappointing....

Thoughts on that result?
    To lose by 5 considering we led by a score with 3 to go very disappointing....

Bit of a collapse to be honest. Id have handled a one point defeat but we fell asunder. Still though, lots of hurling to be done and we'll improve as the year goes on. Id have loved at least a point for our efforts but in the end we left that door open and there was always that danger. its not so much our inability to win ball im disappointed with but our inability to read any breaks in the forwards. Our tackling was dreadful and we gave away countless needless frees in front of the post.

Yet another defeat to the cats,it would get you down tbh.Missed goal chances were our downfall while KK took theirs,also some of our 'star' players were well off the boil today.:(

tippspur wrote: »
    Yet another defeat to the cats,it would get you down tbh.Missed goal chances were our downfall while KK took theirs,also some of our 'star' players were well off the boil today.:(

The marking was woeful for Kevin Kellys goals and i felt Gleeson could have done better for the second at least. We didnt defend particularly bad throughout but completely lost our concentration toward the end.

If we meet again in the league we'll be sharper though, and i think we can and will beat them. That was a fairly trojan effort from them today whereas we were not at the races and yet we led for alot of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Think I'd disagree with the thrust of analysis on the game.
    Simply put, we took none of our goal chances, they took 2 of theirs.
    Fellas have been on about Eddie o Connor going on about bottle .....he's not far off the mark! Any time there was a pile up the cats always emerged with the ball.

The same failings are still there.
    1. We can't win our own ball in the half fwd line.
    2.Paudie maher is loose as ever and a free concession machine. Fair enough he does the booming clearances but he commits a few brain farts every game. He drove one ball across the pitch straight into a kk hand and over. He gave away another woeful foul soon after that was converted. He was a lucky boy when he broke the Hurley high on Reid in the first half.
    3. Fwds lacking the killer instinct if front of goal. For all Bonnars virtues, he's a woeful finisher when in on goal one on one with the keeper.

As a bye the way, just finished Brendan cummins book yesterday. Great read. Sound like the lads were almost brainwashed in 2009 and 2010. We haven't managed to re acquire it yet if ever. I'd be pessimistic of the year ahead but I welcome the change of tack regarding bringing in more physical lads to win the dirty ball. I'd drop Paudie just to give him a kick up the arse.

TJ Reid .....worth the admission alone to watch a guy like that. Amazing skill set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

digzy wrote: »
    Think I'd disagree with the thrust of analysis on the game.
    Simply put, we took none of our goal chances, they took 2 of theirs.
    Fellas have been on about Eddie o Connor going on about bottle .....he's not far off the mark! Any time there was a pile up the cats always emerged with the ball.

The same failings are still there.
    1. We can't win our own ball in the half fwd line.
    2.Paudie maher is loose as ever and a free concession machine. Fair enough he does the booming clearances but he commits a few brain farts every game. He drove one ball across the pitch straight into a kk hand and over. He gave away another woeful foul soon after that was converted. He was a lucky boy when he broke the Hurley high on Reid in the first half.
    3. Fwds lacking the killer instinct if front of goal. For all Bonnars virtues, he's a woeful finisher when in on goal one on one with the keeper.

As a bye the way, just finished Brendan cummins book yesterday. Great read. Sound like the lads were almost brainwashed in 2009 and 2010. We haven't managed to re acquire it yet if ever. I'd be pessimistic of the year ahead but I welcome the change of tack regarding bringing in more physical lads to win the dirty ball. I'd drop Paudie just to give him a kick up the arse.

TJ Reid .....worth the admission alone to watch a guy like that. Amazing skill set

Its hard not to be worried, its the League in Feb but tipp were winning with a few minutes to go but lost by 5.
    At this stage its gone beyond a joke and there is a certain sadness about it.
    Is there no end to being KKs bitch.

• Advertisement

Its hard not to be worried, its the League in Feb but tipp were winning with a few minutes to go but lost by 5.
    At this stage its gone beyond a joke and there is a certain sadness about it.
    Is there no end to being KKs bitch

We're relatively unlucky, at most we're naive. If we were awful we'd be getting hammered. I still think we can and will get it right. Perhaps im a foolish optimist but we were in greasy conditions without Seamie or Forde.

Credit to Kilkenny for their performance today but nothing suggests to me that we cant beat them come summer time when it actually matters. Hell we came centimetres away from it in 2014

Advertisement