Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The Broncos have signed Christian Ponder as QB insurance for Manning's injury.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Your D has deservedly earned itself a reputation for being dirty so I'd imagine the officials are watching more closely than normal and going to call every foul and lean in favour of the offensive players.

You got away with plenty earlier in the season so you've no right to moan when the officials don't call it against the other team now.

ha ha ha - a Pats fan complaining about people 'moaning' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Your D has deservedly earned itself a reputation for being dirty so I'd imagine the officials are watching more closely than normal and going to call every foul and lean in favour of the offensive players.

Really? I read a lot of articles, watch a lot of games and listen to a lot of podcasts during the season but I haven't heard this come up at all. Sure they are in the bottom 5 for a few of the non-technical penalties, but nothing egregious to suggest they are a dirty D.

Maybe the fact that they get so many QB pressures just naturally leads to lots of late hits/personal fouls being called the way QBs are protected these days.

Ah here's one, but it still doesn't point to a "dirty" defense imo. I'm not even sure such a thing could exist in today's NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Epic game
    Epic win
    That was as good as winning the SB
    Brock, you are the GOAT :D

Epic game
    Epic win
    Yes it was
    That was as good as winning the SB
    Ah - no - it was great to beat the Pats but it was not as good as winning the SB
    Brock, you are the GOAT :D
    He was impressive for his second start - showed a lot of composure and maturity.

It is clear that Os is better than Manning at the moment and gives the Broncos the best chance to win.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm not trying to put a dampener on it - it was a great win and I'll enjoy it for a while.

• Advertisement

An amazing season when you consider where we're at, ie. no 1 seed !!

Our offense has struggled on/off all season, 2 QB's & no definite starter, a run game that is either brilliant or nothing at all, etc. I actually think if we had clicked on offense we could be 15-1 or 16-0.

Our D has been immense, and deserving of an offense we had 2 years ago.

It's probable that we'll face the Steelers at MileHigh and I reckon we can beat them. Which QB to go with, well Oz played lights out for one half against them a while ago and then capitulated, so I reckon we start with Manning and if he's struggling then bring in Oz. Both QB's will be biting at the bit to get the win so it (bizarrely) might work out :eek: ie. will teams struggle to contain/plan-against both QB's ?!
    The last game was a perfect example where Oz wasn't performing very poorly but still we had a load of turnovers and only 7pts, then Manning comes in and doesn't do anything spectacular and yet we score 20 pts.

We could then end up playing the Chiefs as I reckon they're good enough to beat both the Texans and Patriots. If Manning is anyway back to form then he'll carve apart the Chiefs and our D will do the rest.

Oz has played above my expectations and the experience will bring him on for next year and I think he'll prove to be a very capable QB.

As regards the SB, it's hard to look past both the NFC teams, Seahawks and Panthers, as both are very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Have to say it's a massive risk starting Manning in the playoffs.
    There's an incredible amount of optimism by Broncos fans that he's now fully healthy and will be more like the old Manning than like the Manning that started this season.

Imo, Brock Osweiler gives the Broncos a much better shot at winning the Superbowl. As a Pats fan, I'm not complaining though. :)

Elway and Kubiak really had no option but to start Manning. If Osweiler was to start at QB and the Broncos were to lose then the media hype about leaving Manning sitting on the bench would have done serious damage to the team.

I also think that it was necessary to start Manning for locker room morale - Manning is still highly respected and if he was left on the bench after playing last Sunday it would not have gone down well in the Broncos locker room.

I don't think that Manning playing is the best chance the Broncos have of making progress in the play-offs but I am not convinced he isn't either. He will have two more weeks of rest and he has played reasonably well when he has had time to rest and recover. He could play well enough for the Broncos to get to the AFC championship game - whether he starts that one is a different story altogether.

To be honest - who starts at QB for the Broncos is not going to be the key to the Broncos success this season - as long as Manning acts as game manager (like he did on Sunday) and he does not try to be the Manning of old. The key for the Broncos is being able to run the ball and the defence playing in an elite fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I also think that it was necessary to start Manning for locker room morale - Manning is still highly respected and if he was left on the bench after playing last Sunday it would not have gone down well in the Broncos locker room.

I don't think that Manning playing is the best chance the Broncos have of making progress in the play-offs but I am not convinced he isn't either. He will have two more weeks of rest and he has played reasonably well when he has had time to rest and recover. He could play well enough for the Broncos to get to the AFC championship game - whether he starts that one is a different story altogether.

Yet you say this around 6 weeks ago:

"All the reports coming from the Broncos locker room are that the Broncos players don't want Manning back. They see Osweiler as a team player who will not try and do things he cannot do whereas Manning cannot dump the ego attitude that he has to be the one who wins the game. The players have responded to Osweiler and his calm approach - Osweiler apparently had a major impact when giving the motivational speech to the players before the Bears game - rather than the abrasive, blame everyone but himself that the players believe that Manning adopts."

I am not trying to be smart or catch you out...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.

D9Male wrote: »
    ...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.

I think that's an interesting Q, for example Demaryius is jumping for joy but Sanders (who struggles to connect with Peyton on deep balls) is crying into his soup !

JRG is right though, running the ball is a key factor and if that can be stopped then we're goosed !!

It's also official now, Peyton is starting.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    Yet you say this around 6 weeks ago:

I am not trying to be smart or catch you out...I just wonder if Manning is the guy that the others want at QB.
    Six weeks is a long time and the Manning of last Sunday is not the Manning of six weeks ago - and awful lot has happened (not least the whole controversy over HGH).

Specifically - Manning had to accept for the first time in his career that he was a back-up behind a player who had six starts in the NFL and when he came into the game he had to play as a game manager rather than 'Manning ball' - it can be a humbling experience. Kubiak has yanked him once and Manning will be under no doubt that if he doesn't do the job expected then he could end his career being pulled out of a game. If people have listened to any of Manning's interveiws over the past couple of weeks and his whole demeanour - it is a different Manning.

Injury reports from Broncos training yesterday - Brock Osweiler didn't practice with a sprained knee.
    Along with Osweiler, cornerback Chris Harris, safeties T.J. Ward and Darian Stewart, tight end Owen Daniels and linebackers DeMarcus Ware, Shaquil Barrett, Todd Davis and Brandon Marshall did not participate in practice Thursday.

That is a seriously depleted defensive side of the ball.

Injury reports from Broncos training yesterday -
    That is a seriously depleted defensive side of the ball.

I'm guessing that report will improve by this time next week. Fingers crossed Ware is near 100%, I see the following update: MRI on linebacker DeMarcus Ware's knee comes back clean, expects to pay in divisional round. Harris by all accounts is good to go aswell.

Just read about Oz : according to an interview he has bruised ribs, partially separated shoulder and an elbow injury on his throwing arm plus the sprained MCL. When asked to clarify the injuries Kubiak simply stated he didn't have to provide an injury report as we aren't playing this week. He was held out of practice and they will proceed as the injuries dictate.
    Sounds like he is pretty banged up right now !

Sounds like he is pretty banged up right now !

Kubiak flagged the beating Osweiler was taking four weeks ago - and it was down to two things - and atrocious OL with Schoefield allowing every donkey on the field run around him and hammer the QB - and Osweiler holding onto the ball too long (an issue for every newly starting QB)

It is quite possible that the reason why Kubiak decide to yank Osweiler against the Chargers was because of the beating he has been taking. The Broncos are better running the ball with Osweiler and putting Polumbus at RT was to help the run game. When Manning came in he played the majority of the snaps under centre.

Derek Wolfe has signed a four year contract extension.

Delighted with this - Wolfe is a blue-collar guy who gives 100% on every play.

First piece of the FA jigsaw for the Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Decent performance last night. It took forever to get the Offense going but CJ Anderson is starting to show signs of life, with the difference this season being that Hillman is also contributing massively.

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League, I cannot wait for Miller to put Brady on his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sportzstar wrote: »
    Decent performance last night. It took forever to get the Offense going but CJ Anderson is starting to show signs of life, with the difference this season being that Hillman is also contributing massively.

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League, I cannot wait for Miller to put Brady on his arse.
    You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe that Patriots fans think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Pats fans think they'll have a cakewalk against the best Defense in the League

Show me one quote from any Pats fan in here especially that shows we think the game will be a cakewalk. Any Pats fan that thinks that is deluded and most likely a mouthy bandwagon fan like those muppets you see comment on Facebook posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

20121223__von-miller-wink-broncos-122312~p1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Congrats on the win guys, Miller and Ware made our patchwork OL look like children out there last night.

Good luck in the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a shame Spiralism doesn't get on here any more. It would be have been brilliant reading his thoughts throughout the season, especially on Manning. :)

Jesus this is a long week. Getting very excited.

Emmanuel%20Sanders%209%2011.JPG

temp141212_LG005--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

COME ON !! ...we can do this :cool:

As Coldplay might say: ...never say die, my Army of One (D) is gonna fight for you

/just getting hyped now :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a shame Spiralism doesn't get on here any more. It would be have been brilliant reading his thoughts throughout the season, especially on Manning. :)

He's here in a (postive) 'spirit', I can just feel it :)

Von_Miller_Fox_Hat_Broncos_Picture_Video_Feet.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Quick drop in to say congrats guys. Fully deserved win. Keep that D and ye'll have a shot again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Congrats guys best team won the bowl this year well deserved win. That defense and Von Miller are insane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What type of contract do you lads expect Miller to get?

What type of contract do you lads expect Miller to get?

He will be the highest paid pass rusher in the NFL

• Advertisement

Keep that D and ye'll have a shot again next year.

We will lose Jackson and Trevathan - and possibly Talib and Ware

Travethan will be replaced by Todd Davis (ILB is not a crucial position in the Phillips scheme)

Jackson will be replaced by Kenny Anunike who will be coming back off IR

Talib will be replaced by Roby at starting CB and Webster will come in as the nickelback.

The Broncos have Barrett and Ray at OLB who would both start on both teams.

The interesting developments next year will be on the offence

On the OL
    Clady will have his contract restructured and come back from IR at LT
    Sambrailo will be back from IR at RT
    Schofield will shift to G
    Paradis and Garcia will return

The line will be a year older - the pieces for the ZBS will be in place (unlike this year) and the running game will be much more effective.

Heuerman will be back at TE and was drafted to play in Kubiak's WCO - he will join Daniels and Green. Thomas and Sanders will be joined with a much more effective Latimer, Fowler and Norwood at WR. Anderson will make hay in the ZBS - he is the perfect back for the scheme. The big question is at QB - The Broncos will go with Osweiler unless someone throws a ridiculous amount of money at him (which could happen) - the next option is Siemian who (as I mentioned above) the Broncos coaches are very high on - they regard him as a smarter version of Osweiler who just lacks the experience.

The Broncos will draft for depth with a priority at Safety.

The Broncos defence will probably take a small step back but I expect the offence to take a big step up if they get the right QB in place. Elway has done a fantastic job as GM and is setting things up to keep the Broncos as perennial contenders.

Advertisement