Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

We have our 6 week check on Tuesday. I weighed him in the chemist the other day and he is 11lbs already!! Doing grand, my mam is a lifesaver, she gives me a break a few times a week. Finding it very hard being home alone all the time (baby does not count as company) esp since I can't drive for a few more days. Baby is adjusting ok to forumla, he is pretty gassy though and tends to get upset by farting. I thought maybe he had colic but he seems to have calmed a little the last day or two. He slept 4 hours in his moses basket last night, thank the lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I hear you on the loneliness. Think that's been the biggest thing since OH went back to work. That and the cabin fever. I find that the LO seems to be never full so when it's feeding time it goes on for hours. Literally. So can't get out and when she finally is done I can wash myself eat some food (which I only get to half chew) and then it's time to feed again. I know they say bf would be hard but I never expected this.

Sorry rant over :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

VandC wrote: »
    I hear you on the loneliness. Think that's been the biggest thing since OH went back to work. That and the cabin fever. I find that the LO seems to be never full so when it's feeding time it goes on for hours. Literally. So can't get out and when she finally is done I can wash myself eat some food (which I only get to half chew) and then it's time to feed again. I know they say bf would be hard but I never expected this.
    I

Sorry rant over :-/

It'll hopefully get better! I'm hoping so too :-)
    Think about all the bottle sterilisation, warming, etc etc... at least we have none of that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I definitely recommend going to any local mum and baby groups near you or if you are living rurally and can't drive yet try fb groups, especially for bf because you can chat and moan and get support :) I started going when baby was 3 weeks old and 5 months later have made some great friends and between meet up groups, swim classes and pilates we have 3-5 outings every week, work allowing and not including visiting new friends.

Find things to binge watch, I watched a whole series of Masterchef in about 3 days when I was breastfeeding and sitting around all day early on.

emka1984 wrote:
    It'll hopefully get better! I'm hoping so too :-) Think about all the bottle sterilisation, warming, etc etc... at least we have none of that :-)

Its about the only thing keeping me going! Dread the thought of that on top of all that. Have discovered my new pet peeve is emptying the dryer. LO's clothes are so tiny it takes an age to empty and fold a load :-D

• Advertisement

Tried the local bf support group but no one turned up! And cos its on in the morn it can be difficult to get to. Have contacted local groups to hopefully try get involved in something and meet new ppl, so fingers crossed something comes of that! :-)

Most groups are on in the morning alright, mine are at 9.30, 10, 10.30 and 11. As they get a bit bigger you get better at being organised :) People are often late to them, often arriving up to an hour after the start time, you don't have to be exactly on time.

Most groups are on in the morning alright, mine are at 9.30, 10, 10.30 and 11. As they get a bit bigger you get better at being organised :) People are often late to them, often arriving up to an hour after the start time, you don't have to be exactly on time.

What's the best way to look for mum andbaby groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

emka1984 wrote: »

My PHN told me about a local one near me, and also she says if that one doesn't suit there's plenty of meet ups posted in the local doctors surgery notice board.

Yes I was told about a HSE bf one, I was added to an fb group for another, I heard about a Cuidiu one, and then I researched swim classes and pilates with baby and found both on Facebook too. Noticeboards in health centre, hospital, or hotels that hold meet ups and stuff.

• Advertisement

I am part of a few Facebook groups alright and got a few bf groups from the nurse... I just thought I'd ask in case there were other ways too.

I'm planning on the swimming classes too as it seems like a fab idea. I'm also, however, a bit apprehensive about leaving home early - for now it seems like mission impossible. The little one appears to be hanging off my boob for most of the day - the closeness is lovely but it's really exhausting!

I find I'm spending less time washing, sterilising and feeding than baby was spending glued to the boob so for me, I don't mind the extra work. Still feel guilty but my god the freedom. Milk still hasn't quite dried up though so he still gets a little mad at me that he can't have it. Yesterday was his first day with no breastmilk at all now that I'm only pumping once a day :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'm also mostly on the formula. I ended up having a tough caesarean and spending a few weeks in NICU with my little monkey unable to breastfeed, all of which means my milk supply is pretty low.

I've finally made my peace with combination feeding and stopped beating myself up about it. Now if I could just find some proper information about formula online without having to tick the 'Breast is Best' notice (AKA the I'm-a-bad-mother notice) on formula websites.

Macha wrote: »
    I'm also mostly on the formula. I ended up having a tough caesarean and spending a few weeks in NICU with my little monkey unable to breastfeed, all of which means my milk supply is pretty low.

I've finally made my peace with combination feeding and stopped beating myself up about it. Now if I could just find some proper information about formula online without having to tick the 'Breast is Best' notice (AKA the I'm-a-bad-mother notice) on formula websites.

Seriously?! I didn't know they do that! Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

This link has a list of BF groups in each area. https://www.breastfeeding.ie/Support-search/

Re not being ready to get to the group on time, the BF group is one of the only places u can go where u don't have to feed baby before u go, u can feed baby as soon as u get there if baby will agree to go into car seat! I used to give mine a soother for the short journey to the BF group. It didn't work every week mind u but some weeks! Don't worry about how u look either, it's just other BF mums there who know what it's like.

Anyone got a letter from children's allowance yet? I registered baby 10 days after he was born and haven't heard a peep yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I haven't got anything dobbit,now in saying that I only registered her last week but they told me I should get something within 10 working days

Dobbit wrote:
    Anyone got a letter from children's allowance yet? I registered baby 10 days after he was born and haven't heard a peep yet.

Once I registered the LO it took ten days till I got the form

Once I registered the LO it took ten days till I got the form

Hmm I'd better get on to them so

Anybody else having a rough time with 'tummy time'? My little one screams the place down when I try to do it and can't be soothed. The only way to stop the screaming is to end tummy time. Any tips?

• Advertisement

Anybody else having a rough time with 'tummy time'? My little one screams the place down when I try to do it and can't be soothed. The only way to stop the screaming is to end tummy time. Any tips?

Are you putting baby flat on the floor? Put baby on your chest and lie back, this counts as tummy time too and babies much prefer it. I found using a sling was great for strengthening baby's neck as well as everything else, he hated actual tummy time on the playmat until he was well able to hold his head up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Any overdue ladies still to give birth in here? If not, then I can move your thread to the Newborn and Toddlers forum so you can continue chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I got a letter out today with baby's ppsn but nothing re child benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Neyite wrote: »
    Mod:

Any overdue ladies still to give birth in here? If not, then I can move your thread to the Newborn and Toddlers forum so you can continue chatting.

Don't think Ms Tootsie has posted yet with news of her arrival?

I got a letter out today with baby's ppsn but nothing re child benefit?

That comes about five days after the pps letter.

I rang child benefit earlier and they said my letter was only sent last week, hopefully it will arrive in the post tomorrow.

VandC I haven't really been doing much tummy time other than with him on my chest, but we got a playmat today as a gift which is designed specifically for it so we'll see how that goes. Baby is very very sturdy so I'm not too concerned about it yet.

My little one is not mad on it either - on the floor, but likes strengthening her muscles when on my chest! :-) she's extremely strong and so I don't force her to tummy time on the mat too much. I try every now and again to see if she feels better about it. Last time I tried she was actually happy enough for a few minutes

Lord I'm so slow! I only got to register my little one last week! Lol... I guess it's still a bit of waiting for me in terms of child benefit so! :-)

Dobbit did you get what you were waiting for?

Lord I'm so slow! I only got to register my little one last week! Lol... I guess it's still a bit of waiting for me in terms of child benefit so! :-)

Dobbit did you get what you were waiting for?

Yeah it came in the post the day after I rang them, almost a month after I registered baby. I tried to fill it out on their website but it's beyond useless, had to fill in and send back the form so god knows how long until I get it.

• Advertisement

How's everyone getting on with sleep? Baby is so windy getting him to sleep or nap is a bloody nightmare. He fights his sleep and has to be rocked or bounced to sleep and even then he will wake up with wind pains shortly after. He won't burp no matter what we do, he's getting better at it week by week so I hope he will be able to settle himself at some point...

Advertisement