Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Munster, Sat 2nd Jan 3pm, Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Keatley MOTM! Well deserved. Delighted for the guy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good to see Munster end that losing streak.

Keatley MOTM, hope that does his confidence a world of good.

That Amorisino appears a bit of a clown though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Alleluia! Nice to win one for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Given ulster's try was very dodgy that is a bad loss at home. Great courage from Munster. Nothing amazing but defended very well and IK was the winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well done, Munster. By far the better team. Not a pretty game but they showed a huge amount or resolve up front. I'd have serious question marks of their foreign signings in the back line who looked like they wanted to be elsewhere.

Ulster pack outplayed and some silly play. They still have a few passengers up front, particularly in the back row. Roger Wilson is done and has no business playing at this level. Paul Marshall never did. Jackson was actually decent but had little enough to work with from his pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well deserved win for Munster. Ulster had lots of chances, but Munster defended like tigers. Great performance.

Stheno wrote: »
    That Amorisino appears a bit of a clown though.

Complete waste of a jersey and a pay cheque. He has no interest in being there aside from topping up his bank account. The sooner he's on his bike, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bilston wrote: »
    Well done Munster.

Although that final scrum should have been played as the ref blew for the knock on with 3 seconds left on the clock.

I think it's only if the scrum has time to set before the clock hits 80. Could be wrong but that's my understanding.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Too many tired bodies on show for us today I fear. That's an abysmal result for us on the overall context of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Doesn't bode well for Ulster when they lose at home to what is probably the worst munster side of the professional era. Keatley couldn't kick back doors but chooses today to play well!! Excellent defence from munster today though...Ulster still wouldn't have scored against them if the game was played until this time tomorrow. Fair play munster...hopefully your luck will turn from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Munster had a backline they'd be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm delighted for the team, any win to break a losing streak is very very welcome! Keatley has a good game in a ground where he had mares in the past. However there should be a serious question over Saili's place in the starting XV and GVDH should be let go at the end of the season. That penalty at the end....whew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Well deserved win for Munster. Jackson going for the posts at the end was the definition of stupidity given his earlier kick. If they wanted to attempt it it should have been left to Pienaar to kick. Ulster only have themselves to blame. Had more than enough ball in the first half. Kiss has made progress with them but this shows they still have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Lack of composure from Ulster at the end. Play the ball out of you're own half and then kick it away.

Keatley the difference really. Pin point accuracy with the boot and the right decision every time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buer wrote: »
    Complete waste of a jersey and a pay cheque. He has no interest in being there aside from topping up his bank account. The sooner he's on his bike, the better.

Is he on one of those medical contracts? I forget what they are called, it's when you bring in a NIQ short term due to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

A win away to ulster is fantastic and it's great to stop the loosing streak.

However, the amount of stupid mistakes and basic errors is ridiculous. Our attack is absolutely non existant.

And fair play to keatley. Under a massive amount of pressure and he had a fantastic performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

aimee1 wrote: »
    Jackson is a fine player but his place kicking is why Madigan often gets the bench spot ahead of him for ireland
    in fairness it wasnt jacksons fault. he was kicking into a wind. he should have kicked for touch on his last two attempts at goal. The fault was not jacksons but the call to kick at goal in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

What a relief to get the losing streak over.
    Hold my hands up, I thought beforehand we would get hammered. Even at the half I thought we were clinging on after a brilliant defensive effort but that we would stuff it up in the 2nd ( I'm looking at you amoresino) but we just seemed to get more and more stubborn. Fantastic from the whole team. Sorry Ulster but even though I am liking the way you are playing we needed that more than you right now

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Both pienaar and Marshall were stupid with penalties , deciding to tap and go instead of going to the corner. It's that sort of nonsense that costs you.

Jackson should have put his two in the corner too. That's four goes in the corner that 3 points would have done from.

We struggled with momentum all day so the tap never made sense.

Well done Munster anyway, great defending today. We just didn't show up second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The conditions turned the game into a forward dominated battle and the Ulster pack are not good enough. Conditions suited Munster and they deserved win. Munster are no threat behind scrum. You'd need to combine two teams and you'd have a decent side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm delighted for the team, any win to break a losing streak is very very welcome! Keatley has a good game in a ground where he had mares in the past. However there should be a serious question over Saili's place in the starting XV and GVDH should be let go at the end of the season. That penalty at the end....whew.

Ah here now, how many players have given away the offside like that? I thought he had a great game, made some great tackles.

One of the reasons we won that match was our fullback and wingers played in position. If you look back at the breakaway tries that were scored against us, Zebo and Conway were not to be seen. Too many headless chickens playing for munster, Conway and Zebo being the main offenders in that regard.

Stheno wrote: »
    Is he on one of those medical contracts? I forget what they are called, it's when you bring in a NIQ short term due to injury?

A joker. And yes. There's always a risk with them that the player is just there for a quick bit of cash. They're not staying so have no motivation to really try too hard. Amorosino has been muck though. You can see in glimpses that he's a really good player but he simply doesn't want to do much if it isn't open field attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ah here now, how many players have given away the offside like that? I thought he had a great game, made some great tackles.

One of the reasons we won that match was our fullback and wingers played in position. If you look back at the breakaway tries that were scored against us, Zebo and Conway were not to be seen. Too many headless chickens playing for munster, Conway and Zebo being the main offenders in that regard.

The back 3 were horrific today. Saili too. Munster won that up front and with Keatley

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think it's only if the scrum has time to set before the clock hits 80. Could be wrong but that's my understanding.

In that case fair enough

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The back 3 were horrific today. Saili too. Munster won that up front and with Keatley

Seriously? We've been beaten up by really bad teams playing badly this season and, you want to go back to the old guard? I've said this before, Zebo needs to go to france and Conway is not a FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

mfceiling wrote: »
    Doesn't bode well for Ulster when they lose at home to what is probably the worst munster side of the professional era. Keatley couldn't kick back doors but chooses today to play well!! Excellent defence from munster today though...Ulster still wouldn't have scored against them if the game was played until this time tomorrow. Fair play munster...hopefully your luck will turn from here on in.

Think we have to remember that until the Touloise games last month Ulster were in very poor form. They've gotten better since then but it takes a long time to rebuild.

Seriously? We've been beaten up by really bad teams playing badly this season and, you want to go back to the old guard? I've said this before, Zebo needs to go to france and Conway is not a FB.

Just because they won today doesn't mean it had anything to do with the back 3. Amasorino was embarrassing today. VdH is error prone and ROM had a mare.
    Across the media Conway has been called minsters best back with Schmidt even commenting on him. Zebo while out of form is one of munsters few decent backs.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Just because they won today doesn't mean it had anything to do with the back 3. Amasorino was embarrassing today. VdH is error prone and ROM had a mare.
    Across the media Conway has been called minsters best back with Schmidt even commenting on him. Zebo while out of form is one of munsters few decent backs.

I'm sure it was Keatley's fault we lost all those games, not all the tries that were scored when we were camped in the other sides 22. We haven't had anyone worth a **** in the backs for a few years now.

Conway is a terrible fullback absolutely terrible. Zebo is usually on the wrong wing trying to poach certain tries. Is it any wonder there's noone at home when the ball is turned over? Headless chickens running after the ball.

I'm sure it was Keatley's fault we lost all those games, not all the tries that were scored when we were camped in the other sides 22. We haven't had anyone worth a **** in the backs for a few years now.

Conway is a terrible fullback absolutely terrible. Zebo is usually on the wrong wing trying to poach certain tries. Is it any wonder there's noone at home when the ball is turned over? Headless chickens running after the ball.

How exactly are tries from opposition 22s the fault of the back 3 exclusively? What about Amorosino giving up chasing Kirchner last week while others like Conway gave it all to get back?

Ok grand as a fan of a team competing for a top 4 spot I will be absolutely over the moon if that back 3 today plays regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

K1.PNG

Ian Keatley - smiling and talking with confidence! As somebody who is not his biggest fan I was delighted with his game today. Hopefully, today he has finally turned a corner in his career.

Advertisement