Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Congrats on the win lads. :)

Who'd have thought back in 2012 when Manning went to Denver and that year they gave up 38 to the Ravens and the next season 43 to the Seahawks in the big one that the defense would be what would eventually get them over the line? I'm really happy for Kubiak too after his stint at the Ravens last year.

As a huge fan of defense, your defense was a pleasure to watch all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Paully D wrote: »
    Congrats on the win lads. :)

Who'd have thought back in 2012 when Manning went to Denver and that year they gave up 38 to the Ravens and the next season 43 to the Seahawks in the big one that the defense would be what would eventually get them over the line? I'm really happy for Kubiak too after his stint at the Ravens last year.

As a huge fan of defense, your defense was a pleasure to watch all year.

Cheers everyone
    and I echo that sentiment 100%, an absolute pleasure watching the D in action, such professionalism on every play. The way they dismantled the Patriots and the Panthers was unreal.

Roll on next year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos free agents

I would expect the Broncos to re-sign all the ERFAs and RFAs on the list. Von will be tagged if a deal isn't done in time. Manning out will give $19million in cap space.

Von Miller OLB 26 DEN TBD $9,754,000 UFA
    Evan Mathis G 34 DEN TBD $2,921,875 UFA
    Vernon Davis TE 32 DEN TBD $2,477,941 UFA
    Antonio Smith DE 34 DEN TBD $2,000,000 UFA
    David Bruton SS 28 DEN TBD $1,650,000 UFA
    Malik Jackson DE 26 DEN TBD $1,595,403 UFA
    Danny Trevathan ILB 25 DEN TBD $1,568,018 UFA
    Andre Caldwell WR 30 DEN TBD $1,550,000 UFA
    Ryan Harris LT 30 DEN TBD $1,420,000 UFA
    Brock Osweiler QB 25 DEN TBD $1,118,944 UFA
    Ronnie Hillman RB 24 DEN TBD $942,708 UFA
    Omar Bolden FS 27 DEN TBD $778,607 UFA
    Jordan Norwood WR 29 DEN TBD $745,000 UFA
    C.J. Anderson RB 24 DEN TBD $589,167 RFA
    Brandon Marshall ILB 26 DEN TBD $585,000 RFA
    Lerentee McCray OLB 25 DEN TBD $515,668 RFA
    Brandon McManus K 24 DEN TBD $510,000 ERFA
    Todd Davis ILB 23 DEN TBD $510,000 ERFA
    Tyler Polumbus LT 30 DEN TBD $481,764 UFA
    Bennie Fowler WR 24 DEN TBD $435,000 ERFA
    Matt Paradis C 26 DEN TBD $435,000 ERFA
    Kyle Williams WR 27 DEN TBD $348,000 UFA
    Sam Brenner C 25 DEN TBD $210,000 ERFA
    Josh Bush SS 26 DEN TBD $194,117 RFA
    Shiloh Keo SS 28 DEN TBD $137,647 UFA

We will lose Jackson and Trevathan - and possibly Talib and Ware

Travethan will be replaced by Todd Davis (ILB is not a crucial position in the Phillips scheme)

If we lose Trevathan and Ware then that's a big blow.

There will obviously be a lot in interest in what Manning does !

If we lose Trevathan and Ware then that's a big blow.

We have ready made replacements - Davis will replace Trevathan and Barrett and Ray will fill the gap for Ware.

Jackson will be replaced by Anunike when he come back from IR and Roby will step up to starting corner.

All four likely losses in defence have replacements in-house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

We have ready made replacements - Davis will replace Trevathan and Barrett and Ray will fill the gap for Ware.

Jackson will be replaced by Anunike when he come back from IR and Roby will step up to starting corner.

All four likely losses in defence have replacements in-house.

Replacements are all well and good, but when a defence is truly elite any change can impact that.
    Ware is HoF player who is having a true renaissance, with time to gameplan for Ray and Shaq teams will be able to manage them better. Hopefully they can step up but there is no guarantee of that.

Anunike has shown flashes, but so far cannot stay on the field.

The way we play, we need 3 top corners, but Talib is still under contract and still playing up to that contract in my opinion so I'd say he gets kept.

Danny T I don't believe is so easy to replace. He stops the run, he tackles like crazy and he seems to be a real emotional leader. He'll probably be too expensive to keep, but he will be a loss.

Hopefully Elway and co can draft well and pick up some overlooked free agents.
    But, with all of our Superbowl winning free agents on the block we are at risk of having a diminished defence, still very good, but not necessarily league best.
    Obviously league best would be great to settle in a new QB.

dub_skav wrote: »
    Replacements are all well and good, but when a defence is truly elite any change can impact that.

yep, I echo all those sentiments and believe if we go with Oz next year we still need an elite D to do a double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the ramifications of managing the cap but from what I can see, there should be a way of keeping the defence intact for the most part.

Manning retirement or release frees $19m
    Clady won't be back, or if he is, will be at a much-reduced rate. That's another $9m
    ... and a decision needs to come about Ware which may bring another $10m relief (Personally I would like to see us retain Ware for another year - I know he was injury-prone, but he was lights out in the playoffs and has such a strong relationship with Miller. Maybe he would consider redoing his deal for another shot at the Super bowl with us in 2016)
    Probably a decision will be made to retain Evan Mathis or Louis Vasquez but not both.

I'm looking at that $15m cap hit for D Thomas and not liking the value we are getting for it. Not a good sign he completely disappeared in the playoffs and to think he is receiving Julio Jones/Dez Bryant-type money.

Even with the same personnel it would be difficult to repeat the elite performance of this season - every player is a year older and transition is inevitable.
    Ware is HoF player who is having a true renaissance, with time to gameplan for Ray and Shaq teams will be able to manage them better. Hopefully they can step up but there is no guarantee of that.
    Ware could well retire - he is 33 - he came to Denver to win a ring which he now has - and he has suffered several back injuries.

As for Ray and Shaq - both have continued to improve and would probably start on other teams - when Ware missed 5 games, including the Pats game, the defence continued to play at a high level.
    Anunike has shown flashes, but so far cannot stay on the field.
    Anunike missed his rookie season with an elbow injury and this season with a knee injury. If it was a recurrence then I would be concerned - he has just been unlucky. Now the Broncos won't rely on Anunike - they will sign a vet FA - and Denver is a prime spot for FAs now.
    The way we play, we need 3 top corners, but Talib is still under contract and still playing up to that contract in my opinion so I'd say he gets kept.
    Talib is the most likely to be back - he cap number is manageable - but he is getting more prone to mad actions like the 15yd taunting penalty during the SB. Denver does need 3 CBs - but again some transition on defence is inevitable and Elway will get it sorted.
    Danny T I don't believe is so easy to replace. He stops the run, he tackles like crazy and he seems to be a real emotional leader. He'll probably be too expensive to keep, but he will be a loss.
    I actually disagree - Trevathan is by far and away the easiest player on the defence to replace. ILB is the easiest position to fill in the defensive scheme run by Phillips and Trevathan has had serious injury problems - specifically kneecap and concussion problems. From a Broncos perspective he will be far too expensive to retain. Davis and Nelson will compete for the spot and I expect either to be more than adequate to fill in at ILB
    Hopefully Elway and co can draft well and pick up some overlooked free agents.
    But, with all of our Superbowl winning free agents on the block we are at risk of having a diminished defence, still very good, but not necessarily league best.
    It is inevitable that the defence will take a step back next year - I don't expect it to be too big a step. However, with Manning gone and the full installation of Kubiak's WCO I expect the offence to take a big step forward which will more than offset any step back by the defence. This team has the potential to repeat next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

poldebruin wrote: »
    Clady won't be back, or if he is, will be at a much-reduced rate. That's another $9m
    ... and a decision needs to come about Ware which may bring another $10m relief (Personally I would like to see us retain Ware for another year - I know he was injury-prone, but he was lights out in the playoffs and has such a strong relationship with Miller. Maybe he would consider redoing his deal for another shot at the Super bowl with us in 2016)
    Probably a decision will be made to retain Evan Mathis or Louis Vasquez but not both.

Manning's retirement won't free $19m to spend on other positions, as you will need to sign his replacement and somebody to back him up. Brock Osweiler is an unrestricted free agent, he earned $1.1m last year but will definitely be looking for something in the $10m-$15m range, then it depends whether his replacement at backup QB earns more or less than Osweiler did last year.

If Clady returns it might be at a reduced rate, but it will no doubt be incentive laden based on actual playing time and if he doesn't return you are left looking at the cost of a quality free agent LT, unless you use a high draft pick instead(and the Broncos are picking 31st(as the Patriots have no first round pick)).

A big obstacle to the Broncos repeating, apart from any loss of important free agents, is that the Chiefs will have Jamaal Charles and Justin Houston back to full fitness.The Raiders are continuing to improve having split their games against Denver last season and the Chargers surely won't be as poor again, meaning that the AFC West could be very competitive, which could affect the winners' chances of getting home field advantage in the playoffs. And no team in the NFL has a home field advantage like the mile high altitude gives Denver.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the ramifications of managing the cap but from what I can see, there should be a way of keeping the defence intact for the most part.
    The most important thing to remember is that Elway will not overpay for any player (with the possible exception of Miller)

The Broncos currently have $12million in cap space - although the $5million bonus to Manning for winning the SB will impact on this.
    Up to $31million
    Clady has already indicated he is willing to take a cut. He has made $20million while out injured. I expect Clady to return as LT - he was originally drafted to play in ZBS by Shanahan and is ideally suited to play LT for Kubiak. I would expect his cap to be around $4million - if not he will be released. Assuming he comes back that's $6million in cap space

Up to $37million
    The reason why I think that Ware will be cut if he doesn't retire is that the Broncos have 25 FAs and a lot of holes to fill - Elway needs the money

Up to $47million
    Mathis improved as the year went on - he was hurt all season long. Vasquez was brought in by Fox to play in a power scheme - he is not suited to ZBS. Cutting Vasquez would save $4million - but trading him would result in a $6.5million saving - and Vasquez is still a good player with a cap friendly contract.
    I'm looking at that $15m cap hit for D Thomas and not liking the value we are getting for it. Not a good sign he completely disappeared in the playoffs and to think he is receiving Julio Jones/Dez Bryant-type money.
    I think DT will bounce back - every WR has iffy times during their career - next year with another bump in the cap DTs contract will actually be very team friendly. The problem is this - cutting DT would cost $22million in dead cap space. Even if he was traded he would have to be replaced. Sanders is not good enough to go up against the No.1 DB every week - he does not have the physicality. Finding an adequate replacement for DT would probably cost an arm and a leg.

Now $47million will not go very far -

$5million for rookie contracts
    $18million for Miller

Leaves $24million for everything else.

heyjude wrote: »
    Manning's retirement won't free $19m to spend on other positions, as you will need to sign his replacement and somebody to back him up. Brock Osweiler is an unrestricted free agent, he earned $1.1m last year but will definitely be looking for something in the $10m-$15m range, then it depends whether his replacement at backup QB earns more or less than Osweiler did last year.
    Yes - a QB has to be brought in - The Broncos will probably pay Os $10million - but some daft GM may throw a lot more than that at him. And a vet will have to be paid.

I have outlined above what the situation is and there will have to be some imagination by Elway to fill the roster.
    If Clady returns it might be at a reduced rate, but it will no doubt be incentive laden based on actual playing time and if he doesn't return you are left looking at the cost of a quality free agent LT, unless you use a high draft pick instead(and the Broncos are picking 31st(as the Patriots have no first round pick)).
    If Clady returns he plays LT and Sambrailo will play RT - if Clady is cut Sambrailo will play LT. In the second scenario Elway will sign a FA RT.
    A big obstacle to the Broncos repeating, apart from any loss of important free agents, is that the Chiefs will have Jamaal Charles and Justin Houston back to full fitness.The Raiders are continuing to improve having split their games against Denver last season and the Chargers surely won't be as poor again, meaning that the AFC West could be very competitive, which could affect the winners' chances of getting home field advantage in the playoffs. And no team in the NFL has a home field advantage like the mile high altitude gives Denver.
    I want the AFC West to get better - the better the competition the better it will make the Broncos. As regards the others - I expect the Raiders to be the most improved - particularly if they get either Jackson and/or Trevathan (JDR has indicated he wants both - as has Fox). I think the Chiefs are overhyped and are not as good as this season suggests - and the Chargers will continue to struggle (their owners are the biggest impediment to their improvement).

The Broncos offence will be significantly better next season and I believe the team will be good enough to compete with any other team in the NFL.

I think DT will bounce back - every WR has iffy times during their career - next year with another bump in the cap DTs contract will actually be very team friendly. The problem is this - cutting DT would cost $22million in dead cap space. Even if he was traded he would have to be replaced. Sanders is not good enough to go up against the No.1 DB every week - he does not have the physicality. Finding an adequate replacement for DT would probably cost an arm and a leg.

I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. For a (marquee) player to drop completely off the radar, during a successful Super Bowl run does not bode well for me at all, not just 1 game, but 3 playoff games including the Super Bowl! (not to mention he dropped off halfway through the year as well. That Patriots game at Mile High in the regular season - I have never seen anything like that before)

I know we are stuck with him, releasing is not an option (too much promise/upside, too much money, too much admission of mistake by GM. We are pot-commited to Thomas for the next couple of years)

Regarding a trade, you would essentially just be trying to offload his contract onto someone else, you would get nothing of value in return.
    Now $47million will not go very far -
    $5million for rookie contracts
    $18million for Miller
    Leaves $24million for everything else.

True, but there are normally some moves at the mid-tail end of the roster, restructurings along with other options that we haven't really discussed; Colquitt, Daniels, Virgil Green which can all add up.

Ware is a close call, I can see he will be on the downside of his career now, injuries more likely, but the leadership he brings, and Von Miller seems to love having him around, I would like him to come back for another year at a reduced rate. I suppose the call will be his if he wants to stay to try for another ring on a top 3 AFC contending team, and the chance to play on what might be an all-time defense, or would he rather go for one last big payday elsewhere.

Yes - a QB has to be brought in - The Broncos will probably pay Os $10million - but some daft GM may throw a lot more than that at him. And a vet will have to be paid.

I think Cleveland might make overtures for Osweiler and probably overpay (take a chance) . A red flag, imo, is the fact that Elway supposedly tried to trade for Tyrod Taylor this last offseason suggests they are not totally comfortable with Brock. To me, he did not show as much as someone like Cousins in Washington, for example, who took all the snaps and led a marginal team to the playoffs (albeit in a weak division)

which brings me to.....

I want the AFC West to get better - the better the competition the better it will make the Broncos.

I know you have said before that "Iron sharpens iron", but you just need to look at what having a weak division can do for you by looking at what the Patriots have achieved in the East over the last 15 years. No challenger means - 13 divisional titles and 14 playoff births....14 chances to win the Super Bowl, with 10 of those being a #1 or #2 seed which means home field for at least 1 playoff game.

#1 or 2 seeds have won 66% of the last 30 Super Bowls. So while it does seem to pay to be battle tested (2013 broncos, 2015 Panthers!) I think once you are playing a first place schedule, you can still benefit from having tough games, along with some easier wins against divisional rivals.
    The Broncos offence will be significantly better next season and I believe the team will be good enough to compete with any other team in the NFL.

Agree, the offense should be streets ahead of where it was this year. Even a regression to the mean would be a huge improvement! Personally I would like us to take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick if Osweiler goes elsewhere.

I was surprised to see the odds for next years Super Bowl have; New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, Dallas(!), Arizona, Denver in that order - which to my mind seems a little strange.

I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. For a (marquee) player to drop completely off the radar, during a successful Super Bowl run does not bode well for me at all, not just 1 game, but 3 playoff games including the Super Bowl! (not to mention he dropped off halfway through the year as well. That Patriots game at Mile High in the regular season - I have never seen anything like that before)
    Every WR - elite or not - can have a down season. Thomas has not played at elite level this season - but some of his catches have been crucial in games this season.

Thomas forces defences to account for him - doing anything like cutting or trading him requires his replacement and it would be difficult to get anything like Thomas (despite his relatively poor season) at a reasonable price.

I expect Thomas to bounce back - and if he does then his contract will be seen as very team friendly.
    True, but there are normally some moves at the mid-tail end of the roster, restructurings along with other options that we haven't really discussed; Colquitt, Daniels, Virgil Green which can all add up.
    Colquitt could be cut - his contract is worth $3.25million - but he was crucial for field position during the play-offs. I expect some negotiations on his contract but think he will stay.

Daniels could be cut and I think that will depend on how Heuerman returns from his injury. The coaches were high on Heuerman and what he could bring as a receiving TE.

Green is going nowhere - he is crucial as a blocking TE and has made some important receptions. As Kubiak fully installs the ZBS Green will become even more important.
    Ware is a close call, I can see he will be on the downside of his career now, injuries more likely, but the leadership he brings, and Von Miller seems to love having him around, I would like him to come back for another year at a reduced rate. I suppose the call will be his if he wants to stay to try for another ring on a top 3 AFC contending team, and the chance to play on what might be an all-time defense, or would he rather go for one last big payday elsewhere.
    I would love Ware to be back - but he did struggle with injuries and has ongoing back problems. If he is cut it will be because the Broncos need the $10million - not because they don't want him. But I am actually expecting Ware to retire.

I think Cleveland might make overtures for Osweiler and probably overpay (take a chance) . A red flag, imo, is the fact that Elway supposedly tried to trade for Tyrod Taylor this last offseason suggests they are not totally comfortable with Brock. To me, he did not show as much as someone like Cousins in Washington, for example, who took all the snaps and led a marginal team to the playoffs (albeit in a weak division)
    I don't think Elway is completely sold on Osweiler - but he did draft him and has kept him for four years. The big question is how much it will cost to keep him.

I know you have said before that "Iron sharpens iron", but you just need to look at what having a weak division can do for you by looking at what the Patriots have achieved in the East over the last 15 years. No challenger means - 13 divisional titles and 14 playoff births....14 chances to win the Super Bowl, with 10 of those being a #1 or #2 seed which means home field for at least 1 playoff game.
    Home field advantage was crucial this season - if the Broncos had to travel this year they would in all likelihood not have reached the SB. But the Broncos have also won the SB on the road.

I want the Broncos playing competitive games every week - I want to see a strong AFC West - I want to see the Broncos beat the best and win the SB. That is just me.

Agree, the offense should be streets ahead of where it was this year. Even a regression to the mean would be a huge improvement! Personally I would like us to take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick if Osweiler goes elsewhere.
    I think Fitzpatrick could be on Elway's radar - but if Os does go elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos going with Siemian. They really are that high on what the kid can do - he has been impressive all season and he has huge upside.
    I was surprised to see the odds for next years Super Bowl have; New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, Dallas(!), Arizona, Denver in that order - which to my mind seems a little strange.
    I love being the underdog - bring it on. :D

So out goes a few very good defensive players and also our 2 QB's, I'm not surprised we're not favs for the SB.

In comes Sanchez, but I would like to see Kaepernik come to Denver, I reckon he would fit in well and the experience of him being in a SB is a big plus. I wouldn't fancy RG3, I just think he's more of an individualist and a loose cannon.

Our 2016 schedule:
    Home: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers
    Away: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars, Titans, Bengals, Saints, Buccaneers

Some tasty home games ;)

We have 10 picks in this year's draft:
    Round 1: Pick 31
    Round 2: Pick 63
    Round 3: Pick 94
    Round 3: Pick 98 (compensatory)
    Round 4: Pick 136 (compensatory)
    Round 5: Pick 144 (from Baltimore in Gino Gradkowski trade)
    Round 6: Pick 219 (compensatory)
    Round 7: Pick 228 (from San Francisco in Vernon Davis trade)
    Round 7: Pick 235 (from Los Angeles via Houston in Chris Clark trade)
    Round 7: Pick 253

So out goes a few very good defensive players and also our 2 QB's, I'm not surprised we're not favs for the SB.
    To be honest - none of the teams that could be considered SB contenders have done much in FA.

I think people are over-estimating the impact of the loss of Trevathan and Jackson. Davis will step into the ILB spot with little difficulty (and did sub for Trevathan during the season). Anunike was showing promise before ending up on IR and could step in for Jackson - and if he doesn't this draft is deep in DL.

On defence the one player I would like to see back is Bruton - he is a leader in the locker room and the Broncos don't have anyone to replace him in the back-up safety position. I don't think the Broncos can afford the $5million he would be expected to get - but he will have to be replaced in FA or the draft.

As for the loss of Osweiler - the more I look at what he brings and the more I learn about his attitude behind the scenes - the more I am happy he is gone. I think Sanchez could be comparable with Osweiler without the attitude and massively cheaper.
    In comes Sanchez, but I would like to see Kaepernik come to Denver, I reckon he would fit in well and the experience of him being in a SB is a big plus. I wouldn't fancy RG3, I just think he's more of an individualist and a loose cannon.
    The more I look at this the more I think that Kap will go to Cleveland - he will have to take a pay cut to come to Denver and he would be dumped quickly by Elway if he wasn't up to the job (which I think he might not be up to) whereas Cleveland would pay him and they would be stuck with him.
    Our 2016 schedule:
    Home: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Texans, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers
    Away: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars, Titans, Bengals, Saints, Buccaneers

Some tasty home games ;)
    I am particularly looking forward to Brock Osweiler getting to know Von Miller veeerrrrryyyyyyy well :D
    We have 10 picks in this year's draft:
    Round 1: Pick 31
    Round 2: Pick 63
    Round 3: Pick 94
    Round 3: Pick 98 (compensatory)
    Round 4: Pick 136 (compensatory)
    Round 5: Pick 144 (from Baltimore in Gino Gradkowski trade)
    Round 6: Pick 219 (compensatory)
    Round 7: Pick 228 (from San Francisco in Vernon Davis trade)
    Round 7: Pick 235 (from Los Angeles via Houston in Chris Clark trade)
    Round 7: Pick 253
    Wouldn't be surprised if Elway trades out of the 1st for an extra pick and get what he needs with two 2nds and two 3rds (and he may trade back up into the 2nd or 3rd if he sees value there).

Just read that when Elway inquired about Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay asked for a 2nd

Elway went out and got Sanchez so that he couldn't be help hostage by teams who thought he was 'desperate' for a QB

Good move by Elway

Ware takes a pay cut and saves the Broncos $4million on the cap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Will Colin Kaepernick be traded from the 49's to the Broncos, given the millions in salary differences? Who will pay what to affect the trade? Kaepernick says he will not take a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Black Swan wrote: »
    Will Colin Kaepernick be traded from the 49's to the Broncos, given the millions in salary differences? Who will pay what to affect the trade? Kaepernick says he will not take a pay cut.

Talk is also that the niners will not supplement his salary either so there is quite a bit to run on that story (jason cole is running that and he is not the most reliable of sources)

Trade is off - Denver now talking to Fitzpatrick - and if the Amish Rifle takes $7million he could well be a Bronco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Bronco QB contender too? Why not just go with Mark Sanchez (Disclaimer: Swannie has a USC Trojan bias, ha!).

8 September Broncos play Panthers for one of the best rematches of the 2016 season. Will Mark Sanchez be starting quarterback, or whom?

The draft is over for the Broncos for this year

1. Lynch QB
    2. Gotsis DL
    3. Simmons S
    4. Booker RB
    5. McGovern OL
    6. Janovich FB
    6. Parks S
    7. Dixon P

I like what the Broncos have done here - no reaches, a lot of players will potential and depth filled at positions of need.

Lynch is a proto-typical QB for Kubiak's WCO. He has a lot to learn but has all the physical skills needed and is more talented and a bigger upsides than Osweiler. He needs at least a year to learn how to play under centre and to adjust to the speed of the NFL. It is interesting that Elway stated today that he will not be signing another vet QB in order to give Lynch more reps in training camp.

Gotsis is intriguing - an Australian that only started playing when he got to college. Bill Koller the Broncos DL coach was adamant that the Broncos should draft this guy - he feels that he could be better than Malik Jackson - and he was rising rapidly on draft boards.

Simmons gives the Broncos depth at S - he is an INT magnet and will be a ST gunner.

Booker was graded as a 2nd rounder but RB are dropping in value. This guy is a perfect fit for the ZBS wth good vision, a quick cut, burst through the hole, catches out of the backfield and can block in pass pro. He does carry the ball low and loose and that will have to be corrected. He will be a third down back next season and insurance against any CJ injury and I would expect him to be the starter next year.

McGovern will help with the rebuild of the OL. Smart with good technique and he could start at LG. At worst he will provide much needed depth along the OL.

Kubiak stated after the SB that the Broncos would have an old-time FB on the roster next season and Janovich will be that FB. Though short yardage runner with good blocking ability.

Parks could add depth to the safety position - the only area on the Broncos D which is a little thin. I would also expect the Broncos to bring in a couple of UDFA safeties.

Dixon was drafted to replace Colquitt who has a $4million hit against the cap next season on his current contract.

I think there is a very good chance that all of the draft picks make the roster and here is hoping that the Broncos also benefit from their tradition of seeing an UDFA coming through and making the 53 - another Chris Harris Jr would be nice.

Riley Dixon - much more than a punter

http://youtu.be/FCaXMAn2V7s

Haven't had a chance to post any comments on the Broncos training camp yet - have a little time now so here goes.

After 7 days of camp -

The Broncos defence could be even better than last season - right throughout the defence players are stepping up to the plate.

In the secondary - Kayvon Webster and Lorenzo Doss have been superb - able to stay with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders in man coverage. Webster and Doss are getting time with the 1st stringers because of the 'injury' to Talib. It looks like the Broncos now have three elite CBs and two back-ups that are potential starters for many NFL teams. At safety rookie Justin Simmons has been impressive and is already being worked into the rotation with Ward and Stewart. Several other back-ups have also been making headway and there will be some good DBs cut by the Broncos during pre-season.

With the LBs - Barrett and Ray have made a big jump forward - particularly Barrett a third year UDFA. With Ware and Miller the Broncos now have the best quartet of OLBs in the NFL and have four players who would walk into a starting role with most NFL teams. On the inside - Todd Davis has already shown that he can step into the shoes of Trevathan - and Corey Nelson is pushing him hard. The Broncos LB corps looks set to be dominant for years to come.

The biggest question mark on defence has been the loss of Malik Jackson. It will be a job replacing Jackson but the indications are that the DL will be as good as last season. Wolfe has been unplayable during Training Camp - nobody has been able to stop him stuffing the run or getting into the backfield. Williams is going into his second season at NT and the indications are that that he has made a major step forward. At DE Vance Walker has shown improvement in his pass-rushing. Walker is been given the opportunity to play his way into the starting line-up. The expectation however, is that rookie Adam Gotsis is going to be something special. DL Coach Bill Kollar is raving about this guy - claiming that he has the greatest raw talent he has ever seen in a DLineman. Gotsis is also noted for being very smart and is rapidly picking up the skills needed to play in the NFL. Gotsis will initially be used in the DL rotation as a run defender, and while the Broncos will not rush him, the expectation is that he will see an increasing role as the season progresses.

The offence is a different story but the outlook again is positive.

The OL has been revamped - Okung is a top-notch LT and has been impressive. The OL has gelled very well together and the Broncos coaches are expecting it to be more effective running the ball. The only question at the moment is whether rookie Connor McGovern can work his way into the line-up. McGovern has shown the skills needed to be a successful ZBS OG. The biggest concern is lack of depth - after McGovern the only useful back-up is Scholfield - the effectiveness of the OL will depend on avoiding injuries to the starters.

At RB the Broncos look set - Anderson will start - rookie Devonte Booker will be the long-term replacement. The coaches really like Booker who has good vision, hits the holes with speed and is noted for having a mean streak. Behind these two there is a battle for the remaining places. The Broncos drafted FB Andy Janovich in the 6th round - and he has proven to be effective as a blocker and in pass catching out of the backfield. Ronnie Hillman was brought back to compete for a starting spot - but he was yanked from the field yesterday while working with the 2nds and replaced by Bibbs - it looks like he maybe cut before the start of the season. Kapri Bibbs has been impressive during Training Camp. There is no way that the Broncos will be able to hide him on the practice squad this season - he is either on the Broncos roster or he will be snapped up by another team. Also in the mix is Juwan Thompson - his space on the roster appears to depend on whether Kubiak keeps 4 or 5 RBs on the roster - but if he is cut he will also find his way to another team.

At WR the Broncos have two of the best - Thomas and Sanders. However, before the start of Training Camp Kubiak predicted that WR would emerge as a strength for the Broncos. The back-ups have all stepped up. Fowler has been steadily and consistently improving, 'Sunshine' Taylor is developing a reputation for outstanding catches, Latimer has made major strides forward. On top of that several of the rookies have shown up - Addison, Frazier and Neal have all been impressive. However, the star of the show has been rookie UDFA Kalif Raymond. Raymond has a rapidly growing reputation - he is lightening quick, has been consistently good at snagging the ball and has shown that excellent route-running ability. There are going to be some good receivers cut by the Broncos this season.

The TEs have shown consistency in both receiving and blocking. Kubiak's WCO requires the TE to play specific roles and to be a major threat in the red-zone. The TEs will play a much bigger role this coming season.

Now to the QBs - Sanchez is Sanchez and has shown all the flaws that have plagued his career - fumbles and INTs. He has experience - and learned the offence effectively, but is still prone to errors. Sanchez shows all the skills during sessions until he gets to 11-11 drills when his old flaws tend to kick in. Siemian is showing all the characteristics of being a decent back-up. He tends to be cautious and is more dink and dunk in his passing. Siemian does not want to make mistakes, and this seems to be the limit of what he can achieve - he seems to have plateaued. The concern is that Sanchez has not been able to demonstrate clear daylight between himself and Siemian.

The unknown quantity is Paxton Lynch. Lynch has shown all the inconsistencies of a rookie - however - he has also displayed an abundance of talent. While Sanchez can do play-action the difference with Lynch is night and day. He has been mesmerising in his ability at play-action - and is regarded as the best that has been seen since Jake Plummer. Lynch still looks awkward dropping back from C - he still takes too long going through his progressions and he takes too long to throw a pass. But he has turned out to be far more intriguing than everyone thought he would be (with the exception it appears of Elway and Kubiak). Lynch's deep ball has been consistently on the money - he has a huge arm (many Broncos players have commented that they thought Osweiler had a big arm until they saw what Lynch could do). Lynch has been inconsistent - but has been improving in leaps and bounds. When he was drafted I suggested that Lynch would not see the field this season - but a combination of the improvement in Lynch and the inability of Sanchez to put clear daylight between himself and the other QBs opens the intriguing possibility that Lynch could see playing time this season. How he performs in pre-season will show how far he has developed as a potential starter this season. The offence does have the advantage of going against an elite defence every day and this has helped them up their game.

Special teams - McManus is booming FGs - regularly hitting kicks from 65-70yds - the Punter spot is competitive with Colquiit performing at the level that was expected when he was given his big contract. The big question is whether he is worth the $4million cap hit he has this year.

It is not a surprise to anyone that the QB position is the one major issue for the Broncos. However, it should be noted that the QB position last year was by far the worst on the team - Manning was a turn-over machine until he returned at the end of the season after which he hardly threw a pass. Osweiler showed more ability in passing but at the end of the day couldn't get the job done against the Chargers and the team had to go back to Manning. Sanchez/Siemian will not be much of an upgrade over Manning/Osweiler - but the rest of the Broncos offence has improved. In particular the running game will be significantly improved. The fact that the next QB will play under C and can utilise the ZBS better will make the running game more effective. A more effective running game will open up play-action - and while Sanchez is no pro-bowler, play-action will help significantly in (hopefully) minimising mistakes.

The Training Camp has not been all sweetness and light with everything going well - as in all TCs there have been ups and downs - there have been inconsistancies - in particular on day 6 when Kubiak chewed out the offence (and the QBs in particular) and day 3 when Phillips had a go at the entire defensive effort. But generally the TC has been positive with many players stepping up their game and making a claim for a roster spot. Roll-on pre-season and lets see what the Broncos have in terms of a roster.

Interesting developments in the last couple of days in terms of the QB battle in Denver.

The Broncos have been focusing on red zone offence in 11-11 and 7-7 drills. Sanchez has been terrible, throwing picks, overthrowing receivers, fumbling and generally being unable to get the job done. Over the past two days he has thrown red zone picks that would have been returned for TDs in normal game situations.

In contrast Siemian has been very effective, repeatedly tossing receptions for TDs and being very good at controlling the ball. Many have commented that if all Siemian had to do was play red zone offence he would be a shoe-in as starter.

Lynch has also been effective - running smooth bootlegs, showing poise and being able to scramble when plays break down.

Both Siemian and Lynch are also displaying greater effectiveness in running play-action - the stable of Kubiak's WCO. Sanchez is showing all his known flaws as a turnover machine and is rapidly dropping in the stakes to be Denver's starting QB. Unless he begins to show that he can take care of the ball he could end up as the third string QB by the start of the season - particularly with Siemian showing that he can take care of the ball even if he is far from spectacular. Kubiak could opt for ball security and let the defence dominate rather than turning the ball over and putting the defence in a hole.

It will be in testing to see how things develop in the first pre-season game against the Bears on Thursday night.

One other thing of note today was the continued and rapid development of Devonte Booker at running back who is receiving a lot of praise from coaches.

• Advertisement

Vance Walker out for the season with a torn ACL

Advertisement