Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have a read of the original script of Prometheus (when it was still called Alien: Engineers). It explains everything. The engineers found the deacon on a planet (this is the very life form depicted in the mural) They worshiped it as the thought is was the greatest example of evolution. The substance that the engineer drinks at the start of Prometheus is the actual blood of the deacon.

Ah...so the Deacon isn't what we've come to know as a Xenomorph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ah...so the Deacon isn't what we've come to know as a Xenomorph?

Well, bear in mind the draft script is not cannon. They found the deacon and for whatever reason, knew it was the last one. They tried to recreate one by seeding planets (like we saw at the start of Prometheus)

A summary you may find interesting:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=301490

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have a read of the original script of Prometheus (when it was still called Alien: Engineers). It explains everything. The engineers found the deacon on a planet (this is the very life form depicted in the mural) They worshiped it as the thought is was the greatest example of evolution. The substance that the engineer drinks at the start of Prometheus is the actual blood of the deacon.

As bad as Ridley Scott's destruction of the Alien series has been, the above doesn't sound any better.

How can a supposedly intelligent set of beings, like the "Engineers" think that the deacon or xenomorph be "the greatest example of evolution", or worse yet, "worship" it. These creatures just breed and destroy everything. Not exactly a high standard of evolution.

I suppose one could say that about these piss poor Alien prequels too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If there's one positive to be taken out of the Fox-Disney merger, it's that apparently future Alien (and DieHard, to name another) projects have been shelved. The franchise is dead, the inherent mystery and danger deriving from this unknowable horror eroded by Scott's two followups. Prometheus still gets a pass from me, if only because it kept that mystery just about contained behind the veil of the ruined Engineer ship. Covenant blew that mystery out of the water though, and as said above, reduced the xenomorphs to an invention by a mad-scientist-android. Welp. From a cosmic horror, to a Frankenstein's monster, what a comedown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tony EH wrote: »
    As bad as Ridley Scott's destruction of the Alien series has been, the above doesn't sound any better.

How can a supposedly intelligent set of beings, like the "Engineers" think that the deacon or xenomorph be "the greatest example of evolution", or worse yet, "worship" it. These creatures just breed and destroy everything. Not exactly a high standard of evolution.

I suppose one could say that about these piss poor Alien prequels too.

True enough. I would say that had they made Covenant at the time is was called Paradise Lost, it would have lifted the first film though.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the recent films for all their flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

"I'll do the fingering".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Prometheus was great but this Covenant was absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Prometheus gets a rough time for some reason but I thought it was the best film since Aliens and genuinely a great, moody and atmospheric film with decent horror elements. Covenant was fairly terrible, totally brainless and destroyed the mystery and potential surrounding the origin of the Xeno. I'd say Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, Alien3, Covenant, Resurrection, but the last two are particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Homelander wrote: »
    Prometheus gets a rough time for some reason but I thought it was the best film since Aliens and genuinely a great, moody and atmospheric film with decent horror elements.

I agree but some of the characters were ropey and the dialogue was atrocious in places. Still thoroughly enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement