Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hi all,

Anyone else started their vaccines yet?

Our little man had his first round yesterday. He's just slept 5 hours in a row (for the first time ever) which is great but of course now I'm up googling excessive sleepiness after shots!

Of course my partner is taking full advantage and sleeping away while I fret and worry..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Macha wrote: »
    Hi all,

Our little man had his first round yesterday. He's just slept 5 hours in a row (for the first time ever) which is great but of course now I'm up googling excessive sleepiness after shots!

Of course my partner is taking full advantage and sleeping away while I fret and worry..

We had ours last week and nurse said he might be sleepy as a side effect so I think it's normal. Better that than a fever! My guy was just cranky and screamy for a day after :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Hi all,

Ha, i was just going to ask the same question in the morning as we're due the vaccination on Thursday! :-)

I'm mostly scared of fever! But from what Dobbit is saying, sleepiness is a possible side effect...

I can't advise anything based on experience until Thursday / Friday I'm afraid but I guess it's normal for the little one to sleep a bit more. And surely each child will take it a bit differently... since Dobbit was advised though that sleepiness can happen, I'd say don't worry (and don't Google! ) too much and catch up on some sleep too? :-)

Then again, my little one usually sleeps 6-7 hours at night, so if she's sleepier than usual I might be in for a proper lie in on Friday! I better have my breast pump at the ready! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Just jumping in about vaccinations (my guy has his 6 month ones today!). My son did his one and only projectile vomit a few hours after his 2 month one, that was all that happened. After his 4 month ones he slept for 5 hours, the longest he has ever slept and reverted to his 2 hour wakenings then. He got a painful red raised lump around one vaccination site and was a bit grumpy but nothing major. Vaccinations are generally worse to think about than the reality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I have mine next week really dreading it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I realise I am going to regret asking this but does anybody have good websites that they buy baby clothes from? *cue tens of delivery trucks lining up outside my house*

Although I love the stuff in dunnes now and Penney's stuff too it would be nice to see something different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Ah phew, glad to hear others have heard of this (and are up in the middle of the night :p)

It's been just about 48 hours for our guy and he's fine now. He had a bit of a temperature the first night (38.2) so we took off his warm PJs and put on some lighter ones. Three hours later his temperature was back down to normal and it didn't go back up again.

Argh, I spoke to soon...the little guy is super grumpy today. He won't sleep and is over tired and grizzling or crying all the time. :(

Argh, I spoke to soon...the little guy is super grumpy today. He won't sleep and is over tired and grizzling or crying all the time. :(

Oh my! Hope he gets better soon! I'm dreading it now, hopefully my little one will be fine quickly enough - hubby travelling from Sunday onwards and I'll be on my own!

How soon after the vaccination did you start noticing side effects ladies? We've had ours 3 hours ago and I'm here checking my little one ever minute :-)

MACHA us your LO ok now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

First night away from our little lady tonight! She's going to stay with her Aunt as we have a dinner/awards event on that we have to attend. Don't know whether I'm looking forward to it or not:o.

First night away from our little lady tonight! She's going to stay with her Aunt as we have a dinner/awards event on that we have to attend. Don't know whether I'm looking forward to it or not:o.

Eeek! Best of luck! :-)

Enjoy yourself emka. My boyfriends parents are going to take our little one on the night if her christening. She will be 10 weeks then. I'm like you - still considering not drinking that night and going home early

Enjoy yourself emka. My boyfriends parents are going to take our little one on the night if her christening. She will be 10 weeks then. I'm like you - still considering not drinking that night and going home early

It's not me hun! It's borderlinemeath :-)

My little one so far is breast dependant so with me all the time! I started expressing a bit though so if I get a bit of a supply I'll be able to plan a night away... although for now I'm happy to spend all of my time with her :-)

emka1984 wrote:
    It's not me hun! It's borderlinemeath :-)

I still have the baby brain haha

emka1984 wrote: »
    How soon after the vaccination did you start noticing side effects ladies? We've had ours 3 hours ago and I'm here checking my little one ever minute :-)

MACHA us your LO ok now?

Oh sorry, I just saw this now! Oh yeah he's totally back to normal now.

We just checked his temperature every time we changed his nappy, ie about every 3 hours. But I would also check his temperature on the back of his neck in between that.

How did yours go?

She had a few runny poops within the first 24 hours, was a bit cranky and clingy in the evening, but thankfully other than that not a bother on her! No temperature and she slept fine at night as per usual... I was checking on her loads though so not the best night for me lol

Hopefully she takes the other ones like that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Back in hospital for a procedure 2weeks ago with our little guy home that day the best little dote didnt cry at all ! Three days later back in hospital with high temp and a uti. Kept in for 4 days on an iv ; which like last time was horrendous to find a vein, listening and trying to console my baby was so hard and will never ever leave me. Packed up ready to go waiting for prescription for new antibiotic when panic urine test came back baby had caught another dangerous infection and needed an iv with stronger antibiotics. This time iv had to put through his scalp so half his hair shaved off and after three tries got the iv in. Stayed in hospital for another 4 days and came home on friday. He is out of danger and we are now giving him new antibiotic orally. The future for our little guy is uncertain hopefully it will not be in and out of hospital. My baby screamed ma ma when getting the iv in which i was sure was my imagination until my husband mentioned it to me afterwards. I am exhausted and terrified for my baby and trying to be a happy mam for my other two babes. Hold your babies close ladies and kiss and cuddle them with as much love as you can x.

catchery wrote: »
    Back in hospital for a procedure 2weeks ago with our little guy home that day the best little dote didnt cry at all ! Three days later back in hospital with high temp and a uti. Kept in for 4 days on an iv ; which like last time was horrendous to find a vein, listening and trying to console my baby was so hard and will never ever leave me. Packed up ready to go waiting for prescription for new antibiotic when panic urine test came back baby had caught another dangerous infection and needed an iv with stronger antibiotics. This time iv had to put through his scalp so half his hair shaved off and after three tries got the iv in. Stayed in hospital for another 4 days and came home on friday. He is out of danger and we are now giving him new antibiotic orally. The future for our little guy is uncertain hopefully it will not be in and out of hospital. My baby screamed ma ma when getting the iv in which i was sure was my imagination until my husband mentioned it to me afterwards. I am exhausted and terrified for my baby and trying to be a happy mam for my other two babes. Hold your babies close ladies and kiss and cuddle them with as much love as you can x.

Oh my goodness that's absolutely awful! I hope your little one gets better soon! He sounds like a fighter! No poor little creature and their parents should have to go through tough times like that :-(

Lots of good thoughts going your way and you'll be in my prayers!!!

Stay strong and keep us posted!

catchery wrote: »

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. My baby had to have an operation when he was 2 days old and spent more than 2 weeks in neonatal care.

The stress and worry is completely exhausting and you're so conscious that what should be a very happy time is instead is filled with fear. Our little guy had tubes and IVs and monitors all over him and it was just horrible to see your little one having to go through so much and you feel very helpless. In our case we couldn't even hold him to comfort him while they changed his dressings and stuck tubes back down his nose into his stomach because he had a drain in his side.

So I completely understand how you're feeling! If it's any consolation our guy is much better now and we hardly recognise him from the photos of him in the neonatal care.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Thats an awful experience Macha thank you so much for sharing im so sorry your little baby had to go through that. Thank you, you are very kind and you also emka.
    Im sorry for posting such a post but think i needed to offload a bit and i just typed it out on my phone yesterday. Thanks again xxx

Thinking of you catchery. Hope he gets better soon. It must be very hard seeing them like that.
    Glad everything is ok now macha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

My LO (nine weeks old tomorrow) has started to suck hand/fingers/thumbs in the last day or so. I don't want this to turn in to full fledge thumb sucking but won't take the soother in the house. But of course will suck as a matter of life or death outside :-D is this just part of them discovering or should I try discourage? If I should discourage, how?

Just saw Catcherys post there, that sounds awful, I hope he's feeling better now!

VandC my guy does that a lot too and he also sucks a pacifier most of the time. As long as it doesn't develop into full blown thumb or specific finger sucking I'm happy to let him do it to self soothe. A friend of mine's one year old sucks his index finger and when they catch him doing it they just replace it with the pacifier to discourage him. They are a lot easier to give up long term.

Catchery hope all is ok now, you too Macha. After reading your posts it hit home how much I take for granted with my little ladys good health. She had no problems with her overnight stay with her Aunt and cousins, she was really good and will be welcome back anytime (phew!)

We built her cotbed today, she looks tiny in it!! While there's still a little bit of room left in her moses basket she's a demon for kicking the blankets off and there's little or no room to tuck them under. I've had her in a grobag for about a week now and she's sleeping brilliantly in it, but it looks really squishy in the moses basket so it's time for the cotbed.

Catchery hope all is ok now, you too Macha. After reading your posts it hit home how much I take for granted with my little ladys good health. She had no problems with her overnight stay with her Aunt and cousins, she was really good and will be welcome back anytime (phew!)

We built her cotbed today, she looks tiny in it!! While there's still a little bit of room left in her moses basket she's a demon for kicking the blankets off and there's little or no room to tuck them under. I've had her in a grobag for about a week now and she's sleeping brilliantly in it, but it looks really squishy in the moses basket so it's time for the cotbed.

Glad it went well at your aunt's!

Do you have the cotbed in your room or are you moving the little one to her own room? I'm planning the same move soon - from moses basket to the cotbed in her own room - probably would have tried it already, but hubby's been travelling in the recent weeks and I wanted company :-) next week is his last week of travels though so I guess we might try the big move!

Here's to hoping it all goes well! Keep us posted!

Catchery and Macha - hope all is OK?

emka1984 wrote: »
    Glad it went well at your aunt's!

Do you have the cotbed in your room or are you moving the little one to her own room? I'm planning the same move soon - from moses basket to the cotbed in her own room - probably would have tried it already, but hubby's been travelling in the recent weeks and I wanted company :-) next week is his last week of travels though so I guess we might try the big move!

Here's to hoping it all goes well! Keep us posted!

Catchery and Macha - hope all is OK?

I have the cotbed in the room still, It'll be the new year before she goes into her own room, if not later as we live in a dormer bungalow and her room is going to be upstairs while ours is downstairs. Not a million miles away, but even with a monitor it just feels a lot further than it should!

I actually put the moses basket into the cotbed last night for a transition rather than just popping her straight in, and I'm the opposite, himself is away now for the weekend, so I wanted to get the cotbed up and running while he wasn't there in case she decided she didn't like it and started crying. She had a grand night last night, so fingers crossed for a nice smooth transition!

Has anyone else booked creche places yet? I didn't realise in my area you basically have to start ringing around when you get a positive test result!

I called 7 places yesterday, 4 are fully booked, 2 have places but the hours aren't great and 1 hasn't called me back at all yet.

I have a provisional place for my son in a Giraffe centre near my office in the city and then I can move him to the one near our house after 6 months when they'll finally have a place open. Not the easiest of solutions but better than nothing.

Dobbit wrote:
    Has anyone else booked creche places yet? I didn't realise in my area you basically have to start ringing around when you get a positive test result!

Is this for the free 2 years?

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, all OK with our little man. He stressed me out the last few days not taking his bottle but I think he's just decided he prefers breastfeeding.

We're also going to transition him from the moses basket to the cot soon. He's going to look so lost and tiny in it!

Advertisement