Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Pimento. Tapas Bar & Restaurant. Opening Friday the 27th of November.

Where the Italian Connection was on Kennedy Ave. at bottom of Riverbank Apartments > https://www.facebook.com/Pimento-1560117094262117/?pnref=story

Pimento. Tapas Bar & Restaurant. Opening Friday the 27th of November.

Where the Italian Connection was on Kennedy Ave. at bottom of Riverbank Apartments > https://www.facebook.com/Pimento-1560117094262117/?pnref=story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Paddy's a great chef. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,383 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seems to be work going on in Darrers today.

I wonder has it been sold.

Edit: sorry wrong thread meant to put in Random Waffle Thread.

Where Boscos was on Tullow St., beside where Bon Appetit is, a new cafe type unit is opening; lost count of how many cafe/restaurant type businesses have gone in there since Boscos was there; rates issue I wonder?

After all Bon Appetit is in business years now.

Heard McHughs Courthouse Hotel bought by Germaines in/of Baltinglass (for the €375k too).

Ritz Hotel & the JT/John Tyndall being refurbished (latters licence coming from a Ra'villy Pub I think?) albeit at a slow enough rate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

is bon appetit that place with all the pastries and stuff in the window?

walked by it so often without going in i always sort of forget it's there now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

strelok wrote: »
    is bon appetit that place with all the pastries and stuff in the window?

walked by it so often without going in i always sort of forget it's there now

I'd keep doing that if i were you!!!!!

Sooooo juicy rumour is that TK Maxx are the dudes who bought Heustons/ Darrers Stores...

Fecking great if true for Tullow St

That is just what Carlow and Tullow St needs a big name retailer to bring folks back down.

I'm delighted if it's true. Great news for all the businesses nearby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

what the hell are they doing with the speed limit out the N80 wexford road, they have moved the 60km zone further out (approx 1km) so now they have it starting before you get to where the speed van is normally parked and on the way out the 100km zone starts well before where the 60km starts on the way in.. makes no sense that you can do 100km one direction and 60km another??

couple that with the decision to basically remove the hard shoulder out by the turn in at Tinryland clubhouse by putting in kerbs on the left hand side as you come off the roundabout.. now if you are behind somebody turning into the clubhouse you will have to wait for them to turn rather than going around them like before...

some shocking decisions in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

tommycahir wrote: »
    what the hell are they doing with the speed limit out the N80 wexford road, they have moved the 60km zone further out (approx 1km) so now they have it starting before you get to where the speed van is normally parked and on the way out the 100km zone starts well before where the 60km starts on the way in.. makes no sense that you can do 100km one direction and 60km another??

couple that with the decision to basically remove the hard shoulder out by the turn in at Tinryland clubhouse by putting in kerbs on the left hand side as you come off the roundabout.. now if you are behind somebody turning into the clubhouse you will have to wait for them to turn rather than going around them like before...

So that the speed van gets more people i assume. In my 11 years in the county have never seen an accident on that stretch of road and it is purely just a money making racket.

As you said the tinryland one makes no sense and is just madness.

Travel that road every day in and out. Tinryland thing makes sense because people just leave their cars there and cars coming out of the roundabout have cut it close before.

Assume other speed restriction is temporary for roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

racso1975 wrote: »
    So that the speed van gets more people i assume. In my 11 years in the county have never seen an accident on that stretch of road and it is purely just a money making racket.

As you said the tinryland one makes no sense and is just madness.

I have seen Four people die along that section of Road two in cars drink related one guy on a scooter when his chain came off and an elderly visitor wearing headphones going for an early morning walk who may have looked the wrong direction . The speed limit is to protect the workers who are doing services getting ready for the new roundabout at Ken Blacks . There were three road maintenance workers killed in the last year . A girl that works with my wife had her brother killed five years ago while doing roadworks and he was behind the bollards . So would everybody please observe the new speed limit in memory of him his young wife and his four orphaned children .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

brianblaze wrote: »
    Travel that road every day in and out. Tinryland thing makes sense because people just leave their cars there and cars coming out of the roundabout have cut it close before.

Assume other speed restriction is temporary for roadworks?

I think that we will start to see some cars tailing back on to the roundabout in the evens now as we see people queue behind a car turning into the clubhouse.. I am happy to be proven wrong but looks like an accident and traffic jam waiting to happen..

Not sure the speed zone changes are just temporary, they look permanent to me... :(

Just seen bog_man_1 post and now the speed zone changes make sense if they are related to a new roundabout (well overdue) going in there.

Also, we'll see lots of pointless road works over the next few weeks as the council spunks away it's 2015 budget before the end of November!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tommycahir wrote: »

There never was a 60 km/h zone there in the first place, the limit dropped from 100km/h straight to 50km/h near Wall's Forge roundabout (where trucks often park and block the sign on the way out of town).
    Perhaps when you passed through it they hadn't fitted all the signs yet because I came that way today and there are 60km/h signs in both directions, the outward pair on the back of the aforementioned 50km/h signs and the new 60/100km/h signs about 300m from the business park.

I think a permanent 60km/h zone is a good thing considering the dangerous junction at the biz park. Anyone trying to get in or out of the junction would be aware of how frustrating (hence more risk taking) it can be especially during darkness. Slowing traffic from 100km/h to 60km/h should help a lot.

Didn't go as far as the clubhouse but could see the new kerbing from the motorway roundabout and thought it a bit odd alright.

Another roundabout. I love them for traffic management but lads nobody in Carlow knows how to indicate on them. I've had a lot of close calls with idiots just driving and hoping I'll guess which way they're going!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Another roundabout.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

racso1975 wrote: »

Could probably say the same about 95% of the placements. Between here and Dublin you will see them on the old N9 (although not as much since they upped the speed limit), on the n7 at Goffs shortly after the M7 ends, and the old naas road in between the red cow hotel and the long mile road junction. None of them accident black spots and chosen to cash in.

• Advertisement

Gatso vans are just for making money, not for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Gatso vans are just for making money, not for safety

What brought the road Deaths down ? When I started driving there was 600 people a year killed on the roads . That was reduced over the years by seat belts ,drink driving limits ,safer better cars , air bags , better busier roads , driving tests and road skills education by various bodies .
    The last big drop in deaths was when the Safety Cameras were introduced . My brother has a sat nav that beeps if you are over the speed limit . In 43 years of driving I have been caught speeding once . The Birmingham six got a fairer trial than the Ballon 1 . Complete Miscarriage of justice :P:P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Bog Man 1 wrote:
    What brought the road Deaths down ? .

Safer roads safer cars. There was less people using the roads when the numbers dropped. People are back use the roads now and the numbers are on the increase. The speed vans might have a small bit too do with it but only a small bit.

Crackdown on drink driving and improving vehicles is the reason deaths are way down.

A few money making vans is not helping road safety greatly IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

brianblaze wrote:
    Another roundabout. I love them for traffic management but lads nobody in Carlow knows how to indicate on them. I've had a lot of close calls with idiots just driving and hoping I'll guess which way they're going!

But sure they are going the same way everyday, they don't need indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

It looks like the Pennys re-development is back on the agenda, hearing rumours that a contractor has been appointed.

Hosey's closed with crime scene tape at the entrance and 2 Gardai standing outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hosey's closed with crime scene tape at the entrance and 2 Gardai standing outside it.

Post office robbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Raided, didn't get anything from what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Raided, didn't get anything from what I heard.

3 lads went in and couldn't get into the post office part the safety glass held up. One of the lads was very tall and had a foreign accent. From talking to the staff the lads were hanging around mooneys lane for a few hours before.

Advertisement