Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You missed two apparently intelligent people try to escape a falling/rolling object by running in the same direction it was falling/rolling in.

That was in a trailer I did see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

In Alien, one of the first things they find on the planet is a dead guy in a space suit. The glass panel on the helmet has been smashed right through. In Prometheus, one of the first guys to die (I think the very first, possibly), has a face hugger smash through his helmet. Can't remember the timecode, I'd have to watch it again.

Is there a need for spoilers about Prometheus and Alien? Thought it'd be a given. It'd be like putting up spoilers for Avengers in the Avengers 2 thread.

I don't think there was any facehugger (in the traditional sense) in Prometheus, just that giant octopus facehugger and it doesn't smash through the space jockeys helmet.

The only helmet breakage was the acid through the rock guy's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

I enjoyed Prometheus, I think I forced myself to due to the absolute mind boggling stories it could spawn and tap into. My analogy for the delivery of the final cut is this though: imagine coming across a bottle of your favourite discontinued soda pop, it hasn't been around for years and you find this lone bottle still in date. You can see it inside, all tasty and nostalgic. Then as you open it, it fizzes up and sprays all over you, you have your favourite soda pop, you got a small sweet taste but you're pee'ed off cos it's such a mess and you didn't get a satisfying gulp.
    I really hope they don't fizz up the sequel as much as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What grated for me was that Prometheus was quite obviously written to be set on LV-426 and they decided to change the name of the planet in order to pave the way for sequels. Having those canisters instead of eggs was completely daft too, the way they convoluted the Alien's evolution/life cycle makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Exactly, it goes from all purpose goo which either destroys, infects, or turns people into monsters depending on what the scene requires, to a parasite, to a giant creature which infects another creature, to sub- xenomorph looking thing. If they work the aliens we know into it somehow as weapons then that's one thing but if they continue with the thing at the end being the predecessor to the ones from the original films then balls to that, doesnt make a lick of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

In Alien, one of the first things they find on the planet is a dead guy in a space suit. The glass panel on the helmet has been smashed right through. In Prometheus, one of the first guys to die (I think the very first, possibly), has a face hugger smash through his helmet. Can't remember the timecode, I'd have to watch it again.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There weren't any facehuggers in Prometheus, good chance it was a facehuggers in the original draft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Prometheus' was a dreadful picture, full of silly characters and truly stupid situations.

I simply don't consider it as part of the Aliens franchise, which has to be one of the most abused franchises in the history of cinema.

There hasn't been anything decent since 1992's 'Alien 3' and even that was a relatively poor sequel. But 'Alien Resurrection' really should have killed the whole thing dead. That film is even worse than 'Prometheus'.

In fact it simply have been a stand alone series and may have stood a better chance, if the "Aliens" we know hadn't been shorehorned into it. But, then again, maybe it's because it's "part" of the Aliens universe that it's given a pass by a lot of people.

It really is a thick film though. Every time I think of Naomi Rapeface running around after her "Alien abortion" like nothing happened at all, I have to laugh. Also the inability of the two women to turn left or right when running away from a rolling spaceship is a perfect example of why this film is mind numbing.

Tony EH wrote: »

It really is a thick film though. Every time I think of Naomi Rapeface running around after her "Alien abortion" like nothing happened at all, I have to laugh. Also the inability of the two women to turn left or right when running away from a rolling spaceship is a perfect example of why this film is mind numbing.

If you look at the wide shot there is debris falling off the ship to the sides as well afaik but still, better chance dodging that than the humongous most definitely going to squash you thing rolling behind you.

I hated that I knew that's how it'd climax too, the trailer gave away both that shot and the ship crashing, well thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, I've tried to make excuses for that scene, but it always comes down to the same problem of bad writing.

It would have worked much better if the girls had actually turned out of the way of the rolling spaceship and Naomi made it, but Charlize fell and got squashed.

Same result, less stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

People faced with life and death situations don't always behave rationally. Jumping out of burning skyscrapers, etc. Instinctively I think most people's reaction would be to run away from the crashing object, even if they had no chance of outrunning it.

Either way, I don't see how it's a problem with the writing. The writer isn't responsible for blocking and storyboarding action sequences. Most of the plot related problems in the film were caused by Scott's overzealous editing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

In addition to the awful script and dire editing, another thing that absolutely ruined the first one was the bloody trailer. Who ever decided to show the Prometheus ramming the alien ship in the trailer thus removing all tension from the third act needs shooting.

In addition to the awful script and dire editing, another thing that absolutely ruined the first one was the bloody trailer.

No, for once I think they did everyone a favour by warning them that this movie was really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm waiting for the Alien vs Predator vs Space Jockey film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I enjoyed Prometheus.

I think the problem was that alot of people were expecting an "Alien" movie and were left wanting.

Its not a classic by any means but it was an interesting arc in the Alien universe that has potential for growth.

Nope, super Christian scientist taking things on faith over fact
    Geologist with super fancy map drones getting lost
    XeoBiologist running away, like a wimp, from an alien corpse but wanting to pet the most freaky alien snake thing ever

Should I continue? (that would actually be hard as I have tried to forget that film

Nope, super Christian scientist taking things on faith over fact
    Geologist with super fancy map drones getting lost
    XeoBiologist running away, like a wimp, from an alien corpse but wanting to pet the most freaky alien snake thing ever

Should I continue? (that would actually be hard as I have tried to forget that film

Scientist spends career looking for aliens, finds them, makes biggest discovery in the history of mankind, gets drunk and thinks trip was a waste because he didnt meet an alive alien.

Old man hiding on ship all the time, financed trip, hid on ship and faked death because of...reasons.

Aliens are pissed off at humans because of..reasons.

Black goo which turns aliens into opening credit graphics, humans into zombies and/or diseased people and makes woman who can have no babies give birth to squid..thing, which in turn face sexes alien which then gives birth to the alien we know..kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Trillion dollar mission with a crew that don't know each other and are hostile and don't work well together.
    In Alien and Aliens you mostly had a group of people who communicated, trusted and respected each other.

The idiot crew in this movie completely ruined it for me! only redeeming character was David and now he's only a head! Bishop's head sucked in ALIEN 3!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

KilOit wrote: »

The idiot crew in this movie completely ruined it for me! only redeeming character was David and now he's only a head! Bishop's head sucked in ALIEN 3!

He's a robot, they can get him a new body. There's talk of multiple Davids in the sequel anyway, one of them's bound to have a body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I only watched Prometheus once and was a bit distracted so will have to watch again some day .

Is there a better version or a directors cut or extended version udder than original?

One of the main problems is the HYPE, it had massive hype beforehand remember it...
    so when it turned out not the best or a dud the disappointment was double

Alien and aliens are brilliant but when you watch those movies the characters also make stupid decisions

Prometheus 2 -- we will see I won't be loosing sleep

Alien and aliens are brilliant but when you watch those movies the characters also make stupid decisions

Yes and no.

The crew in Alien make some of the most famous stupid decisions ever - Split up and look for the cat!

But they are just space truckers, not military and not scientists. The one scientist on board is actively helping the alien, and Ripley and Dallas do their best.

In Aliens, Gorman is useless and Burke is a sleazeball traitor, but the others do their best, too.

There is nothing in either like the entire crew being hand-picked scientists who promptly lose their minds when the titles roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It still had one of my favourite trailers:

This IMAX one had some snazzy editing:

Like Krudler said, including the Prometheus crashing into the ship into the marketing was a stupid decision for such a pivotal moment. You knew full well what was going to happen before the pilots themselves knew.

Which was funny considering how much people loved how little the initial teasers and trailers showed with them dissecting the shìt out of them and coming up with all sorts of theories :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It still had one of my favourite trailers:

This IMAX one had some snazzy editing:

Like Krudler said, including the Prometheus crashing into the ship into the marketing was a stupid decision for such a pivotal moment. You knew full well what was going to happen before the pilots themselves knew.

Which was funny considering how much people loved how little the initial teasers and trailers showed with them dissecting the shìt out of them and coming up with all sorts of theories :pac:

Love the first trailer :), enjoyed the film in the cinema but ater getting it on Bluray didn't get past about 15 minutes as all I could think of were all the silly bits yet to come that I was able to let slide while watching in (fake) IMAX because the film looked so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Yes and no.

The crew in Alien make some of the most famous stupid decisions ever - Split up and look for the cat!

But they are just space truckers, not military and not scientists. The one scientist on board is actively helping the alien, and Ripley and Dallas do their best.

In Aliens, Gorman is useless and Burke is a sleazeball traitor, but the others do their best, too.

There is nothing in either like the entire crew being hand-picked scientists who promptly lose their minds when the titles roll.

Such an accurate description, for such an expensive mission, the crew of Prometheus were really clueless..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

So it looks like the next Alien film has its title, and its not Prometheus 2. I confess I don't know the paradise lost poem Mr Scott mentions, to wikipedia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

And there may be a further trilogy with this film being the first of the trilogy and the final instalment of the trilogy leaving off chronologically just before where the first Alien film started

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So we are going to get two new Alien films by two different Directors.

Is this going to done by Neil Bloomkamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Is this going to done by Neil Bloomkamp?

Bloomkamps film will be based after aliens ( alien 2) and is apparently going to ignore alien 3

Getting a bit of a star wars feel off this whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Hope this doesn't mean we won't be getting Blomkamp's Alien 5. To hell with Prometheus 2 or whatever he wants to call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Both Alien films are being made, Scott directing Paradise Lost and Blomkamp the other with Scott producing both.

Paradise Lost will be released before Blomkamp's film.

Scott:

"But how does this fit in with Alien 5? Neill Blomkamp fans shouldn't fret, as his directing of Alien 5 is still planned. Says Scott: "I'm producing it. The design is for it to go out next, after [Alien: Paradise Lost]. This will go out first. It’s more associated with Ripley, it’s a completely different angle, it’s more of a sequel. I’m coming in from the back end."

Advertisement