Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The Broncos have signed Christian Ponder as QB insurance for Manning's injury.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Your D has deservedly earned itself a reputation for being dirty so I'd imagine the officials are watching more closely than normal and going to call every foul and lean in favour of the offensive players.

You got away with plenty earlier in the season so you've no right to moan when the officials don't call it against the other team now.

ha ha ha - a Pats fan complaining about people 'moaning' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Your D has deservedly earned itself a reputation for being dirty so I'd imagine the officials are watching more closely than normal and going to call every foul and lean in favour of the offensive players.

Really? I read a lot of articles, watch a lot of games and listen to a lot of podcasts during the season but I haven't heard this come up at all. Sure they are in the bottom 5 for a few of the non-technical penalties, but nothing egregious to suggest they are a dirty D.

Maybe the fact that they get so many QB pressures just naturally leads to lots of late hits/personal fouls being called the way QBs are protected these days.

Ah here's one, but it still doesn't point to a "dirty" defense imo. I'm not even sure such a thing could exist in today's NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Epic game
    Epic win
    That was as good as winning the SB
    Brock, you are the GOAT :D

Epic game
    Epic win
    Yes it was
    That was as good as winning the SB
    Ah - no - it was great to beat the Pats but it was not as good as winning the SB
    Brock, you are the GOAT :D
    He was impressive for his second start - showed a lot of composure and maturity.

It is clear that Os is better than Manning at the moment and gives the Broncos the best chance to win.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm not trying to put a dampener on it - it was a great win and I'll enjoy it for a while.

• Advertisement

An amazing season when you consider where we're at, ie. no 1 seed !!

Our offense has struggled on/off all season, 2 QB's & no definite starter, a run game that is either brilliant or nothing at all, etc. I actually think if we had clicked on offense we could be 15-1 or 16-0.

Our D has been immense, and deserving of an offense we had 2 years ago.

It's probable that we'll face the Steelers at MileHigh and I reckon we can beat them. Which QB to go with, well Oz played lights out for one half against them a while ago and then capitulated, so I reckon we start with Manning and if he's struggling then bring in Oz. Both QB's will be biting at the bit to get the win so it (bizarrely) might work out :eek: ie. will teams struggle to contain/plan-against both QB's ?!
    The last game was a perfect example where Oz wasn't performing very poorly but still we had a load of turnovers and only 7pts, then Manning comes in and doesn't do anything spectacular and yet we score 20 pts.

We could then end up playing the Chiefs as I reckon they're good enough to beat both the Texans and Patriots. If Manning is anyway back to form then he'll carve apart the Chiefs and our D will do the rest.

Oz has played above my expectations and the experience will bring him on for next year and I think he'll prove to be a very capable QB.

As regards the SB, it's hard to look past both the NFC teams, Seahawks and Panthers, as both are very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Have to say it's a massive risk starting Manning in the playoffs.
    There's an incredible amount of optimism by Broncos fans that he's now fully healthy and will be more like the old Manning than like the Manning that started this season.

Imo, Brock Osweiler gives the Broncos a much better shot at winning the Superbowl. As a Pats fan, I'm not complaining though. :)

Elway and Kubiak really had no option but to start Manning. If Osweiler was to start at QB and the Broncos were to lose then the media hype about leaving Manning sitting on the bench would have done serious damage to the team.

I also think that it was necessary to start Manning for locker room morale - Manning is still highly respected and if he was left on the bench after playing last Sunday it would not have gone down well in the Broncos locker room.

I don't think that Manning playing is the best chance the Broncos have of making progress in the play-offs but I am not convinced he isn't either. He will have two more weeks of rest and he has played reasonably well when he has had time to rest and recover. He could play well enough for the Broncos to get to the AFC championship game - whether he starts that one is a different story altogether.

To be honest - who starts at QB for the Broncos is not going to be the key to the Broncos success this season - as long as Manning acts as game manager (like he did on Sunday) and he does not try to be the Manning of old. The key for the Broncos is being able to run the ball and the defence playing in an elite fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I also think that it was necessary to start Manning for locker room morale - Manning is still highly respected and if he was left on the bench after playing last Sunday it would not have gone down well in the Broncos locker room.

I don't think that Manning playing is the best chance the Broncos have of making progress in the play-offs but I am not convinced he isn't either. He will have two more weeks of rest and he has played reasonably well when he has had time to rest and recover. He could play well enough for the Broncos to get to the AFC championship game - whether he starts that one is a different story altogether.

Yet you say this around 6 weeks ago:

"All the reports coming from the Broncos locker room are that the Broncos players don't want Manning back. They see Osweiler as a team player who will not try and do things he cannot do whereas Manning cannot dump the ego attitude that he has to be the one who wins the game. The players have responded to Osweiler and his calm approach - Osweiler apparently had a major impact when giving the motivational speech to the players before the Bears game - rather than the abrasive, blame everyone but himself that the players believe that Manning adopts."

I am not trying to be smart or catch you out...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.

D9Male wrote: »
    ...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.

I think that's an interesting Q, for example Demaryius is jumping for joy but Sanders (who struggles to connect with Peyton on deep balls) is crying into his soup !

JRG is right though, running the ball is a key factor and if that can be stopped then we're goosed !!

It's also official now, Peyton is starting.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    Yet you say this around 6 weeks ago:

I am not trying to be smart or catch you out...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.
    Six weeks is a long time and the Manning of last Sunday is not the Manning of six weeks ago - and awful lot has happened (not least the whole controversy over HGH).

Specifically - Manning had to accept for the first time in his career that he was a back-up behind a player who had six starts in the NFL and when he came into the game he had to play as a game manager rather than 'Manning ball' - it can be a humbling experience. Kubiak has yanked him once and Manning will be under no doubt that if he doesn't do the job expected then he could end his career being pulled out of a game. If people have listened to any of Manning's interveiws over the past couple of weeks and his whole demeanour - it is a different Manning.

Injury reports from Broncos training yesterday - Brock Osweiler didn't practice with a sprained knee.
    Along with Osweiler, cornerback Chris Harris, safeties T.J. Ward and Darian Stewart, tight end Owen Daniels and linebackers DeMarcus Ware, Shaquil Barrett, Todd Davis and Brandon Marshall did not participate in practice Thursday.

That is a seriously depleted defensive side of the ball.

Injury reports from Broncos training yesterday -
    That is a seriously depleted defensive side of the ball.

I'm guessing that report will improve by this time next week. Fingers crossed Ware is near 100%, I see the following update: MRI on linebacker DeMarcus Ware's knee comes back clean, expects to pay in divisional round. Harris by all accounts is good to go aswell.

Just read about Oz : according to an interview he has bruised ribs, partially separated shoulder and an elbow injury on his throwing arm plus the sprained MCL. When asked to clarify the injuries Kubiak simply stated he didn't have to provide an injury report as we aren't playing this week. He was held out of practice and they will proceed as the injuries dictate.
    Sounds like he is pretty banged up right now !

Sounds like he is pretty banged up right now !

Kubiak flagged the beating Osweiler was taking four weeks ago - and it was down to two things - and atrocious OL with Schoefield allowing every donkey on the field run around him and hammer the QB - and Osweiler holding onto the ball too long (an issue for every newly starting QB)

It is quite possible that the reason why Kubiak decide to yank Osweiler against the Chargers was because of the beating he has been taking. The Broncos are better running the ball with Osweiler and putting Polumbus at RT was to help the run game. When Manning came in he played the majority of the snaps under centre.

Derek Wolfe has signed a four year contract extension.

Delighted with this - Wolfe is a blue-collar guy who gives 100% on every play.

First piece of the FA jigsaw for the Broncos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Decent performance last night. It took forever to get the Offense going but CJ Anderson is starting to show signs of life, with the difference this season being that Hillman is also contributing massively.

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League, I cannot wait for Miller to put Brady on his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sportzstar wrote: »
    Decent performance last night. It took forever to get the Offense going but CJ Anderson is starting to show signs of life, with the difference this season being that Hillman is also contributing massively.

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League, I cannot wait for Miller to put Brady on his arse.
    You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe that Patriots fans think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League

Show me one quote from any Pats fan in here especially that shows we think the game will be a cakewalk. Any Pats fan that thinks that is deluded and most likely a mouthy bandwagon fan like those muppets you see comment on Facebook posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

20121223__von-miller-wink-broncos-122312~p1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Congrats on the win guys, Miller and Ware made our patchwork OL look like children out there last night.

Good luck in the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a shame Spiralism doesn't get on here any more. It would be have been brilliant reading his thoughts throughout the season, especially on Manning. :)

Jesus this is a long week. Getting very excited.

Emmanuel%20Sanders%209%2011.JPG

temp141212_LG005--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

COME ON !! ...we can do this :cool:

As Coldplay might say: ...never say die, my Army of One (D) is gonna fight for you

/just getting hyped now :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a shame Spiralism doesn't get on here any more. It would be have been brilliant reading his thoughts throughout the season, especially on Manning. :)

He's here in a (postive) 'spirit', I can just feel it :)

Von_Miller_Fox_Hat_Broncos_Picture_Video_Feet.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Quick drop in to say congrats guys. Fully deserved win. Keep that D and ye'll have a shot again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Congrats guys best team won the bowl this year well deserved win. That defense and Von Miller are insane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What type of contract do you lads expect Miller to get?

What type of contract do you lads expect Miller to get?

He will be the highest paid pass rusher in the NFL

• Advertisement

Keep that D and ye'll have a shot again next year.

We will lose Jackson and Trevathan - and possibly Talib and Ware

Travethan will be replaced by Todd Davis (ILB is not a crucial position in the Phillips scheme)

Jackson will be replaced by Kenny Anunike who will be coming back off IR

Talib will be replaced by Roby at starting CB and Webster will come in as the nickelback.

The Broncos have Barrett and Ray at OLB who would both start on both teams.

The interesting developments next year will be on the offence

On the OL
    Clady will have his contract restructured and come back from IR at LT
    Sambrailo will be back from IR at RT
    Schofield will shift to G
    Paradis and Garcia will return

The line will be a year older - the pieces for the ZBS will be in place (unlike this year) and the running game will be much more effective.

Heuerman will be back at TE and was drafted to play in Kubiak's WCO - he will join Daniels and Green. Thomas and Sanders will be joined with a much more effective Latimer, Fowler and Norwood at WR. Anderson will make hay in the ZBS - he is the perfect back for the scheme. The big question is at QB - The Broncos will go with Osweiler unless someone throws a ridiculous amount of money at him (which could happen) - the next option is Siemian who (as I mentioned above) the Broncos coaches are very high on - they regard him as a smarter version of Osweiler who just lacks the experience.

The Broncos will draft for depth with a priority at Safety.

The Broncos defence will probably take a small step back but I expect the offence to take a big step up if they get the right QB in place. Elway has done a fantastic job as GM and is setting things up to keep the Broncos as perennial contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Congrats on the win lads. :)

Who'd have thought back in 2012 when Manning went to Denver and that year they gave up 38 to the Ravens and the next season 43 to the Seahawks in the big one that the defense would be what would eventually get them over the line? I'm really happy for Kubiak too after his stint at the Ravens last year.

As a huge fan of defense, your defense was a pleasure to watch all year.

Paully D wrote: »
    Congrats on the win lads. :)

Who'd have thought back in 2012 when Manning went to Denver and that year they gave up 38 to the Ravens and the next season 43 to the Seahawks in the big one that the defense would be what would eventually get them over the line? I'm really happy for Kubiak too after his stint at the Ravens last year.

As a huge fan of defense, your defense was a pleasure to watch all year.

Cheers everyone
    and I echo that sentiment 100%, an absolute pleasure watching the D in action, such professionalism on every play. The way they dismantled the Patriots and the Panthers was unreal.

Roll on next year. :D

Broncos free agents

I would expect the Broncos to re-sign all the ERFAs and RFAs on the list. Von will be tagged if a deal isn't done in time. Manning out will give $19million in cap space.

Von Miller OLB 26 DEN TBD $9,754,000 UFA
    Evan Mathis G 34 DEN TBD $2,921,875 UFA
    Vernon Davis TE 32 DEN TBD $2,477,941 UFA
    Antonio Smith DE 34 DEN TBD $2,000,000 UFA
    David Bruton SS 28 DEN TBD $1,650,000 UFA
    Malik Jackson DE 26 DEN TBD $1,595,403 UFA
    Danny Trevathan ILB 25 DEN TBD $1,568,018 UFA
    Andre Caldwell WR 30 DEN TBD $1,550,000 UFA
    Ryan Harris LT 30 DEN TBD $1,420,000 UFA
    Brock Osweiler QB 25 DEN TBD $1,118,944 UFA
    Ronnie Hillman RB 24 DEN TBD $942,708 UFA
    Omar Bolden FS 27 DEN TBD $778,607 UFA
    Jordan Norwood WR 29 DEN TBD $745,000 UFA
    C.J. Anderson RB 24 DEN TBD $589,167 RFA
    Brandon Marshall ILB 26 DEN TBD $585,000 RFA
    Lerentee McCray OLB 25 DEN TBD $515,668 RFA
    Brandon McManus K 24 DEN TBD $510,000 ERFA
    Todd Davis ILB 23 DEN TBD $510,000 ERFA
    Tyler Polumbus LT 30 DEN TBD $481,764 UFA
    Bennie Fowler WR 24 DEN TBD $435,000 ERFA
    Matt Paradis C 26 DEN TBD $435,000 ERFA
    Kyle Williams WR 27 DEN TBD $348,000 UFA
    Sam Brenner C 25 DEN TBD $210,000 ERFA
    Josh Bush SS 26 DEN TBD $194,117 RFA
    Shiloh Keo SS 28 DEN TBD $137,647 UFA

We will lose Jackson and Trevathan - and possibly Talib and Ware

Travethan will be replaced by Todd Davis (ILB is not a crucial position in the Phillips scheme)

If we lose Trevathan and Ware then that's a big blow.

There will obviously be a lot in interest in what Manning does !

If we lose Trevathan and Ware then that's a big blow.

We have ready made replacements - Davis will replace Trevathan and Barrett and Ray will fill the gap for Ware.

Jackson will be replaced by Anunike when he come back from IR and Roby will step up to starting corner.

All four likely losses in defence have replacements in-house.

• Advertisement

We have ready made replacements - Davis will replace Trevathan and Barrett and Ray will fill the gap for Ware.

Jackson will be replaced by Anunike when he come back from IR and Roby will step up to starting corner.

All four likely losses in defence have replacements in-house.

Replacements are all well and good, but when a defence is truly elite any change can impact that.
    Ware is HoF player who is having a true renaissance, with time to gameplan for Ray and Shaq teams will be able to manage them better. Hopefully they can step up but there is no guarantee of that.

Anunike has shown flashes, but so far cannot stay on the field.

The way we play, we need 3 top corners, but Talib is still under contract and still playing up to that contract in my opinion so I'd say he gets kept.

Danny T I don't believe is so easy to replace. He stops the run, he tackles like crazy and he seems to be a real emotional leader. He'll probably be too expensive to keep, but he will be a loss.

Hopefully Elway and co can draft well and pick up some overlooked free agents.
    But, with all of our Superbowl winning free agents on the block we are at risk of having a diminished defence, still very good, but not necessarily league best.
    Obviously league best would be great to settle in a new QB.

dub_skav wrote: »
    Replacements are all well and good, but when a defence is truly elite any change can impact that.

yep, I echo all those sentiments and believe if we go with Oz next year we still need an elite D to do a double.

I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the ramifications of managing the cap but from what I can see, there should be a way of keeping the defence intact for the most part.

Manning retirement or release frees $19m
    Clady won't be back, or if he is, will be at a much-reduced rate. That's another $9m
    ... and a decision needs to come about Ware which may bring another $10m relief (Personally I would like to see us retain Ware for another year - I know he was injury-prone, but he was lights out in the playoffs and has such a strong relationship with Miller. Maybe he would consider redoing his deal for another shot at the Super bowl with us in 2016)
    Probably a decision will be made to retain Evan Mathis or Louis Vasquez but not both.

I'm looking at that $15m cap hit for D Thomas and not liking the value we are getting for it. Not a good sign he completely disappeared in the playoffs and to think he is receiving Julio Jones/Dez Bryant-type money.

Even with the same personnel it would be difficult to repeat the elite performance of this season - every player is a year older and transition is inevitable.
    Ware is HoF player who is having a true renaissance, with time to gameplan for Ray and Shaq teams will be able to manage them better. Hopefully they can step up but there is no guarantee of that.
    Ware could well retire - he is 33 - he came to Denver to win a ring which he now has - and he has suffered several back injuries.

As for Ray and Shaq - both have continued to improve and would probably start on other teams - when Ware missed 5 games, including the Pats game, the defence continued to play at a high level.
    Anunike has shown flashes, but so far cannot stay on the field.
    Anunike missed his rookie season with an elbow injury and this season with a knee injury. If it was a recurrence then I would be concerned - he has just been unlucky. Now the Broncos won't rely on Anunike - they will sign a vet FA - and Denver is a prime spot for FAs now.
    The way we play, we need 3 top corners, but Talib is still under contract and still playing up to that contract in my opinion so I'd say he gets kept.
    Talib is the most likely to be back - he cap number is manageable - but he is getting more prone to mad actions like the 15yd taunting penalty during the SB. Denver does need 3 CBs - but again some transition on defence is inevitable and Elway will get it sorted.
    Danny T I don't believe is so easy to replace. He stops the run, he tackles like crazy and he seems to be a real emotional leader. He'll probably be too expensive to keep, but he will be a loss.
    I actually disagree - Trevathan is by far and away the easiest player on the defence to replace. ILB is the easiest position to fill in the defensive scheme run by Phillips and Trevathan has had serious injury problems - specifically kneecap and concussion problems. From a Broncos perspective he will be far too expensive to retain. Davis and Nelson will compete for the spot and I expect either to be more than adequate to fill in at ILB
    Hopefully Elway and co can draft well and pick up some overlooked free agents.
    But, with all of our Superbowl winning free agents on the block we are at risk of having a diminished defence, still very good, but not necessarily league best.
    It is inevitable that the defence will take a step back next year - I don't expect it to be too big a step. However, with Manning gone and the full installation of Kubiak's WCO I expect the offence to take a big step forward which will more than offset any step back by the defence. This team has the potential to repeat next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

poldebruin wrote: »
    Clady won't be back, or if he is, will be at a much-reduced rate. That's another $9m
    ... and a decision needs to come about Ware which may bring another $10m relief (Personally I would like to see us retain Ware for another year - I know he was injury-prone, but he was lights out in the playoffs and has such a strong relationship with Miller. Maybe he would consider redoing his deal for another shot at the Super bowl with us in 2016)
    Probably a decision will be made to retain Evan Mathis or Louis Vasquez but not both.

Manning's retirement won't free $19m to spend on other positions, as you will need to sign his replacement and somebody to back him up. Brock Osweiler is an unrestricted free agent, he earned $1.1m last year but will definitely be looking for something in the $10m-$15m range, then it depends whether his replacement at backup QB earns more or less than Osweiler did last year.

If Clady returns it might be at a reduced rate, but it will no doubt be incentive laden based on actual playing time and if he doesn't return you are left looking at the cost of a quality free agent LT, unless you use a high draft pick instead(and the Broncos are picking 31st(as the Patriots have no first round pick)).

A big obstacle to the Broncos repeating, apart from any loss of important free agents, is that the Chiefs will have Jamaal Charles and Justin Houston back to full fitness.The Raiders are continuing to improve having split their games against Denver last season and the Chargers surely won't be as poor again, meaning that the AFC West could be very competitive, which could affect the winners' chances of getting home field advantage in the playoffs. And no team in the NFL has a home field advantage like the mile high altitude gives Denver.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the ramifications of managing the cap but from what I can see, there should be a way of keeping the defence intact for the most part.
    The most important thing to remember is that Elway will not overpay for any player (with the possible exception of Miller)

The Broncos currently have $12million in cap space - although the $5million bonus to Manning for winning the SB will impact on this.
    Up to $31million
    Clady has already indicated he is willing to take a cut. He has made $20million while out injured. I expect Clady to return as LT - he was originally drafted to play in ZBS by Shanahan and is ideally suited to play LT for Kubiak. I would expect his cap to be around $4million - if not he will be released. Assuming he comes back that's $6million in cap space

Up to $37million
    The reason why I think that Ware will be cut if he doesn't retire is that the Broncos have 25 FAs and a lot of holes to fill - Elway needs the money

Up to $47million
    Mathis improved as the year went on - he was hurt all season long. Vasquez was brought in by Fox to play in a power scheme - he is not suited to ZBS. Cutting Vasquez would save $4million - but trading him would result in a $6.5million saving - and Vasquez is still a good player with a cap friendly contract.
    I'm looking at that $15m cap hit for D Thomas and not liking the value we are getting for it. Not a good sign he completely disappeared in the playoffs and to think he is receiving Julio Jones/Dez Bryant-type money.
    I think DT will bounce back - every WR has iffy times during their career - next year with another bump in the cap DTs contract will actually be very team friendly. The problem is this - cutting DT would cost $22million in dead cap space. Even if he was traded he would have to be replaced. Sanders is not good enough to go up against the No.1 DB every week - he does not have the physicality. Finding an adequate replacement for DT would probably cost an arm and a leg.

Now $47million will not go very far -

$5million for rookie contracts
    $18million for Miller

Leaves $24million for everything else.

heyjude wrote: »
    Manning's retirement won't free $19m to spend on other positions, as you will need to sign his replacement and somebody to back him up. Brock Osweiler is an unrestricted free agent, he earned $1.1m last year but will definitely be looking for something in the $10m-$15m range, then it depends whether his replacement at backup QB earns more or less than Osweiler did last year.
    Yes - a QB has to be brought in - The Broncos will probably pay Os $10million - but some daft GM may throw a lot more than that at him. And a vet will have to be paid.

I have outlined above what the situation is and there will have to be some imagination by Elway to fill the roster.
    If Clady returns it might be at a reduced rate, but it will no doubt be incentive laden based on actual playing time and if he doesn't return you are left looking at the cost of a quality free agent LT, unless you use a high draft pick instead(and the Broncos are picking 31st(as the Patriots have no first round pick)).
    If Clady returns he plays LT and Sambrailo will play RT - if Clady is cut Sambrailo will play LT. In the second scenario Elway will sign a FA RT.
    A big obstacle to the Broncos repeating, apart from any loss of important free agents, is that the Chiefs will have Jamaal Charles and Justin Houston back to full fitness.The Raiders are continuing to improve having split their games against Denver last season and the Chargers surely won't be as poor again, meaning that the AFC West could be very competitive, which could affect the winners' chances of getting home field advantage in the playoffs. And no team in the NFL has a home field advantage like the mile high altitude gives Denver.
    I want the AFC West to get better - the better the competition the better it will make the Broncos. As regards the others - I expect the Raiders to be the most improved - particularly if they get either Jackson and/or Trevathan (JDR has indicated he wants both - as has Fox). I think the Chiefs are overhyped and are not as good as this season suggests - and the Chargers will continue to struggle (their owners are the biggest impediment to their improvement).

The Broncos offence will be significantly better next season and I believe the team will be good enough to compete with any other team in the NFL.

I think DT will bounce back - every WR has iffy times during their career - next year with another bump in the cap DTs contract will actually be very team friendly. The problem is this - cutting DT would cost $22million in dead cap space. Even if he was traded he would have to be replaced. Sanders is not good enough to go up against the No.1 DB every week - he does not have the physicality. Finding an adequate replacement for DT would probably cost an arm and a leg.

I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. For a (marquee) player to drop completely off the radar, during a successful Super Bowl run does not bode well for me at all, not just 1 game, but 3 playoff games including the Super Bowl! (not to mention he dropped off halfway through the year as well. That Patriots game at Mile High in the regular season - I have never seen anything like that before)

I know we are stuck with him, releasing is not an option (too much promise/upside, too much money, too much admission of mistake by GM. We are pot-commited to Thomas for the next couple of years)

Regarding a trade, you would essentially just be trying to offload his contract onto someone else, you would get nothing of value in return.
    Now $47million will not go very far -
    $5million for rookie contracts
    $18million for Miller
    Leaves $24million for everything else.

True, but there are normally some moves at the mid-tail end of the roster, restructurings along with other options that we haven't really discussed; Colquitt, Daniels, Virgil Green which can all add up.

Ware is a close call, I can see he will be on the downside of his career now, injuries more likely, but the leadership he brings, and Von Miller seems to love having him around, I would like him to come back for another year at a reduced rate. I suppose the call will be his if he wants to stay to try for another ring on a top 3 AFC contending team, and the chance to play on what might be an all-time defense, or would he rather go for one last big payday elsewhere.

Yes - a QB has to be brought in - The Broncos will probably pay Os $10million - but some daft GM may throw a lot more than that at him. And a vet will have to be paid.

I think Cleveland might make overtures for Osweiler and probably overpay (take a chance) . A red flag, imo, is the fact that Elway supposedly tried to trade for Tyrod Taylor this last offseason suggests they are not totally comfortable with Brock. To me, he did not show as much as someone like Cousins in Washington, for example, who took all the snaps and led a marginal team to the playoffs (albeit in a weak division)

which brings me to.....

I want the AFC West to get better - the better the competition the better it will make the Broncos.

I know you have said before that "Iron sharpens iron", but you just need to look at what having a weak division can do for you by looking at what the Patriots have achieved in the East over the last 15 years. No challenger means - 13 divisional titles and 14 playoff births....14 chances to win the Super Bowl, with 10 of those being a #1 or #2 seed which means home field for at least 1 playoff game.

#1 or 2 seeds have won 66% of the last 30 Super Bowls. So while it does seem to pay to be battle tested (2013 broncos, 2015 Panthers!) I think once you are playing a first place schedule, you can still benefit from having tough games, along with some easier wins against divisional rivals.
    The Broncos offence will be significantly better next season and I believe the team will be good enough to compete with any other team in the NFL.

Agree, the offense should be streets ahead of where it was this year. Even a regression to the mean would be a huge improvement! Personally I would like us to take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick if Osweiler goes elsewhere.

I was surprised to see the odds for next years Super Bowl have; New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, Dallas(!), Arizona, Denver in that order - which to my mind seems a little strange.

I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. For a (marquee) player to drop completely off the radar, during a successful Super Bowl run does not bode well for me at all, not just 1 game, but 3 playoff games including the Super Bowl! (not to mention he dropped off halfway through the year as well. That Patriots game at Mile High in the regular season - I have never seen anything like that before)
    Every WR - elite or not - can have a down season. Thomas has not played at elite level this season - but some of his catches have been crucial in games this season.

Thomas forces defences to account for him - doing anything like cutting or trading him requires his replacement and it would be difficult to get anything like Thomas (despite his relatively poor season) at a reasonable price.

I expect Thomas to bounce back - and if he does then his contract will be seen as very team friendly.
    True, but there are normally some moves at the mid-tail end of the roster, restructurings along with other options that we haven't really discussed; Colquitt, Daniels, Virgil Green which can all add up.
    Colquitt could be cut - his contract is worth $3.25million - but he was crucial for field position during the play-offs. I expect some negotiations on his contract but think he will stay.

Daniels could be cut and I think that will depend on how Heuerman returns from his injury. The coaches were high on Heuerman and what he could bring as a receiving TE.

Green is going nowhere - he is crucial as a blocking TE and has made some important receptions. As Kubiak fully installs the ZBS Green will become even more important.
    Ware is a close call, I can see he will be on the downside of his career now, injuries more likely, but the leadership he brings, and Von Miller seems to love having him around, I would like him to come back for another year at a reduced rate. I suppose the call will be his if he wants to stay to try for another ring on a top 3 AFC contending team, and the chance to play on what might be an all-time defense, or would he rather go for one last big payday elsewhere.
    I would love Ware to be back - but he did struggle with injuries and has ongoing back problems. If he is cut it will be because the Broncos need the $10million - not because they don't want him. But I am actually expecting Ware to retire.

I think Cleveland might make overtures for Osweiler and probably overpay (take a chance) . A red flag, imo, is the fact that Elway supposedly tried to trade for Tyrod Taylor this last offseason suggests they are not totally comfortable with Brock. To me, he did not show as much as someone like Cousins in Washington, for example, who took all the snaps and led a marginal team to the playoffs (albeit in a weak division)
    I don't think Elway is completely sold on Osweiler - but he did draft him and has kept him for four years. The big question is how much it will cost to keep him.

I know you have said before that "Iron sharpens iron", but you just need to look at what having a weak division can do for you by looking at what the Patriots have achieved in the East over the last 15 years. No challenger means - 13 divisional titles and 14 playoff births....14 chances to win the Super Bowl, with 10 of those being a #1 or #2 seed which means home field for at least 1 playoff game.
    Home field advantage was crucial this season - if the Broncos had to travel this year they would in all likelihood not have reached the SB. But the Broncos have also won the SB on the road.

I want the Broncos playing competitive games every week - I want to see a strong AFC West - I want to see the Broncos beat the best and win the SB. That is just me.

Agree, the offense should be streets ahead of where it was this year. Even a regression to the mean would be a huge improvement! Personally I would like us to take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick if Osweiler goes elsewhere.
    I think Fitzpatrick could be on Elway's radar - but if Os does go elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos going with Siemian. They really are that high on what the kid can do - he has been impressive all season and he has huge upside.
    I was surprised to see the odds for next years Super Bowl have; New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, Dallas(!), Arizona, Denver in that order - which to my mind seems a little strange.
    I love being the underdog - bring it on. :D

So out goes a few very good defensive players and also our 2 QB's, I'm not surprised we're not favs for the SB.

In comes Sanchez, but I would like to see Kaepernik come to Denver, I reckon he would fit in well and the experience of him being in a SB is a big plus. I wouldn't fancy RG3, I just think he's more of an individualist and a loose cannon.

Our 2016 schedule:
    Home: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers
    Away: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars, Titans, Bengals, Saints, Buccaneers

Some tasty home games ;)

We have 10 picks in this year's draft:
    Round 1: Pick 31
    Round 2: Pick 63
    Round 3: Pick 94
    Round 3: Pick 98 (compensatory)
    Round 4: Pick 136 (compensatory)
    Round 5: Pick 144 (from Baltimore in Gino Gradkowski trade)
    Round 6: Pick 219 (compensatory)
    Round 7: Pick 228 (from San Francisco in Vernon Davis trade)
    Round 7: Pick 235 (from Los Angeles via Houston in Chris Clark trade)
    Round 7: Pick 253

So out goes a few very good defensive players and also our 2 QB's, I'm not surprised we're not favs for the SB.
    To be honest - none of the teams that could be considered SB contenders have done much in FA.

I think people are over-estimating the impact of the loss of Trevathan and Jackson. Davis will step into the ILB spot with little difficulty (and did sub for Trevathan during the season). Anunike was showing promise before ending up on IR and could step in for Jackson - and if he doesn't this draft is deep in DL.

On defence the one player I would like to see back is Bruton - he is a leader in the locker room and the Broncos don't have anyone to replace him in the back-up safety position. I don't think the Broncos can afford the $5million he would be expected to get - but he will have to be replaced in FA or the draft.

As for the loss of Osweiler - the more I look at what he brings and the more I learn about his attitude behind the scenes - the more I am happy he is gone. I think Sanchez could be comparable with Osweiler without the attitude and massively cheaper.
    In comes Sanchez, but I would like to see Kaepernik come to Denver, I reckon he would fit in well and the experience of him being in a SB is a big plus. I wouldn't fancy RG3, I just think he's more of an individualist and a loose cannon.
    The more I look at this the more I think that Kap will go to Cleveland - he will have to take a pay cut to come to Denver and he would be dumped quickly by Elway if he wasn't up to the job (which I think he might not be up to) whereas Cleveland would pay him and they would be stuck with him.
    Our 2016 schedule:
    Home: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers
    Away: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars, Titans, Bengals, Saints, Buccaneers

Some tasty home games ;)
    I am particularly looking forward to Brock Osweiler getting to know Von Miller veeerrrrryyyyyyy well :D
    We have 10 picks in this year's draft:
    Round 1: Pick 31
    Round 2: Pick 63
    Round 3: Pick 94
    Round 3: Pick 98 (compensatory)
    Round 4: Pick 136 (compensatory)
    Round 5: Pick 144 (from Baltimore in Gino Gradkowski trade)
    Round 6: Pick 219 (compensatory)
    Round 7: Pick 228 (from San Francisco in Vernon Davis trade)
    Round 7: Pick 235 (from Los Angeles via Houston in Chris Clark trade)
    Round 7: Pick 253
    Wouldn't be surprised if Elway trades out of the 1st for an extra pick and get what he needs with two 2nds and two 3rds (and he may trade back up into the 2nd or 3rd if he sees value there).

Just read that when Elway inquired about Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay asked for a 2nd

Elway went out and got Sanchez so that he couldn't be help hostage by teams who thought he was 'desperate' for a QB

Good move by Elway

Ware takes a pay cut and saves the Broncos $4million on the cap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement