Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Facekicking 2 The Future

I saw no trailers and avoided all news on it.

I came out out of Prometheus incredibly impressed, I thought the film was on par with Alien and Aliens and felt like it belonged in the same world of those two. Loved the ideas rarely done on that budget, the depression of the situation and the alien landscapes that felt truly alien and tempting fate. Yes those pun were's intended.

The abortion scene (in 3D) particular had me with my hands over my head in the cinema and is one of the most vivid memories I ever had in a cinema.

Prior to the scene,Michael Fassbender's line of questioning "Well now....its not exactly a traditional fetus" was so darkly ****ed up and funny/matter of fact".

So I was shocked to find the reaction online that the film itself was an abortion (I understand the points they tried to make but Jesus, it was near Phantom Menace frothing at the mouth in most corners)

Oblivion is another film that I loved from and it had one of the best screenplays that people in Hollywood that they have ever seen.

I'm usually a harsh critic and hard impressed, so In don't know if my taste is changing or just getting worse!

Anything that big budgeted with ideas getting funded that isn't a ****ing Marvel/DC or cinematic universe at this point is like an oasis in desert

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So are we getting and Alien Film & Prometheus 2?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So are we getting and Alien Film & Prometheus 2?

We're getting Prometheus 2, which is an Alien prequel, and possibly Prometheus 3 as well. Blomkamp's previously announced Alien retcon sequel is on hold probably indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jaysis, Scott has fairly done a 180 on the Alien franchise and the xenomorphs he was at pains for years to distance himself from, even when he said Prometheus would have nothing to do with Alien in the sequels.

I was actually more interested in Alien 5 than Prometheus 2, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

We're getting Prometheus 2, which is an Alien prequel, and possibly Prometheus 3 as well. Blomkamp's previously announced Alien retcon sequel is on hold probably indefinitely.

Am I the only person who would have preferred the retcon over Prometheus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You missed two apparently intelligent people try to escape a falling/rolling object by running in the same direction it was falling/rolling in.

Ya know it's funny.

I both like and hate that scene.

It's utterly stupid on the one hand, but Theron's death is absolutely terrifying. Her "No, no, no..." send shivers up my spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

GAAman wrote: »
    Am I the only person who would have preferred the retcon over Prometheus?

I have a funny feeling you are in the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I really enjoyed Prometheus and don't get the hate. I understand why people were disappointed, but on second and third viewing the movie gets better and better.

As a standalone movie its extremely enjoyable.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Prometheus and don't get the hate. I understand why people were disappointed, but on second and third viewing the movie gets better and better.

As a standalone movie its extremely enjoyable.

agreed. dont watch movies again much but have watched prometheus a couple of times again and enjoyed it. i really dont know why there was so much vitriol for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What is a retcon is that a reboot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably not the last title change. Put the thread title back to Prometheus 2 for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a774040/ridley-scott-renames-alien-paradise-lost-alien-covenant/

Right I'm confused so we had ​Prometheus 2 and an Alien film with Ripley then the Alien film got shelved and now Prometheus 2 is an Alien film called Covenant with Ripley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

its all over the place at the minute

It's not that confusing.

Prometheus was always a de facto Alien film with at least one planned sequel. It wasn't called Alien because that was the (lame) twist. Ta-da, we're an Alien film! Now that the cat is out of the bag, I guess having Alien in the title of the sequel makes sense from a studio POV. They couldn't really call it Prometheus 2 anyway since the ship was destroyed in the first film and the stealing fire from the gods storyline was kinda played out. Whatever, it's still a Prometheus sequel. And maybe we'll see Ripley as a baby or something.

Alien 5 with Weaver and Biehn was just some retcon fanfic that Blomkamp somehow sold to Fox execs with some concept art. Then they looked at Chappie's box office returns and thought twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What is a retcon is that a reboot?

No, a retcon is not a reboot.

There are two kinds of retcon - one is adding new information in a later story which was not mentioned in the earlier one, but doesn't contradict it. For example in Aliens extended edition, Ripley has a daughter who is never mentioned in Alien.

The other is adding stuff in a later movie which changes the events in the earlier story. Often this is a reveal that someone who died is not actually dead. In the case of the Alien franchise we have the reverse: Alien 3 reveals that more aliens got on the Sulaco somehow, Ripley went into hypersleep without checking, and everyone who apparently survived Aliens actually gets killed as a result.

Blomkamp's movie would seem to be a reboot after Aliens to ignore that bit, but I suppose it could be a very complicated (and ill-advised) retcon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Facekicking 2 The Future

About 13-14 years ago.

There was talk of Sigourney Weaver and Arnold Schwarzenegger teaming up for Alien 5 in a script written and directed by James Cameron. Ridley Scott was supposed to produce.

Like Blomkamp's film it would have retconned/wiped everything after Aliens.

Instead FOX went with Aliens Vs Predator.

12274548_10153678527116605_7526493259206569164_n.png?oh=769f6f3bc6e4691be0b0e9d71c027ffc&oe=56BB9729

"Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition."

taken from the alien facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

evosteo wrote: »
    12274548_10153678527116605_7526493259206569164_n.png?oh=769f6f3bc6e4691be0b0e9d71c027ffc&oe=56BB9729

"Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition."

taken from the alien facebook page

No room for Noomi?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody play the newest Alien game Alien Isolation ? It would actually make a great movie IMO. I felt it was a great mix of Alien and Aliens.

• Advertisement

Is Noomi definitely in this?

the feeling im getting from that quote is that it is probably set along time, maybe hundreds of years after prometheus was set and because "david" is synthetic hes just hanging together and noomi has passed away??

and new human explorers just stumble across this new planet

the feeling im getting from that quote is that it is probably set along time, maybe hundreds of years after prometheus was set and because "david" is synthetic hes just hanging together and noomi has passed away??

Looks like they have written her out and I bet David is the creator of the Xenomorph we know from the Alien films so.

But Prometheus was set only 30 years before the events of Alien. Everything Scott has said so far suggests this is a prequel trilogy, so a big jump forward in time seems unlikely.

I suppose it could be set 10 years later and Noomi is dead. But if she is out, then it seems strange that we haven’t heard anything until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That sounds bloody stupid.

I thought 'Prometheus' was supposed to be kicking off a trilogy that leads up to the events in 'Alien'? Now, there's no more Naomi Rapeface after a brutal cliffhanger ending, leaving the majority of viewers wanting to know what happened to her?

WTF?

I really wish they'd just leave the "Alien" universe alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Belial

I'm sure even if she's dead we'll find out what happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Belial wrote: »
    I'm sure even if she's dead we'll find out what happened to her.

Maybe an alien who wasn't seen in Prometheus got loose on the ship while they were in hypersleep!

No, that would be stupid.

Maybe an alien who wasn't seen in Prometheus got loose on the ship while they were in hypersleep!

No, that would be stupid.

They took off on another alien ship to the one shown so it could have anything on board.

All the goo might have fallen over when they left the planet, that ship was pointing straight up after all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Was not david is just a head last we saw him?

Davids-head.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Disappointing if Noomi is out and Fassbender is the only relevant connection to Prometheus. Pretty ruthless decision if true.

Advertisement