Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Is this for the free 2 years?

No, that's not until they are 3. This is just regular creche for when I go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Thanks borderlinemeath. Yeah don't mind myself once it doesn't develop in to thumb sucking later on. Getting rid of a soother further down the road will be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Dobbit wrote: »
    Has anyone else booked creche places yet? I didn't realise in my area you basically have to start ringing around when you get a positive test result!

Oh God really? I haven't even thought about it yet! Then again, I'll only need it around June/July next year, but I guess I better start asking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

How are all the babies. My LO is getting christened on Saturday. I moved her into a crib about 2 weeks ago. She had no room in the moses basket. Mad how quick they grow. 0-3 getting too small now and shes 10 wks on Fri. I have her first night away from me on Saturday. There will probably be tears lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How are all the babies. My LO is getting christened on Saturday. I moved her into a crib about 2 weeks ago. She had no room in the moses basket. Mad how quick they grow. 0-3 getting too small now and shes 10 wks on Fri. I have her first night away from me on Saturday. There will probably be tears lol

All our little ladys 0-3m is too small for her, bar a few separates but all her vests and babygros are too short!! I packed all her 0-3 stuff away last weekend and she's fully into her 3-6m clothes. She's been in the cot and grobags for a couple of weeks now and sleeping brilliantly thanks to the grobags, as she was a divil for kicking off her blankets and getting too cold.

Would you believe we're only back from registering her birth today? There was a misspelling of her name and she wasn't put on the system correctly so no paperwork was generated for her. I had gone to the local registration office when she was 5 weeks old and had heard nothing, and was fobbed off with how understaffed they were and that I would get information in the post. Almost 5 weeks later and still nothing, and apart from not being able to claim her childrens allowance, we had been gifted cheques for her that we couldn't open an account for, or apply for a passport for her in case we wanted to go on holidays. So I went in today and eventually got her sorted. Hope to have her christening around Christmas when her uncle is home from abroad.

• Advertisement

God it's mad how quick they go borderlinemeath isn't it. I am sorry now I bought so many small clothes. The gro bags are brilliant! I just use the dunnes and penneys ones though but at least I know shes warm and don't have to worry about her kicking the blankets over her.
    Thats terrible about the birth cert. At least u will get the child benefit backdated in time for Christmas.

God it's mad how quick they go borderlinemeath isn't it. I am sorry now I bought so many small clothes. The gro bags are brilliant! I just use the dunnes and penneys ones though but at least I know shes warm and don't have to worry about her kicking the blankets over her.
    Thats terrible about the birth cert. At least u will get the child benefit backdated in time for Christmas.

I got presents of 3 grobags, 2 from Mamas and Papas and another from TKmaxx, I also picked one up in IKEA of all places. And I didn't buy a huge amount of stuff, just my hospital bag as my best friend had a baby girl in March so she supplied me with 2 huge bags of 0-3m clothes, with everything from vests/babygros/separates/dresses, even socks and tights. I changed literally every present of 0-3m for either 3-6m or even 6-9m. Unfortunately my friends 3-6m clothes are too summery now for my little girl!!

TBH, the way I looked at the CB was it was money I never had before so I didn't miss it? So getting it backdated will be great, it'll go towards the Christening! Speaking of which, does anybody know what the procedure is? I'm a very lapsed catholic, have only been in our local church for funerals, I wouldn't know the local priests name, or what he even looks like :o

Our 'little' fella was 3 months yesterday and outgrew his 0-3 clothes around 3 weeks ago! Even some of the 3-6 stuff is looking a bit dodgy. He was 14 lbs on Saturday!

We had our first dash to temple street on Saturday night, he had a bit of bronchiolitis last week and then on Saturday night he started coughing violently and wouldn't stop so we jumped in the car only for him to be sound asleep when we arrived... Had him checked over anyway and he was fine but my god did he give me a fright.

We are starting sleep training tomorrow night with the ferber method. He was so colicky when he was very little, we did anything to get him to sleep and now there's no way he'll go down on his own, we've created all sorts of bad sleep habits unintentionally. I tried 'pick up, put down' but it was useless, and just made him cry more each time I picked him up. So his cot is now made up in his own room, ready to go and I'm preparing myself for several days of tears (me and him). He is still doing one midnight feed which I'm happy for him to hold onto until he is ready to drop it but he really should be able to put himself to sleep by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

"Dobbit wrote: »
    but he really should be able to put himself to sleep by now.

Sorry to butt in but no he shouldn't! He's still so tiny. Any form of sleep training at this age is crazy. Look up the Fourth Trimester
    http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/11/04/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-baby-is-only-happy-in-your-arms/

Sorry to butt in but no he shouldn't! He's still so tiny. Any form of sleep training at this age is crazy. Look up the Fourth Trimester
    http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/11/04/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-baby-is-only-happy-in-your-arms/

It's none of your business thank you.

I've done my research and reading and made my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Argh sleep training is such a controversial topic! It seems to be in the same league as breast vs bottle.

I found Dr Sears website and not knowing anything about attachment parenting, thought it all sounds reasonable until he said that if the baby wakes up when you put him down, just walk around for another 20 minutes! With him weighing about 10 lbs at the time and me with a bad back, it just wasn't possible. And during the night? No way.

I also didn't like the way he talks about psychological damage if you let a baby cry. My mother then told me she had to lock me in the bedroom for my naps as my toddler brother would always try to get in and play with me. And I definitely didn't suffer any psychological damage.

So far the only sleep training we've done is teach him the difference between day and night so when he wakes up to feed, he goes straight back to sleep. I also had 2 horrible days when I taught him to go into the Moses basket still awake but I just had to limit the time I rocking him to sleep for the sake of my back.

Macha wrote: »
    Argh sleep training is such a controversial topic! It seems to be in the same league as breast vs bottle.

Totally. All babies are different and it's very much and individual decision.

It's not as if I woke up one morning and thought "sleep training would be great craic!". I read up for ages on it, got books from the library, considered all approaches, spoke to other mums (ones who've actually met my child) and even the nurse when I went for my smear test last week!

If someone doesn't want to train their child til 10 months or co sleep until 5 or whatever then fine do that, that's their business. I don't like mothers calling each other out over their parenting styles, it's not nice and it assumes I gave no thought to this. No one likes to see their kid cry.

Borderlinemeath,we wouldn't be big church goers either. I just rang the parish and booked her in. We had to go a meeting last week about what it means to have your child christened. It took 45 minutes so who knows how long the mass is going to last lol.

I've never heard of sleep training dobbit but its no ones business to tell you how to raise your child. You spend every day with him and know him better than anyone. My little girl hasn't been sleeping too bad the last few weeks (touch wood).
    I'm generally getting from midnight to 8/9am. Last night she went asleep around 10ish and just woke up for a cry. I gave her the soother and she went back asleep.
    Thinking back to the first few weeks having her,its like a blur. Its amazing how you can function with no sleep lol.

How is your little boy now since he was in the hospital. It must've given you an awful fright.

How is your little boy now since he was in the hospital. It must've given you an awful fright.

He's much better thanks! We were a pretty miserable house for a few days, all three of us sick!

That's brilliant amounts of sleep out of your little girl. The most I've gotten is 5 or 6 hours. I'm confused about him dropping his night feed though, should he eat more during the day to make up the calories?

We had our baptism meeting last night too, prayers and lighting candles and all, wasn't expecting that!

Well it's the morning after the first night of sleep training and it was a total success. I've had the best night's sleep I've had since he came home. Here's what happened:

7.30pm Bathtime
    8.00pm Bottle
    8.30pm Played with him for awhile
    9pm Put him down in his cot in his own room awake (Ferber recommends you start with a later than usual bedtime and then move it back over time, ideally he would go down around 7.30 or 8 as this is when I will be getting home from creche with him eventually).
    9-9.05pm Calling out for us
    9.05 - 9.48pm Crying but not hysterical frantic crying, about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Husband and I alternated checks for a total of 5 (we also gave the kitchen a thorough clean to distract ourselves). I watched him on the monitor to make sure he was ok. This bit was pretty hard but it was nothing compared with his vaccines!
    9.48pm Asleep
    10.22pm Awake
    10.22pm - 11.30pm small bouts of crying/fussing/talking to himself, dosing and then waking up. Husband checked on him 3 times total after resetting the stopwatch a bunch of times. (We had decided to take the checks in shifts after the first big session to make sure we got some sleep)
    11.30pm Asleep
    2.55am Awake, husband gave bottle, put back down
    3.30 am Asleep after 10 mins of talking to himself, no crying
    6.17 am Awake, I gave bottle, put back down
    7am Asleep after another chatty 10 mins, no crying
    9am Awake and gurgling away instead of crying like he normally does in the morning.
    9am - Present SMILES and lots of them, he seems really well rested and in great form!

Total baby sleep - 8 hours 45 mins

Let's hope the naps go as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We haven't done any sleep training but from the start my wife read a couple of books and was keen to start him on 'good habits'. From 7-8 weeks we would always put him down to bed drowsy but not asleep, after some kind of a regular night time routine.

Over the weeks it went from putting him down very drowsy to just a little, now (16 weeks) we put him into his cot awake at bed time (after the same routine) and he usually puts himself asleep within 10-15 mins. No crying etc.. will just lie there and look around for a bit, rubs his face/head and nods off.

It was a PITA at the start putting him down drowsy as it was much easier and quicker to put him down already asleep but it means that currently he knows how to fall asleep alone and when he stirs during the night he will roll over and fall back asleep... unless he is hungry.

Typical night is... 5-30-6pm, start the routine... upstairs and change into a sleep suit, into his sleeping bag and then he has a feed. Into his cot and usually asleep 30 mins or so after we start. He will sleep until anywhere between 2-4am then before waking to be fed, back into his cot then and asleep until 6-7am when we get up.

mloc123 wrote: »
    We haven't done any sleep training but from the start my wife read a couple of books and was keen to start him on 'good habits'. From 7-8 weeks we would always put him down to bed drowsy but not asleep, after some kind of a regular night time routine.

This is what I would have wanted to do (and we have had a routine since 6 weeks) but my son was so colicky for the first 2 months, holding or rocking him was the only thing that stopped him screaming. The advice to put him down drowsy was a bit of a cruel joke to us at the time!

Now after the training, he is going to sleep 20 to 30 mins after we put him down awake. He will talk to himself and self soothe with his hands, the odd time he might cry a bit but never for long, 3 mins maybe. He'll generally not stir til his first feed around 3 but once he slept straight from 9 to 5!

Naps are still not brilliant but they never have been, even when he was taking them in my arms. He fights day time sleep so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Dobbit wrote: »
    Naps are still not brilliant but they never have been, even when he was taking them in my arms. He fights day time sleep so much.

Same here, crap napper. One decent one in the morning for 90mins (still in night time mode I guess) and then they are all 30 min ones after that.

But.. if given the option of having a baby that napped well through the day and only napped for longer at night.. I would take the one that sleeps for 8-10 hours straight at night.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Same here, crap napper. One decent one in the morning for 90mins (still in night time mode I guess) and then they are all 30 min ones after that.

But.. if given the option of having a baby that napped well through the day and only napped for longer at night.. I would take the one that sleeps for 8-10 hours straight at night.

Absolutely, I feel like I've regained so much of my sanity since he started sleeping longer stretches and both of us are in much better form now. He had his christening on Saturday and everyone commented that he didn't cry the whole day, compared with before the training he would be quite cranky because he wasn't sleeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Hello ladies just wanted to say hope all is going well for everyone and babes are sleeping and feeding well. Im up in Crumlin this week with my little guy. Hopefully we will know more after more tests this week and know what the future holds. He has been back in hospital with a serious infection but managed to control it with meds but was touch and go. Its been very tough watching him go through everything but by god he would break your heart with his smiles. He is doing well at the moment and im so happy and hopefully we wont be in hospital for Christmas. I wish all the mams and babes a Happy first Christmas enjoy ladies xxx we can all have a few glasses this year xxx

• Advertisement

How is your little man now catchery? I hope hes home. How are you doing yourself.
    Just seen theres a due august 16 thread. Made me kinda sad. My babies growing so quick. I miss being pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Hi irishgirl thanks ! glad all is going great for you ! We are home ! Hopefully we will get through the christmas at home especially for my other children. We have more tests in January and an operation is definitely on the horizon. But there are other children in Crumlin with a lot more problems and at least we can come home poor babies! Think you will always miss the bump too its the most wonderful experience but you only truly realise after the baby is a few months how fantastic it really is !

You have a brilliant positive outlook though catchery. Fair play to u! I hope you won't have to spend anymore time than necessary in crumlin in 2016 x

Happy Christmas everybody! I didn't even know I was pregnant this time last year and now there's a 4 month old baby sitting in my lap:D

Belated Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year ! Hope you all had a fabulous first Christmas with your little ones!

Catchery, hope you and your Little One are much better now, keeping fingers crossed for 2016!

Can't believe my baby girl will be 5 months old soon!!!

Any of you going back to work soon or are you taking longer leaves?
    Any massive milestones yet? :-)

Irishgirl - due august 2016 thread? Oh my! That feels like forever ago when we started ours here... at the same time it feels like only a few weeks ago... haha...

In going back the start of Feb. Im dreading it. I'll miss her so much.
    We have the teething here. it's a nightmare. Im sorry I got so much clothes when I was pregnant now. Shes hardly getting to wear any

In going back the start of Feb. Im dreading it. I'll miss her so much.
    We have the teething here. it's a nightmare. Im sorry I got so much clothes when I was pregnant now. Shes hardly getting to wear any

Wow February is so close! I'm lucky enough that I'm taking unpaid leave now so not back in the office until at least June... and then we'll make further decisions in terms of my return... can't imagine leaving her now, it will be surely tough on you, best of luck!

My little one is starting teething too I think - I see no signs of teeth yet but she's drooling like mad and eating her hands! Getting really narky too... thankfully she still sleeps through the night and still eats well so it's a bit easier on us for now... hopefully stays like this! Can't wait to see the first tooth :-)

Haha clothes is a tricky thing. I get loads of use of vests and babygrows but "proper" clothes get definitely less use - have lots of lovely gifts from family and friends and I try to use them all at least once but it's tricky sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Hi girls,

Sorry I've been AWOL. I stopped getting notifications about this thread so it slipped my mind. I hope all mammies and babies are well.

My little bundle isn't little anymore. He is a big buster just over 5 months old. He got two teeth for Christmas :)

We moved from Galway to Dundalk when he was 4 weeks old so I've told my boss I won't he going back. I am officially unemployed :)

Happy new year to you all :)

Hi girls, happy new year to you all! lots of teething here but no teeth yet. My little fella is also massive now, 17 lbs last I checked.

Going back to work on February 1st and I won't lie, I can't bloody wait. I knew I'd never be comfortable staying at home and much as I love him to bits, I feel like the walls are closing in on me at home every day. Having said that I'll probably be in floods of tears after week 1! We have our introductory week in creche soon and I'm looking forward for him to have other babies to interact with, every time he sees another baby he's all chat and smiles so I'd say he'll love it.

We've only had one episode of fully sleeping through the night, to 7am this week but he only usually wakes once and goes straight back down.

• Advertisement

Hows everybody doing? Our little girl is just over 5 months now, has been rolling over for almost a month and is just mad to get moving! She's showed pretty much every sign that she's ready for weaning too, draining all her bottles and watching us like a hawk when we're eating, but at 22 weeks all I've done is give her a couple of tastes the past couple of days and she could take it or leave it tbh. There's so much conflicting information out there, start at 17 weeks, don't leave it past 26 weeks etc. She's too young for BLW but if I wait another 4 weeks she'll be roaring for her bottles. As it is there's certain feeds during the day that she almost prefers to get early, so a couple of spoonfuls of food may help satisfy her appetite.

She's going to be a tall girl, I packed up all her 3-6m clothes last week as she's outgrown everything! But at 4 months she was the full length of all her babygros and most of her vests were getting stretched too. I thought she'd be swamped in 6-9m clothes but not at all.

Catchery, hope all is going well with your little fella and that Januarys tests went ok.

Irishgirl, hope the return to work goes OK for you, I half started back doing some work in December and then we went on holidays at the end of January to the Canaries so I'm getting fully back in the swing of it now.

Cowlove, just saw you've moved to Dundalk, you're only up the road! I'm in Drogheda so if you ever want to meet up I'm only about 20 mins away :-)

Advertisement