Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I'm waiting for tonight's ECM operational run keenly. If that shows more pronounced ridging toward Santa land, then I'm going to call it as a pending 'cold spell'...a mid January one at that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Meh....unless I see Polar bears coming down the Liffey pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Meh....unless I see Polar bears coming down the Liffey pacman.gif

lol I can understand some of the glass half full posts. Normally any decent cold spells implode before they get to our shores or we are on the edge while the UK & Europe are in the freezer. BUT its hard not to get excited looking at some of the morning runs. Looking forward to the 12z's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A lot of chatter about today's charts over on Netweather too. Won't be long til the gutter-press get a hold of this and we can look forward to days of measured headlines like DEATH FREEZE 2016 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A lot of chatter about today's charts over on Netweather too. Won't be long til the gutter-press get a hold of this and we can look forward to days of measured headlines like DEATH FREEZE 2016 etc.

Two feet of snow only :D

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/631670/Flood-Britain-misery-Arctic-blast-UK-weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really hope this works out, not just for the sake of snow but to shut the atlantic down for a few weeks, we really need a break from the constant rain and wild winds! Having said that a rerun of 2010 beast from the east would do very nicely indeed! After 5 winters without a decent snowfall it's about time we get something good this year!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    I really hope this works out, not just for the sake of snow but to shut the atlantic down for a few weeks, we really need a break from the constant rain and wild winds

This more then anything else, is why i hope it happens, i dont care if i don't see a snowflake, iv'e had water lying around the house 7 times since november 1st and the ground is mush, i just want dry weather

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Cold spell looking increasingly likely for next week.

Whether it could be a snap or something of longer duration is impossible to say yet, since it depends on numerous hemispheric-wide things to take place to determine that. Same goes for the depth of cold and whether it will be a mostly dry spell or not, it's far too soon to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Just for fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Whether it could be a snap or something of longer duration is impossible to say yet, since it depends on numerous hemispheric-wide things to take place to determine that. Same goes for the depth of cold and whether it will be a mostly dry spell or not, it's far too soon to say.

A week is too soon away to forecast what will happen? (Even with all the variables) yet a while back i was ridiculed on here for suggesting that irelands weather cant be predicted 2/3 months ahead and anyone that thinks it can is full of spoof and waffle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A week is too soon away to forecast what will happen? (Even with all the variables) yet a while back i was ridiculed on here for suggesting that irelands weather cant be predicted 2/3 months ahead and anyone that thinks it can is full of spoof and waffle. :)

You seem to remember that, but do you remember all the times (Futilely it seems) that we explain what you MIGHT be able to forecast, and then what you MIGHT NOT be able to forecast.

We want discuss the weather, all you seem to want to do is destroy the discussions. Why?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You seem to remember that, but do you remember all the times (Futilely it seems) that we explain what you MIGHT be able to forecast, and then what you MIGHT NOT be able to forecast.

We want discuss the weather, all you seem to want to do is destroy the discussions. Why?

Sorry i am not falling into that trap.me giving an opinion about being able or not being able to long range irelands weather forecast IS discussing the weather.anyway im not going to drag that argument up again,i just thought it was funny the way it was said that next week is too far away to predict,but 2 or 3 months is fine. You can see where i am coming from i hope.

Sorry i am not falling into that trap.me giving an opinion about being able or not being able to long range irelands weather forecast IS discussing the weather.anyway im not going to drag that argument up again,i just thought it was funny the way it was said that next week is too far away to predict,but 2 or 3 months is fine. You can see where i am coming from i hope.

But next week is not too far away to forecast, hence the increasing likelihood of a cold spell next week.
    What is too far away to forecast is the detail: for how long, exactly how cold, how much precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TEMPERATURE-animation-mon-fri.gif

^^

Looking at Friday:

ooh-matron.gif

But next week is not too far away to forecast, hence the increasing likelihood of a cold spell next week.
    What is too far away to forecast is the detail: for how long, exactly how cold, how much precipitation.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Giving an opinion, and forcing your opinion in a patronising way is different. I respect your opinion, I think they are mostly hot air, but forcing your opinion on other again only causing arguing IMO.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Giving an opinion, and forcing your opinion in a patronising way is different. I respect your opinion, I think they are mostly hot air, but forcing your opinion on other again only causing arguing IMO.

"Forcing my opinion"? Not sure what you mean,i give my opinion,some people dont like it and thats fine,but its all about healthy debate.you accused me of trying to destroy the discussion on here, which i hope you can see now is not the case.moving on,roll on (hopefully) this cold snap and hopefully a bit of snow for dublin

Ah lads, would you put down the handbags - you're ruining the best run of charts for the last number of years for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ah lads, would you put down the handbags - you're ruining the best run of charts for the last number of years for everyone!

Yep, I have had my first big "joy smile" in quite some time thanks to this ongoing cold spell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Mac, any opinions or facts on a prolonged cold spell with a strong el nino. has it happened before??? or could it be a first.

also has anyone any info on whether or not storm frank is/was the cause of this disruption at the N pole??

^^

Looking at Friday:

ooh-matron.gif

Friday Week!

aboyro wrote: »
    Mac, any opinions or facts on a prolonged cold spell with a strong el nino. has it happened before??? or could it be a first.

also has anyone any info on whether or not storm frank is/was the cause of this disruption at the N pole??

Yes it was according to news that I have seen. And yes also, it does look like the first strong El Nino with an expected cold spell (all my strong El Nino Winter months were all warmer than normal up to December 2015 inclusive)

2009 El Nino - Nov Flooding and Dec freeze

2015 El Nino - Dec Flooding and Jan Freeze????

Not very scientific I know LOL!

I think 82/83 has a strong El Nino and we got an Easterly in Feb.

72-73 was a strong El Nino and we still got heavy snow in Feb 73.

But there hasn't been many strong El Nino's and there hasn't been too many prolonged cold spells either, so I'm not really sure about any concrete correlations. There are other factors that influence the atmosphere apart from ENSO, especially in this part of the world.

2009 El Nino - Nov Flooding and Dec freeze

2015 El Nino - Dec Flooding and Jan Freeze????

The 2009 El Nino wasn't "STRONG" though :cool: but I see what you're saying

May I ask anybody, before November 2009, when was Ireland's previous wettest month on record?

It is mad how I seen comparisons with the Winter of 1997 / 98 (with Storm Eva in particular) but now it is completely matching 2009 / 10 just different months.

2009 / 10

November: Exceptionally wet (second wettest month on record now) and mild. Sunny though.
    December: Becoming very cold, sunny and dry after a wet and windy start.
    January: Very cold, sunny and dry.

2015 / 16

December: Exceptionally wet (wettest month on record) and warm. Dull also.
    January: Relatively wet so far (like December 2009) and mild (not particularly so, like December 2009!). Relatively sunny in places (like December 2009!)

I see a repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Okay I'm excited now ❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

We'd need minus nines,but its complex because,there'd be a large volume of surface to 5000ft cold air and dewpoints coming in the wake of that,which means temps at 850 level don't need to be as low,if you get me?
    Lets see

Thanks. Will be glued to the forum for forseeable. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

excited-baby.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement