Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

On my first i found this really helpful ! Some people will think its ridiculous but i know you will try anything to help baby and you get some rest. "Dunstan baby language" its online i bought the first set and loved it, also shows winding techniques you may not have tried ? Maybe worth a look ! Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Dobbit wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on with sleep? Baby is so windy getting him to sleep or nap is a bloody nightmare. He fights his sleep and has to be rocked or bounced to sleep and even then he will wake up with wind pains shortly after. He won't burp no matter what we do, he's getting better at it week by week so I hope he will be able to settle himself at some point...

We're the same. The doctor suggested feeding an ounce every hour-not very practical but it does seem to help with the bloating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Dobbit wrote:
    Yeah it came in the post the day after I rang them, almost a month after I registered baby. I tried to fill it out on their website but it's beyond useless, had to fill in and send back the form so god knows how long until I get it.

I rang them today they said they sent me out my form on the 11th but I never got it. I just went into the social welfare office and applied directly. Hope it doesn't take too long I'm planning on using the money to pay for the christening in November

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

How's everyone getting on with sleep? Baby is so windy getting him to sleep or nap is a bloody nightmare. He fights his sleep and has to be rocked or bounced to sleep and even then he will wake up with wind pains shortly after. He won't burp no matter what we do, he's getting better at it week by week so I hope he will be able to settle himself at some point...

We're doing great at night - last night she slept almost 6,5 hours which is amazing even for her! But 4-5 hour stretches are now a norm at night. During the day it's not that easy however - she'll nap for 2 hours or so, and not too many naps during the day... and mostly only on my chest - she's not a big fan of her bassinet during the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

emka1984 wrote: »
    We're doing great at night - last night she slept almost 6,5 hours which is amazing even for her! But 4-5 hour stretches are now a norm at night. During the day it's not that easy however - she'll nap for 2 hours or so, and not too many naps during the day... and mostly only on my chest - she's not a big fan of her bassinet during the day...

Similar story with day napping for us. How are you putting her down at night? I can't put him down until he's fully asleep or he'll cry.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    We're the same. The doctor suggested feeding an ounce every hour-not very practical but it does seem to help with the bloating.

Wow that's time consuming. I'd rather live in hope he'll grow out of it I think.

Similar story with day napping for us. How are you putting her down at night? I can't put him down until he's fully asleep or he'll cry.

She's usually half asleep during her last feed. But I still need to wind her afterwards so she gets a bit awake... I find that putting her blanket around her during the last feed helps - it's nice and warm then when I put her to the moses basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My little lady is a dream so far. For maybe the first week or so after we got home she would be unsettled between midnight and 2am, then she would get fed and settle and I'd have to wake her for her next feed at 6am, but the doctor on her 2 week check up said not to wake her, let her wake naturally for her morning feed once she's awake and taking all her daytime feeds, otherwise I'd be getting her too used to waking so early. So now she's sleeping in til 7/7.30 and not even crying when she wakes, I wake when I hear her cooing away to herself. Even Daddy who was sent to the spare room for the first week or so has been back with us in the bedroom!

She's not mad on tummy time either, but she loves being in the sling and has fairly good head control when she's in it. She's fairly happy on my chest as well, the only thing is I struggle to get up then, I've still got a sore tailbone from the birth and I find it difficult to get up from sitting on a comfy couch or the bed unless I roll off it, and that's impossible with the baby.

My little lady is a dream so far. For maybe the first week or so after we got home she would be unsettled between midnight and 2am, then she would get fed and settle and I'd have to wake her for her next feed at 6am, but the doctor on her 2 week check up said not to wake her, let her wake naturally for her morning feed once she's awake and taking all her daytime feeds, otherwise I'd be getting her too used to waking so early. So now she's sleeping in til 7/7.30 and not even crying when she wakes, I wake when I hear her cooing away to herself. Even Daddy who was sent to the spare room for the first week or so has been back with us in the bedroom!

She's not mad on tummy time either, but she loves being in the sling and has fairly good head control when she's in it. She's fairly happy on my chest as well, the only thing is I struggle to get up then, I've still got a sore tailbone from the birth and I find it difficult to get up from sitting on a comfy couch or the bed unless I roll off it, and that's impossible with the baby.

Great to hear that! Hope it stays that way!

We are now struggling with a bit of cradle cap, and on top of that the poor little thing has a hoarse voice now :-( we'll see what the gp says tomorrow at the 6 week check! Not to mention that her nose is still stuffy at night! I'm dreading an allergy or something worse :-(

I envy you borderline Meath. Dobbit our lo sounds similar to yours. Sleeps great during the day and up all night. Very very hard to wind during the evenings. Even after I have managed to get wind up she just screams when I put her in the moses basket so I have to rock her in my arms for a good while first. Everyone says it gets better after 6 week ..I'm hoping they're not lying :-)

Emka hope the doctors visit goes well

• Advertisement

I envy you borderline Meath. Dobbit our lo sounds similar to yours. Sleeps great during the day and up all night. Very very hard to wind during the evenings. Even after I have managed to get wind up she just screams when I put her in the moses basket so I have to rock her in my arms for a good while first. Everyone says it gets better after 6 week ..I'm hoping they're not lying :-)

Emka hope the doctors visit goes well

Since week 5 or so it's been getting better little by little so you will notice the changes eventually, the fact that I've seen gradual improvement is keeping me sane, we're not there yet but we're getting there. The first few weeks just seem like a blur to me now. Everyone is right when they say you forget how hard it was.

emka1984 wrote: »
    Great to hear that! Hope it stays that way!

We are now struggling with a bit of cradle cap, and on top of that the poor little thing has a hoarse voice now :-( we'll see what the gp says tomorrow at the 6 week check! Not to mention that her nose is still stuffy at night! I'm dreading an allergy or something worse :-(

There is a dose of a cold going around, one of my sisters has it, as has my sister in law. It's not really allergy season so it could be a little bug or cold virus hopefully.

So the gp was happy at the 6 week check up. She said not to worry about the nose or throat - the throat should get better within days, and the nose should also be less stuffy with time, when she grows. I do hope it gets better soon cause the poor thing wakes up at night trying to catch her breath... it sounds awful and on top keeps us all awake...

Most importantly the gp was happy with her development which is great! :-)

How is everyone? Still having some pain with the episiotomy. My stitches burst.was told it would heal itself though so hoping that's the case. I looked at it today which I think made me worse.sorry for tmi.
    Seeing gynae next week so hopefully its showed some signs of improvement

How is everyone? Still having some pain with the episiotomy. My stitches burst.was told it would heal itself though so hoping that's the case. I looked at it today which I think made me worse.sorry for tmi.
    Seeing gynae next week so hopefully its showed some signs of improvement

Oh my I hope you get better soon! I think mine healed well but I haven't had the courage to look yet! Lol

emka1984 wrote:
    Oh my I hope you get better soon! I think mine healed well but I haven't had the courage to look yet! Lol

Well they said the outside has healed fine its just the inside :-( I'll see what the doc says next week. I hope she says its healing ok. I don't want to end up having to be restitched

Well they said the outside has healed fine its just the inside :-( I'll see what the doc says next week. I hope she says its healing ok. I don't want to end up having to be restitched

I was told it would be 6 weeks before I'd feel right again, I don't feel too bad at all, but sometimes I do feel some pressure, rather than pain. I lost some stiches too, the first one was the first external one, and only 4 days after giving birth, so it's not as neat as it should be, but internally all feels ok. I do have an aching pain in my tailbone though, and I only noticed that pain when the episiotomy pain subsided! It's really sore getting up off the couch or out of the car. I don't know whether it got fractured or just really badly bruised during the birth but I'll ask the doctor can anything be done at the 6wk check up.

Did you have an epidural Irishgirl? I was told I'd be more likely to heal quicker because I didn't have one - although it didn't feel like that at the start. Hopefully you won't need restitching, just more time to heal.

Yes I did get one borderline Meath. It was very hard pushing because I couldn't feel a thing down there. Yeah I think I lost my stitches early one too. I remember seeing 2 in a pad within the week of having her.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Don't think Ms Tootsie has posted yet with news of her arrival?

I thought I had posted but it obviously never went through - no wonder I wasnt getting alerts on new posts! Our beautiful little girl arrived 11 days overdue on Sept 7. Tough enough labour I got to 10cm at 5pm after arriving in at 5cm dilated at 5.30am and was pushing but her head wasnt descending right, her heartbeat went a bit erratic and my temp spiked so they rushed us to theatre for an emergency section. She arrived into the world at 6.06pm at 7lbs 2oz and is just perfect. She was on antibiotics for a few days after my high temp just as a precaution and she has taken to breastfeeding like a little pro!

We haf our 2wk check up during the week and she was 2oz above her birth weight. Already likes to sleep 5hrs at night before waking for a feed but she is terrible at napping during the day - any tips?? She will dose off in my arms but the minute I put her in the moses basket I get 5 mins before she wakes screaming whereas at night she will go into the moses basket no bother awake or asleep. She gets so overtired during the day she cries and really works herself up its hard so i end up letting her dose on my chest to at least get an hr nap out of her.

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    I thought I had posted but it obviously never went through - no wonder I wasnt getting alerts on new posts! Our beautiful little girl arrived 11 days overdue on Sept 7. Tough enough labour I got to 10cm at 5pm after arriving in at 5cm dilated at 5.30am and was pushing but her head wasnt descending right, her heartbeat went a bit erratic and my temp spiked so they rushed us to theatre for an emergency section. She arrived into the world at 6.06pm at 7lbs 2oz and is just perfect. She was on antibiotics for a few days after my high temp just as a precaution and she has taken to breastfeeding like a little pro!

We haf our 2wk check up during the week and she was 2oz above her birth weight. Already likes to sleep 5hrs at night before waking for a feed but she is terrible at napping during the day - any tips?? She will dose off in my arms but the minute I put her in the moses basket I get 5 mins before she wakes screaming whereas at night she will go into the moses basket no bother awake or asleep. She gets so overtired during the day she cries and really works herself up its hard so i end up letting her dose on my chest to at least get an hr nap out of her.

Congratulations! Great news!

Naps during the day are not my little one 's strongest points either although saying that she napped plenty today - typical as it's weekend and daddy is at home :-) i find she likes sleeping when taken out for a walk so if you're brave enough already - maybe try that ? Also soother works sometimes but since I'm not the biggest fan of soothers I only introduced them at 5 weeks and use them mostly for emergencies like shopping time :-)
    The little one also falls asleep when carried around after feeding (for winding purposes) so give that a go maybe? Some people swear that slings are also a good solution..

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

Congrats tootsie! Hope u are recovering well after the surgery. I've the same problem but my girl is the opposite. Naps during the day fine but at night only goes asleep in my arms and screams when we put her in the basket.
    I've heard putting a hot water bottle on top of the basket for a few minutes before they go in can help ,but it didn't really work for me.

Did you try wrapping the blanket (or whatever you have the baby covered with) around the baby for a few minutes before you put them into the basket? Works for my little girl as although the matress is cold , the blanket is warm and it keeps her happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

So happy to hear your news Ms tootsie xxx congratulations on your baby girl ! Hope you are recovering well. A wrap will help for the daytime or a sling ! You are doing great with the night sleeping which is main one ! My little man will sleep from 7 till 12 happy days but then wakes at 3 and again at 5.30/6 and im up at 7 with the school run with my other two ! So unless i go to bed early with the kids im wrecked! But thats my time for washing, cleaning and uniforms and lunches ...
    I do the blanket trick ! Keep them wrapped in that under the duvet when you are feeding in your bed then into cot. I also put a breastpad with some milk on it in the cot at the start so he got my smell? Or your bra! I put him down now awake so he knows how to go to sleep by himself.... all great tricks but its still a lucky bag if they will sleep all night or not !

Woohoo got the good news that my episiotomy had healed by itself after the gynae checked it

Woohoo got the good news that my episiotomy had healed by itself after the gynae checked it

Great news!!! It's all getting better isn't it? :-)

emka1984 wrote:
    Great news!!! It's all getting better isn't it? :-)

Definitely. Now if only the baby would sleep at night ! :-)

I'm actually so angry right now I need to have a rant. My workplace is clearly not a good place to be on mat leave. Two months in a row they've messed up my pay, first time leaving me short 300 that they overpaid on my tax and I can't claim til January and the second deducting my maternity benefit from me leaving me 1000 short!!

I emailed them a week ago to get it sorted and they are only wiring it to me today. Didn't even get an apology, the person who messed up is blaming it on an internal misunderstanding. ARGGGHHH, so mad!!!

I'm actually so angry right now I need to have a rant. My workplace is clearly not a good place to be on mat leave. Two months in a row they've messed up my pay, first time leaving me short 300 that they overpaid on my tax and I can't claim til January and the second deducting my maternity benefit from me leaving me 1000 short!!

I emailed them a week ago to get it sorted and they are only wiring it to me today. Didn't even get an apology, the person who messed up is blaming it on an internal misunderstanding. ARGGGHHH, so mad!!!

Oh my doesn't sound like fun, hope you get sorted quickly!

What do you mean by deducting your maternity benefit from you?

emka1984 wrote:
    What do you mean by deducting your maternity benefit from you?

Possibly dobbit gets her maternity ben paid directly to her employer and they pay her a full wage. I get my maternity benefit paid to me and my job makes uo the difference.
    Seriously though that sucks dobbit. I know if that happened to me it would seriously throw me off for the month. And them leaving you a week is a disgrace. That money could be the difference between you eating dinner or starving

• Advertisement

Irishgirl - thanks, you might be right, I forgot about that option! My mat benefit is also paid directly to me...

It's really awful for the employer to make such a mistake - the 300 already makes a big difference but 1000 makes a hell lot of a difference in a monthly budget, like Irishgirl said! And not to even get an apology.. :-(

Advertisement