Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Options

Comments

I wonder if there's anything telling about the fact he's not calling it Prometheus 2? Is it trying to distance himself from the previous movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭emo72

This is all messed up. What's going to happen to all to he questions I needed answered after Prometheus? Prequels sequels and reboots. My mind is melting.

Prometheus was one of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen. Scott shouldn't be let near his legacy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭emo72

Prometheus was one of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen. Scott shouldn't be let near his legacy at this stage.
    True, next up for ruination? blade runner.

you've spelled urination wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've the fear for The Martian. Word of mouth is good but I've little faith in Scott's ability to tell a coherent story. Hopefully the fact that it's an adaptation will save it.

On topic: You've got to pity the screenwriter for this. The further adventures of Rapace and fassbenders head is a hell of a jumping off point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So wait, we have another THREE Films to see before it leads up to Alien ??

Talk about milking it, I thought it was supposed to be a trilogy including Prometheus so 2 left ..

So it's 4 now ... okkkaaay..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So wait, we have another THREE Films to see before it leads up to Alien ??

Talk about milking it, I thought it was supposed to be a trilogy including Prometheus so 2 left ..

So it's 4 now ... okkkaaay..

Sure Promtheus was originally written to be set on LV-426 and involved no super vaginas, space cobras or canisters of magic goo, just eggs, facehuggers and xenomorphs

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure Promtheus was originally written to be set on LV-426 and involved no super vaginas, space cobras or canisters of magic goo, just eggs, facehuggers and xenomorphs

So who f*cked it all up ?

Lindehof ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Scott and Rothman were behind distancing Prometheus from the rest of the franchise. Making it a trilogy was also their idea. Lindelof came in after. They told him what they wanted and he did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 PTB

I actually enjoyed Prometheus but kinda agree with you, I also think Scott is now aware of what fans think of his recent decisions and is trying to fix it he has said that paradise lost & the other sequel's will answer all the question's about the engineer's & how the eggs got there in alien etc. I think by him changing the name too alien paradise lost & putting bloomkamp on hold are signs of this. But yeah if paradise lost & blade runner 2 are bad someone should step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It make sense it is not called Prometheus as that was the name of the ship and some of the themes in the first movie, but I am not sure tagging on the Alien name is the smartest decision they could have made either but I will keep an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm a tad confused, can anyone explain where this new trilogy fits into the overall franchise? Is it set AFTER Prometheus, but before Alien 1?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm a tad confused, can anyone explain where this new trilogy fits into the overall franchise? Is it set AFTER Prometheus, but before Alien 1?

Yeah, I think it will be following Noomi Rapace's character and Fassbender's head's further adventures in space. Presumabley heading to the the space jockey home world.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

emo72 wrote: »
    What's going to happen to all to he questions I needed answered after Prometheus? .

I only had one question needed answering after Prometheus... WHY?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Squelchy wrote: »
    I only had one question needed answering after Prometheus... WHY?!

Dollars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Am I the only one that liked Prometheus? Some stupid (stupid) decisions were made, but overall I will still watch it again. Maybe its because I think it just looks amazing, those space and landscape shots, love it.

I never wanted an Alien movie from it like a lot of people did though.

Am I the only one that liked Prometheus? Some stupid (stupid) decisions were made, but overall I will still watch it again. Maybe its because I think it just looks amazing, those space and landscape shots, love it.

I really liked it, I think it's a great film but I understand why people weren't happy, it was billed as a origin's prequel that would explain how alien began but it didn't it started to but then finished leaving it open for another, Scott should have originally said I'm making a series of prequels like star wars or whatever that will explain and lead into alien (which he's saying now). What I took from Prometheus is that we where put on earth by this superior race & evolved enough to find them, then it gets unclear, they also might have put the xomorphs (not sure of spelling) on a different planet but they evolved to rapidly and became hostile and dangerous and maybe tried to stop them. Hopefully we find out in the next one what that was all about & why the engineer's did this in the first place an experiment? For game hunting (like predator) or food? for resources that they could take at will? To keep their own species alive? Whatever Scott decides I hope we're told in paradise lost (a poem about Adam & eve and their creator) and then his sequel's can go from there, just please don't let him drag out the revile.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

I think a lot of it's problems (and the source of many complaints) were as a result of the final edit. I read a great article a few years back (I can't remember where now) on what was shot but cut out. I don't doubt that a "final cut" will appear at some stage that will get rid of lots of the narrative holes.

Regardless, I still thought Prometheus was great.

I'll give it the positives, sets were amazing, sound was great and acting by Fassbender was good too.

But that giant facehugger and the final "Xenomorph" just killed it for me.

Total crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

PTB wrote: »
    I really liked it, I think it's a great film but I understand why people weren't happy, it was billed as a origin's prequel that would explain how alien began but it didn't it started to but then finished leaving it open for another, Scott should have originally said I'm making a series of prequels like star wars or whatever that will explain and lead into alien (which he's saying now). What I took from Prometheus is that we where put on earth by this superior race & evolved enough to find them, then it gets unclear, they also might have put the xomorphs (not sure of spelling) on a different planet but they evolved to rapidly and became hostile and dangerous and maybe tried to stop them. Hopefully we find out in the next one what that was all about & why the engineer's did this in the first place an experiment? For game hunting (like predator) or food? for resources that they could take at will? To keep their own species alive? Whatever Scott decides I hope we're told in paradise lost (a poem about Adam & eve and their creator) and then his sequel's can go from there, just please don't let him drag out the revile.

Prometheus has plenty of problems and I acknowledge that but the questions you have there were answered in the movie...

Short answer...

They created us (or at least moved us along in evolution) but then realised we're a total waste of a species (there's a whole Jesus subtext if you want to go into that but you don't have to to understand what's going on) and so decided to use their weapon of mass destruction (the goo, which creates all manner of evil creatures designed to kill) to wipe us out. On the planet we see, there was a breakout of that goo and their weapon turned on them resulting in the dead planet (with a sole surviving engineer). All of that is in the movie and is a nice neat plot but it is padded with a lot of less clear stuff that makes the movie appear more complicated than it really is.

The obvious question is "why didn't they just leave it at the "Aliens" for the weapon of mass destruction? Why introduce the goo at all?" I think this is a core dividing point with Prometheus. It all would have been much more straightforward if we had facehuggers, not evolving goo but then, IMO, you loose all thematic/religious/"evil creates evil" stuff in the background which my inner nerd loved. Also, the goo made it more than just an Alien prequel. It expanded on the universe a bit and gave us the origin of the species. They were engineered, just like us.

The giant facehugger at the end though... stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is the upcoming 'Alien' film I'm most interested in. Granted, this is primarily because a) I don't really believe there is a need for any more Alien films in the first place and b) because I think Neill Blomkamp is a mediocre director who has consistently failed to follow through on his theoretically interesting ideas, and has little in the way of directorial flair or imagination to separate him from the crowd.

But I also kinda liked Prometheus too. It's a deeply flawed film, although I tend to be more willing to forgive (or ignore) plot holes and logical leaps than many. Its tenuous connection with Scott's own masterpiece felt like a burden more than anything. Yet visually it was magnificent, with several very effective sequences and setpieces. It boasted an extremely capable cast, and flirted with ideas and themes that are typically absent from big budget sci-fi. I must concede that those ideas are often confused and disjointed, but I came out of the cinema at least curious and pleased that I'd seen a blockbuster that at the very least offered a pleasingly and uncommonly vivid big screen treat.

So, unnecessary though all these Alien sequels/prequels fundamentally are, there was enough of interest in Prometheus to suggest that with a bit of care there's the potential for an intriguing follow-up (not that this film's screenwriter emboldens much in the way of hope). Whereas Neill Blomkamp's filmography thus far engenders little optimism that he has the directorial chops to offer something radical and unique, or indeed something that doesn't abandon its bold concept in favour of another bland shoot 'em up.

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

I enjoyed Prometheus but on repeated viewings it becomes apparent that some parts of the script were written by Beavis and Butthead wannabes. Minor characters with lines so bad you want to slap them! But overall I liked it, the pros far outweigh the cons.

I'll give it the positives, sets were amazing, sound was great and acting by Fassbender was good too.

But that giant facehugger and the final "Xenomorph" just killed it for me.

Total crap
    The giant face hugger was bad and he should have ended it with an Xenomorph more like the one in Alien.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

Prometheus was immensely enjoyable as a visual spectacle alone. Would go see the future films for that part alone.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Prometheus has plenty of problems and I acknowledge that but the questions you have there were answered in the movie...

Short answer...

They created us (or at least moved us along in evolution) but then realised we're a total waste of a species (there's a whole Jesus subtext if you want to go into that but you don't have to to understand what's going on) and so decided to use their weapon of mass destruction (the goo, which creates all manner of evil creatures designed to kill) to wipe us out. On the planet we see, there was a breakout of that goo and their weapon turned on them resulting in the dead planet (with a sole surviving engineer). All of that is in the movie and is a nice neat plot but it is padded with a lot of less clear stuff that makes the movie appear more complicated than it really is.

The obvious question is "why didn't they just leave it at the "Aliens" for the weapon of mass destruction? Why introduce the goo at all?" I think this is a core dividing point with Prometheus. It all would have been much more straightforward if we had facehuggers, not evolving goo but then, IMO, you loose all thematic/religious/"evil creates evil" stuff in the background which my inner nerd loved. Also, the goo made it more than just an Alien prequel. It expanded on the universe a bit and gave us the origin of the species. They were engineered, just like us.

The giant facehugger at the end though... stupid.

Thanks for this, obviously I'm not to up too speed, (i haven't seen it since it first came out) the reason i liked it is because now paradise lost & the sequel's can be what Prometheus was supposed to be and Prometheus will stand as a 'but what happened at the very beginning' movie that some can over look if they want.

Going forward i think now paradise lost won't have to use up time to introduce characters and Xenomorph origin's and it can get straight into it, obviously the Xenomorph will have to evolve at least once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've watched it a few times and really enjoyed it. There was enough pieces of indicate you were in the Alien world, but it felt different and I liked it very much.

Film 4 doing a Scott run at the moment and just watched it the othernight, I still enjoy it thoroughly.

Bit confused as to what is happening here though. But I'm all for more Alien based films. And very much interested to see the Prometheus franchise continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is getting silly now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

What? So the next film is a sequel to Prometheus and will presumably carry on(ish) from where that left off. Then there's a third movie which will explain the origins of the Xenomorphs? Why the Alien in the title?

Edit:

So there'll be a Xenomorph in the sequel and they'll discover the origin of them in the third...

Advertisement