Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Strong enough pack, what are the expectations?
    They haven't been as hyped up which is a good thing. Not a lot of players returning so hard to say. At 19s this age group lost narrowly to France in one game and were well beaten in the other and 2 seasons ago at 18s the clubs side beat Italy(comfortably) and England and narrowly lost to France while the schools side that year beat Georgia and France before losing the European final well to England
    case885 wrote: »
    Is Ben betts injured or well down the pecking order?
    Down pecking order. The THs ahead are very very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Leinster 1st July or 30June not that it makes huge difference...
    All international rugby is 1/1 and that's to do with world competitions and SH being calendar year seasons.
    Leinster have the extra 6 months as they have player depth to do so. Not the case in Munster...

On the player depth I think that is a double edged sword. With the extra 6 months it allows 20s to be competitive. If it wasn't for the 6 months UCD, Lansdowne and Trinity would completely dominate each year. Depth would not be there for a competitive league at 1 Jan.

I know where you're coming from but it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    On the player depth I think that is a double edged sword. With the extra 6 months it allows 20s to be competitive. If it wasn't for the 6 months UCD, Lansdowne and Trinity would completely dominate each year. Depth would not be there for a competitive league at 1 Jan.

Arguably when the league was 21s it was at its most competitive. Young men are very fickle and only 1 year out of school playing with their friends and own age group is often not enough time for them to mature both physically and personally ( I know different for clubs with strong youth teams). The good ones progress to senior ranks anyhow but the player numbers were better and the retention into the main club to senior and junior teams was very good. I know the international and provincal ages are set by international standards but for domestic purposes I have always found the 21s system the best as evident with the decline in Munster & Connacht club 20s and the continued dominance of Leinster clubs at this grade. I know not the view of many but just my own personal experience

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Arguably when the league was 21s it was at its most competitive. Young men are very fickle and only 1 year out of school playing with their friends and own age group is often not enough time for them to mature both physically and personally ( I know different for clubs with strong youth teams). The good ones progress to senior ranks anyhow but the player numbers were better and the retention into the main club to senior and junior teams was very good. I know the international and provincal ages are set by international standards but for domestic purposes I have always found the 21s system the best as evident with the decline in Munster & Connacht club 20s and the continued dominance of Leinster clubs at this grade. I know not the view of many but just my own personal experience

Completely agree with the above. I think it is much harder to convince the hypothetical guy who never played club rugby to continue playing when he might be split from his friends after only one year in a club. I can't see us ever going back to 21s but would personally love to see it.

I don't know. It is a double edged sword but what can you do?
    21s just doesn't suit anyone but Dublin city clubs. You have guys who finish school as under 18s and 3 years out of school are still primarily playing age grade rugby. It doesn't work. 21s league may be more competitive but it wont change back. Leinster can have their league on the half year but Munster will not change again as it would mean 19s and that didn't work.
    Completely agree with the above. I think it is much harder to convince the hypothetical guy who never played club rugby to continue playing when he might be split from his friends after only one year in a club. I can't see us ever going back to 21s but would personally love to see it.
    Need more work to get players linked to clubs while in school. End of year competitions for kids in 4th and 5th year where they play with clubs and only ties are limits on numbers who played schools senior cup. Basically 'open' cups. These have ran in Limerick and help unite those from schools and those in clubs and run at 16s/18s and in past at 17s/19s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Is Sam Arnold not involved this year?

Is Sam Arnold not involved this year?
    He is underage. But is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Team named:
    Ireland U20 (v Wales U20, Six Nations, Donnybrook Stadium, KO 19.35, Friday, 5th February)

15. Jack Power (UCD / Leinster)*
    14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure / Leinster)*
    13. Shane Daly (Cork Con / Munster)*
    12. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD / Leinster)*
    11. Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster)*
    10. Johnny McPhillips (QUB / Ulster)*
    9. John Poland (Cork Con / Munster)*
    1. Andrew Porter (UCD / Leinster)
    2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster)
    3. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo / Connacht)
    4. Peter Claffey (Galwegians / Connacht)*
    5. James Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster)* CAPTAIN
    6. Cillian Gallagher (Sligo / Connacht)*
    7. Will Connors (UCD / Leinster)*
    8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster)*

Replacements

16. Shane Fenton (Young Munster / Munster)*
    17. James Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster)*
    18. Conor Kenny (Buccaneers / Connacht)*
    19. Sean O'Connor (Cashel / Munster)*
    20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon / Munster)*
    21. Stephen Kerins (Sligo / Connacht)*
    22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons)*
    23. Conor O'Brien (Clontarf / Leinster)*

Interesting to see how Johnny "surely anything is better than iHumph" McPhillips gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

How far is that off the strongest possible team?

Team named:

Interesting to see how Johnny "surely anything is better than iHumph" McPhillips gets on
    Ive mentioned it before but Great to see quite a few players from clubs that wouldn't have had a lot of players represented at this level before in Sligo and Cashel. Cashel would have had Leamy, O Connors whove played pro...
    Peter Claffey is Ballinasloe RFC etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't really know much about the hooker McBurney but Porter, O'Donnell, Claffey and Ryan are serious players
    Really exciting Front 5
    I've only seen Gallagher play second row so interesting how he gets on at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Don't really know much about the hooker McBurney but Porter, O'Donnell, Claffey and Ryan are serious players
    Really exciting Front 5
    I've only seen Gallagher play second row so interesting how he gets on at 6

Good to see Connacht well represented this year. Things are going well there.

Unfortunately just two Ulster players in the mix, although I assume Stockdale is on senior Ulster duty this weekend.

As ever it is great to watch the U20s. I wonder if any of these guys will feature in Japan in 2019. As a comparison both Tadgh Furlong and Iain Henderson played in the 2012 side and featured in the 2015 WC, so I'm sure there is someone there we'll be debating over endlessly in three and a half years time!

Interesting to see Daly starting over Conor O'Brien. One a guaranteed starter in AIL the other not and from everything I was told COB completely outplayed Daly in the inter pros. Outside of that going on what I have seen and heard looks a very good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Interesting to see Daly starting over Conor O'Brien. One a guaranteed starter in AIL the other not and from everything I was told COB completely outplayed Daly in the inter pros. Outside of that going on what I have seen and heard looks a very good side.

Yeah agree with that, also a few of those UCD lads have been well below average lately and have been shown up especially in the back line, Cant argue with Porter or Connors

Yeah agree with that, also a few of those UCD lads have been well below average lately and have been shown up especially in the back line, Cant argue with Porter or Connors

Slightly surprised by JP at 15 but I'm a huge fan if I'm honest. Has Will Connors been struggling with injury this year, I saw him play our 20s and he looked like he hadn't been playing a huge amount? Wouldn't be a huge Hugo Keenan fan but I know a lot of people who really rate him, would have loved to see Terry Kennedy getting a run.

Porter is a freak. I haven't seen this Claffey guy, is he huge? If so it is a very large pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Is Paul kiernan far off the starting team?

case885 wrote: »
    Is Paul kiernan far off the starting team?

I would assume he is 5 choices in the centres for JWC considering the 3 named ahead of him and Sam Arnold.

Anyone know how long Johnston is out for?

So thoughts on tonight?

Great start for Ireland.

Lovely lovely kick from McPhillips

Great start for Ireland.

Lovely lovely kick from McPhillips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Welsh winger didn't fancy putting his body on the line there.

that was brilliant from Gallagher after very nice play from the Irish backline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

So thoughts on tonight?

Ireland are doing well against Wales so far with a try from Cillian Gallagher.

It's Ireland 8. Wales 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Three Sligo on the team tonight inc Gallagher gas to be some type of a record

yup, ive only seen Gallagher in second row so was curious how he gets on at 6

Great from Gallagher to make up that space, great work.

But awful from the Welsh winger, this Welsh group look a little hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

9 green coming in the side.:confused:

this has been great fun I have to say
    they knocking the bollocks outa each other

this has been great fun I have to say
    they knocking the bollocks outa each other

• Advertisement

We look pretty poorly marshalled. A lot of individual ability on display, O'Brien/Daly look a very silky partnership.

Advertisement