Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 General Election Waterford

• 31-01-2016 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

So I see that some other county and city forums have a 2016 General Election thread and Waterford was missing one. I think it would be a good way of stimulating debate about the proposed candidates.

The Candidates for the Waterford constituency are:

Fine Gael Paudie Coffey, John Deasy
    Fianna Fáil Mary Butler
    Sinn Féin David Cullinane
    Labour Party Ciara Conway
    Social Democrats -
    Anti-Austerity Alliance
    People Before Profit Una Dunphy
    Green Party Grace O’Sullivan
    Independents/ Others John Halligan
    Renua Ireland Mailo Power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dessy and Halligan are certs, Cullinane pretty much a cert too. Fight for the last seat between Coffey and butler, right now it looks like Coffey might sneak it.

Not the most exiting constituency really. FF picked a pretty unremarkable candidate to try win back a seat they had always held until the last election. Surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

KevIRL wrote: »
    Dessy and Halligan are certs, Cullinane pretty much a cert too. Fight for the last seat between Coffey and butler, right now it looks like Coffey might sneak it.

Not the most exiting constituency really. FF picked a pretty unremarkable candidate to try win back a seat they had always held until the last election. Surprising.

I think Coffey might sneak it too. The only reason Butler was chosen was probably to fill the gender quota, Eddie Mulligan would of been a better candidate in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ciara Conway has a chance too :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If Cullinane doesn't get it now, he may as well just walk from politics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Sully wrote: »
    If Cullinane doesn't get it now, he may as well just walk from politics tbh.

He seems a good operator whenever I've listened to him.

What's the verdict of him in Waterford?

I would have thought he'll comfortably take a seat?

• Advertisement

He contested the General Election three times in the past and failed.But this time does look a lot promising for him.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is going to be a nightmare to mod :)

Please dont turn this into a current government bashing thread or a Waterford v Kilkenny thread(boundary extension issue) or for that matter, a Sinn Fein bashing thread. Lets try and keep things civil.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This is going to be a nightmare to mod :)

Please dont turn this into a current government bashing thread or a Waterford v Kilkenny thread(boundary extension issue) or for that matter, a Sinn Fein bashing thread. Lets try and keep things civil.

Ahh yeah, Just thought it would be nice to have a civil discussion about the candidates. The other politics thread was dead.

Ciara Conway has a chance too

If Ciara Conway gets back in, then its been a very good election day for Labour and would make a mockery of the opinion polls to date.

Paddypower odds sum it up well

Deasy 1/50
    Halligan 1/40
    Cullinane 1/9
    Coffey 4/11
    Butler 4/6
    Conway 4/1
    20/1 or greater the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

KevIRL wrote: »
    If Ciara Conway gets back in, then its been a very good election day for Labour and would make a mockery of the opinion polls to date.

Paddypower odds sum it up well

Deasy 1/50
    Halligan 1/40
    Cullinane 1/9
    Coffey 4/11
    Butler 4/6
    Conway 4/1
    20/1 or greater the rest.

re-read my post :D

• Advertisement

Near certain to get in. Only a massive swing against Sinn Fein nationally might stop him. Even then he probably would still get in given the poor quality of candidates on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Not getting the popularity of Cullinane. Why is he such a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im sadly coming to the conclusion that our whole political system is now actually defunct. we re going backwards and fast, and very few of our politicians know what the hell is going on. something has to change and fast

Waterford constituency will be featured on Newstalk breakfast at 7:45am in the morning and also Jonathan Healy's lucnhtime show also on Newstalk tomorrow from 12:30 to 1:30 is been broadcast from Dooleys Hotel

hustings in wit tomorrow main auditorium 5.30pm. obviously for students but sure we might just sneak in!

http://www.witsu.ie/events/general-elections-hustings/

thomasm wrote: »
    Not getting the popularity of Cullinane. Why is he such a certainty

David Cullinane is probably the most popular candidate in the Waterford Constituency this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Maybe he's popular with you, he's definitely not with anyone I've spoken to.

longshanks wrote: »

I guess we'll see how popular he turns out to be at the end of the Month, so

Im going with

John Deasy
    John Halligan
    David Cullinane
    with Paudie Coffey and Mary Butler battling it out for final seat, with Paudie probably just edging it

I really think FF have missed an opportunity not running a city based candidate though, I know Labour got Ciara Conway, a Dungarvan based Councillor at the time elected in 2011, but that was on the basis that most people just wanted FF out of power. I guess a lot feel the same way now about the labour Party, so maybe Mary had a great chance of getting elected.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I guess a lot feel the same way now about the labour Party, so maybe Mary had a great chance of getting elected.

sadly i feel theres nobody worthy not just here in waterford but nationwide. its gonna take a lot of convincing by our politicians that our situation can be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Halligan
    Deasy
    Cullinane/possibly Coffey
    4th seat between whichever doesn't get 3rd seat and Butler

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »

I think he is popular with the majority of people in Waterford.Coffey,Deasy and Conway have done nothing but degrade this great city. They are culpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭jmcc

Deasy.
    Halligan.
    Cullinane.
    O'Sullivan.

Not sure the FF vote is still there. Labour has betrayed Waterford. O'Sullivan may do a lot better than accepted because the Greens will be seen as a "none of the above" option. Not sure yet how Mailo Power will do but she could cost Coffey his seats as a lot of the city FGers may opt for her rather than Coffey.

Regards...jmcc

Deasy.
    Halligan.
    Cullinane.
    O'Sullivan.

Not sure the FF vote is still there. Labour has betrayed Waterford. O'Sullivan may do a lot better than accepted because the Greens will be seen as a "none of the above" option. Not sure yet how Mailo Power will do but she could cost Coffey his seats as a lot of the city FGers may opt for her rather than Coffey.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Deasy seemed to have gone into a 4 Year hibernation period. I honestly haven't heard anything from him at all since he was elected. Why is he deemed so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I listened to the debate on Newstalk at lunchtime, god it was depressing. I think David Cullinane came across the best, Ciara Conway came across as the most insincere, Mary Butler was bordering on hysterical and Paudie Coffey was woeful and his usual grumpy and pompous self.

Most of my friends voted for Ciara Conway at the last election because they wanted to see a female representative but they will not be voting for her this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ei9go

It must be the only city without a candidate from any of the three "major" parties.

FF can't get a seat without a second candidate as witnessed by Brendan Kenneally last time because they have nowhere to get transfers.

Greens are banjaxed by the "McCann" factor so have no hope.

Can't see the candidate of the Taliban party doing very well.

deisemum wrote: »
    Most of my friends voted for Ciara Conway at the last election because they wanted to see a female representative but they will not be voting for her this time round.
    So will they be voting for O'Sullivan? (One of my phase of the Moon theories that the Greens will be providing a kind of respectable choice for people who don't want to vote FF/FG/Lab.)

Regards...jmcc

ei9go wrote: »
    Greens are banjaxed by the "McCann" factor so have no hope.
    Don't think that McCann is a Green member or candidate.
    Can't see the candidate of the Taliban party doing very well.
    If the Taliban = Renua (the Greens are referred to as the Cycling Taliban on another forum), then you might be wrong as there is a chance that the FG vote in the city and perhaps Dunmore may go to Mailo Power.

Regards...jmcc

Butler being Fianna Fáils waterford candidate is disastrous in my opinion.Because Fianna Fáil have a substantial amount of city councilors and did not put forward any of them - it looks like it could cause some problems.

Why not Murphy ? Quinlan or Mulligan ?

Looks like she was chosen for the gender quota, as I don't think many in the city know her.

• Advertisement

Butler being Fianna Fáils waterford candidate is disastrous in my opinion.Because Fianna Fáil have a substantial amount of city councilors and did not put forward any of them - it looks like it could cause some problems.

Why not Murphy ? Quinlan or Mulligan ?

Looks like she was chosen for the gender quota, as I don't think many in the city know her.

Advertisement